Interesting article on inside story behind Elijah Moore pick

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are so lucky that Joe Douglas decided to come to the Jets.  How we got Zach Wilson, AVT, Elijah moore and Michael Carter is unreal.  The nfl should open an investigation to see how this happened.

Thank you joe Douglas.  Thank you!!

Catfish Hunter - The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass...

It's our time! - Every Jets fan every offseason.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I said this same thing on draft night & you see exactly why. I’m from Mississippi, I’ve had friends play on the team with Moore at Ole Miss, nobody would shut up about this guy. I decided to watch for myself a few months before the draft and just to see his route running and his technique, all of it is so smooth and advanced. It looks like he’s been working on the important things his whole life.. you add that to his character and work ethic. This is a home run pick in the 2nd round, much less, #23 overall. He’s the perfect security blanket out of the slot for Wilson.

The name of the game changes for WR’s once you get in the league. It’s all about if you can get separation from NFL DB’s at a consistent enough rate. It feels like everything he’s worked on and gotten so good at happens to be what you need to succeed at this level.

How did you get to be a Jet fan from Mississippi?

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

Better than Abe, Ellis becht and Chadwick? 

By a mile. Chad was good, but had an average arm even prior to the injury. Becht, so yeah moving forward. Ellis, was solid nothing spectacular. Abe made splash plays, but was often a liability against the run as he was always rushing hard up field and guys would run right past him as he took himself out of the play (liked him better as a 3-4 rush LB). Of course trading Abe got the Jets Mangold, so there's that.

On paper, based solely on potential, this quartet should be much better or rather impactful. A QB with a big arm that is very mobile and may have the Rain-Man thing going for him. A blue chip guard to solidify a potentially game changing dominant left side of the line. A blue chip electric WR, and a highly regarded RB.

39 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

By a mile. Chad was good, but had an average arm even prior to the injury. Becht, so yeah moving forward. Ellis, was solid nothing spectacular. Abe made splash plays, but was often a liability against the run as he was always rushing hard up field and guys would run right past him as he took himself out of the play (liked him better as a 3-4 rush LB). Of course trading Abe got the Jets Mangold, so there's that.

On paper, based solely on potential, this quartet should be much better or rather impactful. A QB with a big arm that is very mobile and may have the Rain-Man thing going for him. A blue chip guard to solidify a potentially game changing dominant left side of the line. A blue chip electric WR, and a highly regarded RB.

If you think Abraham was a liability and Ellis only solid, something tells me that you are going to be disappointed.  If the draft were tomorrow, teams would take Abraham over Faneca, so think of how good AVT will have to be. Elijah Moore is 5'9" and running backs are a dime a dozen.  I get that the QB is key to everything, but this kid is about as risky as they come. 

If you are doing "potential" then maybe you'd be happy with Johnny Mitchell, but these guys have quite a way to go to match that draft class.

• Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you think Abraham was a liability and Ellis only solid, something tells me that you are going to be disappointed.  If the draft were tomorrow, teams would take Abraham over Faneca, so think of how good AVT will have to be. Elijah Moore is 5'9" and running backs are a dime a dozen.  I get that the QB is key to everything, but this kid is about as risky as they come. 

If you are doing "potential" then maybe you'd be happy with Johnny Mitchell, but these guys have quite a way to go to match that draft class.

Currently there is nothing to judge but potential, as I stated previously, due to them having just been drafted. Who had a bigger impact on the team? Abe or Mangold?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Currently there is nothing to judge but potential, as I stated previously, due to them having just been drafted. Who had a bigger impact on the team? Abe or Mangold?

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Abraham.    

Have to agree. Abe was a ******* dog, but when he was on, he was such an elite pass rusher. Herm wasted him and Ellis, imo. That Tampa 2 sh*t was so gross.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Have to agree. Abe was a ******* dog, but when he was on, he was such an elite pass rusher. Herm wasted him and Ellis, imo. That Tampa 2 sh*t was so gross.

