Jets work out WR Tavon Austin

28 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

If Austin is signed, it's to show Moore the ropes.

It would probably also mean Crowder and/or Berrios moving on.

What ropes do you think Austin can show them that Crowder cant?    Do you think Austin is an upgrade over Crowder at WR?   Does he return punts or play special teams?   What does he bring besides a first rd pedigree?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

What ropes do you think Austin can show them that Crowder cant?    Do you think Austin is an upgrade over Crowder at WR?   Does he return punts or play special teams?   What does he bring besides a first rd pedigree?

Personally, I'd keep Crowder. But I'm not sure the Jets will feel the same way.

Crowder is a better player than Austin, but will also cost about 10 times as much this year - which the Jets will factor in.

And, yes, Austin does return kicks and punts. It's probably what he's best at.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Personally, I'd keep Crowder. But I'm not sure the Jets will feel the same way.

Crowder is a better player than Austin, but will also cost about 10 times as much this year - which the Jets will factor in.

And, yes, Austin does return kicks and punts. It's probably what he's best at.

I think that may be the only reason they brought him in for a look.

Guess it could also mean Moore won't be handling returns.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't think crowder is going anywhere

If Joe Douglas has shown anything this year it's that he's committed to supporting his rookie QB.  I don't think shipping off the Jets most consistent WR over the past 3 years is something he's likely to do.  Crowder is a reliable "comfort target" out of the slot who runs predictable routes and is a big asset for any QB, let alone a rookie.  The guy gets open and is almost a safety blanket out there. With the way the WR position worked last year (counting on Tampa's WR3 in Perriman to be WR1 and a rookie in Mims to be WR2), I think JD learned his lesson.  He'd rather have a surplus or insurance policy at WR even if it costs a little more.  The Jets aren't against the Cap, they can afford Crowder and he's essentially on the type of one-year deal that JD likes to use on many players.  The only way I see Crowder departing is if it's part of a trade to bring back an asset like a TE.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1