Jump to content

Interesting article on inside story behind Elijah Moore pick


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I said this same thing on draft night & you see exactly why. I’m from Mississippi, I’ve had friends play on the team with Moore at Ole Miss, nobody would shut up about this guy. I decided to watch

Crap. I might have to change my name again...

NY Jets: The drama, strategy, and inside story behind the Elijah Moore pick   By Mike Mitchell May 10, 2021, 5:15 PM EDT   Elijah Moore, NY Jets |

17 minutes ago, slats said:

I have to say that I don't believe for a second that Joe Douglas would've taken Michael Carter at #66. I don't care if he said that that's what he would've done. That's GM smoke-blowing (we got such amazing value at #107!). I do believe they liked Moore that much to take him at #23, though. I think that third round would've been another OL and a TE/FB. 

Yeah.  If the Jets were sitting there when they traded up saying they were taking Moore at 23 before the trade up, what does that mean?  If Kwity Paye or Zaven Collins fell, were they still taking Moore?  If they knew this before trade, were they passing on Slater or Parsons?  I get Elijah Moore being a target, but the story is fairly ridiculous.  All the teams do this to pump up the guys they picked.  "You were my guy all along!"  It is also the kind of thing the board likes to throw in guy's faces when the player sucks.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I said this same thing on draft night & you see exactly why. I’m from Mississippi, I’ve had friends play on the team with Moore at Ole Miss, nobody would shut up about this guy. I decided to watch for myself a few months before the draft and just to see his route running and his technique, all of it is so smooth and advanced. It looks like he’s been working on the important things his whole life.. you add that to his character and work ethic. This is a home run pick in the 2nd round, much less, #23 overall. He’s the perfect security blanket out of the slot for Wilson.

The name of the game changes for WR’s once you get in the league. It’s all about if you can get separation from NFL DB’s at a consistent enough rate. It feels like everything he’s worked on and gotten so good at happens to be what you need to succeed at this level.

I don't want to be that guy - but you're taking some liberties here... he's not THAT polished. ....#23? Let's pump the brakes. He's a slot WR, Patriot Killa. He's not ready to line up outside - and the tape will show you that. He's not experienced vs press yet for one... Malachi Moore tossed him around last year- - I read somewhere he's played less that 40 snaps vs press...

Security blanket? yes. He's an inside guy. He didnt' separate in the way you're painting him when he was pressed and when he took snaps outside. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah.  If the Jets were sitting there when they traded up saying they were taking Moore at 23 before the trade up, what does that mean?  If Kwity Paye or Zaven Collins fell, were they still taking Moore?  If they knew this before trade, were they passing on Slater or Parsons?  I get Elijah Moore being a target, but the story is fairly ridiculous.  All the teams do this to pump up the guys they picked.  "You were my guy all along!"  It is also the kind of thing the board likes to throw in guy's faces when the palyer sucks.

Not ridiculous at all. None of those guys fell, so it's easy to see that they would've taken Moore, especially when you had someone here on draft night saying they were trying to trade back into the 1st round to draft him. Silly thing to get upset over. All you have to do is look at how excited Saleh was. They really wanted Moore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bitonti said:

Shaun Ellis 2x Pro Bowl, 74 career sacks, a decade as a Jet. 

John Abraham 5x pro bowl, 3 with the jets, 3x all pro, 133 career sacks 

Chadwick 2x comeback player of the year 2x highest completion percentage in the league 

Becht mauling blocker who missed 10 games in 10 years with the team 

 they also drafted Laveranues Coles 1x pro bowl in Rd 3

 

omg who cares

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

omg who cares

You did apparently so much to make that outstanding post 

Thanks for the positive contribution

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Shaun Ellis 2x Pro Bowl, 74 career sacks, a decade as a Jet. 

John Abraham 5x pro bowl, 3 with the jets, 3x all pro, 133 career sacks 

Chadwick 2x comeback player of the year 2x highest completion percentage in the league 

Becht mauling blocker who missed 10 games in 10 years with the team 

 they also drafted Laveranues Coles 1x pro bowl in Rd 3

 

That all ended up as shit! Hopefully better luck this time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Crusher said:

That all ended up as sh*t! Hopefully better luck this time. 

Every time the Jets win that's a good day 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

He's a slot WR, Patriot Killa. He's not ready to line up outside - and the tape will show you that. He's not experienced/ready vs press yet for one... Malachi Moore tossed him around last year- - I read some where he's played less that 40 snaps vs press...

It’s not like i’m saying he can play full time on the outside immediately, but for a college WR prospect, Its easy to see the extremely tight footwork off his release and being the athlete that he is, the explosiveness in & out of his cuts, he should do fine at the Z when he’s occasionally schemed there. I really meant his ability to get open in general. I believe Moore’s further enough along to make a major difference as soon as he plays his first NFL snap.

