Week 1 Sams int's... over/under against Jets!

Just to make it clear I was not picking on Sam. It was more like the guys who make the schedule. Like if you break up with your girlfriend and meet a new girl and go out on your first date and your ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend are sitting right next to you.

23 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That is BS. Either you  can cover or you can't. Our guys aren't  that good at it. We need better defensive backs

Go explain how a team like the 49rs went from creating turnovers to not the next year.  Happens all the time.  

History is not on your side

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The following QBs had the same or more ints than Sam Darnold last year:

Carson Wentz

Drew Lock

Russel Wilson

Jared Goff

Kirk Cousins

Kyler Murray

Nick Mullins

Tom Brady

Matt Ryan

Phillip Rivers

Teddy Bridgewater

The Disdain for Sam Darnold has totally taken over peoples brains on this site it seems.

If Darnold and the Panthers beat the Jets week one the new Qb, Head coach and GM of the Jets will obviously instantly be on notice for losing to the worst Qb this league has seen in a decade.

Wentz was also the only guy on that list who had a lower Yards Per Pass number (6.0) than Darnold (6.1).

The number of interceptions wasn't the biggest issue with Sam last year. His regression was more multifaceted than just one issue. One of them been his lack of ability to throw aggressively down the field. This may have been partly on Gase and the conservative play-calling, but it also looked like Sam lost his nerve and was too happy to check down, when he had other receivers open. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Talk about a thread full of bad juju... 

Pretty shytty.

True but we all know how this plays out.  Sam is going to have a career game and the Panthers will absolutely pulverize the Jets.  This is how the script is written, it always works this way when dealing with this team.   Now, it's not something to be concerned about, this wont be an indicator of anything for either Zach or Sam's future but you can bet your bottom dollar, the Panthers will boat race the Jets and Sam/Robby have career days in the process.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

True but we all know how this plays out.  Sam is going to have a career game and the Panthers will absolutely pulverize the Jets.  This is how the script is written, it always works this way when dealing with this team.   Now, it's not something to be concerned about, this wont be an indicator of anything for either Zach or Sam's future but you can bet your bottom dollar, the Panthers will boat race the Jets and Sam/Robby have career days in the process.

If anything else but this happens I’d be shocked. Then excited. Then worried that it was a fluke and we’ll just get destroyed by the Patriots the next week. Weeeee

57 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No but they do realize its not last year and two, we have a new CS, scheme, etc

You are the second person that gave me this BS excuse. You could see guys like James Hasty, Aaron, Glenn,  Revis, could cover from day one. They had the ability not to get beaten consistently,  Revis actually never got beaten except when he covered someone like Moss. Our secondary is bad. Why do you think we took so many DBs at the end of this draft. Throw enough darts and you might hit a Bullseye. We don't  have good DB's. It's a fact. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Go explain how a team like the 49rs went from creating turnovers to not the next year.  Happens all the time.  

I don't understand the question. Can you post some stats to make your point? We had 6 picks out of 16 games last season where the same group of DB's will be returning this season. 

Can you post something  similar  for the 9ers?

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

That is BS. Either you  can cover or you can't. Our guys aren't  that good at it. We need better defensive backs

Sorry but its not BS some players adapt better to a zone scheme. Not to mention the amount of speed we added to this defense. The pass rush should Improve in a big way adding Rankins and Lawson with 3 players probably rotating at the other edge until someone sticks. That alone will help the Corners, because no matter how good a corner is they can only cover for so long, if the pressure is not there they will get beat and that goes for every corner. 

Zone defenses usually produce more Int's because in a man defense you have to focus on a man rather than being in a zone and protecting an area so you don't get the luxury of looking back for the ball like you do in a zone. 

Quite honestly you're not going to have any idea what our guys are good at until they actually play in a competently run scheme 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Sorry but its not BS some players adapt better to a zone scheme. Not to mention the amount of speed we added to this defense. The pass rush should Improve in a big way adding Rankins and Lawson with 3 players probably rotating at the other edge until someone sticks. That alone will help the Corners, because no matter how good a corner is they can only cover for so long, if the pressure is not there they will get beat and that goes for every corner. 

