Jets @ Panthers Week 1

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

Darnold is in year 4 and the panthers extended his 5th year option. They gave him like 18 million. He has 38 games to prove himself 

And?

He wasnt trying before last season and now he will try harder now because he has only 2 years left on his deal?

That would make him braindead because if he tried before this year he wouldnt have been dumped to Carolina

Setting this game first is so uninteresting. Both QBs are in a new system and team in their first start so as much as there might be chips on shoulders neither team/QB is likely to play with the confidence of more time to gel. No matter the outcome it won't say much about whether the decision was the right move in the long term. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

This is going to be a pressure packed game for Wilson. Can't think of a tougher situation for the kids first game. Darnold is in a no lose situation while this is almost a must win for Wilson or the talking heads will all be screaming the Jets made another bone headed move letting Sam go and that Wilson is a bust.

On the other hand if Wilson has a great game it'll give him a cushion for when he does have a bad game (like all rookie QB's do).

I think the opposite.  The pressure is on Sam going into his 4th year.  Wilson is the rookie and if he loses no big deal.  If Sam loses it's the same questions marks all over again.   

Nobody should be screaming Wilson is a bust after one game unless that game is abysmal.  Like "ghosts" game abysmal.    

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

You want to know how this game is gonna go? Look at each roster and count how many of theirs would start on ours and vice versa 

Other than Becton and hopefully avt and qw that's 3 guys 

Meanwhile they have like a a dozen guys who would start here no problem 

This is most meaningless way to decide who will win.

Like baseball fans who dont have a clue and go around the diamond deciding who is the better player and then tallying the totals/

Just now, BallinPB said:

I think the opposite.  The pressure is on Sam going into his 4th year.  Wilson is the rookie and if he loses no big deal.  If Sam loses it's the same questions marks all over again.   

Nobody should be screaming Wilson is a bust after one game unless that game is abysmal.  Like "ghosts" game abysmal.    

Theres nowhere near the pressure on Wilson and Darnold.

Hes home, on a new team, trying to prove his problems were Gase and talent.  Wilson is a rookie making his first start.

Not even close

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Is "zippy" the more PC version of "twink" or are we going for something else here? 

Odd connection for you to make..  zippy is now supposed to be a derragtory euphemism for a gay dude?  I think I need a current list of words that are considered offensive..  it changes every day.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

Odd connection for you to make..  zippy is now supposed to be a derragtory euphemism for a gay dude?  I think I need a current list of words that are considered offensive..  it changes every day.

I wasn't even referring to any gay bashing, but it's interesting that you went there. 

I had never even heard the term "twink" before I saw you post it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

I wasn't even referring to any gay bashing, but it's interesting that you went there. 

I had never even heard the term "twink" before I saw you post it. 

Oh its interesting "I" went there..  lol.. ok

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Corey Davis is also literally a top-20 wide receiver623C5BA0-6479-4A11-9C8B-8E79B6C8B4D2.thumb.jpeg.2173f7a40eaf0aed02d4847ce06b5027.jpeg

Yeah but 984 in 14 games isnt 1,000 yards.  

Less that 100 yard difference, playing in fewer games with a run first team.  

I dont think anyone believes hes a top 20 WR

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Arnold and Herndon both have 7 career touchdowns

Herndon has been suspended twice in four years, once for a truly disgusting dui on the njt, again for ped. He's also the king of the strained hamstring. One more suspension is indefinite (full year)

Dan Arnold is more reliable than Chris Herndon 

Heerndon played with Darnold and under Gase who doesnt use his TEs

While Darnold is new to the Panthers he's not new to playing in the NFL, and he's got at least 10 very well played games under his belt...so the guy can be successful at times.  I'd also guess that handing off to Christian McCaffrey will be more fun than handing off to Frank Gore, and that faking handoffs to CMc will provide more opportunities downfield than faking to Frank Gore did with the Jets.  Darnold also goes from throwing to guys like Chris Hogan, Braxton Berrios, Perriman (for a few games) and Mims (for a few games) to DJ Moore, Robby Anderson and Terrace Marshall.