Donnie Henderson’s hybrid defense in 2004 was fun. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I said during the draft that this was my favorite Jets pick in years. I loved watching this guy on Saturdays and thought there was a chance he would even be picked before 23 (saw him mocked to the Bears at 20, I believe). 

Let's see what he can do in this offense. 

I see him as a Jarvis Landry type player. Gets open often and gets the YAC.

It would be nice if Moore could throw the football like JL

29 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I see him as a Jarvis Landry type player. Gets open often and gets the YAC.

It would be nice if Moore could throw the football like JL

There is no comparision btwn landry and moore.  Landry runs a 4.6 and is a possession guy.  Moore is a 4.3 explosive athlete who can take it to the house at anytime.

20 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There is no comparision btwn landry and moore.  Landry runs a 4.6 and is a possession guy.  Moore is a 4.3 explosive athlete who can take it to the house at anytime.

I thought the same, though IMO Landry was a much more polished WR coming out and he did drop his 40 time to 4.51 at his pro day. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Oh for God's sake, I cannot stand it anymore.  Jarvis Landry has PRODUCED in his career thus far:

2014:  84 - 758 - 5 tds

2015: 110 - 1157 - 4 tds

2016: 94 - 1136 - 4 tds

2017: 112 - 987 - 9 tds

2018: 81 - 976 - 4 tds

2019:  83 - 1174 - 6 tds

2020: 72 - 840 - 3 tds

I would happily take his worst year as an average for Moore and consider it an outrageous success.  Landry is one of the most productive wideouts in the current era.  The man NEVER fails to produce.   He has missed one game in seven years.  He has played two postseason games and went 11 - 102 in 2016 and  in 2020 he went 12 - 112. 

We will be very lucky if Moore can produce these numbers, much less never once get hurt or have a down year. 

Look I understand.  The Jets have been so bad for so long that many are having newguygasisms but let's retain a grip on reality. 

Personally, it is my hope for the season that he gets on the field regularly and gets 10 touches per game in the regular offense.   I also hope he becomes the kick returner and is good at it.   I would consider it icing on the cake if he proves he can elude the jam well enough to establish himself on the outside at the Z.

But Jarvis Landry?!?  Playoffs?  Playoffs?  You kidding me?  Playoffs?

15 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Oh for God's sake, I cannot stand it anymore.  Jarvis Landry has PRODUCED in his career thus far:

I would happily take his worst year as an average for Moore and consider it an outrageous success.  Landry is one of the most productive wideouts in the current era.  The man NEVER fails to produce.   He has missed one game in seven years.  He has played two postseason games and went 11 - 102 in 2016 and  in 2020 he went 12 - 112. 

We will be very lucky if Moore can produce these numbers, much less never once get hurt or have a down year. 

Look I understand.  The Jets have been so bad for so long that many are having newguygasisms but let's retain a grip on reality. 

Personally, it is my hope for the season that he gets on the field regularly and gets 10 touches per game in the regular offense.   I also hope he becomes the kick returner and is good at it.   I would consider it icing on the cake if he proves he can elude the jam well enough to establish himself on the outside at the Z.

Friend, it’s ok to get excited once every few years. The past couple years have been brutal to watch. We’ve had no young talent to cheer for. 

Do yourself a favor. For the next couple months, let your imagination run wild. It’s ok to dream. We may never see a draft again like this where we take 4 offensive players to start. If you choose to remain a “realist”, that’s fine, just don’t pee on everyone’s parade and let us have some joy for a couple months, even if it’s not supported by any facts yet.

20 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Friend, it’s ok to get excited once every few years. The past couple years have been brutal to watch. We’ve had no young talent to cheer for. 

Do yourself a favor. For the next couple months, let your imagination run wild. It’s ok to dream. We may never see a draft again like this where we take 4 offensive players to start. If you choose to remain a “realist”, that’s fine, just don’t pee on everyone’s parade and let us have some joy for a couple months, even if it’s not supported by any facts yet.

Fair enough.  Look, I am not a darksider nor a realist.  I am a homer.  Truly a glass half full type of Jet fan.  Remarkable after half a century.  But there it is. 

