Do you think the Jets really want to pay Maye?

8 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I never wanted him. 

I disliked the pick the moment we passed on my FSU Dalvin Cook #4!

Only to watch Cook go right after us to Minnesota. 

I was just so sick of watching us neglect RB year after year during the draft. 

With that said.

Now that JD attacked RB with Michael Carter? 

Maye although pushing 30 is a keeper. Not an All-Pro. I've talked bad about him but he's a keeper. 

Because Quinnen Williams. Lawson.  CJ Mosley and Marcus Maye are 4 key players who will run through brick walls for coach Saleh. Really good start. 

I hated the ways Gregg Williams used Marcus Maye. Instead of making him play physical. Let him actually roam centerfield as a ball hawk. 

Never thought I'd say this. But give Maye a pass rush and he could become special. 

I agree, cook was the correct pick unfortunately we had a moron in charge. Minnesota must have been in shock to see us take Maye.

That said, I do hope we get an extension but agree we probably trade him. Also, don’t dismiss Carter. Is he a workhorse #1 back? Probably not, but remember how awesome it was having a weapon like Leon Washington?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Jets need to show the new players that they will take care of their own and pay for good play. So as much as they don't want to pay Maye he has been a good player thru bad times so don't overpay f

I hear you, but at some point you have to start keeping your best players. We can get him at 3/$36 with $26m guaranteed. Team option for 3rd year.  Will be off the books when QW comes due. need vete

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets favor open cap space over paying for players 

They have the third most free space in the league 

:yawn:

• Haha 2

The quicker we get rid of the stench of Maccagnan, the better. JD will want to re-sign his own players. I wouldn't be shocked if Quinnen is one of the few holdovers that JD re-signs.

If Maye excels in Saleh's system, he will be taken care of. If he is ok in Saleh's system, he is getting franchised one more time, and then bye bye. 

• Upvote 2

I think they’ll try to sign him. But won’t overpay or give in to any ridiculous demand by Mayes side. 
If they don’t agree, he plays on the tag, they see what they have with everyone else then re evaluate next off season. 

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I just cant imagine a safety is a position Joe D wants to spend money on right now.  

Ill say Joe D will make him a fair offer and maye will decline because he knows he would get much more on the open market.

Depends on what the definition of a fair offer is.

Maye is making $9.5 Million this year on the franchise tag, and this is Maye's only real shot at a quality contract, being that he is 28 years old, and realistically he is good for a 4 year contract, and that is all.

I believe that Made is worth $12 M per year for 4 years, with a guarantee of $30 Million.

I would not give him a penny more than that.  Does Maye think he is worth more than that?  My guess is he does believe that, and this is why it will be difficult to sign him.  Will he be worth more in free agency after this year?  I honestly don't believe he is worth more than that.  I hope he and his agent come to their senses and sign a contract.

On the other hand, the Jets hold all the cards.  After this season, the Jets can franchise tag him again for next year, at a cost of $9.5 M + 20%, which would put him around $11.4 Million for next year.

If my calculations are correct, it would be very beneficial for Maye to sign the contract that I just outlined.

In Jets best interest to extend Maye as long as the terms are reasonable. I think he will be even more effective in Saleh's scheme than Williams.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

It’s awfully early to throw the hat in on Davis. Who knows what position Ulbrecht & Saleh see for him. Top level athlete.... let’s see where they line him up in camp?

No.

He appeared in 10 games.  10

We shlt on Williams and Gase but now they somehow got the best out of Davis so the story is written.

Get with the program. 😎

6 minutes ago, Jethead said:

In Jets best interest to extend Maye as long as the terms are reasonable. I think he will be even more effective in Saleh's scheme than Williams.

Hes not only their best S but the only one who is a given to start.

Giving him the 5 years he wants but have an out after two or probably three years is what hes going to get when all is said and done

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Well. To be fair. 

Adams was so good to the point of multiple All Pros Pro Bowls and 1st round picks. 

JD used our Adams picks (1st and 3rd) in order to protect Zach Wilson and open up holes alongside Becton for Michael Carter; by trading up for Vera-Tucker. 

And JD could also have a lottery pick with Seattle's 1st round pick for Jamal Adams come 2022 because Seattle had an absolutely horrible off-season. 

I never wanted to trade Jamal to Dallas for #17. I always said we could get multiple 1st round picks for the kid. That we did. 

JD is the man.

Unloaded Sam and Jamal for picks picks picks and more picks. 

