Fantastic Interview with Zach: He is the MAN

Seemed like every interview ive seen with a Jets qb the last few decades.

More interested to hear his answers after his first disastrous performance as well as his first great game..  assuming he goes into the season as the starter.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, SAR I said:

Mark Sanchez is the greatest postseason quarterback in New York Jets history.  He's not the reason we didn't make it to the Super Bowl.  We were supposed to win on defense, and the defense blew both Championship Games.

SAR I

Actually we are suppose to out score the other team. That’s how you win. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

More interested to hear his answers after his first disastrous performance as well as his first great game..  assuming he goes into the season as the starter.

Pretty milk toast standard stuff. Certainly a sweetheart of a kid though, so that’s nice. 

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Mark Sanchez is the greatest postseason quarterback in New York Jets history.  He's not the reason we didn't make it to the Super Bowl.  We were supposed to win on defense, and the defense blew both Championship Games.

SAR I

Sanchez had the clutch gene. Some guys just do. But nothing else about his game was special.

15 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Actually we are suppose to out score the other team. That’s how you win. 

Tell Rex Ryan that.  His team was built to emulate the '86 Bears so he prioritized the QB position like Jim McMahon.

We had a lead in Indianapolis that was blown.  And in Pittsburgh we had no time of possession.  If that D stops Indy, we win.  If that D doesn't let the Steelers run and throw all over the field, we win, hell, if they made one more measly stop at the end we win.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Sanchez had the clutch gene. Some guys just do. But nothing else about his game was special.

Agreed.  And it's also about context.

If the Jets were built to win like the 1981 San Diego Chargers, I'd agree that Mark Sanchez was awful.

But we weren't.  We were built to win like the 1986 Chicago Bears, and Mark Sanchez exceeded those expectations. 

Our offense wasn't the focus of Rex Ryan.  Its no surprise then that when his D fell apart the O couldn't compensate.  How could it?  Mark Sanchez wasn't the second coming of Peyton Manning.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, choon328 said:

I love all of his interviews with the BYU network and I hope he keeps doing them although this sounded like it might be the last one.  He's just so relaxed and likeable and I can see why the front office and coaching staff really liked him during their zoom sessions.

The big takeaways for me is how he said he's staying in the NY/NJ area through the end of mini camp so he can study film and get to know his fellow rookies and teammates. He also said NONE of his family members are moving to the area and he'll live all alone. And that's bc he won't have time to do anything bc of how much work he'll be putting in each day. We're so used to Sanchez and Darnold running back to California at every chance they had. They even asked him if he would bring Jets players to Utah to having throwing sessions in between mini camp any training camp and he said no bc he's sure nobody wants to go to Utah lol. He said maybe someplace like Florida bc of the weather. 

He also said how important it was for him to know a lot of the playbook by the time mini camp comes around so he doesn't look stupid (paraphrasing).

The only reason anyone wouldn't like this kid is bc you have an agenda. Let's hope his play on the field is as smooth as his words. 

You mean an agenda as in thinking the Jets f*cked Sammy and we're still getting over it? Yes. You're absolutely correct on that notion. However, I do NOT dislike Zach. Zach, for me is everything I'm not and everything I wish I could be. He's a great kid, superior athlete, and I like everything else about him up to and including his politics. So the answer is NO, I do not have any agenda of any kind. I doubt anyone else could possibly have an agenda. Anyone who takes a disliking to Zach will do that based on his play on the field.

• WTF? 2

25 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Tell Rex Ryan that.  His team was built to emulate the '86 Bears so he prioritized the QB position like Jim McMahon.

We had a lead in Indianapolis that was blown.  And in Pittsburgh we had no time of possession.  If that D stops Indy, we win.  If that D doesn't let the Steelers run and throw all over the field, we win, hell, if they made one more measly stop at the end we win.

SAR I

If we scored more points because our QB threw touchdown passes we win. 

22 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If we scored more points because our QB threw touchdown passes we win. 

Yes.

Then Mark Sanchez shouldn't have been drafted.  We stick with Brett Favre, we win a Super Bowl.  Maybe two.

Rex Ryan built a flawed team.  One with a cheap young quarterback and cheap old WR's so that he could afford his expensive defenders.  You don't blame Mark Sanchez for that.  He exceeded expectations.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

"My mind's tellin' me no, but my body.....my body's tellin' me yes."

I have to keep reminding myself that I felt the same exact way about Browning Nagle.

SAR I

After going 21 of 37 for 366 yards with 2 TDs and 0 Int in his first start. I was convinced we had hit pay dirt with Nagle.

