Jets work out WR Tavon Austin

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everytime the Jets make a move...."this means the end of Crowder". lol

if we sign tavon austin it probably means the end for crowder - rather have crowder - but if we sign austin is geno smith far behind? Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

That was teh same year, We had two #1s, 9 & 13,  We were rumored to be interested in Austin at 9 until the Rams traded up to 8 and took him.  Instead, we took Dee Milliner at 9.  And then took She

24 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If Joe Douglas has shown anything this year it's that he's committed to supporting his rookie QB.  I don't think shipping off the Jets most consistent WR over the past 3 years is something he's likely to do.  Crowder is a reliable "comfort target" out of the slot who runs predictable routes and is a big asset for any QB, let alone a rookie.  The guy gets open and is almost a safety blanket out there. With the way the WR position worked last year (counting on Tampa's WR3 in Perriman to be WR1 and a rookie in Mims to be WR2), I think JD learned his lesson.  He'd rather have a surplus or insurance policy at WR even if it costs a little more.  The Jets aren't against the Cap, they can afford Crowder and he's essentially on the type of one-year deal that JD likes to use on many players.  The only way I see Crowder departing is if it's part of a trade to bring back an asset like a TE.

The thing to remember is Lafleur likes to disguise his looks.  It is why he does not use slot receivers that often.  He prefers a two-tight end look or a fullback.  That way, defenses cannot tell if it is a dedicated run or a pass.  That - in turn - keeps the nickel off the field.  When you go three-wide with a slot receiver, you are going to pass.  It also explains the drafting of Carter since he can be split out wide if we intend to use a slot receiver.  We might hand him the ball or we might send him into a route.  Lafleur likes that flexibility.  It is the foundation of his offense.

It is why I felt that Crowder was unlikely to stick once we drafted Moore.  Moore can man the slot when it is used but he is also deadly on the end around, pitches, shovel passes inside and screens.  Anything to get him touches in space where he can uses his agility and speed.  If we are now working out long speed players like Austin, I take that as a sign that we either have suitors for Crowder or have made the decision to cut him.

As for Crowder as an insurance policy, Crowder got his chance to prove he could play outside last season and he could not do it.  It is why we added Davis AND Cole.  Both of whom have the versatility to play the slot, X or Z.  Cole is the insurance policy, not Crowder.  Do not get me wrong, I like Crowder, but our offense does not use the slot all that much anymore.

I too hope we trade Crowder instead of cutting him.  But I think the handwriting is on the wall.  

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

If Joe Douglas has shown anything this year it's that he's committed to supporting his rookie QB.  I don't think shipping off the Jets most consistent WR over the past 3 years is something he's likely to do.  Crowder is a reliable "comfort target" out of the slot who runs predictable routes and is a big asset for any QB, let alone a rookie.  The guy gets open and is almost a safety blanket out there. With the way the WR position worked last year (counting on Tampa's WR3 in Perriman to be WR1 and a rookie in Mims to be WR2), I think JD learned his lesson.  He'd rather have a surplus or insurance policy at WR even if it costs a little more.  The Jets aren't against the Cap, they can afford Crowder and he's essentially on the type of one-year deal that JD likes to use on many players.  The only way I see Crowder departing is if it's part of a trade to bring back an asset like a TE.

Plus if Crowder finishes his deal with us and  then signs elsewhere we will get a comp pick!

• Upvote 3

Austin may not be signed right away.  Very possible he'd be a Week 2 addition so his salary won't be guaranteed this season.  

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, undertow said:

Yep. Jets just added a water cooler by the film room, that's the end of Crowder. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
12 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Plus if Crowder finishes his deal with us and  then signs elsewhere we will get a comp pick!

No we won't. The Jets will again have to spend some money in FA again next year. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Competition for Barrios imo

I'm amazed anyone is even thinking about a nobody like Berrios now.

No one is competition for Berrios because he's a likely goner, maybe even before camp. 

Can't image he has any chance of making the 2021 team. 

And that's a good thing.  We're finally going to field a team with actual, legit, NFL WR's.

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm amazed anyone is even thinking about a nobody like Berrios now.

No one is competition for Berrios because he's a likely goner, maybe even before camp. 

Can't image he has any chance of making the 2021 team. 

And that's a good thing.  We're finally going to field a team with actual, legit, NFL WR's.

He's the incumbent kick returner and a back up slot WR.  Someone has to be around for punt returns and backing up.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, ncjetman said:

if we sign tavon austin it probably means the end for crowder - rather have crowder - but if we sign austin is
geno smith far behind?

