I haven't been this optimistic and energetic about the Jets in a long time. Should I be concerned?

2 hours ago, slats said:

Because everybody's a rookie. Rookies make mistakes. Mistakes are going to be made from the head coach on down this year as everyone learns on the job. Saleh's getting some universal love right now, but we're gonna hear it on this forum the first time he botches a time out or a replay. It's gonna happen. Zach Wilson is gonna make bad throws and reads. AVT is gonna turn the wrong way. 

Vegas has the Jets at 6.5 wins and I think that's just about right. I wouldn't feel confident putting money on either side of that bet. 

I don't necessarily disagree with that but Nick Mullens as a rookie was decent in the same offense, and I think the offensive talent on the Jets is maybe better (they did have Kittle though) than that 2018 SF team, and Wilson is a far far better prospect.  I mean the entire offensive concept is to make responsibilities simple so there are less mistakes. I think even with the 4 or 5 rookie starters we can be Top 16 in offense.

And our defense will also be better just from scheme and moving to zone which fits our CBs much much better and we have a really good DL also suited better for a 4-3 base.

There is also the fact that the Jets will be difficult to game plan for, especially for the first 8 games or so because everything about our philosophy is different both on offense and defense. Our defense has been the same core concept for 20 years. All the built in tendencies you expect from the Jets are wrong. It is why rookie head coaches are often very successful in their first seasons. 

Plus our schedule is pretty simple. We don't really face elite defenses and we may only face 2 elite level QBs the entire season. Our 2020 schedule was vastly more difficult.

I think we compete for a playoff spot,

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

I like the overall direction of the team. A lot. But this year is gonna be a pretty bumpy road. 

Not sure if this narrative makes much sense. This is a drastically updated roaster with a new scheme, HC, and an easier schedule then last year. I don’t think anyone knows what this team will end up at. But this idea we are destined for a 5 win season seems to be based off very thin data 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

As the long-time President of the Disgruntled NY Jets Fan Club, I have a weird sense of positivity and optimism about the Jets that I haven't had in well.....forever. Absolutely love Douglas and Saleh and what they're instilling into the entire organization. Love JD's team management and can't state how much I love Saleh's passion. Even yesterday, guy who went to Saleh's high school in Dearborn, saw the personalized NY Jets plate on my car and took a few minutes to state how he's a Jets fan because of what he means to Dearborn and his community. It was a pretty awesome feeling.

So my question for @Maxman @Sperm Edwards and others is: Should I be concerned and seek medical help?

It's only supposed to last for 4 hours. After that, you're supposed to seek medical attention. 

• Haha 4

I really look forward to a time when I will be optimitic and energetic during the regular season.  A lot to be hopeful about right now, but I will only get excited after seeing the product on the field has finally improved significantly.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Why? I realize we were 2-14 last year but most of the people and circumstances are completely different this year.

because you have New CS, new system, a very young team that will make mistakes....  Also, aren't 5 games out of your 1st 8 on the road?  

Finally, even Saleh said it during his interview that he is expecting bumps so .... 

1 hour ago, SOJ said:

because you have New CS, new system, a very young team that will make mistakes....  Also, aren't 5 games out of your 1st 8 on the road?  

Finally, even Saleh said it during his interview that he is expecting bumps so .... 

Well IMO new CS new systems and youth are all positives.  Our schemes are simple and minimize mistakes. No team is mistake free, We have a pretty easy schedule and I think Zach will be better early than people think.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

You have us splitting with the Bills ... dont think there's a chance at that.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The Jets last year held the Bills to only FGs in the game at MetLife and that was with one of the worst Jets teams ever next to the 1-15 team. It is possible to beat the Bills at MetLife.

I think what we'll see is a team that loses a lot of games, makes a ton of mistakes..but...

We're going to see a lot of explosive plays - and lot of the type of football we haven't seen around in a very, very long time.

We're going to see an offense and a QB that we'll know is going to be special, WR's that get separation and RB that will make people miss....And a team that will get better throughout the year.