Zone defenses usually produce more Int's because in a man defense you have to focus on a man rather than being in a zone and protecting an area so you don't get the luxury of looking back for the ball like you do in a zone. 

Quite honestly you're not going to have any idea what our guys are good at until they actually play in a competently run scheme 

That's  a fair point but in zone you need a lot of talent in the S position because on deep routes there are handoffs and that is where zones work or don't.  How many times have you heard an announcer say he thought he had help over the top and it wasn't  there. 

You still need the ability to cover. You do make a fair point that the pass rush helps the secondary but I have seen us bring in pass rushers before that didn't  make the impact we thought they will. If Lawson can make a difference, great but if he is just another 7 sack a season guy like Jenkins was, I don't  think he have the impact we are hoping for.

19 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Not a bad kid at all but definitely Californian, confused, and seeing ghosts.

How does that play out when he sees his old team's uniforms in the first game of the season!?

I'm going with one fumble and three int's....

For the record the reason why I like Zach, is in the last decade we haven't had a QB that can interview. It's like night and day.

So you would make a bet in Vegas over 3 int?

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The following QBs had the same or more ints than Sam Darnold last year:

Carson Wentz

Drew Lock

Russel Wilson

Jared Goff

Kirk Cousins

Kyler Murray

Nick Mullins

Tom Brady

Matt Ryan

Phillip Rivers

Teddy Bridgewater

The Disdain for Sam Darnold has totally taken over peoples brains on this site it seems.

If Darnold and the Panthers beat the Jets week one the new Qb, Head coach and GM of the Jets will obviously instantly be on notice for losing to the worst Qb this league has seen in a decade.

You are 100% right they did....

But they also all threw more TDs

And Darnold is the only one who three more picks then TDs

Screenshot_20210514-123558_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

You are 100% right they did....

But they also all threw more TDs

And Darnold is the only one who three more picks then TDs

Screenshot_20210514-123558_Chrome.jpg

The big question was not whether Sam Darnold was better than Tom Brady or Russel Wilson.  It was all about how he was going to throw interceptions in the jets game.

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

You are the second person that gave me this BS excuse. You could see guys like James Hasty, Aaron, Glenn,  Revis, could cover from day one. They had the ability not to get beaten consistently,  Revis actually never got beaten except when he covered someone like Moss. Our secondary is bad. Why do you think we took so many DBs at the end of this draft. Throw enough darts and you might hit a Bullseye. We don't  have good DB's. It's a fact. 

BS excuse?

James Hasty, from day 1?  Coaching and scheme doesnt change anything?

LOL, OK, 

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't understand the question. Can you post some stats to make your point? We had 6 picks out of 16 games last season where the same group of DB's will be returning this season. 

Can you post something  similar  for the 9ers?

You never heard of a team going from a high total to a lower total or the other way around?

Changes to coaching and players has no effect on numbers

Seriously? 

Youre going to continue spinning in circles and not getting basic concepts

Just now, Jet Nut said:

You never heard of a team going from a high total to a lower total or the other way around?

Seriously? 

Ok, I'm really tired of this circular  argument with you. You said the 9ers went from a high pick total to a low one. Since you are claiming this I would think you had stats to back it up. I guess you don't 

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

BS excuse?

James Hasty, from day 1?  Coaching and scheme doesnt change anything?

LOL, OK, 

You can either play the position at this level or you can't.  A DB has to cover no matter what scheme he is playing. Someone brought up the fact that Lawson should help the DB by putting more pressure on the QB. This is true but we don't  know if that would be the case. I thought Gregg Williams was a great hire, turned out he wasn't,  Rex was a great defensive coach just like Saleh,  turned out Rex was a horrible HC, Saleh has no HC resume so we don't k ow how good he will be. You want to look at the glass half full, that is your right. I have been trying to look at the glass half full my whole life with this team going back to Bruce Coslett. Now I want to see results before I fall in love with someone like some school girl. That is my right. When I see a change, I will believe it. All I have seen recently  is how badly this team develops QB's. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Ok, I'm really tired of this circular  argument with you. You said the 9ers went from a high pick total to a low one. Since you are claiming this I would think you had stats to back it up. I guess you don't 

You dont seem tired.  Youre going to argue that teams havent ever gone from high pick totals to low and the other way.