But Moore has a long way to go.  And I say that as somebody who would have taken him at #34. 

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The only way this possibly happens is if the team trades Crowder and Coleman injures himself. No way they start if those two are healthy. 

I agree that Crowder will likely get the "starts" this season in the slot, but Moore will have a big role and get significant snaps in this offense.

I like Cole, but he is the epitome of a role player. It's far from a given he would start over Moore.

From all reports the Jets considered Moore a legitimate first round talent. Those players tend to start sooner rather than later.

What if Moore outplays Mims in training camp and preseason? By no means do I think it's an absolute lock that Mims is higher on the depth chart than Moore. With the pro comparisons I have seen to Steve Smith and Antonio Brown, it's not completely out of the question that Moore can start on the outside.

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I said this same thing on draft night & you see exactly why. I’m from Mississippi, I’ve had friends play on the team with Moore at Ole Miss, nobody would shut up about this guy. I decided to watch for myself a few months before the draft and just to see his route running and his technique, all of it is so smooth and advanced. It looks like he’s been working on the important things his whole life.. you add that to his character and work ethic. This is a home run pick in the 2nd round, much less, #23 overall. He’s the perfect security blanket out of the slot for Wilson.

The name of the game changes for WR’s once you get in the league. It’s all about if you can get separation from NFL DB’s at a consistent enough rate. It feels like everything he’s worked on and gotten so good at happens to be what you need to succeed at this level.

Julian Edelman absolutely feasted on defenses from the slot because of his quickness and predictable route running.  I think it will only be in hindsight that NFL history looks at how critical Edelman was to the success of the Patriots and several of their Super Bowl wins.  They don't beat Seattle in the Super Bowl without him.  They don't beat Atlanta, and they probably don't beat the Rams.  I think a lot of NFL fans focus on RBs and the 2 outside WRs that teams have.... but the Pats won on offense not only because of their HOF QB in Brady but because of a TE and a Slot WR.  Those were the two most important positions on their offense.  Elijah Moore could have a much bigger impact than people realize.  Just his presence on the field will make defensive coordinators uncomfortable and have them sacrificing a bit in coverages.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I agree that Crowder will likely get the "starts" this season in the slot, but Moore will have a big role and get significant snaps in this offense.

I like Cole, but he is the epitome of a role player. It's far from a given he would start over Moore.

From all reports the Jets considered Moore a legitimate first round talent. Those players tend to start sooner rather than later.

What if Moore outplays Mims in training camp and preseason? By no means do I think it's an absolute lock that Mims is higher on the depth chart than Moore. With the pro comparisons I have seen to Steve Smith and Antonio Brown, it's not completely out of the question that Moore can start on the outside.

Smith and Brown are exceptions and the thing about Smith, he could block like a truck. For as talented as Moore appears to be, he is 5'9" and 185 lbs. You don't  start that over a guy that is 6'3" 207lbs. On the outside. If Moore, turns out to be another Brown like talent, great but he has a lot to prove to be that. 

10 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I find it a bit odd/interesting that Douglas basically had a draft that most all Jets fans have been screaming to have for nearly 20 years, but gets quite a bit of flack about how he went about.  Douglas appears to have nabbed solid OL and offensive playmakers early and lots of folks don't like he traded to do it or didn't trade back down or thought player X would have been available later or better etc

everybody is excited about the draft the internet magnifies the 10% of dumb people.  Nobody in real life is sitting around talking about PFF scores and upset about a 3rd round pick.

2 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Those are great stats but that has nothing to do with the fact that landry and moore arent similiar players at all.

• WTF? 1

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Those are great stats but that has nothing to do with the fact that landry and moore arent similiar players at all.

Exactly, Landry is a proven stud WR, Moore is a rookie who has proven nothing. 

I really don't get all the hype about this guy. The Jets drafted Santana Moss who was an inch taller and ran faster than Moore and he had Vinny T and Penny before he was hurt throwing the ball to him and we let the guy go after 4 seasons.