Could be so much fun 2021 A.) Rooting for Jets WINS and B.) Rooting for Carolina and Seattle LOSES. 

Say what you say about Jamal but he was on everyone's top 30 list. His on field play profited us an exciting future. 

I’m tired of the “JD is the man” mantra.

Let me know when we win more than 7 games. 

11 minutes ago, Alka said:

Depends on what the definition of a fair offer is.

Maye is making $9.5 Million this year on the franchise tag, and this is Maye's only real shot at a quality contract, being that he is 28 years old, and realistically he is good for a 4 year contract, and that is all.

I believe that Made is worth $12 M per year for 4 years, with a guarantee of $30 Million.

I would not give him a penny more than that.  Does Maye think he is worth more than that?  My guess is he does believe that, and this is why it will be difficult to sign him.  Will he be worth more in free agency after this year?  I honestly don't believe he is worth more than that.  I hope he and his agent come to their senses and sign a contract.

On the other hand, the Jets hold all the cards.  After this season, the Jets can franchise tag him again for next year, at a cost of $9.5 M + 20%, which would put him around $11.4 Million for next year.

If my calculations are correct, it would be very beneficial for Maye to sign the contract that I just outlined.

Just to correct my post, the Jets are paying Maye around $10.6 Million on the franchise tag this year, and if they franchise him next year, the Jets would pay Maye $13.35 Million in 2022.

It's funny, but if you add those 2 years together and divide by 2, he would be getting an average of $12 M per year for these next 2 years.  Guaranteeing him $30M would benefit Maye in the case that he gets a career ending injury.  I think this is a very fair deal for both sides.

• Upvote 2
41 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I think they’ll try to sign him. But won’t overpay or give in to any ridiculous demand by Mayes side. 
If they don’t agree, he plays on the tag, they see what they have with everyone else then re evaluate next off season. 

Agree. JD will never negotiate from a position of weakness. Plan A: sign Maye to a Jet friendly contract. Plan B: they got people behind Maye that will succeed so they franchise or trade him next year.  Franchise him if they feel that Davis or whoever is not ready.

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets favor open cap space over paying for players 

They have the third most free space in the league 

Yep and fans we act like we won the lottery when we draft a rare hit and are able to get back 75% of the draft capital used to acquire in trade value before having to pay him.

• Upvote 1

My guess is that Douglas would prefer to sign him to a "reasonable" long term deal but that the sides will be far apart. This is Maye's one chance to truly cash in, I don't think he's taking a hometown discount for a team that has been terrible the entire time he's been there.

My guess is he walks after this year.

I don’t think JD or the organization as a whole have a problem paying good players from MaCagnans era ( or error is more like it ) which Maye is a part of and one of a handful of players left over from the old regime that is worth a second contract. With that said I agree with what most of the people who have posted in that it should be a fair contract for both sides as I would like to see him back just not at an exorbitant price 

• Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yep and fans we act like we won the lottery when we draft a rare hit and are able to get back 75% of the draft capital used to acquire in trade value before having to pay him.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

No.

He appeared in 10 games.  10

We shlt on Williams and Gase but now they somehow got the best out of Davis so the story is written.

Get with the program. 😎

I guess we’ll see if you and JD have the same thought process. I look forward to that. 

• Confused 1
4 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

It's not like the guy is 25.  They could tag him again next year and he would be nearly 30 years old.  But you eventually have to pay one of your own guys.  Bad for morale if you don't.

I don't even like Marcus Maye but the Jets unwillingness to pay their own players has become a detriment to the franchise 

the players have learned that the path to the playoffs on the Jets is to ball out and get traded 

the salary cap is exploited by PAYING stars. Look at Kansas City. Paying Maye would actually create more cap space in the short term, and the cap goes up every year.  The cap is a joke. there's no reason to be this far below. It's Jacksonville, the Jets and Cinci. Aka our high pick draft buddies every year. 

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I guess we’ll see if you and JD have the same thought process. I look forward to that. 

Yeah, keep checking for updates or whatever youre trying to say. 

Or since you got snippy with me for agreeing with you, skip all of that.

don't get it canadian GIF by CBC

• Confused 1
32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't even like Marcus Maye but the Jets unwillingness to pay their own players has become a detriment to the franchise 

the players have learned that the path to the playoffs on the Jets is to ball out and get traded 

the salary cap is exploited by PAYING stars. Look at Kansas City. Paying Maye would actually create more cap space in the short term, and the cap goes up every year.  The cap is a joke. there's no reason to be this far below. It's Jacksonville, the Jets and Cinci. Aka our high pick draft buddies every year. 