He’s 5’9, probably 5’10 with cleats on. Let him get in the weight room and gain more polish. I can see him succeeding at the Z more & more with time. I think we all know he’s a slot WR for the most part though. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Better than Abe, Ellis becht and Chadwick? 

4 1st compared to 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 4th is tough to screw up, even with Parcells picking

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Shaun Ellis 2x Pro Bowl, 74 career sacks, a decade as a Jet. 

John Abraham 5x pro bowl, 3 with the jets, 3x all pro, 133 career sacks 

Chadwick 2x comeback player of the year 2x highest completion percentage in the league 

Becht mauling blocker who missed 10 games in 10 years with the team 

 they also drafted Laveranues Coles 1x pro bowl in Rd 3

 

That draft was awesome, no doubt about it. Reset the Jets trajectory as a team. Wow. Crazy. Epic. 

This draft could belong in the same conversation. Won't know for  while but the fact that we're talking about it is amazing. JD is proving he knows how to do much more than tear the team down.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Not ridiculous at all. None of those guys fell, so it's easy to see that they would've taken Moore, especially when you had someone here on draft night saying they were trying to trade back into the 1st round to draft him. Silly thing to get upset over. All you have to do is look at how excited Saleh was. They really wanted Moore.

I am sure they really wanted Moore.  OTOH, it is ridiculous to target one guy at 23 from 10 picks prior and act like they were taking him no matter how the board fell.  Saying that they were trying to trade back into the 1st to draft him only means they were looking to trade up 2 spots.  That has some value even if it is just for the 5th year option.

I'm not sure why you think I am upset. Seems pretty funny from a guy getting twisted that Bit pointed out how good the 2000 draft was.  This is typical post-draft squawking.  You want to buy it fine.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Shaun Ellis 2x Pro Bowl, 74 career sacks, a decade as a Jet. 

John Abraham 5x pro bowl, 3 with the jets, 3x all pro, 133 career sacks 

Chadwick 2x comeback player of the year 2x highest completion percentage in the league 

Becht mauling blocker who missed 10 games in 10 years with the team 

 they also drafted Laveranues Coles 1x pro bowl in Rd 3

 

lol these aren't impressive achievements. And it's sad, because it's still the best the Jets have done at drafting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The top 4 picks were awesome the rest remains to be seen.  If a few of those later picks turn  out then the price to trade up will no be viewed as anything too bad.  If they all fall on their asses that is another thing.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beaver said:

BLUF, QBs have been average to good for College but don't really have the tools for the Pro Game.  Also the Offensive systems have kept changing.

 

As an Ole Miss fan, I can answer this one.   Starting back with WR laquon Treadwell.  during that time, the QB didn't have the tools to make it in the NFL and also got hurt alot towards the end of his College career (Bo Wallace).  Next up was Chad Kelly, he has the tools for the NFL, but his off the field problems are what is causing that issue.   Next QB was a year of Shay Patterson who although highly recruited in HS never got better.  He only spent a year at Ole Miss before transferring to Michigan due to NCAA trouble with Ole Miss and also because he was beat out by Jordan Ta'amu.   At this time Ole Miss also hired Phil Longa as the OC.   His system was the absolute worst.  Jordan T. has the skills to be a backup QB and nothing more.   Think about this, Ole Miss had WRs AJ Brown, DK metcalf, Elijah Moore (freshman), and Dawson Knox TE in 2018 but couldn't score.  They would march up and down the field between the 20's and then get shut down in the redzone.   After Phil Longo left, Ole Miss had one year with Rich rodriquez as OC and used John Rice Plumlee as QB over Matt Corral because he is still running the same offense system as when he was at West Virginia with Pat White.    Now in comes Lane Kiffin.   they were really good on Offense last year with Matt Corral, but MC has a bit of Darnold in him and had some really bad games with multiple interceptions.   We will see how MC does this coming year.

 

BLUF

Thanks a bunch. Great insight. That 2018 group is scary.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I don't want to be that guy - but you're taking some liberties here... he's not THAT polished. ....#23? Let's pump the brakes. He's a slot WR, Patriot Killa. He's not ready to line up outside - and the tape will show you that. He's not experienced vs press yet for one... Malachi Moore tossed him around last year- - I read somewhere he's played less that 40 snaps vs press...

Security blanket? yes. He's an inside guy. He didnt' separate in the way you're painting him when he was pressed and when he took snaps outside. 

I don't disagree regarding press and because of his size, he may always have some limitations there, but I think the Jets view his value higher because of how much they incoprorate motion in the offense. He seems like the prime candidate for the ghost motions, screens, and jet sweeps they are going to employ more regularly. The Shanahan offense also loves incorporating the yankee concept and it's going to be interesting if they run some of that with Mims and Moore since they appear to be the fastest two guys. 

That being said, he's still likely to be a slot guy long-term, which is fine if Mims develops the way we think he can as the X.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

At times there is fluff. 

