Jump to content

Do you think the Jets really want to pay Maye?


Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's not spending for spend sake it's commitment to winning 

They also could have signed a tight end or at least tried 

They spend less than 75 percent of the league and their record reflects this 

I wonder if any of those poor spenders are winning games 

OK.. at least now you admit that other teams spend less.  For a while there, you claimed that no team spent less.  As I said, when the team finally has players that are worth paying, they will do so.  We all saw what happens when you overpay for garbage (Sanchez).  Thank God they did not make the same mistake with Adams or Darnold. Hopefully they won't over pay our very own JAG safety, the overrated Maye.   I know you want to pay the garbage more than they are worth just so you can say the Jets aren't cheap.   No logic at all to your position, even though you've relented that about a quarter of the league spends less.   

First get the players.  Then spend.  Don't spend on garbage.  Jets have had garbage.  There has been no reason to spend on them other than to please some annoying fans by keeping garbage on the roster.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Jets need to show the new players that they will take care of their own and pay for good play. So as much as they don't want to pay Maye he has been a good player thru bad times so don't overpay f

I hear you, but at some point you have to start keeping your best players. We can get him at 3/$36 with $26m guaranteed. Team option for 3rd year.  Will be off the books when QW comes due. need vete

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe isnt paying guys that he didnt bring here.  Why is that hard to understand?

Once the guys he drafted and brought in are up for a new contracts, players will start getting paid as long as they are worth it.

This is a trend that existed long before JD.

Jets fans hate Jets players to get paid, also.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jgb said:

Jets fans hate Jets players to get paid, also.

Stupid blanket statement.  It's only the garbage players.  Sadly, that's mostly what we have had.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, jgb said:

This is a trend that existed long before JD.

Jets fans hate Jets players to get paid, also.

We agree on so much.  But you've been peddling this clearly false point for so long, dude.  How many times do we have to go back and forth on this before you'll finally admit defeat?

Jets fans were thrilled when Revis was paid in 2010.  That alone disproves the point.  They also were fine with extensions handed to Mangold and Ferguson.  We haven't had a player at a premium position worth paying since Revis, Mangold or Ferguson.  This is the far bigger issue than your "Jets fans are cheap, too" theory.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bitonti said:

It's not spending for spend sake it's commitment to winning 

They also could have signed a tight end or at least tried 

They spend less than 75 percent of the league and their record reflects this 

I wonder if any of those poor spenders are winning games 

How do you know they didn't "try"? Henry and Johnnu Smith are now the 3rd/4th highest paid TEs in the NFL. JD doesn't seem like the type to give "good" TEs salaries that make them the 2 of the highest paid in the NFL. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We agree on so much.  But you've been peddling this clearly false point for so long, dude.  How many times do we have to go back and forth on this before you'll finally admit defeat?

Jets fans were thrilled when Revis was paid in 2010.  That alone disproves the point.  They also were fine with extensions handed to Mangold and Ferguson.  We haven't had a player at a premium position worth paying since Revis, Mangold or Ferguson.  This is the far bigger issue than your "Jets fans are cheap, too" theory.  

Revis is like a Jets hero. Any other jet who gets paid or may get paid, I gotta hear about "fleecing" and "overpaying" like im at my accountants office rather then a fan forum. This fan base is cheap.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, bitonti said:

Since everyone's so interested in what I want: the New York Jets to win games. 

Remember that? Winning? That's the point of this 

not to blow smoke up each other's hoo-hahs all offseason and then act all surprised when the team hasn't won a game for the first 8 weeks of the season 

Takes money to make money is not popular here....

We rather sound smart on a forum in our alternate life where we work in a front office and KNOW THE NUMBERS, rather admitting we work for DSNY and it doesnt effect us at all how much Woody Johnson pays a guy. 

Yes, win, just win

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe isnt paying guys that he didnt bring here.  Why is that hard to understand?

Once the guys he drafted and brought in are up for a new contracts, players will start getting paid as long as they are worth it.

Pretty sure Quinnen will get paid if he continues to evolve into an elite player. 

Maye is a very good (but replaceable) safety who wants to get paid big bucks. That's just not going to happen. I like Maye and want him to stay, but I just can't see JD paying him what he expects to get. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Pretty sure Quinnen will get paid if he continues to evolve into an elite player. 

Maye is a very good (but replaceable) safety who wants to get paid big bucks. That's just not going to happen. I like Maye and want him to stay, but I just can't see JD paying him what he expects to get. 