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes.

Then Mark Sanchez shouldn't have been drafted.  We stick with Brett Favre, we win a Super Bowl.  Maybe two.

Rex Ryan built a flawed team.  One with a cheap young quarterback and cheap old WR's so that he could afford his expensive defenders.  You don't blame Mark Sanchez for that.  He exceeded expectations.

SAR I

Thank you!

:) 

• Post of the Week 1

56 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes.

SAR I

Team was built before Rex got  there, but yeah Sanchez was blameless. Certainly on Rex for not keeping the core together to progress with Mark’s maturation as a player. Neither did any other team he went to but probably just bad luck. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

You mean an agenda as in thinking the Jets f*cked Sammy and we're still getting over it? Yes. You're absolutely correct on that notion. However, I do NOT dislike Zach. Zach, for me is everything I'm not and everything I wish I could be. He's a great kid, superior athlete, and I like everything else about him up to and including his politics. So the answer is NO, I do not have any agenda of any kind. I doubt anyone else could possibly have an agenda. Anyone who takes a disliking to Zach will do that based on his play on the field.

Who is even talking about you?? Narcissist much

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yes.

SAR I

This is wrong.

The team was built with a strong defense , running game and a great, expensive OL.  The team and plan wasn't flawed. 

The team was built to support a QB through his early years - and the expectation is that QB gets better and won't require the best OL, running game and defense in football to win.

Mark never got better.  That's what happened.

Look, I liked Sanchez and do understand your point - that Mark did what he was capable of doing..Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a limitied talent that made far too many mistaktes and never got better.  He was the same player in year four that he was as a rookie.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is wrong.

The team was built with a strong defense , running game and a great, expensive OL.  The team and plan wasn't flawed. 

The team was built to support a QB through his early years - and the expectation is that QB gets better and won't require the best OL, running game and defense in football to win.

Mark never got better.  That's what happened.

Look, I liked Sanchez and do understand your point - that Mark did what he was capable of doing..Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a limitied talent that made far too many mistaktes and never got better.  He was the same player in year four that he was as a rookie.

I agree with almost all of what you wrote.  

But explain to me why this fanbase shows respect to the likes of Vinny Testaverde and Chad Pennington and not Mark Sanchez.  Mark did more with less than both of those players offensively, and he was the best postseason QB we’ve ever had.  They blame Mark and he was never the prospect that Testaverde or Pennington was yet accomplished more than either.  

SAR I

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

YES!

Zach loves our stadium.  Now we don’t have to hear the complainers anymore. 

SAR I

It’s solved. MetLife is no longer a soulless air conditioner in a swamp. Thanks Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I agree with almost all of what you wrote.  

But explain to me why this fanbase shows respect to the likes of Vinny Testaverde and Chad Pennington and not Mark Sanchez.  Mark did more with less than both of those players offensively, and he was the best postseason QB we’ve ever had.  They blame Mark and he was never the prospect that Testaverde or Pennington was yet accomplished more than either.  

SAR I

Yes, I completely agree here.  I'm a Sanchez fan - he stepped up in those playoff games and made some huge, clutch throws.  He deserves more respect from this fan base.  You are correct.

Vinny though was doing it with offense and was a local guy, 1st overall pick that was bad everywhere else and played great when he came here - was just a cool story that got the fan base riled up.- a different vibe.

Chad gets beat up around here as much as Sanchez does.  I loved Chad too - he stepped up in big spots too - He was a limited athlete whose arm was just never going to be strong enough to carry the team.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Team was built before Rex got  there, but yeah Sanchez was blameless. Certainly on Rex for not keeping the core together to progress with Mark’s maturation as a player. Neither did any other team he went to but probably just bad luck. 

Sanchez showed some ability in his first two years, but the third year Rex brought together the psychotic thug squad of Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason, and Santonio Holmes, who brutalized Sanchez on the daily. Rex ******* sucked.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Agree that Zach is very encouraging (to the extent one can be off the field) - most dudes would be back home already, like his insistence across all media so far that he is focused on learning the play book and preparing. Still want to see him with Davis and Mims though. 

On Sanchez. I think two things are getting crossed (that are distinct):

- He delivered in the PLAYOFFS. Several big time wins (including Foxboro) where he made quality throws (even accounting for his stacked line, and skill player surroundings). Rex's defense choked in both championship games (couldn't protect the lead against Indy, didn't show up until 2nd half in Pittsburgh).