Just too many young guys and coaches to compete this year - but that's going to change quickly..

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

As the long-time President of the Disgruntled NY Jets Fan Club, I have a weird sense of positivity and optimism about the Jets that I haven't had in well.....forever. Absolutely love Douglas and Saleh and what they're instilling into the entire organization. Love JD's team management and can't state how much I love Saleh's passion. Even yesterday, guy who went to Saleh's high school in Dearborn, saw the personalized NY Jets plate on my car and took a few minutes to state how he's a Jets fan because of what he means to Dearborn and his community. It was a pretty awesome feeling.

So my question for @Maxman @Sperm Edwards and others is: Should I be concerned and seek medical help?

Disgruntled NY Jets fan can be found in the dictionary under redundant.   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

The Jets last year held the Bills to only FGs in the game at MetLife and that was with one of the worst Jets teams ever next to the 1-15 team. It is possible to beat the Bills at MetLife.

Yes, let us hope Josh Allen is wearing a body cast again. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think what we'll see is a team that loses a lot of games, makes a ton of mistakes..but...

We're going to see a lot of explosive plays - and lot of the type of football we haven't seen around in a very, very long time.

We're going to see an offense and a QB that we'll know is going to be special, WR's that get separation and RB that will make people miss....And a team that will get better throughout the year.

Just too many young guys and coaches to compete this year - but that's going to change quickly..

I would be happy seeing a team with enough talent to compete, no quit attitude and good coaching.   I’m so tired on the quitting.   Mo Wilkerson, with only one good year IMO, seemed to always quit on the play.  I’d rather have players with heart.    

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Why? I realize we were 2-14 last year but most of the people and circumstances are completely different this year.

You don’t throw a bunch of new faces together and go from 2-14 to 9-8.  At least not often. I’d be glad for slats to be wrong but all the new faces are going to need time to move the needle. This was a very bad roster that is improved but still very young at the moment. 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with comments above that with a rookie team and coaching staff there will be mistakes and winnable games may be lost over those mistakes. As much as I want to demand more wins the better metric is whether the team is moving forward towards becoming a competitive force over the long term. It will be painful to watch but I'd rather take four wins and a lot of solid performances in losses than a Rex Ryan style eight wins and eight incredibly bad losses. It is unreasonable to expect a single year of rebuild would become a winning season when they didn't go full tilt spending in FA for short term success.

On 5/14/2021 at 12:38 PM, elvispookie said:

I told my coworkers "if I ever get optimistic about the Jets.. everyone has the rite to line up and summarily punch me in the ball sack for feeling that way"  

So I have motivations not to get this way.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I seem to remember something about how you're not supposed to talk about your ball sack with your coworkers.

Plenty of reason for optimism.  Down 3 mid-way through the 3rd.  Get 3 quick goals to force OT.  Ehlers gets the game winner.  3-0 up on the Oilers.  Go Jets!!!

Oh, wait.  Wrong Jets.

• Haha 2

On 5/14/2021 at 9:57 AM, WowOhWow said:

Seems we’re getting our act together in the front office.  We’re getting there from a team construction perspective but need another draft.  That said, I’m confident we’ll get there.  Then we’ll be in the stage where we feel the pain of losing games we should win that actually mean something. That’s something we haven’t had the chance to complain about in a long time - I’m very much looking forward to that

Wow, I actually forgot all about that feeling.....now I'm jazzed :)  

• Sympathy 1

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-set-to-begin-organized-team-activities

I know it's a fluff piece direct from the jets site but imo all of the optimism is justified when the coach says things like this: 

"It's our system," Saleh said. "Jeff Ulbrich is familiar with what we do. Obviously when we went to San Francisco, we evolved it a little bit more than what I think he's used to. We're going to make sure that we still have the same fundamentals and all that, but I do want him to add his little wrinkles to see if we can make it even better. I think we should always be thinking, evolution should be at the forefront of our minds on every aspect of football." 

