Jets @ Panthers Week 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

when they could have just drafted fields.  yeah.

The range of opinions on Fields is fascinating. They clearly didn't like him enough to pull the trigger. 

Once they spent the assets they spent on Sam, I figured there was no way they would take a QB in round 1. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They are.  I'm tired of hearing about on RB.  Yes McCaffery is better than the starting back on most teams, that doesnt mean Carolina has a better running game.  I dont think they have better WRs and having Darnold isnt a given to be an advantage.  At least enough right now to make up for the difference in talent.

How can you seriously follow this team, look at what FA brought in along with the draft and say that this team isn't  that different than the one we fielded last season?  It really is a ridiculous thing to say

I'm not the only one who thinks this way.its not a crazy thought

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/05/nfl-power-rankings-2021-draft-49ers-saints-chiefs-cowboys

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-bears-49ers-on-the-rise-after-2021-draft

I have seen this show before. When someone steps on the field and plays well I will believe it. I was all hyped up for Mims last season and we got zilch out of him. 

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I have seen this show before. When someone steps on the field and plays well I will believe it. I was all hyped up for Mims last season and we got zilch out of him. 

And too many said the same thing about Q the year before.  Happens, rookie seasons are tough enough.  Add in COVID-19, no OTAs, no real camp, no preseason and maybe its not that far fetched that many players fell short of expectations.  I'm not giving up on a Mims after that mess of a season

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And too many said the same thing about Q the year before.  Happens, rookie seasons are tough enough.  Add in COVID-19, no OTAs, no real camp, no preseason and maybe its not that far fetched that many players fell short of expectations.  I'm not giving up on a Mims after that mess of a season

I'm not either but everyone is expecting these new guys to light it up from game one. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm not either but everyone is expecting these new guys to light it up from game one. 

I think we're expecting them to produce, not necessarily to light it up from day one.  Why shouldnt Wilson play at least as well as Darnold, minimally and the rest of the top picks add to the roster?

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I think we're expecting them to produce, not necessarily to light it up from day one.  Why shouldnt Wilson play at least as well as Darnold, minimally and the rest of the top picks add to the roster?

Sorry, but that is asking a lot

Peyton set the record for picks his rookie season

Brees went 8-8 and then 2-9 his first two seasons and had a combined 30 picks

Brett Favre threw 37 picks in his first 2 years. 

It just doesn't  happen that fast. There are exceptions but I expect Zac is going to need time to adjust to NFL defenses. His head will be spinning. 

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It just doesn't  happen that fast. There are exceptions but I expect Zac is going to need time to adjust to NFL defenses. His head will be spinning. 

But youre asking a bottom of the NFL to somehow not play like the bottom of the NFL QB hes been.  Sorry, that seems more far fetched.

How about a rookie QB this century?  The last group of top 2 QBs drafted were Burrow & Herbert, Murray & Jones, Baker, Goff & Wentz, Winston & Mariotta, Luck....none had the problems that Peyton, Farve and Brees had with INTs.  Its a different game.   

Herbert, Burrow, Murray, Mayfield, Jackson etc all played well enough to beat the Panthers as rookies.  It sure does happen.  

42 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

herbert had 31 tds and 10 ints last year in 15 games.  it's possible.

43 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We will see but he will be in a super QB friendly offense and I don't think his head will be swimming at all. Much of what he will be asked to do he is already experienced in. I think he will be better than Sam from snap 1.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

But youre asking a bottom of the NFL to somehow not play like the bottom of the NFL QB hes been.  Sorry, that seems more far fetched.

How about a rookie QB this century?  The last group of top 2 QBs drafted were Burrow & Herbert, Murray & Jones, Baker, Goff & Wentz, Winston & Mariotta, Luck....none had the problems that Peyton, Farve and Brees had with INTs.  Its a different game.   

Herbert, Burrow, Murray, Mayfield, Jackson etc all played well enough to beat the Panthers as rookies.  It sure does happen.  

What I was doing was naming QB's who will likely be HOF QB's. You want to talk about the QB you named?

Herbert and Burrow for as talented as they appear to have posted losing records as rookies. Mayfield? Really? To get that team to win they actually took the ball out of his hands and ran it with Chubb and Hunt. Winston and Marriota? I'm trying to decide which was actually a bigger bust. Goff was so good the Rams with a hugely talented roster,  they just cut bait, Luck probably had the most inappropriate  name for a QB ever. Whatever the guy had, it wasn't  luck. I'll give you Jackson. Ravens were a really good team and fell into it when they selected him. Murry was 5 and 10 as a rookie. So out of all those QB you named, how many do you want Zack to emulate as a rookie? I bet it's  just 1. 

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

herbert had 31 tds and 10 ints last year in 15 games.  it's possible.

Chargers were 7-9 last season. True that would be a monumental step forward for us and I wouldn't  be unhappy but it's  still a losing record which is kind of the point I have been making

53 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What I was doing was naming QB's who will likely be HOF QB's. You want to talk about the QB you named?

Herbert and Burrow for as talented as they appear to have posted losing records as rookies. Mayfield? Really? To get that team to win they actually took the ball out of his hands and ran it with Chubb and Hunt. Winston and Marriota? I'm trying to decide which was actually a bigger bust. Goff was so good the Rams with a hugely talented roster,  they just cut bait, Luck probably had the most inappropriate  name for a QB ever. Whatever the guy had, it wasn't  luck. I'll give you Jackson. Ravens were a really good team and fell into it when they selected him. Murry was 5 and 10 as a rookie. So out of all those QB you named, how many do you want Zack to emulate as a rookie? I bet it's  just 1. 

I have no idea what point youre trying to make by comparing Favre to the QBs playing today.  

I said these rookie QBs are all good enough to beat a Panthers team.  Its not this complicated.  The Jets are at least as talented as the Panthers and can beat them.  Youre making a long case for it not being possible and I just dont agree.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I have no idea what point youre trying to make by comparing Favre to the QBs playing today.  

I said these rookie QBs are all good enough to beat a Panthers team.  Its not this complicated.  The Jets are at least as talented as the Panthers and can beat them.  Youre making a long case for it not being possible and I just dont agree.

My point is a QB can't  do it by himself. He needs a team, a veteran team. I have been saying this all along, remember you didn't  want to hear about McCaffery? 

28 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

My point is a QB can't  do it by himself. He needs a team, a veteran team. I have been saying this all along, remember you didn't  want to hear about McCaffery? 

I dont want to hear about McCaffery.  Youre right about that.  McCaffery can run for 130 yards and the Jets running game could run for more.  So what, hes the games leading rusher, give him a star.  

It all sounds good but at best, they're similarly matched teams.  At BEST.  I have no idea what youre saying about who needs a veteran team around him, the only person we know beyond a doubt who needs help is Darnold.  You kave no clue that Zach needs as much help at this time

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont want to hear about McCaffery.  Youre right about that.  McCaffery can run for 130 yards and the Jets running game could run for more.  So what, hes the games leading rusher, give him a star.  

It all sounds good but at best, they're similarly matched teams.  At BEST.  I have no idea what youre saying about who needs a veteran team around him, the only person we know beyond a doubt who needs help is Darnold.  You kave no clue that Zach needs as much help at this time

If Sam Darold plays as bad as he did here the NY Jets have nothing to worry about we win game 1. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If Sam Darold plays as bad as he did here the NY Jets have nothing to worry about we win game 1. 

Which is a big part of my point.  I dont see how anyone can think Carolina is so unbeatable.  

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Kool Aid Vampire GIF by Cartuna