Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Ok i'm about done with Optimum cable in my area.  I have the basic package, internet and land-line phone paying $215.00 a month. I was due a promotion May 1 and they refuse to offer me one saying Covid has caused many to cancel services and cannot give any discounts. 

What are my options besides Verizon and Dish TV which if a better deal or no other options  I may sign on. 

We want to continue to get all the local channels, sports ESPN, Yankees games and of course the Housewives of N.J etc for the wife. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with Hulu, and we've been thrilled.

I also have friends that got an HD Antenna for about 50 bucks, that gets all the local channels with a really nice picture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ok i'm about done with Optimum cable in my area.  I have the basic package, internet and land-line phone paying $215.00 a month. I was due a promotion May 1 and they refuse to offer me one saying Covid has caused many to cancel services and cannot give any discounts. 

What are my options besides Verizon and Dish TV which if a better deal or no other options  I may sign on. 

We want to continue to get all the local channels, sports ESPN, Yankees games and of course the Housewives of N.J etc for the wife. 

WOW ! We have Fios here near Buffalo. Internet 400 speed, landline with unlimited long distance, 300+ channels  with Epic, Strarz, Encore, The Movie Channel and Showtime and I'm paying $177 which includes all taxes. Try to get Fios . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chirorob said:

I went with Hulu, and we've been thrilled.

I also have friends that got an HD Antenna for about 50 bucks, that gets all the local channels with a really nice picture.

Im familiar with the HD antenna we had one at my former workplace and got a limited selection of the local NY channels in HD. 

Optimum is no longer a user friendly company and there resistance to give a customer who has been with them for 30 years a break is disturbing when they give new subscribers all the deals. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im familiar with the HD antenna we had one at my former workplace and got a limited selection of the local NY channels in HD. 

Optimum is no longer a user friendly company and there resistance to give a customer who has been with them for 30 years a break is disturbing when they give new subscribers all the deals. 

It's stupid business, it is far cheaper to keep an existing client than to get a new one.   To give a new client a better deal than someone you have had a relationship for years...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Dish is atrocious. Verizon is equally as expensive but more reliable IMO thank Optimum, especially Internet.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Verizon, just depends on where you are.   I had them for 6 months, and it was amazing how bad it was.   Messed up bills, kept cancelling stations I was paying for, it was astounding how bad their customer service was.  Other people, no problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im familiar with the HD antenna we had one at my former workplace and got a limited selection of the local NY channels in HD. 

Optimum is no longer a user friendly company and there resistance to give a customer who has been with them for 30 years a break is disturbing when they give new subscribers all the deals. 

Next call should be to customer retention. If Fios is available to you in your town, tell them you have an appointment set up with them. These are the people that will help you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, section314 said:

Next call should be to customer retention. If Fios is available to you in your town, tell them you have an appointment set up with them. These are the people that will help you.

Verizon is worse in my area the customer service sucks. 

True story I belong to a volunteer fire department we cancelled Fios HD-TV and returned all the equipment. 

Our treasurer had no clue we did this and thought he was paying for Verizon internet this went on for 3 years until we realized we had been paying them for service we didn't have. 

They refused to refund the money. 

So no go with Verizon for me. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had trouble with all of them, but Comcast was by far the worst.  They started calling themselves xfinity so people wouldn't realize they were dealing with the devil.  It doesn't take those people long to find out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

WOW ! We have Fios here near Buffalo. Internet 400 speed, landline with unlimited long distance, 300+ channels  with Epic, Strarz, Encore, The Movie Channel and Showtime and I'm paying $177 which includes all taxes. Try to get Fios . 

That’s what we have here too. Least it says that on the lot the box in the backyard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Verizon is worse in my area the customer service sucks. 

True story I belong to a volunteer fire department we cancelled Fios HD-TV and returned all the equipment. 

Our treasurer had no clue we did this and thought he was paying for Verizon internet this went on for 3 years until we realized we had been paying them for service we didn't have. 

They refused to refund the money. 

So no go with Verizon for me. 

Wow😩

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have frontier down here in FL. I only have their highest speed internet at 80 a month. Then, we have netflicks at 15 more and youtubetv at 60 so for like $155 we have the fastest internet and between youtubetv andnetflicks all the entertainment youd want but YES its too expensive!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2021 at 9:09 AM, chirorob said:

It's stupid business, it is far cheaper to keep an existing client than to get a new one.   To give a new client a better deal than someone you have had a relationship for years...

They are pretty saturated it’s hard to get new customers.  
 

I got a better deal from optimum but I had to threaten to quit and then quit for 3 months.  Problem is no other option for broadband. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2021 at 3:10 PM, joewilly12 said:

Verizon is worse in my area the customer service sucks. 

True story I belong to a volunteer fire department we cancelled Fios HD-TV and returned all the equipment. 

Our treasurer had no clue we did this and thought he was paying for Verizon internet this went on for 3 years until we realized we had been paying them for service we didn't have. 

They refused to refund the money. 

So no go with Verizon for me. 

Need to get a new treasurer!

 

pretty terrible they didn’t return the money.  Did they say you didn’t cancel it?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Need to get a new treasurer!

 

pretty terrible they didn’t return the money.  Did they say you didn’t cancel it?

 

Volunteers hard to find these days. 

Of course they knew we cancelled we retuned the TV boxes you need to intercept the signal. 

We even showed them the receipts for the date the new service started. 

Verizon sucks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Volunteers hard to find these days. 

Of course they knew we cancelled we retuned the TV boxes you need to intercept the signal. 

We even showed them the receipts for the date the new service started. 

Verizon sucks. 

I know re treasurer. Just a hard thankless job. 
 

verizon should have cut the not for profit a break.  But I can’t imagine they kept sending a bill after you cancelled service.  Returning the box isn’t cancelling in their crazy mind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2021 at 10:35 PM, joewilly12 said:

Ok i'm about done with Optimum cable in my area.  I have the basic package, internet and land-line phone paying $215.00 a month. I was due a promotion May 1 and they refuse to offer me one saying Covid has caused many to cancel services and cannot give any discounts. 

What are my options besides Verizon and Dish TV which if a better deal or no other options  I may sign on. 

We want to continue to get all the local channels, sports ESPN, Yankees games and of course the Housewives of N.J etc for the wife. 

Internet + YouTube TV would be my choice.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...