- He absolutely didn't over perform over the course of his career. When the team flipped economics, investing in him at QB and reducing investment in the line and skill players he struggled to cope and by the end was unplayable (looked jittery receiving the snap). 

I had hoped that Mark would find more success at a later stop and wish he had but those later moments reinforced what we saw later in his tenure. 

He seems a great guy and I think will increasingly be effective in broadcast and as a talking head - so I'm glad he has found life after the playing field - for me irrespective of the other stuff the playoff wins earned him that karma.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Pac said:

Watching Darnold Interviews  was like watching paint dry same crap over and over and over

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Sanchez showed some ability in his first two years, but the third year Rex brought together the psychotic thug squad of Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason, and Santonio Holmes, who brutalized Sanchez on the daily. Rex ******* sucked.

Oof

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Pac said:

Exactly he’s not trying out for the debate team. Don’t care if he’s a mouth-breathing troglodyte who has to sign his contract with an “X” — can he throw the ball to the guys in green jerseys, or not?

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

YES!

Zach loves our stadium.  Now we don’t have to hear the complainers anymore. 

SAR I

Pay me $50m and I’ll throw out an insta about how awesome a nail through the penis is

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, static14 said:

trying to temper my excitement but he keeps on saying (and it appears, doing) all the right things! 

Exactly.  So refreshing to not have to listen to Darnold struggle with answers like he did.  He always looked like he was in pain, not enjoying his job and not having a clue what he was doing and what it took to win.  Zack is a natural born speaker and leader.  

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

Sanchez was not pitched as the second coming of Peyton Manning.  He was overdrafted because the Jets were cheap at the QB position and didn't have Favre.  Winning 4 of 6 playoff games and being the best Jet on the field in consecutive AFC Championship Games was more than anyone should have expected. 

SAR I

This again?

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

Agreed.  And it's also about context.

If the Jets were built to win like the 1981 San Diego Chargers, I'd agree that Mark Sanchez was awful.

But we weren't.  We were built to win like the 1986 Chicago Bears, and Mark Sanchez exceeded those expectations. 

Our offense wasn't the focus of Rex Ryan.  Its no surprise then that when his D fell apart the O couldn't compensate.  How could it?  Mark Sanchez wasn't the second coming of Peyton Manning.

SAR I

Those Jets teams were buit to play defense and run the football.  Running the football allowed us to dominate TOP on O and keep the D rested.  The O was unable to control TOP in the Indy game and in the Pittsburgh game the O left the D on the field the entire first half.  Our firts 4 drives in Pittsburgh were punt, punt, punt, fumble.   That wasn't the formula.  The formula was run the ball down teams throats, keep the great D fresh so they could stop the other team.   We were terrible on third down conversions in both AFC championship games. 

We had less than 100 yards rushing in both games and we had turnovers on O in both games.  That's not the Chicago Bears or the Rex Ryan formula for winning football.  

The Chicago Bears ran for 167 yards on NE in the SB.  They absolutely dominated TOP in ever playoff game and ran the ball at will during their SB run.  Their D was great and it was fresh because they ran the ball and didn't turn it over when they had it.  

Sanchez was fine but the reality is neither Pittsburgh or Indy were worried about stopping Sanchez to beat us and they were right.

• Upvote 2

On 5/14/2021 at 7:25 AM, Savage69 said:

Mark was doing Photo shoots with a model for a magazine Zak want's to hang out watching film what a concept..B)  

Matt Leinart was recently on a podcast talking about his career and it was very telling.  He said that he worked hard and cared about being good, cared about his teammates and winning, but that he did not eat, sleep and breathe football, he really liked it and respected the game and the lockerroom but didnt LOVE it.  He was pretty candid that once you get to this level, unless you are 10000 dedicated, or have really elite talent, you will never make it.

I really think Zach has the level of dedication necessary.  There are obviously other parts that he will need to be successful, but I do think he is someone who will be football and family and thats it.

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, I completely agree here.  I'm a Sanchez fan - he stepped up in those playoff games and made some huge, clutch throws.  He deserves more respect from this fan base.  You are correct.

Vinny though was doing it with offense and was a local guy, 1st overall pick that was bad everywhere else and played great when he came here - was just a cool story that got the fan base riled up.- a different vibe.

Chad gets beat up around here as much as Sanchez does.  I loved Chad too - he stepped up in big spots too - He was a limited athlete whose arm was just never going to be strong enough to carry the team.

Not quite true he made the Pro Bowl in 1996 with 33 td's and 4,177 yds..