The Pats were known for shipping out their players when it got expensive plus they were lucky Brady played cheap.

• Upvote 3
29 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They're not players from this staff.  They are players brought in by management that  failed and were let go.  Talk to me when guys Douglas drafted and produced aren’t treated fairly when it’s contract time.  

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

They're not players from this staff.  They are players brought in by management that  failed and were let go.  Talk to me when guys Douglas drafted and produced aren’t treated fairly when it’s contract time.  

Dont bother.  He wants every release or trade of a player into something its not

Hes still butt hurt we traded Adams.  You know because great and he made the playoffs, see?

And of course if they decide Maye isnt worth the money, doesn't rate enough to get what he wants, thats not the reasoning, its that the Jets are cheap.  Another loony claim

• Thumb Down 1
1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Dont bother.  He wants every release or trade of a player into something its not

Hes still butt hurt we traded Adams.  You know because great and he made the playoffs, see?

Since everyone's so interested in what I want: the New York Jets to win games. 

Remember that? Winning? That's the point of this 

not to blow smoke up each other's hoo-hahs all offseason and then act all surprised when the team hasn't won a game for the first 8 weeks of the season 

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The Pats were known for shipping out their players when it got expensive plus they were lucky Brady played cheap.

You misspelled Cheat. 

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

The tag was perfect. It kept him here. But at the end of it, he'll be nearly 30 and wanting a big deal.

He could be a candidate for a mid-season trade if he's not extended to a team-friendly deal. Or he walks after this year and the Jets get the compensatory pick.

Exactly.

Tag him. Let him leave at 30 years old. If he’s healthy he will land a sizable free agent contract and we’ll be eligible for a comp pick. 

It’s like we’re operating like a professionally run organization.....

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Since everyone's so interested in what I want: the New York Jets to win games. 

Remember that? Winning? That's the point of this 

not to blow smoke up each other's hoo-hahs all offseason and then act all surprised when the team hasn't won a game for the first 8 weeks of the season 

You mean not to repeat that the Jets are cheap over and over again?  Or to predict that Wilson will be broken in half and lost for the season in week one?

Its hard to tell 

I think it’s going to be interesting to see how Jamals contract situation plays out in Seattle.  He already has slight egg in his face that he wanted a couple tract a year ago and still doesn’t have on.  That egg will turn into an omelette if he ends up signing for less than what Douglas offered abs I think that is a real possibility.  And  if that happens, how will that impact Mays market outlook and thoughts on the Jets negotiating good faith.  Right now, even with the new regime and feel, I think may have some “I want a new start too ”  mind set based on so many ex teammates, particularly Adam’s leaving.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

I think it’s going to be interesting to see how Jamals contract situation plays out in Seattle.  He already has slight egg in his face that he wanted a couple tract a year ago and still doesn’t have on.  That egg will turn into an omelette if he ends up signing for less than what Douglas offered abs I think that is a real possibility.  And  if that happens, how will that impact Mays market outlook and thoughts on the Jets negotiating good faith.  Right now, even with the new regime and feel, I think may have some “I want a new start too ”  mind set based on so many ex teammates, particularly Adam’s leaving.

His agent, Erik Burkhardt, is up against the wall. No leverage what-so-ever. JD can set the value & EB can try to look like he got MM the best deal possible. Basically above $12m yr/ guaranteed. Maybe get the 3rd year to defer $ and easy to walk away from.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

We draft high because Macc and Idzik drafted like ass.  We have more cap space right now because we dont have players to keep and pay.  

You want to pay players just to pay them. F it, eat up the cap to make you happy.   Macc spent to the cap in 2010 and 2011 and it blew up in his face because he tied the team by limiting flexibility because of the cap.

Most years under this ownership the team was right up to the cap with a small window left in the event of injuries or need.  Now, we'll wait for talent not fans whims 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Most years under this ownership the team was right up to the cap with a small window left in the event of injuries or need.  Now, we'll wait for talent not fans whims 

They could have paid Robby Anderson or the ST All Pro's. They found guys worth paying, despite drafting like ass 

this quote above hasn't been true since the Rex era. 2011 or so was the last time they did what you're describing

ever since then it's been a dance with the cap floor not the cap ceiling