Jump to content

2021 is going to be a really fun season for us NYJ fans:


Recommended Posts

We always are optimistic after the draft. We are Jets fans. It’s what we do. 2020:

 

91796028-4B04-4A88-97F8-E3D5B4BBA274.png

59C7D851-3B1B-42A9-80DA-3002933F5FF6.jpeg
 

Look how fickle we are. After one loss we went from 80% of us optimistic to 10% :D 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Here is my theory:

The Jets even last year were no where near as bad as we seemed. And the roster while not elite was also stronger than it seemed.'

Issues: Gase is maybe the worst HC of all time. Not only is the offensive concept really bad, it was a horrible fit for our players. And among the worst play callers ever. Loggains was better but he really only called like 1.5 games until Gase stealth (he thought) took back playcalling.

Darnold is really bad. I was as staunch a Darnold supporter as any till about game 9 or so when I realized that he just pretty much sucks. Lost at the end of the year was that the OL was decent, and he had some weapons back, and yet the performance did not really change.

Frank Pollack is a very bottom barrel OL coach that did nothing to groom or coach the OL

Williams refused to play the zone defense our players should have been in, and instead put our CBs in deep off man which they were not even a remote fit for.

Just fixing these issues with Saleh his coaching staff and Wilson immediately makes us 4 or 5 games at a minimum better.

But we had a truly exceptional draft. and free agency period that really upgrade both the offense and defense. The offense could seriously have 5 new starters from the draft including QB, and excellent pick ups in FA. This is not a bottom third offense even with a rookie QB. If Nick Mullens can look decent, Wilson will look very good. Not perfect but WAY better than Sam.

Also the defensive scheme is way better suited to our players especially our CBs. Guidry and Hall were actually in the upper tier in the NFL at zone, and MC2 was one of the best zone corners in the draft. So many teams play an attacking style of defense that needs man guys that zone guys fall a lot.

And let's not forget that with the defensive picks in the draft, FA pickups, and offensive pickups the Jets will have a deep and explosive special teams.

Lost in all the crap last year is that JD is indeed developing one of the best cultures in football. This team never gave up last year in the worst possible situation, And our draft picks are all high character intelligent leaders

Couple that with the fact that almost all teams overachieve with first year head coaches (due in part to no tape to game plan against) and the Jets are a playoff team

From your lips to gods ears

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ghost said:

I agreed with everything you said except for the Herndon part. He’s a sleeper but not in that way. 
 

Everyone on here simply cannot accept that fact that he stinks. I think we should call the Eagles and discuss the possibility of acquiring Ertz. Having a reliable tight end is one of the best things we can do for a rookie QB. 

This Jets team currently only has four players over the age of 30. I can't see them trading anything of value (like a future draft pick) to add a TE who'll turn 31 this season. 

I also suspect that they like Herndon more than you do. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slats said:

This Jets team currently only has four players over the age of 30. I can't see them trading anything of value (like a future draft pick) to add a TE who'll turn 31 this season. 

I also suspect that they like Herndon more than you do. 

To be honest I think we are done really on top end roster moves until training camp. When I hear Saleh talk I get the impression he is the polar opposite of Gase and especially Bowles in that I think he would prefer a young player even a rookie that has been developed under his coaching/staff than a veteran. I think we will see a lot of surprise cuts when we get down to the 54 or 55 or whatever it will be this year. I truly think we will be competitive this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Great post ... I believe our defense has the potential to be easily top 10. We have 2 pro bowl caliber safeties

Wait, who is the other pro bowl caliber safety?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Joyner already was a pro bowl Safety and Maye is surely playing at a pro bowl level 

What?   When did Lamarcus Joyne make a pro bowl? If Maye is "surely playing at a pro bowl level" why didn't he make the pro bowl?  Six safeties made the pro bowl last year.  These guys didn't.  You know who did make the pro bowl?  Jamal Adams and Mike Tannenbaum UDFA find Nick Bellore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Joyner already was a pro bowl Safety and Maye is surely playing at a pro bowl level 

As an FSU fan I absolutely love the addition of Lamarcus Joyner but unfortunately, he's never been a pro bowl Safety. And neither is Marcus Maye. 

Hamsah Nasirildeen is the player who I'm anxious to see. He'll become our next Jamal Adams. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

What?   When did Lamarcus Joyne make a pro bowl? If Maye is "surely playing at a pro bowl level" why didn't he make the pro bowl?  Six safeties made the pro bowl last year.  These guys didn't.  You know who did make the pro bowl?  Jamal Adams and Mike Tannenbaum UDFA find Nick Bellore.