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

If hes able to borrow money for airfare.

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

If Austin is signed, it's to show Moore the ropes.

It would probably also mean Crowder and/or Berrios moving on.

Why couldn't Crowder just show him the ropes?

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As opposed to the wayward bound, re-tread WRs you want us to just sign?  Dez etc?  LOL

Teams bring players in for looks.  Or as a favor to an agent.  Or for a move down the road.

Its what smart teams do

David Nelson,Donte Moncreif,Josh Doctson,Justin McCareins,Derrick Mason,Curtis Conway and many I can't remember right now all say hello @Jet Nut

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

David Nelson,Donte Moncreif,Josh Doctson and many I can't remember right now all say hello @Jet Nut

Somehow this is relevant to the discussion how?

Particularly to me?

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

It seems year after year regardless of the GM or HC we bring in these wayward bound re-tread WR's. 

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As opposed to the wayward bound, re-tread WRs you want us to just sign?  Dez etc?  LOL

Teams bring players in for looks.  Or as a favor to an agent.  Or for a move down the road.

Its what smart teams do

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

David Nelson,Donte Moncreif,Josh Doctson,Justin McCareins,Derrick Mason,Curtis Conway and many I can't remember right now all say hello @Jet Nut

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Somehow this is relevant to the discussion how?

Particularly to me?

Tavon Austin is a wayward bound re-tread and you responded. 

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, choon328 said:

No we won't. The Jets will again have to spend some money in FA again next year. 

I guess we will see   Between these last 2 drafts and next years we are bringing in a lot of players.   If they pan out there wont be a huge need for free agents but rather keeping some of our own

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

The other Trade that I could see happening is Crowder for Ertz. But that won't happen till June 1st.

I would do that although not lightly cuz I love Crowder but Moore just looks like the real deal and this team is about helping the QB and development right now. This does both. 

44 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Tavon Austin is a wayward bound re-tread and you responded. 

They had him in the facility

Relax 

And lighten up, it was a joke

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, choon328 said:

The other Trade that I could see happening is Crowder for Ertz. But that won't happen till June 1st.

Ertz doesn't fit the profile Douglas has gone after so far...30, injury prone, and making good money....Hurst has two years left on a rookie deal I believe but it would probably cost more then Crowder they just gave up a 2nd for him last year.

6 hours ago, mrcoops said:

If Austin is signed, it's to show Moore the ropes.

It would probably also mean Crowder and/or Berrios moving on.

Who is showing Austin the ropes. Never seemed like he caught on

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, undertow said:

Ertz doesn't fit the profile Douglas has gone after so far...30, injury prone, and making good money....Hurst has two years left on a rookie deal I believe but it would probably cost more then Crowder they just gave up a 2nd for him last year.

What is with the Hurst and Ertz stuff?  Both stink!

Herndon and yeboah are fine for this year and if they are not, we will address tight end with one of our 11 draft picks next year.

We are not trading for Hurst.  My goodness.  These draft picks are gold and we are not wasting them on scrubs like hurst.

7 hours ago, ncjetman said:

if we sign tavon austin it probably means the end for crowder - rather have crowder - but if we sign austin is
geno smith far behind?

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Wesco, Smith, Austin. Maybe we can snatch up Will Greer, and see if Jerry west is a two-sport athlete. 

Has a football player from WVU ever been successful? I mean, Owen Schmidt opened up Schmidt's Saloon, but that's closed now... 

5 hours ago, clayton163v said:

The thing to remember is Lafleur likes to disguise his looks.  It is why he does not use slot receivers that often.  He prefers a two-tight end look or a fullback.  That way, defenses cannot tell if it is a dedicated run or a pass.  That - in turn - keeps the nickel off the field.  When you go three-wide with a slot receiver, you are going to pass.  It also explains the drafting of Carter since he can be split out wide if we intend to use a slot receiver.  We might hand him the ball or we might send him into a route.  Lafleur likes that flexibility.  It is the foundation of his offense.

It is why I felt that Crowder was unlikely to stick once we drafted Moore.  Moore can man the slot when it is used but he is also deadly on the end around, pitches, shovel passes inside and screens.  Anything to get him touches in space where he can uses his agility and speed.  If we are now working out long speed players like Austin, I take that as a sign that we either have suitors for Crowder or have made the decision to cut him.

As for Crowder as an insurance policy, Crowder got his chance to prove he could play outside last season and he could not do it.  It is why we added Davis AND Cole.  Both of whom have the versatility to play the slot, X or Z.  Cole is the insurance policy, not Crowder.  Do not get me wrong, I like Crowder, but our offense does not use the slot all that much anymore.

