Curious to hear your perspective on why Joe D kept Gase last year? Do you think he actually need another year to vet Gase, or was he not ready to offer Saleh at the time?

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What is curious is how many times you flip from claiming you arent a Gase fan to blaming JD, the schedule and trying to link whatever the Jets win this year to prove that 7-9 was something to praise Gase over

For the 2019 and 2020 seasons, the entire coaching staff and the quarterback did not change. Gase, Gregg, Darnold, all the same. 

The variable was Joe Douglas.  He butchered the roster.  Necessary?  Sure, we had to dump expensive players and build draft capital.  But to cut as deeply as he did and not find suitable replacements in free agency or the draft?  To disregard the importance of an experienced backup QB?  That was bad, very bad.  Gase was no great head coach, but nobody was going to do much better last year.

But 2021?  It's a bright new day.  Brand new "A+" draft class.   A couple of impact free agents.  A quarterback without mono, anxiety, or ghosts.   And. most importantly, an A+ coaching staff, from Robert Saleh to Mike LaFleur to Jeff Ulbrich to Rob Calabrese, they're terrific, so much better than what we had last year.  

So with a better roster (check), and a better coaching staff (check), no injuries (check), an easier schedule (check), a 9th home game (check), and a third wildcard berth (check), there is zero reason to expect anything less than an 8 win season.  Gase got 7 with so much less.  And Douglas needs this to be a successful year.  John Davidson and Jeff Gorton found out the hard way what "rebuilding" actually means in this town.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly a lot of it had to be the timing...

Gase finished the season 6-2, was it the easy schedule or was a first year head coach implementing his system? Firing him then allows critics to say the coach never got a fair shot, also firing a coach after one year... How do you recruit a coach to come here

Also the roster was atrocious reeling off Jachai Polite and Darron Lee type draft picks and Macc's awesome FA signings, again a lot harder to sell a head coach to come here at the moment.

And finally JD realistically only had one  head coach hire left in his tenure. So he stretched his window one more year while he tried to start his rebuild, which really starts this year.

But by waiting he was able to sell a new  top tier head coach candidate on his vision with the assets he acquired. I'd say Saleh was a top two head coach candidate, I don't think the Jets would have hired a top 3 candidate last year. What say you?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

If we were dumping , where's Trevor Lawrence ?

That's still the answer as to why Gase wasn't fired.  They wanted Lawrence.  Why fire the guy when he was doing so well?  They failed, but they came pretty close.  Too bad for the OP, but that surely was the goal.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Between 2019 and 2020 we had 8 games, that's half a season, where we needed to rely on a backup quarterback but, alas, it wasn't a priority for Joe Douglas. 

Oh, but as a great GM coming off an A+ draft he's learned his lesson.  Who is our backup this season?  I forget.  Let's blame Adam Gase for that too.

SAR I

Yes.  If only he'd brought in a super bowl MVP, that lost his job to the league MVP.  Maybe if he did that it wouldn't be unconscionable?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

For the 2019 and 2020 seasons, the entire coaching staff and the quarterback did not change. Gase, Gregg, Darnold, all the same. 

The variable was Joe Douglas.  He butchered the roster.  Necessary?  Sure, we had to dump expensive players and build draft capital.  But to cut as deeply as he did and not find suitable replacements in free agency or the draft?  To disregard the importance of an experienced backup QB?  That was bad, very bad.  Gase was no great head coach, but nobody was going to do much better last year.

But 2021?  It's a bright new day.  Brand new "A+" draft class.   A couple of impact free agents.  A quarterback without mono, anxiety, or ghosts.   And. most importantly, an A+ coaching staff, from Robert Saleh to Mike LaFleur to Jeff Ulbrich to Rob Calabrese, they're terrific, so much better than what we had last year.  

So with a better roster (check), and a better coaching staff (check), no injuries (check), an easier schedule (check), a 9th home game (check), and a third wildcard berth (check), there is zero reason to expect anything less than an 8 win season.  Gase got 7 with so much less.  And Douglas needs this to be a successful year.  John Davidson and Jeff Gorton found out the hard way what "rebuilding" actually means in this town.

SAR I

The SAR defense of Gase continues.  He didnt have a better backup QB to suck into the abyss, so the poor bastard had to rely on a SB winner and young QBs he brought in to develop and couldn't  

You can expect a win total, those who understand what theyre looking at expect improved play and the start of a developmental program.  We get it, the 8 win artificial target is just ahead of Gase.  And if the jets win 6 games, legitimately wins not the fools gold total of 7 you kneel down to, then you can start your new Saleh falls short of Gase shtick.

• Upvote 1

1) Douglas didn't have the authority to fire Gase after 2019.

2) As bad as Gase clearly was it would be difficult to justify firing a coach who went 7-9 in his first year after inheriting a 4-12 team. Darnold getting mono too -- while people paying attention knew Gase was dreadful the optics of dumping Gase after one year would have been terrible.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Gase did not deserve to be fired after only 1 year. Especially considering that he won 6 out of his last 8 games after starting 1-7. Gase didn't seal his fate until he "topped" his disastrous 1-7 start in 2019 with an 0-8 start in 2020. 

Agreed and JD knew it was a tank year so there was little reason to bring a new HC into that environment. 

40 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

1) Douglas didn't have the authority to fire Gase after 2019.

2) As bad as Gase clearly was it would be difficult to justify firing a coach who went 7-9 in his first year after inheriting a 4-12 team. Darnold getting mono too -- while people paying attention knew Gase was dreadful the optics of dumping Gase after one year would have been terrible.