My bad for believing something I heard ...maybe they said he was playing at a pro bowl level before they tried to move him to corner which was a terrible move. His last 2 years in LA were pretty good. Also I do believe Maye can be a pro bowler and he probably should have been one last year 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

My bad for believing something I heard ...maybe they said he was playing at a pro bowl level before they tried to move him to corner which was a terrible move. His last 2 years in LA were pretty good. Also I do believe Maye can be a pro bowler and he probably should have been one last year 

@Raideraholic probably said that when he was explaining how the Raiders had constructed this super defense that ended up 30th in points allowed.  The year before he educated us on how moving to slot would allow so much flexibility the Raiderswouldstop everyone.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, slats said:

This Jets team currently only has four players over the age of 30. I can't see them trading anything of value (like a future draft pick) to add a TE who'll turn 31 this season. 

I also suspect that they like Herndon more than you do. 

Athletically, Herdon is there. I’d like to see him with competent QB play. Hopefully we get that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2021 at 4:46 PM, johnnysd said:

Here is my theory:

The Jets even last year were no where near as bad as we seemed. And the roster while not elite was also stronger than it seemed.'

Issues: Gase is maybe the worst HC of all time. Not only is the offensive concept really bad, it was a horrible fit for our players. And among the worst play callers ever. Loggains was better but he really only called like 1.5 games until Gase stealth (he thought) took back playcalling.

Darnold is really bad. I was as staunch a Darnold supporter as any till about game 9 or so when I realized that he just pretty much sucks. Lost at the end of the year was that the OL was decent, and he had some weapons back, and yet the performance did not really change.

Frank Pollack is a very bottom barrel OL coach that did nothing to groom or coach the OL

Williams refused to play the zone defense our players should have been in, and instead put our CBs in deep off man which they were not even a remote fit for.

Just fixing these issues with Saleh his coaching staff and Wilson immediately makes us 4 or 5 games at a minimum better.

But we had a truly exceptional draft. and free agency period that really upgrade both the offense and defense. The offense could seriously have 5 new starters from the draft including QB, and excellent pick ups in FA. This is not a bottom third offense even with a rookie QB. If Nick Mullens can look decent, Wilson will look very good. Not perfect but WAY better than Sam.

Also the defensive scheme is way better suited to our players especially our CBs. Guidry and Hall were actually in the upper tier in the NFL at zone, and MC2 was one of the best zone corners in the draft. So many teams play an attacking style of defense that needs man guys that zone guys fall a lot.

And let's not forget that with the defensive picks in the draft, FA pickups, and offensive pickups the Jets will have a deep and explosive special teams.

Lost in all the crap last year is that JD is indeed developing one of the best cultures in football. This team never gave up last year in the worst possible situation, And our draft picks are all high character intelligent leaders

Couple that with the fact that almost all teams overachieve with first year head coaches (due in part to no tape to game plan against) and the Jets are a playoff team

Agree. Our offense/wepaonzz are not as terrible as they seemed with the worst HC/QB combo in the league. Competent QB play, and this is a real NFL offense. The defense on the other hand needs a ton of work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, this just sounds like being happy for scraps?

I'm sorry but I can't be happy for scraps! Just because we're so relieved that our sh*thead GM got fired and our new guy has made what looks like a few good moves in firing Gase. Which gives us another healthy dose of RELIEF. Meanwhile, the problem still exists?

Listen, I posted the thread about a week ago where I said I have 100% support for JD. I like the guy and everything he's done seems to be pointing in the right direction. But all that is is a FEELING. A BELIEF and nothing more. We, as Jets fans, have ZERO tangible, substantive results to support our position. 

Hence, the reason why I think we're being happy for SCRAPS. More short term euphoria because the problems of the Jets past is now behind us?

Furthermore, I think it makes us look a bunch of jerk offs that are happy because our "laughingstock" is less than it was.

The OBJECTIVE each and every year is to win the SB. ANYTHING less constitutes failure....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t looked into it that closely but it looks like the schedule is more balanced than last seasons. The division games are more spread out. Hard to say about the last game with Buffalo. If they’re for real then they might be inclined to rest players and it could be a win.  I also like the earlier bye week. I think it’ll give the team and coaches a chance to regroup if the season starts going south early.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2021 at 1:49 PM, Smashmouth said:

Joyner already was a pro bowl Safety and Maye is surely playing at a pro bowl level 

 Neither Lamarcus Joyner or Marcus Maye have ever made the Pro Bowl.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2021 at 4:51 AM, Maxman said:

Having a modern day NFL offense is enough to make me happy right now.

Same for not seeing Gase on the sidelines.

100%. 

 

Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tooooon said:

 Neither Lamarcus Joyner or Marcus Maye have ever made the Pro Bowl.

When Jets make the pro bowl: “stud”

When Jets don’t make their pro bowl: “it’s just a popularity contest.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...