Those of us here on Draft Day are aware there was a poster here that claimed the Jets were trying to move back into the first for Elijah Moore on the first day. Thats how much they liked him. So this is real stuff. 

Again - This is why you can't judge AVT in a vacuum. Elijah Moore would have been the pick at 23 and Michael Carter would have been selected by us in the 3rd round by all reports by the FO. 

This draft could have been:

Wilson, Moore 1.23, Jenkins 2.2, Michael Carter 3.2, Ronnie Perkins 3.23. Echols etc. 

Instead it was Wlson, AVT, Moore, Michael Carter. 

It worked out really well. 

I doubt  Carter was the pick in the third.  He is an undersized back and you should get a more solid player. Someone who he could have taken was Serman who is a more complete prospect 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Its sort of unreal. I think it is the best 1st 4 picks ever in Jets history. Not only are they great individually but each one makes the other picks better. Also 4 likely Day 1 starters

You think Moore will start ahead of Crowder and Carter will start over Colman

GIF by South Park

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s pump the breaks on anointing the draft class. The approach is great but all of these players have a good chance of busting, because that’s the nature of the draft. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, section314 said:

Hope you can shed some light on this for me. The last 4-5 years, Ole Miss has put some excellent WR's and TE's into the league, yet nothing is really said about their Qb's. You would think somebody would take a flier on them. no?

I’ve heard teams target players from Ole Miss, LSU, etc because they land top high school talent but don’t max them out. Still a lot of meat on the bone in regards to development.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roscoeword said:

How do we know he isn't Adarius Stewart?  I bet he was getting the same write ups when he got drafted... a very fast little receiver, blah, blah, blah

No one was writing glowing reports about Adarius Stewart

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I find it a bit odd/interesting that Douglas basically had a draft that most all Jets fans have been screaming to have for nearly 20 years, but gets quite a bit of flack about how he went about.

Does he?

Maybe I am missing those threads, but other than the "Draft Value Obsessives debate Draft Value and Premium Positions" nerds in that one thread, wanking each other over chart value calculations, I'm not really seeing JD get much in the way of "flack" here at JN about this draft class or his methods in selecting it.

I think a bit of theory discussion on the trade up for AVT is fine, I don't see that as "flack" per se.  It's a rightly questionable move, no matter how much you and I might like AVT (and I do like him), but no one will know for sure how good or bad it was for a few years, till we have resume on these guys.  If AVT is an All-Pro. it's an afterthought.  If later Guards are All-Pros and AVT is meh, then it'll be an issue people will be critical of.

From what I'm reading, the feeling here seems to be that this was a very good draft, ranging from guys like me who are just happy we finally drafted O-line and O-skill to support a young QB, to guys calling it the greatest draft in Jets history.  Not seeing much flack tho, honestly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Let’s pump the breaks on anointing the draft class. The approach is great but all of these players have a good chance of busting, because that’s the nature of the draft. 

Your just angry that JD didn’t follow your draft guideline of 4 trades and 15 players!😂

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Let’s pump the breaks on anointing the draft class. The approach is great but all of these players have a good chance of busting, because that’s the nature of the draft. 

 
truism
[ˈtro͞oˌizəm]
 
NOUN
  1. a statement that is obviously true and says nothing new or interesting.
    "the truism that you get what you pay for"
    synonyms:
    platitude · commonplace · cliché · hackneyed/trite/banal/overworked saying · stock phrase · banality · old chestnut · bromide · maxim · axiom · saw
    • logic
      a proposition that states nothing beyond what is implied by any of its terms.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrance Marshall Jr. is the player I wanted the Jets to pick, but the more I see and read about Elijah Moore, the more I think it was a terrific pick.

This guy seems like the real deal.  He is a fantastic route runner with top end speed, and he has the production to back it up.  I'm excited to see what he can do in this offense, and I am ecstatic that the Jets were proactive in drafting a top end WR prospect to develop alongside Wilson knowing that there were only 2 WRs under contract in 2022.  Consistency and reducing turnover at the position will go a long way to help Wilson develop properly.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I doubt  Carter was the pick in the third.  He is an undersized back and you should get a more solid player. Someone who he could have taken was Serman who is a more complete prospect 

Sermon sucks

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Your just angry that JD didn’t follow your draft guideline of 4 trades and 15 players!😂

3 trades 11 players. He’s was almost as good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I don't disagree regarding press and because of his size, he may always have some limitations there, but I think the Jets view his value higher because of how much they incoprorate motion in the offense. He seems like the prime candidate for the ghost motions, screens, and jet sweeps they are going to employ more regularly. The Shanahan offense also loves incorporating the yankee concept and it's going to be interesting if they run some of that with Mims and Moore since they appear to be the fastest two guys. 

That being said, he's still likely to be a slot guy long-term, which is fine if Mims develops the way we think he can as the X.

Fair assessment. Steep price for a role/talent that isn’t “rare” but you’re not wrong. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...