Do you think the Jets really want to pay Maye?

49 minutes ago, jgb said:

What's next, "Nanny nanny boo boo, you're wrong and I'm right?" What a compelling argumentator you are.

Your statement got what it deserves. This sure ruffles your feathers I see. Ha.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Jets need to show the new players that they will take care of their own and pay for good play. So as much as they don't want to pay Maye he has been a good player thru bad times so don't overpay f

I hear you, but at some point you have to start keeping your best players. We can get him at 3/$36 with $26m guaranteed. Team option for 3rd year.  Will be off the books when QW comes due. need vete

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Pretty sure Quinnen will get paid if he continues to evolve into an elite player. 

Maye is a very good (but replaceable) safety who wants to get paid big bucks. That's just not going to happen. I like Maye and want him to stay, but I just can't see JD paying him what he expects to get. 

Throughout this thread, I still haven't seen what Maye wants in terms of big bucks. 

Does he want big bucks?  What is big bucks?  What is it that he wants, and what does the Jets want to pay him?

I think that there is a lot of mental masterbation going on here, since no one really knows anything, other than the two sides haven't come to any terms.

36 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Your statement got what it deserves. This sure ruffles your feathers I see. Ha.

Yes it's horrible being mocked on a Jets messageboard for my opinions.

Gee, this being the first time that's happened and all.

I mean Saleh said he projects Joyner as the deep safety and Maye as the SS. That kind of confused me as I dont see Maye as a SS. I almost wonder if another trade is coming with Maye.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 minutes ago, Alka said:

Throughout this thread, I still haven't seen what Maye wants in terms of big bucks. 

Does he want big bucks?  What is big bucks?  What is it that he wants, and what does the Jets want to pay him?

I think that there is a lot of mental masterbation going on here, since no one really knows anything, other than the two sides haven't come to any terms.

I haven't seen any credible source mentioning numbers but common sense would suggest he's asking for a decently high number or a deal would have been done already. I suspect JD knew he intended to draft several DB and that would weaken Maye's bargaining position but maybe Maye's bargaining posture pushed JD to draft a replacement. We don't know that Maye's number is unreasonable and the Jets just don't want to pay it. 

If Saleh's time with the 49ers is any indication of what will happen then Maye probably moves on to another team. Saleh had a lot of talent on the front line in 2019 and lost players for 2020 and still put a great defense on the field. JD was probably looking at that as a strong reason to hire Saleh so he could put a competitive defense on the field without having to pay big contracts for it. If that's true then it's highly unlikely Maye receives a top tier offer deserving of a first round pick and one of the few bright spots on the team over his prior contract.

49 minutes ago, Alka said:

Im sure he wants top 5 safety money.  Maybe more.

Im sure the jets would make him anywhere from the 12th-15th best safety type money.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I almost wonder if another trade is coming with Maye.

8 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Maye probably moves on to another team.

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rest My Case GIFs | Tenor

2 hours ago, RSJ said:

I mean Saleh said he projects Joyner as the deep safety and Maye as the SS. That kind of confused me as I dont see Maye as a SS. I almost wonder if another trade is coming with Maye.

Joyner had his best seasons as a free safety. He fell apart when the Raiders tried to play him at cornerback. Maye showed he can thrive last year playing a Jamal Adams role, so he's the strong safety. Not really surprising since Joyner has been a pretty good free safety over the course of his career.

He'll be 29 next year.  I can see giving him a decent deal, but fairly short.  I don't think I like him as much as most of the board, but he is fine.  I probably wouldn't have franchised him, but I guess it makes sense as a quality player that you don't want to pay long-term money.

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Im sure the jets would make him anywhere from the 12th-15th best safety type money.

I agree with the first part of your statement.  You're sure the Jets want to make him the 12-15th best safety money?  You are probably not far off on this, but I would say the Jets are willing to make him around the 10th best safety money.

Did you know that (13) thirteen safeties in the NFL today make at least $10M per year?  And that the top safety makes $15.25 Million per year?

The Jets just thought enough of Maye to franchise him for $10.6 Million this year, so it seems common sense that the Jets are willing to pay him at least that much on a deal.

The fifth best safety makes $14M per year.  

My guess is that a deal can get done at $12M per year, and that both sides need to get there if they want a deal.  If I had to guess, Maye wants around $14M per year, just as you suggest. My guess is that JD is maxing out at $11M per year, and needs Maye to come back to reason.  

It may not happen, but I feel it is in Maye's interest to get there.  He's not getting any younger, and it's not like he has never been injured before.

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I agree with the first part of your statement.  You're sure the Jets want to make him the 12-15th best safety money?  You are probably not far off on this, but I would say the Jets are willing to make him around the 10th best safety money.

Did you know that (13) thirteen safeties in the NFL today make at least $10M per year?  And that the top safety makes $15.25 Million per year?

The Jets just thought enough of Maye to franchise him for $10.6 Million this year, so it seems common sense that the Jets are willing to pay him at least that much on a deal.

The fifth best safety makes $14M per year.  

