Biggest bust Ryan Leaf: Zach Wilson is not the Jets savior

First, Eisen is a journalist.  This is the off season.  You generate content to entertain, not to inform.  He has done that.

Any analogy to Ryan Leaf is bogus.  I was very high on Leaf when he came out.  But his monumental failure was much more based on character flaws than any other factor.  That is definitely not ZW.  If ZW struggles, it will most likely be injuries or an inability to read defenses on the pro level.

JD is doing a great job.  His drafts have been solid.  He has managed the cap well.  He has hired a promising coaching staff.  And I say that as one who argued that we should have kept Darnold one more year and traded down.  Not going to argue with JD about the wisdom of his decision.  He's the GM and knows boatloads more than I do.

But the reality is about half these top draft choices fail/disappoint.  One big component of that is the rest of the offense.  And JD is clearly addressing that as fast as he can.  But even so, the risk of failure is high.  All we can do is stay tuned.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Ryan Leaf's opinion about Zach Wilson is more valid than 99% of the posters on this board., but I'm not going to mention that every time a fat neckbeard gives their two cents about a player. 

So, should we just shut down the board and just post opinion articles by failed NFL players because their uninformed, barely aware of the Jets opinions are "99% more valid"?

And exactly who/what is a "neckbeard"? Andrew Luck?

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

Mystic belief in numerology is as good a reason to predict Zach will bust as any other.   Personally I would want a star chart to confirm but the 2 pick of Ryan Leaf and Zach Wilson can't be ignored.  What if Tom Shane turned out to be Q?  Wouldn't that be a kick in the tin foil hat?

image.png.fdc4933d9c9c1cecc2f1ccbffad2a036.png

5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Fun fact; when Manning won the SB as a Colt, his defense was ranked 23 in pts against.  The year before when they were 1 and done, they were ranked 2nd.  The year after they won the SB, they were ranked #1, and were one and done.

I dont know what this means, nor am I actually trying to say anything but I always found that interesting.

It was not about what they were ranked it was about how they faired in particular games and particular situations. If you have the number 1 ranked defense but can't make the big stops in big games its not worth a sh*t. The year Peyton/Indy won the SB they made some big stops late in games and also did in the SB

14 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I'm glad that Leaf could take a break from his petty property crimes long enough to rag on Wilson.

Yeah, I don't like to be one that dismisses an opinion based on who someone is.  You have to separate the person from the argument as much as possible.

But in this case, I'm like "Of course Leaf would think this way."  And I dismiss it not just because he believes his organization failed him.  I see how he believes that shaped his experience as a player/prospect, and how he comes to believe it will happen to Wilson with the Jets as well.  It's because Leaf's personal decisions in life are poor and he lacks the self-awareness to realize it.  THAT'S what invalidates his opinion.  He doesn't think his own decisions are relevant to the discussion, and also fails to see that Wilson being a good kid may well help him rise above his circumstances.

So Leaf is wrong about this not because he's wrong about the Chargers.  In that, he's actually right!  It's his own inability to assess his OWN faults.  THAT is the problem here.

Sorry, I know that's a lot of words to make a point but I hope those of you who read this far can follow where I was going with it.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

Mystic belief in numerology is as good a reason to predict Zach will bust as any other.   Personally I would want a star chart to confirm but the 2 pick of Ryan Leaf and Zach Wilson can't be ignored.  What if Tom Shane turned out to be Q?  Wouldn't that be a kick in the tin foil hat?

Wait, T0m is Desmond Llewellyn??

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2021 at 6:45 PM, HessStation said:

Btw he didn’t say Wilson wasn’t a great fit for the Jets. He basically said it doesn’t matter bc the Jets are systematically awful and doomed to suck forever...to paraphrase but that’s basically all he said 

Right, but if this is the logic, why say anything at all? Yes, the jets have basically sucked forever, with a few fleeting moments of success here or there. We all know this. We get it.

The “LOL Jets” narrative is no different than the “LOL Knicks” narrative. Basically, it works until it doesn’t. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Right, but if this is the logic, why say anything at all? Yes, the jets have basically sucked forever, with a few fleeting moments of success here or there. We all know this. We get it.

The “LOL Jets” narrative is no different than the “LOL Knicks” narrative. Basically, it works until it doesn’t. 

Exactly.  The Steelers were the worst franchise in the NFL until the 1970s. They never won a championship in their history until 1974. Were they doomed to fail?  Was Bradshaw going to be ruined by the franchise that never developed a QB?  The Patriots never won a title until 2001.  How did they manage to turn it around?  The 49ers were terrible until the 1980s.  The Chiefs won nothing for 50 years until 2019.  I could go on  and on.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2021 at 7:21 AM, T0mShane said:

I wasn’t comparing Leaf to Wilson. I was saying that Young, like Leaf, seems pretty skeptical about the Wilson/Jets partnership, Greg Knapp aside.

Young is on more than one video singing the praises of Zach and the Jets.  Talks about the staff and the offense being a perfect fit.  Youre stretching the interpretation of a video into a Zach to SF call into someone being skeptical 

23 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Ryan Leaf never had a completion percentage above 54% in college.

Zach Wilson completed 73% in 2020.

The air raid wasn't invented when leaf was in college 

It feels like everyone expects ZW to be instant good. But rookies who start week 1 at qb usually struggle, it was true in Aikman era as well 

14 hours ago, slimjasi said:

There's a difference between the Jets suck lol and maybe they weren't ready to open the rookie qb window just yet 

The needs on both sides of the football are so dire it will take several drafts to repair the bottoming out of the roster. There's a new offense, new defense and no one really knows either system yet 

The fear is that too much will be expected out of the kid. It happens basically every time an NFL franchise has drafted a qb at 2 and it often happens to 1 picks too 

We certainly can character bash leaf but bad teams pick high and demand a rookie to win right away 

The Jets did it with Sanchez, darnold and now they are doing it again. It's hopeful. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

There's a difference between the Jets suck lol and maybe they weren't ready to open the rookie qb window just yet 

The needs on both sides of the football are so dire it will take several drafts to repair the bottoming out of the roster. There's a new offense, new defense and no one really knows either system yet 

The fear is that too much will be expected out of the kid. It happens basically every time an NFL franchise has drafted a qb at 2 and it often happens to 1 picks too 

We certainly can character bash leaf but bad teams pick high and demand a rookie to win right away 

The Jets did it with Sanchez, darnold and now they are doing it again. It's hopeful. 

I think where we differ is that I don't think Wilson has to "win right away" - not even close. I think he needs to show that he can consistently play QB at an average or above average level in the NFL. If the Jets win 5 games this year but Wilson shows potential, a lot of us are happy and excited about the future. And we  just happen to have another draft coming up with major draft assets . . .

I also don't think the offensive talent is bad (on paper) anymore. But we'll just have to see how these guys all pan out. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think where we differ is that I don't think Wilson has to "win right away" - not even close. I think he needs to show that he can consistently play QB at an average or above average level in the NFL. If the Jets win 5 games this year but Wilson shows potential, a lot of us are happy and excited about the future. And we  just happen to have another draft coming up with major draft assets . . .

I also don't think the offensive talent is bad (on paper) anymore. But we'll just have to see how these guys all pan out. 

look at how psyched the cincy and sd fan bases are, and they still had losing records.  

• Upvote 1