We'll have to see how they handle diversity but with how Saleh has been preaching I can't imagine our guys just fold under pressure so easily. There were a ton of guys (still on the team) last year that played hard when it didn't matter so I have faith. 

Vegas now has the Jets O/U at 6 wins; tied with Jags, ahead only of the Texans and Lions at 5. That's down from 6.5, presumably, because too much money was going towards the under. 

Peter King did his early power rankings, and has the Jets 31st ahead of just the Texans. 

I think the team is headed in the right direction but, for this season at least, it's gonna be on a really bumpy road. 

• Upvote 1

I'm optimistic about the the intermediate and long range future of this new JD-Saleh Era.  They have a shared vision which has culminated into a pretty good FA offseason and draft.  Has me looking forward to this upcoming season.  But not for anything significant in terms of W-L record.  More in terms of establishing a legit rock solid foundation for future growth.   

When it comes to something good in the W column...I just feel you need to see what Jets will be after another FA-trade-draft process. 

After evaluations of the 2021 season... 

Jets will have in 2022 plenty of CAP space.  11 picks in all...with two premium 1st and 2nd rounders.  Those first two drafts under JD will have some experience under their belt.  Then the 2022 acquisitions will continue to fill holes and fortify the team with more quality starters...future starters and depth.  Real depth for a change.  That's when I expect the Jets to step forward into a playoff caliber team.  One that can be sustained for a significant run.  A run that contends for a Lombardi Trophy. 

I'm not gonna knock myself out with a must have W total this year.  For me the year is about planting the seeds for an abundant future harvest.  So...all I want to see come forth from this team...this year.  Is the establishment of what I like to call the three Big C's...

CULTURE...CHEMISTRY...COMPETITIVENESS 

Then lets go win...win...and keep winning...in 2022 and beyond.

On 5/14/2021 at 9:22 AM, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Don't know how to feel. Lat night I had a dream that Justin Fields was a Jet and on his first play he threw an 80 yard TD to Brandon Marshall. Also Revis was back. I seem to be getting mixed signals.

I will tell you what your dream means.   It is telling you to get a life and stop focusing all of your waking hours on the Jets!!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Alka said:

I will tell you what your dream means.   It is telling you to get a life and stop focusing all of your waking hours on the Jets!!

Uhh...

On 5/23/2021 at 9:46 AM, Alka said:

As a Jets fan, I do not want to think about this game.  The pleasure of winning the game is only outweighed by the extreme pain of losing this game.

We got rid of Sam Darnold, calling him a "bust" and a guy that the Jets needed in the worst way to get rid of.  The Jets have invested their entire future on Zach Wilson.  Jets fans are looking for a new beginning, a new day.

Well, that new day could start off as a Category 3 Hurricane, right on the doorstep of Florham Park.  

Yeah, I know you Jets fans out there will already start making excuses if we lose!  Zach is in his first game, he has not NFL experience, and Darnold has 3 NFL seasons behind him.  And, the Jets were the worst team in the NFL last year, with a bunch of new pieces, and the Panthers are not that bad, and they are playing at home.

I don't want to hear it!  I don't care!  

It's like the NFL schedulers want to inflict more pain on the Jets organization and Jets fans in general.  

If the Jets win, I will be profoundly relieved.  If they lose, unfortunately I have been conditioned to expect exactly that, and I am already not happy about it.

Let the pain continue!

On 5/23/2021 at 9:57 AM, Alka said:

I realize that this may make me sound like a loser, but I have invested a lot emotionally throughout my life as a Jets fan.  

I was intensely watching the Heidi game, and the memory of me getting ousted of watching the ending is still with me.  I was at the fake spike game, and the thought of that game still bothers me.  The AFC Championship game where Don Shula left the field uncovered the night before so the Fins would have a better shot at winning the game still bothers me, and on, and on, and on....

Sorry, for me it is more than just one game.  I am happy for you, in that is not a big deal.  It is a big deal for me.

• Haha 1