Jets HC Robert Saleh Talks Zach Wilson, Sam Darnold & More with Rich Eisen | Full Interview

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I like our coach a lot.  "You can't be afraid of playing young guys."

What a difference from Clown shoes Gase.

That caught my ear as well.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Love it. But was he saying that responding to a question about Wilson? Seems kinda obvious. 

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not just Gase but how often did we sit here chirping for young guys to play under Bowles too

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Not just Gase but how often did we sit here chirping for young guys to play under Bowles too

About the only guy that actually did this was Gregg Williams.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Not just Gase but Bowles and Rex also hated playing young players and always wanted veterans out there. Bowles may have been the worst. Great thing to hear.

• Upvote 4

Good stuff.  Saleh is the man!  I was so fired up about the possibility of getting this guy months before the season ended. Still can't believe we landed him.  He's the real deal from a culture building standpoint, all about integrity, teamwork and lifting people up.  I think we're going to be impressed.  It will take some time and could look a little ugly for a while, but he's the right guy to steer a ship through a storm.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gase, Bowles, Rex, Herm, Parcells

None of them ever wanted to play rookies.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, choon328 said:

It sounds like they are expecting a rough season record wise and so am I. This season is about laying a foundation to set up sustained success. I just want to see the young guys grow and get better throughout the year regardless of record, especially Wilson. 

Yes. How do you define success in 2021? For me it has little to do with wins. 

8 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

The Tuna didn't like playing rookies as well..

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Dcat said:

Gase, Bowles, Rex, Herm, Parcells

None of them ever wanted to play rookies.  

Parcells would say to figure one loss for every rookie you start, and I don't think he was even talking about starting rookie QBs. Rookies miss assignments and rookies commit penalties. Those sorts of things end drives and lose football games. It's something to expect this season. 

I don't think it matters with the Jets this year, though. The primary feature of this team is just how young it is, and that will not change next year when they bring in another five picks in the top 50. As a rookie head coach himself, with rookie coordinators under him, I think the plan will be for everyone to grow up together. With new systems being taught to either side of the ball, the veterans will be learning it, too, negating some of their advantage to win starting jobs. I expect the goal will be to get this year's kids up & running so that they can help next year's batch of kids come along faster. The way they're building the team, they don't have much choice. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, choon328 said:

It sounds like they are expecting a rough season record wise and so am I. This season is about laying a foundation to set up sustained success. I just want to see the young guys grow and get better throughout the year regardless of record, especially Wilson. 

I expect some big big plays we love and some big mistakes that will make us sad - but like you say, growth. Pete Carroll has had a lot of good young players blossom, and so I'm glad that Saleh sees the wisdom in that method.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, slats said:

Parcells would say to figure one loss for every rookie you start, and I don't think he was even talking about starting rookie QBs. Rookies miss assignments and rookies commit penalties. Those sorts of things end drives and lose football games. It's something to expect this season. 

I don't think it matters with the Jets this year, though. The primary feature of this team is just how young it is, and that will not change next year when they bring in another five picks in the top 50. As a rookie head coach himself, with rookie coordinators under him, I think the plan will be for everyone to grow up together. With new systems being taught to either side of the ball, the veterans will be learning it, too, negating some of their advantage to win starting jobs. I expect the goal will be to get this year's kids up & running so that they can help next year's batch of kids come along faster. The way they're building the team, they don't have much choice. 

Personally I have always hated a lot of the Parcell-isms that get repeated all the time because they are mostly BS. The Jets could start as many as 7 rookies and all of them are likely to be upgrades.. I do not think this team will be as bad as many think. In fact with our schedule and our brand new staff I think we compete strongly for a playoff spot.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Personally I have always hated a lot of the Parcell-isms that get repeated all the time because they are mostly BS. The Jets could start as many as 7 rookies and all of them are likely to be upgrades.. I do not think this team will be as bad as many think. In fact with our schedule and our brand new staff I think we compete strongly for a playoff spot.

Love your optimism, but I feel like you're in for some disappointment. 