Bottom line - This has to be an advantage for the Panthers getting this game so early, at home, and vs a rookie QB and rookie HC implementing new systems on both sides of the ball during a season where the full offseason program won't be taking place and pandemic rules still provide a bit of a headwind to practice time.  That's just my take.  Everything is new on the Jets and I don't expect it all to be smooth in Week 1 on the road in what will be a tough environment.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Anderson played with 15 games of teddy Bridgewater and 1 game of pj walker 

Corey Davis had a playoff team around him 

They are both good but there's no real case for Corey Davis is better 

Unless we are considering run blocking 

Bridgewater threw for 3700+ yards, 1500 yards more than Darnold

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

While Darnold is new to the Panthers he's not new to playing in the NFL, and he's got at least 10 very well played games under his belt...so the guy can be successful at times.  I'd also guess that handing off to Christian McCaffrey will be more fun than handing off to Frank Gore, and that faking handoffs to CMc will provide more opportunities downfield than faking to Frank Gore did with the Jets.  Darnold also goes from throwing to guys like Chris Hogan, Braxton Berrios, Perriman (for a few games) and Mims (for a few games) to DJ Moore, Robby Anderson and Terrace Marshall.

Bottom line - This has to be an advantage for the Panthers getting this game so early, at home, and vs a rookie QB and rookie HC implementing new systems on both sides of the ball during a season where the full offseason program won't be taking place and pandemic rules still provide a bit of a headwind to practice time.  That's just my take.  Everything is new on the Jets and I don't expect it all to be smooth in Week 1 on the road in what will be a tough environment.

Carolina Panthers = Bad qb and bad defense

A dream matchup to start the season for the Jets.

Saleh will focus on stopping the run, will pressure Darnold and watch the fumbles and ints commence.

Outside of the Jags and Texans, this is the best week 1 matchup we could have gotten.  Thanks NFL!!!!

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Saleh will focus on stopping the run, will pressure Darnold and watch the fumbles and ints commence.

Outside of the Jags and Texans, this is the best week 1 matchup we could have gotten.  Thanks NFL!!!!

plus darnold won't have any real advantage on the jets D since there will be a lot of new players and a new scheme.  it's not like he's playing the gregg williams D.

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

plus darnold won't have any real advantage on the jets D since there will be a lot of new players and a new scheme.  it's not like he's playing the gregg williams D.

But he'll be playing the type of Saleh D he faced last year against the 49ers.

And, in that game with his leading WRs being Chris Hogan, Braxton Berrios, and Josh Malone, Sam Darnold completed 66% of his passes with 1 TD and 0 INTs.... Although, he did have the amazing Frank Gore toting the rock 21 times for an amazing 3.0 yards per carry. ?

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

But he'll be playing the type of Saleh D he faced last year against the 49ers.

And, in that game with his leading WRs being Chris Hogan, Braxton Berrios, and Josh Malone, Sam Darnold completed 66% of his passes with 1 TD and 0 INTs.... Although, he did have the amazing Frank Gore toting the rock 21 times for an amazing 3.0 yards per carry. ?

5 punts one out on downs 1 TD and 2 Field goals.  173 total yards passing and a QBR of 90.5.  Probably his best game.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Heerndon played with Darnold and under Gase who doesnt use his TEs

So that's the reason he couldn't catch a cold last year? It's Gase' fault? You guys need to find another excuse for all of these bad players who you keep defending. 

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

Setting this game first is so uninteresting. Both QBs are in a new system and team in their first start so as much as there might be chips on shoulders neither team/QB is likely to play with the confidence of more time to gel. No matter the outcome it won't say much about whether the decision was the right move in the long term. 

I figured it might be week 4-5 but week 1? Didn't see that coming and I agree with you, it is less interesting. Jags vs Jets would have been a cool week 1 game.

2 minutes ago, Drums said:

I figured it might be week 4-5 but week 1? Didn't see that coming and I agree with you, it is less interesting. Jags vs Jets would have been a cool week 1 game.

the jets are not interesting yet and darnold is boring as hell.  this maybe the only week anyone may actually care about either team this year so i get why they put it first.  at least wilson and trevor may have some appeal all year.