I think douglas realizes he has to present the intention to pay maye but i doubt he does. He doesn’t fit the athletic profile of what they’re now looking for.  Maye is exactly the type of jets draft pick the past 10 year they’d overpay because they couldn’t draft anyone worth paying on offense or someone who could actually rush the passer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I hope its a short deal (3 years).

He’s getting up there in age, and in a few seasons we’re going to need $ to re-up guys like Bechton and Mims.

Yep, me too.  However, that's the exact kind of deal Maye and his agent would likely reject.  They'd probably either prefer a 1 or 2 year deal so they can double dip, OR a 5-year deal to give him security.  Douglas would want something in the middle.

Hence probably a big reason why nothing has likely gotten done yet.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We agree on so much.  But you've been peddling this clearly false point for so long, dude.  How many times do we have to go back and forth on this before you'll finally admit defeat?

Jets fans were thrilled when Revis was paid in 2010.  That alone disproves the point.  They also were fine with extensions handed to Mangold and Ferguson.  We haven't had a player at a premium position worth paying since Revis, Mangold or Ferguson.  This is the far bigger issue than your "Jets fans are cheap, too" theory.  

Heaven forbid the Sanchez extension be criticized around here.  Jets have forked out tons of money thru the years especially in FA.  Unfortunately, to mostly the wrong players.  Revis, Mangold, Brick were good ones.  The list of awful is much larger.  The Jets are not cheap.  They are stupid.  And this is fairly obvious.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Heaven forbid the Sanchez extension be criticized around here.  Jets have forked out tons of money thru the years especially in FA.  Unfortunately, to mostly the wrong players.  Revis, Mangold, Brick were good ones.  The list of awful is much larger.  The Jets are not cheap.  They are stupid.  And this is fairly obvious.  

definitely not cheap but poor drafting has led to lots of expensive FA signings, esp. on offense.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jets fans were thrilled when Revis was paid in 2010.  That alone disproves the point.  

coincidence that the last time the Jets paid talent, was also the last time they went to the playoffs? 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Jet fans: LETS HIT ON DRAFT PICKS BABY!!

Jet fans when we hit on draft picks: WHOA HES WAY TO MUCH MONEY!!! CUT!

Somehow teams like New Orleans and Kansas City can do whatever they want with the salary cap 

Carolina is carrying 40 million of dead cap and still handing out fifth year options to Darnold as a "cheap bet" 

The Jets were like, there's no ticket sales in 2020? Let's take it out of the roster. 

They were like 90 mil under last year by the time FA hit and they are still top 3 in cap space 

in this very thread people are hoping they don't pay Maye so they can pay Becton 

other teams don't make these Sophie's choices they pay good players and then if they need more cap space, pay them more 

I'm not sure when the last time the Jets have restructured a vet to give him more money. It has to be like a decade ago. Sanchez, right? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

coincidence that the last time the Jets paid talent, was also the last time they went to the playoffs? 

 

 

it was also the last time they actually drafted good players too.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Augustiniak said:

it was also the last time they actually drafted good players too.

The Jets drafted Demario Davis in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft

he played 4 years here rookie contract then went to CLE for 1 year.

he had a 2nd stint with the team in 2017 when they traded Calvin Pryor for him

they let him go unceremoniously 

He's made 2 All Pro teams with the Saints and is like the league's best ILB 

but don't worry, the Jets made up for it by making CJ Mosely the highest paid player on the roster

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they want to keep Maye but similar to Adams Maye and his agents are overvaluing him.  Which will probably lead to him being traded following a Twitter tirade.   I probably would have traded him before free agency and the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, bitonti said:

coincidence that the last time the Jets paid talent, was also the last time they went to the playoffs? 

 

 

Coincidence that the last time the Jets had anything close to playoff talent on the team via draft, free agency or kidnapping was also the last time to the playoffs?

See, I can find a lot of things that correlate to that year too.  You're funny.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We agree on so much.  But you've been peddling this clearly false point for so long, dude.  How many times do we have to go back and forth on this before you'll finally admit defeat?

Jets fans were thrilled when Revis was paid in 2010.  That alone disproves the point.  They also were fine with extensions handed to Mangold and Ferguson.  We haven't had a player at a premium position worth paying since Revis, Mangold or Ferguson.  This is the far bigger issue than your "Jets fans are cheap, too" theory.  

You disagree, that's fine. But for as long as we get glowing threads extoling JAGS ("Dortch the Torch!") while hearing shade thrown at our genuine difference makers like Revis, Gastineau and C-Mart, I'm unlikely to change my mind.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jgb said:

For as long as I believe it.