My personal best case has 2021 as a foundation year, then in '22 they compete for playoffs, and in '23 they're in the championship discussion. And that's about as full as I can get my glass. 

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Love it. But was he saying that responding to a question about Wilson? Seems kinda obvious. 

The conversation had moved to talking about AVT and Moore at that point and I think he was speaking to more of a philosophy anyway.

Expanded on it by saying that you take lumps early but those guys also have more room to grow and you see more accelerated team improvement that way.

Saleh is awesome. The way he talked about going on the grass and how he just steps into this different world was so cool. There’s a happiness and a gratitude he exudes that I would guess comes from working outside of football for a bit and then coming back to it...makes him so fun to listen to.

• Upvote 2

I don't care about wins this year.   Seeing a well run team with young coaches and players that hustle and compete and care will be enough for me.  

You can tell when something good is happening.  The Knicks were 11-15 and we all knew things were different this time.

• Post of the Week 1

"Don't judge us on the past, judge us on what we do from this day forward" seemed like something that some around these parts should take note of...great interview...

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, slats said:

Love your optimism, but I feel like you're in for some disappointment. 

My personal best case has 2021 as a foundation year, then in '22 they compete for playoffs, and in '23 they're in the championship discussion. And that's about as full as I can get my glass. 

Fair enough. I actually do feel 2021 is a foundational year as well, but I think there are a lot of factors that will lead to us competing.

Seem to me that Saleh's style and personality is a perfect fit for this young, inexperienced but talented bunch of kids. He has really made a good impression so far. If his team plays with passion and energy, I don't care what their record is next year but I wouldn't sleep on them.

• Upvote 2

Mekhi Becton. 

Denzel Mims. 

Zach Wilson. 

Vera-Tucker. 

Elijah Moore. 

Have been our 5 picks within the first two rounds over the previous two drafts under JD. 

Awesome start on offense. 

However...

2022's draft picks featuring 4 picks within the first two rounds is when I believe we can really...

COMPLETE OUR OFFENSIVE ATTACK!!

It's remarkable how many 'I dont care about wins" post are here. They won't age well.

I like Saleh, I think he realizes that

A. He has a young developing team
B. There are still a lot of holes, particularly CB, TE, LB and Oline
C. We play in a division where ALL of the other teams also improved.
D. His coaching staff are all also in new roles and there is no way to know how they will perform in a losing environment.

Patience is the key this year. I truly hated everything Gase related and our schedule was rough last year but there were times towards the end where we looked semi capable. I'm hoping that wasn't misleading because the playoffs might be a stretch but 8 wins should be the goal.

Sent from the NY Jets Draft Suicide Watch desk.

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Good stuff.  Saleh is the man!  I was so fired up about the possibility of getting this guy months before the season ended. Still can't believe we landed him.  He's the real deal from a culture building standpoint, all about integrity, teamwork and lifting people up.  I think we're going to be impressed.  It will take some time and could look a little ugly for a while, but he's the right guy to steer a ship through a storm.

Agree and what I liked is that he said, " just us by what we do now going forward, not the past."  Season will be rough but like he said they drafted guys that want to play and are competitors .... should be a fun season even if the w-l record is not great. 

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, dcJet said:

I don't care about wins this year.   Seeing a well run team with young coaches and players that hustle and compete and care will be enough for me.  

Agree with this to a certain extent but wins are important especially for a young team to build confidence in themselves and to learn how to win so when the team is built and actually ready to compete for playoffs and division crown they will know what it takes to be consistent winners which hopefully translates into multiple Lombardi trophies 

That's a good sign. Saleh is ready and willing to play the young guys, knows there will be some growing pains as he alluded to, but understands the benefits of getting through those growing pains and developing the players (something some people on the board have dismissed as a HC's responsibility in the past). His charisma should go far in helping that process as he calms the team, the fans, and the owners with his words of wisdom week by week. 

On 5/14/2021 at 7:31 AM, OilfieldJet said:

Yes. How do you define success in 2021? For me it has little to do with wins. 

Exactly.... Having some middle of the pack offensive numbers would be really nice for a change.