7 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

This is going to be a pressure packed game for Wilson. Can't think of a tougher situation for the kids first game. Darnold is in a no lose situation while this is almost a must win for Wilson or the talking heads will all be screaming the Jets made another bone headed move letting Sam go and that Wilson is a bust.

On the other hand if Wilson has a great game it'll give him a cushion for when he does have a bad game (like all rookie QB's do).

Not sure how you can say this a no-lose situation for Darnold. Darnold is a couple of bad starts away from being out of the league or in Geno Smith territory. He will be the favorite/vet going up against a rookie in his first start.  The Gase/Jets excuses are gone. 

Wilson will be a rookie on the road and coming in as an underdog. Darnold proved that you can be bad for 3 years and teams will still give you a shot. Wilson will be in week 1 of year 1. Anyone that goes into the game expecting a rookie to play better than a vet in his 4th year is a fool and I don't really care what hat person/persons scream on twitter to get clicks. 

Granted, if Darnold comes out and throws for 400 and 4 TDs while Wilson looks terrible it will justifiably lead to some questions being asked, but heading into the game Darnold is fighting for his NFL life. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Not sure how you can say this a no-lose situation for Darnold. Darnold is a couple of bad starts away from being out of the league or in Geno Smith territory. He will be the favorite/vet going up against a rookie in his first start.  The Gase/Jets excuses are gone. 

Wilson will be a rookie on the road and coming in as an underdog. Darnold proved that you can be bad for 3 years and teams will still give you a shot. Wilson will be in week 1 of year 1. Anyone that goes into the game expecting a rookie to play better than a vet in his 4th year is a fool and I don't really care what hat person/persons scream on twitter to clicks. 

Granted, if Darnold comes out and throws for 400 and TDs while Wilson looks terrible it will justifiably lead to some questions being asked, but heading into the game Darnold is fighting for his NFL life. 

if darnold is bad this year he'll follow the same career trajectory that sanchez did.  high drafted usc qb by the nyj turned backup 

This is the NFL turning itself into a joke.  The transparency behind setting this as the opening game fails to impress.  It would make far more sense for teams to open in-division and for this game to be scheduled further into the season when both QBs will likely be more established within their respective systems.  Instead, we’ll have an NFL-engineered circus that will disservice both teams and their QBs, not to mention the fans.  Is PT Barnum the commissioner of the NFL now?

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Here's a cheat sheet. 

Always Offensive:

"I'm going to nut in your wife's eye".

--

3 hours ago, doitny said:

that makes no sense in this situation. Sam beating us does nothing to teach us a lesson. 

and what lesson would that be? not to trade your favorite player? 

if your a real jet fan Wilson is your QB now. like it or not. 

it goes to show that he could have been the player here that he will be in carolina...but the jets were too dumb to do anything to help him do that. i want a big game from Sam FOR Sam...he deserves it after the dumpster fire he had to deal with here.

for the record i am pumped about Wilson. i think chris simms is the best in the media evaluation business, and he thinks wilson is going to be a star...so i am bullish on him.

48 minutes ago, Biggs said:

5 punts one out on downs 1 TD and 2 Field goals.  173 total yards passing and a QBR of 90.5.  Probably his best game.  

And that includes 6-6 for 76 yards and the TD in the last 3 minutes, down 31-6.  Through 57 minutes, he had thrown for less than 100 yards.

Another note from that game, teh ageless wonder, Frank Gore had 63 yards on 21 carries.  Meanwhile our new RB, Tevin Coleman had 12 yards on 14 carries, despite the Niners running for 180+ that game.  Save us, Micahel Carter.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Yeah but it won;t stop the pundits from making an instant judgment that will linger all season.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ill actually say this, Saleh will rattle Darnold so bad that he will never recover.  He is so weak minded and getting smashed by the Jets will break him.  The Jets will end his panther career before it even begins.

Pretty sure Panthers are going to smash  us. Just way more talent on that team and we have just so many new parts.  I see one of those win in spite of Sam Darnold  things happening. 

• Upvote 1