You disagree, that's fine. But when we get glowing threads extoling "Dortch the Torch!" while hear shade throw at our genuine studs like Revis and C-Mart, I'm unlikely to change my mind.

That's fair.  Maybe the new breed of Jets fans hate paying all players.  A decade is indeed a long time.  I haven't been paying close enough attention to the Millenials (who I am one of, I believe) to be able to establish that one way or the other.  Thus, even though your argument is that Jets fans have ALWAYS been against paying players, you'd end up correct in the end through backdoor means.

I look forward to seeing what happens when QW/Becton/etc are on the extension block, that's for sure!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's fair.  Maybe the new breed of Jets fans hate paying all players.  A decade is indeed a long time.  I haven't been paying close enough attention to the Millenials (who I am one of, I believe) to be able to establish that one way or the other.  Thus, even though your argument is that Jets fans have ALWAYS been against paying players, you'd end up correct in the end through backdoor means.

I look forward to seeing what happens when QW/Becton/etc are on the extension block, that's for sure!

I think the issue is that we've sucked for so long that amassing draft picks and cap space is the substitute for success in many fans' minds.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Stupid blanket statement.  It's only the garbage players.  Sadly, that's mostly what we have had.

Congratulations you've discovered the truism that general statements aren't true in every circumstance.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jgb said:

I think the issue is that we've sucked for so long that amassing draft picks and cap space is the substitute for success in many fans' minds.

Right.  The pursuit of resources rather than the pursuit of success based on making good use of those resources.  You're spot on.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right.  The pursuit of resources rather than the pursuit of success based on making good use of those resources.  You're spot on.  

It makes sense. When in dark times, seek out reasons for hope. Nothing epitomizes hope in sport better than the NFL draft, specifically a highly-drafted QB.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jgb said:

It makes sense. When in dark times, seek out reasons for hope. Nothing epitomizes hope in sport better than the NFL draft, specifically a highly-drafted QB.

Yep.  When you suck, the next best thing to success is accumulating resources, in the hopes that those resources eventually end the suck.  The psychology of it makes perfect sense, even if its really sad.  

At least its better than learned helplessness, where the person (fan) believes there's no hope.  Hope is better than no hope in these instances, every time.  Even if all evidence points towards having no reason to hope.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bitonti said:

coincidence that the last time the Jets paid talent, was also the last time they went to the playoffs? 

 

 

Which led to us in cap hell and 10 years of misery.  Only jet fans are happy spending big bucks to make the playoffs 1 or 2 years then back to hell.

Good thing joe D is here to build a long term success plan.  And he is executing it perfectly.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maye is a good player and seems like a good teammate. He should be re-signed at a value commensurate to the value he brings the team if possible. Maye isn't a game changer on the field but he is a good foundational player who does his job reasonably well. If he wants game changing salary he's going to have to get it somewhere else. Saleh's defense is about versatility. If they overpay for one position they will end up having to overpay for everybody which was one of the problems the team faced in 2011 and 2012. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Pretty sure Quinnen will get paid if he continues to evolve into an elite player. 

Maye is a very good (but replaceable) safety who wants to get paid big bucks. That's just not going to happen. I like Maye and want him to stay, but I just can't see JD paying him what he expects to get. 

What does Maye expect to get paid? Do you have anything from his agent?

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Maye is a good player and seems like a good teammate. He should be re-signed at a value commensurate to the value he brings the team if possible. Maye isn't a game changer on the field but he is a good foundational player who does his job reasonably well. If he wants game changing salary he's going to have to get it somewhere else. Saleh's defense is about versatility. If they overpay for one position they will end up having to overpay for everybody which was one of the problems the team faced in 2011 and 2012. 

 

 

Finally--discussion of the player in question and the specifics of his situation. Much better than joining the conflicts about spending philosophy or adding to the conflicting views about what is the  team and fan behavior in general. Well done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jgb said:

Congratulations you've discovered the truism that general statements aren't true in every circumstance.

 

No. I discovered a stupid blanket statement....  really stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

No. I discovered a stupid blanket statement....  really stupid.

What's next, "Nanny nanny boo boo, you're wrong and I'm right?" What a compelling argumentator you are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Which led to us in cap hell and 10 years of misery.  Only jet fans are happy spending big bucks to make the playoffs 1 or 2 years then back to hell.

Good thing joe D is here to build a long term success plan.  And he is executing it perfectly.

Yeah better to hoard money and never make the playoffs.

Confused Confusion GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...