Who will win the RG position

14 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Yeah I think he used premium picks for the left side.  He can do 2-3 rounders for the right side if the current guys do t work out in the new scheme. Fant should fit in very well in this offense.  RG is easier to replace than lg but like I said, JD has done a good job creating competition  for that spot 

Who best projects as a zone scheme LG among our players?

I have no clue.

15 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'm guessing van roten starts the season at rg.  i think clark was drafted as a left tackle and maybe that's why douglas didn't drft one.

Becton is the left tackle.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

there was a terrible guard (just awful) named Adrien Clarke that scarred us all a couple decades ago that's probably some lingering effect on why no one can spell Cam Clark's name correctly

prediction time:

Dan Feeney will be the right guard

He is four years younger than GVR and has 3 mil of guaranteed money 

Alex Lewis will be cut before June 1 for extra savings

Cam Clark will get a chance to win the job and wash out there, the team will carry him another year as a Swing tackle  

Edoga will be cut after camp because he sucks 

Or Brandon Shell? Or Kelvin Beachum (as a RT)? 

the Jets offensive line is currently 2 good young players on the left, a center that played like garbage last season and no one on the right side who starts for any other NFL team. 

Don't get me wrong, it's better than it was before with just 1 player in Becton. AVT helps. Still a huge work in progress, still likely a bottom 10 group. it's like half a line. 

McGovern played much better the second half of the year.

Fants PFF grade was similar to Bectons.

Thats not to say that we cant and wont eventually have better but if Douglas was that concerned about Fant he would have selected a tackle amongst the multiple DBs he picked on day 3 or even taken one instead of a RB in round 4.   Im more concerned about depth if there are injuries than the quality of the starters

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Fants PFF grade was similar to Bectons.

This one is a mind melter

are we saying the great Pro Bowl snub Mekhi Becton is as average or mediocre as George Fant? 

that these are two similar players?

this is why I don't look at PFF NFL scores. Actually watching the games they are too low on Becton and likely too high on Fant and their McGovern playing better stat was also, probably, a mirage. 

End of the day it's a promising left side, and 3 other guys that JD likes more than everyone else 

• Upvote 1

IMO, the fact that the jets didn’t double dip for Gs or take a C so they could move McGovern to RG means that they do believe Clark can win the RG job this season. None of us have the same kind of insight as the jets do on Clark because the only time he really played was in practice near the end of the season. He only suited up for one game. He was basically Red Shirted.

The only other reason not to select a 2nd interior lineman early in the draft would be that the jets believe in Lewis or GVR, and we know that is not very likely. So, they have to be banking on Clark coming through for them.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

IMO, the fact that the jets didn’t double dip for Gs or take a C so they could move McGovern to RG means that they do believe Clark can win the RG job this season. None of us have the same kind of insight as the jets do on Clark because the only time he really played was in practice near the end of the season. He only suited up for one game. He was basically Red Shirted.

The only other reason not to select a 2nd interior lineman early in the draft would be that the jets believe in Lewis or GVR, and we know that is not very likely. So, they have to be banking on Clark coming through for them.

there's a name no one's mentioned in this thread Corey Levin 

he started 1 game at center for the Titans 2 years ago but appeared in all 16 games that year

what's that, ya say? Corey Levin sucks? 

Maybe that's true. He also has identical combine scores to Cam Clark 

• Upvote 1

Zach Wilson followed on Instagram Tukcer, Becton, Mcgovern Fant, and Cameron Clark. All guaranteed starting offensive linemen and Clark. There was a video clip of Zach meeting Van Rotten yet he is not following him. Something tells me coaching staff told him their projected starting line and so he followed them. Clark it is...

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

are we saying the great Pro Bowl snub Mekhi Becton is as average or mediocre as George Fant? 

this is why I don't look at PFF NFL scores. Actually watching the games they are too low on Becton and likely too high on Fant and their McGovern playing better stat was also, probably, a mirage. 

End of the day it's a promising left side, and 3 other guys that JD likes more than everyone else 

Level of Competition is not considered in my estimation. Becton faces top tier athletes trying to get to Darnolds blind side (where the ghosts live) vs. coming from the right side… mostly 2nd tier guys

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there's a name no one's mentioned in this thread Corey Levin 

he started 1 game at center for the Titans 2 years ago but appeared in all 16 games that year

what's that, ya say? Corey Levin sucks? 

Maybe that's true. He also has identical combine scores to Cam Clark 

Interesting. I missed Levin.

5 hours ago, k-met57 said:

you have to think JD feels good about who we have there, otherwise he would not have given up the 2 picks. I have to say giving up prospects of Brady Christensen, Wyatt Davis, and Darrisaw for AVT is interesting...