I too hope we trade Crowder instead of cutting him.  But I think the handwriting is on the wall.  

Eh. We don’t actually know what Mike LaFleur will run yet. There’s basically 3 forms of the Shanahan offense that people like, the Matt LaFleur offense, the Sean McVay offense and the Kyle Shanahan offense. Logically, it makes sense that Mike LaFleur will end up similar to his brother and Kyle Shanahan. The LaFleur and McVay versions are much more reliant on 11 personnel than Shanahan’s version. Considering we took the 49ers passing game coordinator rather than the running game coordinator, I expect a more spread out version of the offense. 

I think the ideal is to have a slot player like Cooper Kupp who is capable of getting vertical and blocking. It’s why the Packers will likely push Amari Rodgers into an early role. Also even tho he Packers had 2 stud running backs they rarely saw the field at the same time, instead favoring 2 TE and 11 personnel sets.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Herndon and yeboah are fine for this year and if they are not, we will address tight end with one of our 11 draft picks next year.

We are not trading for Hurst.  My goodness.  These draft picks are gold and we are not wasting them on scrubs like hurst.

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hurst is solid not every TE is gonna be Travis Kelce or George Kittle plus he's still young... I wouldn't be against giving up a 4th or something.  I agree with Ertz tho not paying a injury prone 30 year old 8 mil.  

39 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Eh. We don’t actually know what Mike LaFleur will run yet. There’s basically 3 forms of the Shanahan offense that people like, the Matt LaFleur offense, the Sean McVay offense and the Kyle Shanahan offense. Logically, it makes sense that Mike LaFleur will end up similar to his brother and Kyle Shanahan. The LaFleur and McVay versions are much more reliant on 11 personnel than Shanahan’s version. Considering we took the 49ers passing game coordinator rather than the running game coordinator, I expect a more spread out version of the offense. 

I think the ideal is to have a slot player like Cooper Kupp who is capable of getting vertical and blocking. It’s why the Packers will likely push Amari Rodgers into an early role. Also even tho he Packers had 2 stud running backs they rarely saw the field at the same time, instead favoring 2 TE and 11 personnel sets.

I have been wondering about this.

It will be interesting to see how they decide to run it.  Especially in how they use Corey Davis.  I could see us put in a three wide receiver alignment and then put Davis into an H-back role while splitting the other receivers out wide in addition to simply putting a receiver in the slot.  If Carter is also in the game, then we could run it or put him on the line of scrimmage in a bunch formation.  Davis is such a strong blocker he offers the versatility to do things like that.  It is part of what makes him such an attractive player.  But I still expect Lafleur to use formations that offer the ability to run or pass to keep the regular defense on the field or to permit us to run at nickel defenses with power.  Nor do such formations foreclose spreading out the running game which is a staple of zone blocking schemes.

I saw the signing of Kroft - who is a decent blocking tight end - as a sign that the Jets intend to use a lot of two tight end sets.  Not to mention that solid blocking is what keeps Herndon as our #1.  Then there is Wilson.  According to Ourlads, in college Wilson relied on his tight ends as safety valves.  I see them trying to adapt some of what Wilson already does well.  After all, he is going to have to adjust to taking snaps under center since the west coast offense thrives on play action.   Like Sam Darnold, Wilson mostly played in the shotgun in college.    While I would like to believe that Wesco will be focal point of the offense as a fullback/H-back, I kind of doubt it at this point in his career.  But you never know.  We did use him as the fullback last season to the extent we used one. 

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, undertow said:

This is great!

Crowder: Scores 2 TDs in a game.

Announcers: they are definitely going to cut him now, no way can he score a 3rd.

• Haha 1

He's the Tim Tebow of the WR position. His time has came and gone. And he's a bust. Talented. But a bust. 

Our WR room is too deep and too crowded. Davis. Denzel. Elijah. Crowder. Keenan. 

Austin probably wouldn't even crack our practice squad anymore. 

I'll admit. I loved this kid coming out. I wanted him pretty bad. But for whatever reason he flamed out and never developed into a dangerous weapon. 

11 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Wesco, Smith, Austin. Maybe we can snatch up Will Greer, and see if Jerry west is a two-sport athlete. 

Has a football player from WVU ever been successful? I mean, Owen Schmidt opened up Schmidt's Saloon, but that's closed now... 

You watch your mouth!  Jerry Holmes was ******* awesome!

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hurst and Ertz stink and Herndon and Yeboah are fine?  Perhaps you need to check a dictionary.