Cutting Cable TV

Ok i'm about done with Optimum cable in my area.  I have the basic package, internet and land-line phone paying $215.00 a month. I was due a promotion May 1 and they refuse to offer me one saying Covid has caused many to cancel services and cannot give any discounts. 

What are my options besides Verizon and Dish TV which if a better deal or no other options  I may sign on. 

We want to continue to get all the local channels, sports ESPN, Yankees games and of course the Housewives of N.J etc for the wife. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ok i'm about done with Optimum cable in my area.  I have the basic package, internet and land-line phone paying $215.00 a month. I was due a promotion May 1 and they refuse to offer me one saying Covid has caused many to cancel services and cannot give any discounts. 

What are my options besides Verizon and Dish TV which if a better deal or no other options  I may sign on. 

We want to continue to get all the local channels, sports ESPN, Yankees games and of course the Housewives of N.J etc for the wife. 

WOW ! We have Fios here near Buffalo. Internet 400 speed, landline with unlimited long distance, 300+ channels  with Epic, Strarz, Encore, The Movie Channel and Showtime and I'm paying $177 which includes all taxes. Try to get Fios . 

9 hours ago, chirorob said:

I went with Hulu, and we've been thrilled.

I also have friends that got an HD Antenna for about 50 bucks, that gets all the local channels with a really nice picture.

Im familiar with the HD antenna we had one at my former workplace and got a limited selection of the local NY channels in HD. 

Optimum is no longer a user friendly company and there resistance to give a customer who has been with them for 30 years a break is disturbing when they give new subscribers all the deals. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im familiar with the HD antenna we had one at my former workplace and got a limited selection of the local NY channels in HD. 

Optimum is no longer a user friendly company and there resistance to give a customer who has been with them for 30 years a break is disturbing when they give new subscribers all the deals. 

It's stupid business, it is far cheaper to keep an existing client than to get a new one.   To give a new client a better deal than someone you have had a relationship for years...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Dish is atrocious. Verizon is equally as expensive but more reliable IMO thank Optimum, especially Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Verizon, just depends on where you are.   I had them for 6 months, and it was amazing how bad it was.   Messed up bills, kept cancelling stations I was paying for, it was astounding how bad their customer service was.  Other people, no problems.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Next call should be to customer retention. If Fios is available to you in your town, tell them you have an appointment set up with them. These are the people that will help you.

5 hours ago, section314 said:

Next call should be to customer retention. If Fios is available to you in your town, tell them you have an appointment set up with them. These are the people that will help you.

Verizon is worse in my area the customer service sucks. 

True story I belong to a volunteer fire department we cancelled Fios HD-TV and returned all the equipment. 

Our treasurer had no clue we did this and thought he was paying for Verizon internet this went on for 3 years until we realized we had been paying them for service we didn't have. 

They refused to refund the money. 

So no go with Verizon for me. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

WOW ! We have Fios here near Buffalo. Internet 400 speed, landline with unlimited long distance, 300+ channels  with Epic, Strarz, Encore, The Movie Channel and Showtime and I'm paying $177 which includes all taxes. Try to get Fios . 

That’s what we have here too. Least it says that on the lot the box in the backyard. 

16 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

True story I belong to a volunteer fire department we cancelled Fios HD-TV and returned all the equipment. 

Our treasurer had no clue we did this and thought he was paying for Verizon internet this went on for 3 years until we realized we had been paying them for service we didn't have. 

Wow?

I have frontier down here in FL. I only have their highest speed internet at 80 a month. Then, we have netflicks at 15 more and youtubetv at 60 so for like $155 we have the fastest internet and between youtubetv andnetflicks all the entertainment youd want but YES its too expensive!

On 5/14/2021 at 9:09 AM, chirorob said:

It's stupid business, it is far cheaper to keep an existing client than to get a new one.   To give a new client a better deal than someone you have had a relationship for years...

They are pretty saturated it’s hard to get new customers.  

I got a better deal from optimum but I had to threaten to quit and then quit for 3 months.  Problem is no other option for broadband. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2021 at 3:10 PM, joewilly12 said:

Need to get a new treasurer!

pretty terrible they didn’t return the money.  Did they say you didn’t cancel it?

5 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Need to get a new treasurer!

pretty terrible they didn’t return the money.  Did they say you didn’t cancel it?

Volunteers hard to find these days. 

Of course they knew we cancelled we retuned the TV boxes you need to intercept the signal. 

We even showed them the receipts for the date the new service started. 

Verizon sucks. 

48 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Volunteers hard to find these days. 

Of course they knew we cancelled we retuned the TV boxes you need to intercept the signal. 

We even showed them the receipts for the date the new service started. 

Verizon sucks. 

I know re treasurer. Just a hard thankless job. 

verizon should have cut the not for profit a break.  But I can’t imagine they kept sending a bill after you cancelled service.  Returning the box isn’t cancelling in their crazy mind. 

On 5/13/2021 at 10:35 PM, joewilly12 said:

Internet + YouTube TV would be my choice.

• Upvote 1