My guess is that a deal can get done at $12M per year, and that both sides need to get there if they want a deal.  If I had to guess, Maye wants around $14M per year, just as you suggest. My guess is that JD is maxing out at $11M per year, and needs Maye to come back to reason.  

It may not happen, but I feel it is in Maye's interest to get there.  He's not getting any younger, and it's not like he has never been injured before.

According to the pff maye was exactly the 5th rated safety in the league last year 

• Upvote 1

Maye seems to provide a mix of athleticism, coverage ability, smart play and physicality that the Jets do not otherwise have.  

i think Ashtyn was drafted to be the one high FS in Gregg Williams defense, and I don't know how useful he will be.  

Although not the greatest value, to avoid the secondary from being a complete mess, if I were JD I would do my best to get him extended for a few years.

I think 3 years/$33mm seems reasonable, with the first 2 guaranteed, and the Jets having to pick up the third year before FA in year 3.  

I would tell Maye that if he could get a team to guarantee him a third year for $10mm+, and they were willing to give the Jets a 2nd round pick, he could be traded.

Otherwise, if Maye did not want to sign the contract now for a guaranteed $22mm, the Jets would franchise him this year and next year (for slightly more money), and then Maye could figure it out.  

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, varjet said:

Maye seems to provide a mix of athleticism, coverage ability, smart play and physicality that the Jets do not otherwise have.  

i think Ashtyn was drafted to be the one high FS in Gregg Williams defense, and I don't know how useful he will be.  

Although not the greatest value, to avoid the secondary from being a complete mess, if I were JD I would do my best to get him extended for a few years.

I think 3 years/$33mm seems reasonable, with the first 2 guaranteed, and the Jets having to pick up the third year before FA in year 3.  

I would tell Maye that if he could get a team to guarantee him a third year for $10mm+, and they were willing to give the Jets a 2nd round pick, he could be traded.

Otherwise, if Maye did not want to sign the contract now for a guaranteed $22mm, the Jets would franchise him this year and next year (for slightly more money), and then Maye could figure it out.  

It's a crime to nitpick such a good post, but I would clarify  that if the sign-longer and trade scenarios don't happen the second franchise tag isn't a given. The variables  are not just Maye's performance and health but what other options present themselves--Davis showing that he can  perform in an a safety role in the Saleh D (his single-high profile notwithstanding)? a solid draft-able replacement for MM?

On 5/9/2021 at 2:46 PM, bitonti said:

They could have paid Robby Anderson or the ST All Pro's. They found guys worth paying, despite drafting like ass 

this quote above hasn't been true since the Rex era. 2011 or so was the last time they did what you're describing

ever since then it's been a dance with the cap floor not the cap ceiling 

They spent to the cap for most of the time, if not all of Bowles years with the team.  We havent had enough talent and expiring contracts worth keeping in the last 5 years.

You need to stop looking at cap figures in May and thinking that gives you the number the team will play under come September 

• Thumb Down 1
On 5/10/2021 at 1:52 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  When you suck, the next best thing to success is accumulating resources, in the hopes that those resources eventually end the suck.  The psychology of it makes perfect sense, even if its really sad.  

At least its better than learned helplessness, where the person (fan) believes there's no hope.  Hope is better than no hope in these instances, every time.  Even if all evidence points towards having no reason to hope.

Life without Hope...

Is the tic tock of a Heart...

Without any rhythm to beat to.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Alworth said:

It's a crime to nitpick such a good post, but I would clarify  that if the sign-longer and trade scenarios don't happen the second franchise tag isn't a given. The variables  are not just Maye's performance and health but what other options present themselves--Davis showing that he can  perform in an a safety role in the Saleh D (his single-high profile notwithstanding)? a solid draft-able replacement for MM?

I don't think the Jets will or have to guarantee Maye the second Franchise Tag.  

I think the Broncos did something similar with their safety.  Basically tell him that guaranteeing more than 2 years is not on the table, and I am sure JD thinks he can replace MM in next years' draft, if he has not already.  So its basically:

"Marcus-we like you.  Help yourself and us.  take the $22mm guaranteed for you and your family.  We will give you an extra $1mm for Pro Bowl, $2mm for All Pro.     We are not guaranteeing you more than 2 years.   We will franchise you next year if you are healthy and we still want you.  But if you get hurt this year, all you get is this year's tag."

I think that is reasonable.  

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't think the Jets will or have to guarantee Maye the second Franchise Tag.  

I think the Broncos did something similar with their safety.  Basically tell him that guaranteeing more than 2 years is not on the table, and I am sure JD thinks he can replace MM in next years' draft, if he has not already.  So its basically:

"Marcus-we like you.  Help yourself and us.  take the $22mm guaranteed for you and your family.  We will give you an extra $1mm for Pro Bowl, $2mm for All Pro.     We are not guaranteeing you more than 2 years.   We will franchise you next year if you are healthy and we still want you.  But if you get hurt this year, all you get is this year's tag."

I think that is reasonable.  

Understood. I was just looking for you to expand on your initial post.