2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/rankings/afc-udfa-class-rankings

1. New York Jets

Name Rk Pos Ht Wt RAS Comp
Kenny Yeboah 173 TE8 6'4 250 5.93 Chris Herndon
Hamilcar Rashed 214 EDGE27 6'2 251 8.31 Harold Landry
Mustafa Johnson 274 DL24 6'0 280 5.61 Luther Maddy
Milo Eifler 298 LB32 6'1 228 7.86 Juwan Simpson
Parker Ferguson 305 iOL31 6'4 290 6.5 Jon Runyan Jr.
Brendon White 316 S25 6'1 215 6.42 Josh Jones
Tristen Hoge 363 iOL37 6'5 306 --- Kurtis Gregory
Grant Hermanns 399 OT32 6'7 300 7.59 Jackson Barton
Teton Saltes 423 OT35 6'5 300 7.95 Terry Poole
Isaiah Dunn 479 CB53 5'11 189 8.93 Richard Marshall
Michael Dwumfour X DL41 6'1 294 --- Ricky Walker
Jordyn Peters X S41 6'1 202 4.66 ---
Chris Naggar X K-X 6'1 184 --- ---

Cornerback was arguably the team’s biggest pre-draft need. But because of the way the board fell -- and because New York gave up two third-rounders and a Day 3 pick to the Vikings to move up for Alijah Vera-Tucker -- the Jets ended up using three late-Day 3 picks between Nos. 150-200 overall on corner, stocking up on fliers instead of a sure-thing. Exiting the draft, TE and EDGE were the two biggest areas of need the Jets hadn't addressed.

The Jets’ UDFA priorities were clear: Get one of the best players at those three positions that had fallen through the cracks. Turns out Gang Green was willing to shell out to make that happen. The Jets became the first team to give a $200k guaranteed UDFA deal, handing it to Mississippi TE Kenny Yeboah (the deal snapped the previous record of Jacksonville signing SDSU CB Luq Barcoo to $180k in guarantees last year).

Yeboah, the No. 12 overall player on my UDFA board, reunites with collegiate teammate WR Elijah Moore in the Big Apple. Hilariously, I comped Yeboah to Chris Herndon, the man he’ll now be competing against (along with Ryan Griffin).

The Jets then outright disrespected Barcoo by also breaking his guaranteed record for a UDFA corner, handing Oregon State CB Isaiah Dunn $185,000. The Jets like Dunn more than I do -- he was my No. 15 UDFA corner -- but he’s got the size and athleticism to stick and was better in 2018-2019 than he was in a five-game sample last fall. 

New York also brought in Dunn’s college teammate, Hamilcar Rashed, to infuse young blood at EDGE. Rashed’s signing bonus hasn’t been reported; whatever guarantees he got will pale in comparison to Yeboah and Dunn.  

Rashed is a tweener. His play, like Dunn’s, dropped off over a five-game 2020 schedule (Tony Pauline went so far as to say: “Rashed often looked disinterested in 2020.”). Even so, Rashed was a second-team AP All-American in 2019 when he led the FBS with 22.5 TFL and tied for third in the country with 14 sacks. Rashed posted an 83rd-percentile RAS athletic composite at his pro day workout. Small with poor agility drills, but equipped with speed and explosion. Indisputably worth bringing in for a negligible-cost look.

Do not let them get you down.  Every team carries some undrafted free agents and they get into the game more than you would think.  Last season our UDFA's Huff, Jackson and Guidry played all the time.  Jackson had eight starts.  Further, with this no combine and no shrine game oddball year - the draft became a crap shoot.  The UDFA pile contains players who would otherwise have been drafted.  The COVID year gave an advantage to players from established programs and hurt players from smaller schools and those whose teams cancelled the season.  Douglas left no stone unturned.

Good teams get free stuff.  

• Upvote 3

My takeaway - the Jets just handed out the two biggest UDFA contracts of all time in the same year.  Both of these guys are likely longshots to make the team...And somehow a significant portion of the fanbase continues to insist that the Johnson's are cheap and unwilling to spend money to win.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

The Jets’ UDFA priorities were clear: Get one of the best players at those three positions that had fallen through the cracks. Turns out Gang Green was willing to shell out to make that happen. The Jets became the first team to give a $200k guaranteed UDFA deal, handing it to Mississippi TE Kenny Yeboah (the deal snapped the previous record of Jacksonville signing SDSU CB Luq Barcoo to $180k in guarantees last year).

Cheapskates

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Do not let them get you down.  Every team carries some undrafted free agents and they get into the game more than you would think.  Last season our UDFA's Huff, Jackson and Guidry played all the time.  Jackson had eight starts.  Further, with this no combine and no shrine game oddball year - the draft became a crap shoot.  The UDFA pile contains players who would otherwise have been drafted.  The COVID year gave an advantage to players from established programs and hurt players from smaller schools and those whose teams cancelled the season.  Douglas left no stone unturned.

Good teams get free stuff.  

31% +- of the NFL are UDFA's 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, mitochondria said:

My takeaway - the Jets just handed out the two biggest UDFA contracts of all time in the same year.  Both of these guys are likely longshots to make the team...And somehow a significant portion of the fanbase continues to insist that the Johnson's are cheap and unwilling to spend money to win.   

This.

The biggest gripe I had was not that they were cheap, it was that they spent the money unwisely. Thankfully, that seems to have changed. 

Though they haven't sent me a big check. I'm waiting.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mitochondria said:

Yeboah will 10% make the roster and I believe the other kid will as well.

• Upvote 1