Who will win the RG position

21 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Assuming our starting line is Becton, AVT, McGovern and Fant on RT... who’s gonna win that RG spot?

Alex Lewis   
Van Roten   
Feeney   
Cameron Clarke   
Edoga 

Jets have a lot of options/depth on that line. Should be interesting to see who’s lining up there week 1!

All the pundits have AVT plugged in at LG, but he may very will be an ideal RT.   Lots of options.  If AVT is indeed the starter at LG, I see Van Roten as the RG. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

I think it will be GVR and there is nothing wrong with that.

Id love to see Clarke win the job, but im not really sure if he has the mobility to play guard in this system.  You dont need huge, mauling type players - you want your guards and center to be athletic and be able to block in space.  Clarke is 6'4 310 and ran a 5.29 40 so it might be better for the team if he can win the swing tackle job and supplant Edoga.

GVR isnt gonna suddenly turn into an all-pro, but hes a veteran who should be ok for another season, especially if the left side of the line is dominant.  Not every player on an OL is going to be great, and if he is the weakest link we should be fine.

Footwork and mobility are prioritized and I'd agree with you on this. Clark was more of a mauler better suited for the previous power gap scheme.

I really would have wanted to take one more IOL in this draft ideally or have signed one of the top FAs as our OL, but it'll be interesting to see how McGovern and GVR adapt to the new system.

22 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Assuming our starting line is Becton, AVT, McGovern and Fant on RT... who’s gonna win that RG spot?

Alex Lewis   
Van Roten   
Feeney   
Cameron Clarke   
Edoga 

Jets have a lot of options/depth on that line. Should be interesting to see who’s lining up there week 1!

The real question is not who is going to win the RG job.  The real question is "Will the player that wins the RG job be competent as the starter at that position?"

That is the big question.  The answer is:  We don't know.

• Upvote 1

If the Jets didn't think Clark had the potential to grow into a viable starter at Guard and Tackle I don't think they would have drafted him.

I have not seen any information about his development, only speculation and inference. Have to think he's the one with the hightest ceiling so hope he can win the job.

15 hours ago, varjet said:

The OL is only as strong as its weakest link. 

RG seems weak. 

I know this is repeated a lot, but it isn't true. Too much is made of this as though every team with a snowball's chance in hell has 5 elite starters.

The Jets and others have fielded plenty-strong OLs with at least one noticeably "weak link" on it. Tampa's OL was plenty solid on balance with their own weaker C/RG starters. Nobody said a peep about KC's OL until they lost Fisher -- not only their only remaining above average starter, but really the only one who was even solidly average once Schwartz went down (and one of two before then). 

Even the Jets' very best OL didn't have that. The year before Faneca was cut iirc he was - at least statistically, in terms of pressures allowed - the worst pass-blocking guard in football. A year later he was replaced by second-year Matt Slauson, who saw the field as much as a rookie in 2009 as Clark saw in 2020. Slauson turned into an average guard eventually - and particularly at his pricetag, one we clearly should've kept - but he was a pretty lousy pass blocker in his first year starting. The Jets' OL was still one of the best pass-blocking lines in the league anyway.

• Upvote 3

I went back and re-read GVR's scouting report that ganggreennation did when we signed him and he profiles relatively well for this zone-based scheme.

His combine numbers are 5.06 in the 40-yard dash, 34.5” vertical, 112” broad jump and 4.38 short shuttle. He also posted 31 bench press reps.  The report itself said he is very good pulling and getting to the second level and on screen passes, so he has the requisite athleticism to play in this scheme.  He also is considered a smart player who should be able to pick up the new concepts.