Jump to content

Jets Panthers has to be 1st few weeks of season


Recommended Posts

Too juicy a storyline for 2 boring teams and NFL will want to get Darnold vs old team and guy who replaced him before either team eliminated form playoffs with a 1-6 record etc.

I see this as a Thursday night game very early is season.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

Too juicy a storyline for 2 boring teams and NFL will want to get Darnold vs old team and guy who replaced him before either team eliminated form playoffs with a 1-6 record etc.

I see this as a Thursday night game very early is season.

Assuming COVID rules don’t screw it up... the Charlotte game will be a great road trip game.   Charlotte Jets fan club is planning a Saturday night event before the game and a tailgate event as well.    

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't think the league is interested in these stories.  Jets vs Panthers is a crappy game

I wonder if Browns fans thought anyone was interested in Deshonne Kizer storylines after they shipped him out.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't think the league is interested in these stories.  Jets vs Panthers is a crappy game

Must be why they were talking this matchup as a prime time game on the NFLN today

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Must be why they were talking this matchup as a prime time game on the NFLN today

It's  two rebuilding team playing each other. The only ones who will care are Sam haters and supporters.  I don't  see it

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

I see this as a Thursday night game very early is season.

I don't know if it will be an early season game but it definitely feels like Thursday Night Football material.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way this game matters is if the Panthers look like a good team with Sam the Jets still look like a train wreck. Headlines will be everywhere  how the Jets screwed up again. If the Jets look good and the Panthers look good, there is no story. If the Jets look good and the Panthers look bad, I doubt there will be stories about how Sam ruined this franchise except here, if they both look bad and the score is 10-3, nobody will care. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Juicy?  Who on the national stage cares about Sam Darnold, the Panthers, or the Jets? 

This would be like Josh Rosen having a "revenge" game against.....against......I don't even remember the team that drafted Josh Rosen.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't think the league is interested in these stories.  Jets vs Panthers is a crappy game

Aw come on. Don't you realize that the NFL is dying to put the Jets on a prime time TV this year - most importantly in the all important first week games - whether it be against the 1-15 Jaguars because what NFL fan doesn't want to see that juicy match up and the first games for Wilson and Lawrence - because rookie QBs are always so ready and prepared and on top of their game right out of the gate. Or 5-11 Carolina because the NFL fans are so interested in seeing the worst QB in the NFL play his former team.  Or Jets-NE - two teams that missed the playoffs last year and had about 20 TD passes total between them.  

The entire league wants to watch the Jets this season, even though , according to most Jets fans, the Jets are awful every year and have no chance to get better because they are the Jets, and even though Wilson will fail and/or get injured - -probably in training camp, and even though the roster is terrible because Douglas is a bad GM,............

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Aw come on. Don't you realize that the NFL is dying to put the Jets on a prime time TV this year - most importantly in the all important first week games - whether it be against the 1-15 Jaguars because what NFL fan doesn't want to see that juicy match up and the first games for Wilson and Lawrence - because rookie QBs are always so ready and prepared and on top of their game right out of the gate. Or 5-11 Carolina because the NFL fans are so interested in seeing the worst QB in the NFL play his former team.  Or Jets-NE - two teams that missed the playoffs last year and had about 20 TD passes total between them.  

The entire league wants to watch the Jets this season, even though , according to most Jets fans, the Jets are awful every year and have no chance to get better because they are the Jets, and even though Wilson will fail and/or get injured - -probably in training camp, and even though the roster is terrible because Douglas is a bad GM,............

Not really  sure what point you are trying to make but this (Panthers and Jets) is the type of game where the announcers are begging the audience  not to turn on reruns of Friends. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Not really  sure what point you are trying to make but this (Panthers and Jets) is the type of game where the announcers are begging the audience  not to turn on reruns of Friends. 

Especially when the panthers are up by double digits at halftime

Jets Fans are overrating this team, badly. It lacks stars and at some positions, they lack starters 

Jets don't have a cmc. Compare their corners to ours for example or their pass rush to ours. The jets should be like 7.5 point dogs vs Carolina 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Especially when the panthers are up by double digits at halftime

Jets Fans are overrating this team, badly. It lacks stars and at some positions, they lack starters 

Jets don't have a cmc. Compare their corners to ours for example or their pass rush to ours. The jets should be like 7.5 point dogs vs Carolina 

i think you're underestimating how much of a difference it will make to have (presumably) a functional offense that can generate first downs and at a minimum, flip the field on punts and reduce 3 and outs.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think you're underestimating how much of a difference it will make to have (presumably) a functional offense that can generate first downs and at a minimum, flip the field on punts and reduce 3 and outs.  