AVT should be a long-term starter and the hope is he will be a dominant player.  That said, I would not have moved up to get him.  Nor would I have taken Christensen, Davis or Darrisaw.  None are good fits for our zone scheme.  Davis flat out would not fit.  He is a man blocking gap scheme guard.  A good one, but a gap scheme only player.  If I was going to draft OL early, it would be at #34 and I would have taken Eichenberg, Brown or Radunz.  But - the way things panned out - I would have taken Harris at #23 and Elijah Moore at #34.

My plan would then be to take Meinerz and Green in the third round.  As things worked out, that plan would have succeeded.  Are Meinerz or Green as good as AVT?  Maybe not.  Are they better fits than AVT for our zone scheme?  Yes.  They are and both were available with the two picks we traded for AVT.

I have come to terms with the trade.  With hindsight, my plan would have worked and we would have two starting guards and a stud running back.  But Joe Douglas does not have a crystal ball that tells the future.  He went for the bird in the hand with the trade up to get AVT.  We had to improve the interior line THIS season.  He knew that and brought home the bacon.  Mission accomplished.   

Edit:

It is my hope that Clark wins the derby at right guard by the end of the season.  I expect Feeney at the beginning of the season.  But I do expect an all out war for the job.  McDermott, Lewis, and Van Roten are in the mix too.  It is there for any of them. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2

7 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Zach Wilson followed on Instagram Tukcer, Becton, Mcgovern Fant, and Cameron Clark. All guaranteed starting offensive linemen and Clark. There was a video clip of Zach meeting Van Rotten yet he is not following him. Something tells me coaching staff told him their projected starting line and so he followed them. Clark it is...

he also followed Braxton Berrios and Bryce Huff... so... 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I hope I'm wrong, but the Jets OL right now consists of 2 young studs on the left side, a JAG center, a JAG right tackle, and a collection of bums at RG. And depth is very suspect...right now the swing tackle is Edoga. Yikes. 

Maybe the new coaching staff will elevate some of these guys, or a decent pickup will happen before the regular season starts.

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

AVT is permanent  Markered in as LG.

RG is the question mark.

No so sure about that.

AVT would be a more than serviceable RT...I would wager even better than Fant.

I think we going to see a lot of movement along our OL as they figure out everyone's 'best' role...especially if they can pick up another OG/OC from cuts/waivers/cap casualties.

40 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

No so sure about that.

AVT would be a more than serviceable RT...I would wager even better than Fant.

I think we going to see a lot of movement along our OL as they figure out everyone's 'best' role...especially if they can pick up another OG/OC from cuts/waivers/cap casualties.

AVT has 32” arms I believe. Not ideal, but if he’s strong with a firm grip and can drive players back I’m good with it. 

7 hours ago, k-met57 said:

you have to think JD feels good about who we have there, otherwise he would not have given up the 2 picks. I have to say giving up prospects of Brady Christensen, Wyatt Davis, and Darrisaw for AVT is interesting...

Don’t forget that not only is AVT a potential stud LG, he will also be a very high-end backup to the most important spot on the offensive line, left tackle.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Assuming our starting line is Becton, AVT, McGovern and Fant on RT... who’s gonna win that RG spot?

A -Alex Lewis   
B-Van Roten   
C-Feeney   
D-Cameron Clarke   
E-Edoga 

F- 

Jets have a lot of options/depth on that line. Should be interesting to see who’s lining up there week 1!

I'm going with F....... None of The Above

10 hours ago, bitonti said:

It’s also not true. Becton had a 74.4 while Fant scored a 61.6. Becton scored in the good range while Fant is right at league average. 

• Upvote 2

Did Joe Douglas have input from the coaching staff when he signed Dan Feeney? He's allegedly supposed to be a good fit for the zone blocking scheme they're installing. If the coaches wanted him, I'd say he has the inside track. 

I agree with everyone that Clark would be the more inspiring option, though. 

I think it will be GVR and there is nothing wrong with that.

Id love to see Clarke win the job, but im not really sure if he has the mobility to play guard in this system.  You dont need huge, mauling type players - you want your guards and center to be athletic and be able to block in space.  Clarke is 6'4 310 and ran a 5.29 40 so it might be better for the team if he can win the swing tackle job and supplant Edoga.

GVR isnt gonna suddenly turn into an all-pro, but hes a veteran who should be ok for another season, especially if the left side of the line is dominant.  Not every player on an OL is going to be great, and if he is the weakest link we should be fine.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I think it will be GVR and there is nothing wrong with that.

Id love to see Clarke win the job, but im not really sure if he has the mobility to play guard in this system.  You dont need huge, mauling type players - you want your guards and center to be athletic and be able to block in space.  Clarke is 6'4 310 and ran a 5.29 40 so it might be better for the team if he can win the swing tackle job and supplant Edoga.

GVR isnt gonna suddenly turn into an all-pro, but hes a veteran who should be ok for another season, especially if the left side of the line is dominant.  Not every player on an OL is going to be great, and if he is the weakest link we should be fine.

If Feeney is in fact the right fit for zone blocking or GVR shows that he can be a good RG in this scheme. Do we think there is a chance Clarke can win RT?