Do you think the Jets really want to pay Maye?

Jets say they're working toward an extension with Maye after brining in six guys with experience at safety:

Lamarcus Joyner

Jamien Sherwood

Hamsah Nasirildeen

Michael Carter

Jordyn Peters

Brendon White

and you could also make a case for UDFA Isaiah Dunn who is listed as a CB but who some feel should transition to safety in the NFL.

I mean, I know some of these guys are expected to transition to LB and some won't make the roster, but that's too big a number to ignore IMO.  Bringing in six (potentially seven) guys who can play safety while Maye is in the final year of his deal sure looks like they'd like to find his replacement at 20% of the price Maye will cost.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

I hear you, but at some point you have to start keeping your best players. We can get him at 3/$36 with $26m guaranteed. Team option for 3rd year. 
Will be off the books when QW comes due. need veteran leadership with these young guys

Exactly give them two-year contract with a throw in optional 3rd year

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Facts said:

You know what they say... Safeties win Championships!

Well. To be fair. 

Adams was so good to the point of multiple All Pros Pro Bowls and 1st round picks. 

JD used our Adams picks (1st and 3rd) in order to protect Zach Wilson and open up holes alongside Becton for Michael Carter; by trading up for Vera-Tucker. 

And JD could also have a lottery pick with Seattle's 1st round pick for Jamal Adams come 2022 because Seattle had an absolutely horrible off-season. 

I never wanted to trade Jamal to Dallas for #17. I always said we could get multiple 1st round picks for the kid. That we did. 

JD is the man.

Unloaded Sam and Jamal for picks picks picks and more picks. 

Could be so much fun 2021 A.) Rooting for Jets WINS and B.) Rooting for Carolina and Seattle LOSES. 

Say what you say about Jamal but he was on everyone's top 30 list. His on field play profited us an exciting future. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Jets say they're working toward an extension with Maye after brining in six guys with experience at safety:

Lamarcus Joyner

Jamien Sherwood

Hamsah Nasirildeen

Michael Carter

Jordyn Peters

Brendon White

and you could also make a case for UDFA Isaiah Dunn who is listed as a CB but who some feel should transition to safety in the NFL.

I mean, I know some of these guys are expected to transition to LB and some won't make the roster, but that's too big a number to ignore IMO.  Bringing in six (potentially seven) guys who can play safety while Maye is in the final year of his deal sure looks like they'd like to find his replacement at 20% of the price Maye will cost.

F no they don't. Why would they. He is a safety

That money is going elsewhere besides Maye. Writings on the wall.  1 - You dont draft a multitude of DB’s and safeties over the span of 2 drafts. 2 - JD signed yet another safety in Joyner to give all these rookies time to come up to speed.  3- JD just last year traded away and refused to pay top dollar for an ‘all pro’ safety in Adams. It’s obvious JD looks at the safety position as secondary and isn’t going to splurge on a big contract there. Maye is a good player but he’s not going to get what he wants from JD. This will be his last year as a Jet. 

Unlike his predecessor, JD understands the (un)importance of the safety position. That's why he shipped Jamal off, and why Maye will be replaced by late round picks in the near future.

Maye is tagged. My guess is JD will trade him at some point.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, KRL said:

If Maye is looking for a 5 year deal (at 28), I believe Douglas will use the franchise
tag to his advantage and tag him this year and next.  If Maye is agreeable to a 3 year
deal I think something gets done, I don't see Douglas wanting to pay a 32 year old
safety 10+ million a year  

I didn't realize that he's 28. Same age as my daughter, who I really don't consider to be all that old, lol. That changes my thinking and I think you may be right. Letting him just play on the tag this year is probably the best move. See how he fares in Saleh's defense, as well as seeing what he has in the safety pipeline before making a decision about him beyond this season. I could definitely see him being one & done. 

There are only 12 safeties averaging over $10M/year in the league and Maye is now one of them. Tyrann Mathieu and Devin McCourty are the only guys on that list older than Maye. Doesn't look promising for him. 

• Upvote 2

I would prefer we not keep older Jets players and add in a few vets from winning organizations who have similiar skill sets.  The idea that in order to create continuity we have to pay draft picks and players who were developed by coaching staffs that none of us respect because they wore our uniform seems childish.  We need to build a team around a young group of players developed by this coaching staff and spend our money on players who have been drafted, coached and played for winning teams.  

My view is the exact opposite of Bits.  We need to get rid of former Jets and pay guys who know how to win, want to be here and will buy in.  The Jets are building a team with a group of young players that were drafted together and will grow together.  Don't surround them with disgruntled losers.  

Getting rid of Jamal for value and letting Robbie go was fine.  Maye has a decision to make.  Does he want to be part of the solution, get paid to a reasonable 3 year deal buy in or see you later. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

they don't need to pay Maye.  They can sign Jamal Adams after Seattle releases him after the season.

I can’t wait for Jamal to become a free agent and then the Panthers sign him for a ridiculous deal during Sh*tty Sam’s 5th year option and they completely implode. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, varjet said:

Maye is the free safety, Hamsah is the strong safety, and Ashtyn is the wasted draft pick. 

You got to Ashtyn was a wasted pick off of one year post draft?

Quinnen and others still havent taught people anything

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Let him walk

He’s just a remembrance of bad drafting 

back to back safeties and picked over Cook 

Trade him. Get a pick. JD used like ? picks on DB’s and safeties in last 2 drafts. If JD got 2 #1’s for Adams, he could get a nice pick in return for Maye.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets favor open cap space over paying for players 

They have the third most free space in the league 

It's not like the guy is 25.  They could tag him again next year and he would be nearly 30 years old.  But you eventually have to pay one of your own guys.  Bad for morale if you don't.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, varjet said:

Maye is the free safety, Hamsah is the strong safety, and Ashtyn is the wasted draft pick. 

It’s awfully early to throw the hat in on Davis. Who knows what position Ulbrecht & Saleh see for him. Top level athlete.... let’s see where they line him up in camp?

• Upvote 4