The offense lacks 3 linemen and a tight end and starting a pure rookie at qb. They are all learning a brand new system 

Why are they functional? Because we hope they are? 

everyone is overrating the jump between the mountain west and the afc east. Darnold is flawed but he's seen it before 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The offense lacks 3 linemen and a tight end and starting a pure rookie at qb. They are all learning a brand new system 

Why are they functional? Because we hope they are? 

everyone is overrating the jump between the mountain west and the afc east. Darnold is flawed but he's seen it before 

 

even if the jets have the 20th best offense next year, that is so much more competitive than the worst.  it changes the entire game.  the jets can be in most games now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

even if the jets have the 20th best offense next year, that is so much more competitive than the worst.  it changes the entire game.  the jets can be in most games now.

It's fun to imagine but don't see any evidence for 20th 

They added Corey Davis, Dan feeney and Tyler kroft. They added ZW, avt, Moore and Carter in the draft 

Even if they hit on all these acquisitions, teams that are starting 7 new out of 11 are going to have growing pains and that's fair to expect 

The offense can be better and be 29th. Not sure where 20 comes from, other than hope 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's fun to imagine but don't see any evidence for 20th 

They added Corey Davis, Dan feeney and Tyler kroft. They added ZW, avt, Moore and Carter in the draft 

Even if they hit on all these acquisitions, teams that are starting 7 new out of 11 are going to have growing pains and that's fair to expect 

The offense can be better and be 29th. Not sure where 20 comes from, other than hope 

 

better coaches, better qb, better wrs, better rbs and better OL.  just consider the better qb.  last year darnold sucked.  if they had even a jag qb that gets them close to 20.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I am writing the schedule, the Jets will play BOTH Carolina and Jacksonville before Week 6.

These are (much to some JN posters shock) "Games of General Interest" to the NFL Fanbase, specifically because of Wilson v. Lawrence and Jets v. Darnold.

But like fresh milk, they very much have an expiration date after which they are just rancid afterthoughts.

That expiration date is BEFORE the teams in question are out of contention.

Given the low quality of all three last year, that means they'll want these games before any of them can be worse than 0-6, and likely will want them sooner if they can.  

It will not surprise me at all if two of our first four games are against Jacksonville and Carolina.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The quality of the NFL is quite impressive.  

It does feel like the Jets have improved, but then you look at the teams they are supposed to play, and it is hard to find may wins.  

Even perennial doormat WFT is looking better, other than QB.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bitonti said:

They added Corey Davis, Dan feeney and Tyler kroft. They added ZW, avt, Moore and Carter in the draft 

How about Cole?  

Actually the biggest subtraction is Gase and addition is Saleh and Co. unless Wilson hits the ground performing

Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see this game scheduled towards the end of the season so it turns into Darnold a year free of Gase versus Wilson a year into the NFL where it is more of a head to head battle and then they can spill the debate over into the offseason whether the Jets should have kept Darnold or how Darnold would have performed on the 2021 Jets. If the Panthers knock the Jets out of competition for the playoffs then that's a juicy story. 

If the game is set early in the season it lends to less of a storyline. If the Panthers win there's an easy out that Wilson is too new to the league to say whether drafting Wilson was the right move. If the Jets win then Darnold sucks and that's kind of the end of it. What if questions last longer in the offseason when sports media is more desperate for content. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I could see this game scheduled towards the end of the season so it turns into Darnold a year free of Gase versus Wilson a year into the NFL where it is more of a head to head battle and then they can spill the debate over into the offseason whether the Jets should have kept Darnold or how Darnold would have performed on the 2021 Jets. If the Panthers knock the Jets out of competition for the playoffs then that's a juicy story. 

If the game is set early in the season it lends to less of a storyline. If the Panthers win there's an easy out that Wilson is too new to the league to say whether drafting Wilson was the right move. If the Jets win then Darnold sucks and that's kind of the end of it. What if questions last longer in the offseason when sports media is more desperate for content. 

Week 1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      150,786
    • Total Posts
      4,867,673
×
×
  • Create New...