Any team, never, ever.  

18 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You can either play the position at this level or you can't.  A DB has to cover no matter what scheme he is playing. Someone brought up the fact that Lawson should help the DB by putting more pressure on the QB. This is true but we don't  know if that would be the case. I thought Gregg Williams was a great hire, turned out he wasn't,  Rex was a great defensive coach just like Saleh,  turned out Rex was a horrible HC, Saleh has no HC resume so we don't k ow how good he will be. You want to look at the glass half full, that is your right. I have been trying to look at the glass half full my whole life with this team going back to Bruce Coslett. Now I want to see results before I fall in love with someone like some school girl. That is my right. When I see a change, I will believe it. All I have seen recently  is how badly this team develops QB's. 

So in your opinion theres no difference from the man to man coverage we have been running to a zone defense which we will be running under Saleh?

I want to know, this is what you are saying.

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So in your opinion theres no difference from the man to man coverage we have been running to a zone defense which we will be running under Saleh?

I want to know, this is what you are saying.

There isn't  a lot of difference. I. A zone you are responsible for an area instead of man and if you have shallow  responsibility,  you have to hand him off to a deep S at some point and it is important to know when to make the hand off because that is the moment the receiver is uncovered and is open to catch a pass. The S and the DB need to be on the same page as far as the exchange goes. Regardless of it being man or zone, the DB still has to cover, he just isn't  running all over the field with the same guy. The DB also has to make a decision if he is going take a hand off from a LB who is covering a TE or a RB where a WR might be running a clear out for them so the TE or RB can slip in after the DB is out of position. You basically need really smart secondary players on top of the ability to cover. Regardless of which scheme you are running, they still have to be able to get in position to make a pick or be able to bait a QB into thinking a man is open when he isn't. 

Just because the responsibilities are different in man and zone doesn't  mean you can't  suck at both.

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yea, but we're talking Jets history.

That's a losing proposition.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

There isn't  a lot of difference. I. A zone you are responsible for an area instead of man and if you have shallow  responsibility,  you have to hand him off to a deep S at some point and it is important to know when to make the hand off because that is the moment the receiver is uncovered and is open to catch a pass. The S and the DB need to be on the same page as far as the exchange goes. Regardless of it being man or zone, the DB still has to cover, he just isn't  running all over the field with the same guy. The DB also has to make a decision if he is going take a hand off from a LB who is covering a TE or a RB where a WR might be running a clear out for them so the TE or RB can slip in after the DB is out of position. You basically need really smart secondary players on top of the ability to cover. Regardless of which scheme you are running, they still have to be able to get in position to make a pick or be able to bait a QB into thinking a man is open when he isn't. 

Just because the responsibilities are different in man and zone doesn't  mean you can't  suck at both.

No difference at all

If you have no idea about how the game is played

Thanks for clarifying that you dont

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No difference at all

If you have no idea about how the game is played

Thanks for clarifying that you dont

You know, someone said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result so I am done trying to explain my point of view to you. 

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You know, someone said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result so I am done trying to explain my point of view to you. 

Dont sell yourself short, you made a lot of different points all wrong

You try and explain to someone else that man and zone D in the secondary is the same.  That I know the difference and you dont isnt explaining a point of view.  

Sam Darnold was a classy, nice, polite, and tough young kid who was thrown into an absolute no-win situation with this loser-ass, garbage franchise and you soulless ghouls are now praying he fails in Carolina to justify your weird little  martyr complexes. Get over yourselves, freaks. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1