Agreed.  Also, the team won 6 of their last 8.  Regardless of how soft the schedule was in the second hald of 2019, it is tough to win 6 of 8 in this league.  We had to bring him back.  Then in 2020, he showed us that 6-2 was an aberration.  After a second straight season of being out of contention by Columbus Day, it was time to move on.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, NamathToCaster said:

I honestly think Joe would have kept Adam if we had won at least seven or eight games due to loyalty but Adam made it so simple for Joe. Even Adam was probably saying "what are you waiting for, I got my money, fire me".  Adam Gase's coaching performance in 2020-2021 enabled the Jets to finally get on the right path for success.  It was painful, but it all worked out.  

I agree with you. The best thing to happen was a full disaster.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

Honestly the Jets have a reputation (which isn’t entirely true) of having a quick trigger finger when it comes to firing guys. I think Chris wanted to give him the full season as a way to dispel that.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don’t think that reputation is deserved in the least.  I guess maybe with Mangini

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

If the recent news is to be believed, JD did not have any firing power over gase until woody returned and changed the reporting structure 

Probably true. FFS Chris Johnson gave out extensions to both Bowles & Maccagnan, and in so many words said he did it because he didn't feel he knew enough to replace them. Yeesh.

I think that provided Douglas with a shield he didn't really want to give up either. He got to play good cop to Woody Johnson's bad cop.

Deserved firing or not, Gase did get him this job (though it seems like there's a decent chance "well regarded around the league" Douglas would've gotten another offer from somebody at the end of the season, it didn't happen 4 months earlier for whatever reasons).

Douglas was still able to play the part of, "Well Adam, I was able to get you until the end of this season, instead of midseason like the papers were pushing for, in case things turned around." He still gets to be everyone's friend; one never knows where one will end up 5-10 years from now, so it helps to not burn any bridges. 

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

This is so true.  And don't forget locals, they had a thing for Kotite back in the day, Ryan too.  And, of course, heartthrob quarterbacks like Boomer Esiason and Vinny Testaverde.  Such great taste these fans have.

Rex and Vinny had success here. thats why people had a thing for them.

no matter how it ended Rex coached the best back to back years in Jets history. he should never be in the same sentence as one win Kotite. 

and Vinny is the best QB not named Namath is Jet history. 

i know we dont have much good history, but the few good years, players or coaches we had shouldn't get lumped in with the plenty of choices for bad ones.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the multiple comments above that JD didn't seem to have authority to discharge Gase and even if he did there wasn't anybody in the coaching staff worth keeping for a look at the HC role. I have a hard time imagining JD had enough affection for Gase that he would have kept him as a favor or that JD didn't know how bad Gase was as a coach.

JD was clearly washing out the garbage as much as possible and looking for a good draft this year. It wouldn't have made sense to even try to move on a new candidate midseason or put a competitive team on the field. It's fairly common for new GMs to tank a team to start with a fairly clean slate especially in situations like this where the new GM was brought in to build a failed team rather than take a middling team to a competitor. 

1 hour ago, doitny said:

and Vinny is the best QB not named Namath is Jet history. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick had the best single season a Jet has had since Namath, statistically.

Mark Sanchez had the best run of success over multiple seasons and more playoff wins than Namath and Testaverde, combined.

Testaverde had 1 good season and won 1 playoff game.  The rest of his time here he wasted the most talented roster we've had since 1968 with inconsistent play and constant turnovers.  You should despise the guy.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mfmartin said:

Honestly the Jets have a reputation (which isn’t entirely true) of having a quick trigger finger when it comes to firing guys. I think Chris wanted to give him the full season as a way to dispel that.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

I don’t think that reputation is deserved in the least.  I guess maybe with Mangini

If anything we are the last team to roll down the window when someone farts on the bus.

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, GangGreened said:

Absolutely. I don’t care how good his draft was, rolling with Wilson without a vet backup is foolish IMO.

Reminds me of how I banged the table to keep Teddy or trade for Tannehill two off seasons ago. Had tomatoes thrown at me. So I made a salad and stuck to my guns.

I wish JD would have made a move for Trubisky (too late) and now best option is Minshew, who is hard to dislike and has a very underrated game.

• Upvote 1

why did they keep gase an extra year?  as an armchair fan i can ask is this a real question?  the team in 2019 overcame the adversity of darnold being injured with the mono and then there was still the issue of a lack of talent and injuries.  still the team finished 7-9 and, more importantly, had a better second half.  so why not keep gase and see if he could build on that season. obviously things went further downhill in 2019 and douglas had probably seen enough.  plus it took a season for douglas to build his own power base with the johnson's.  if saleh works out it's just not going to matter.

• Upvote 1

There was no reason to fire him last year.  He did a reasonably good job holding a desimated team together that did well down the stretch the previous year.   You don't fire HC during the season unless they are insubordinate.   Gase wasn't insubordinate.  

• Upvote 1

Let's not forget the team did go 6-2 in the second half of 2019 and
Darnold showed growth.  Also, Douglas and Gase were still on the same
level reporting to Chris Johnson.  Gase deserved a shot to come back
in 2020 and he exposed himself miserably

• Upvote 2

Please can we stop with the Gase went 6-2 final eight games and Sam had mono and blah blah blah The schedule was a bunch of tomato cans and let’s not forget he lost to winless teams not once but twice that year. Gase was an unmitigated disaster 

• Post of the Week 1