A Little Common Sense Please!

The Board is filled with topics and comments that are euphoric about the drafting of Zach Wilson and the Jets recent draft.  Trust me.  No one wants Wilson to succeed more than I do.  I watched Titans games in high school.  I always tell people that I was raised a Catholic.  Thus, we were put on this earth to suffer—and that’s why I am a Jets fan.

I am a huge fan of JD and think he has been brilliant in his handling the Jets since his ascension to the “CEO” of football operations.

BUT—We have a rookie HC, a rookie OC, a rookie DC and a rookie QB.  The OLine is a work in progress.  JD has added talent, but you can’t buy or draft cohesion.  It’s going to take time.  A lot of talent has been added to the skill positions.  But we are a year or more from having an established star in any of these slots.

Our D has some very fine players.  But we have a lot of holes/unknowns at LB and DB.  Is Mosley a real player or not?  Who knows?

And then there’s Zach.  He has a bunch of outstanding attributes.  He moves well, has a quick release, he’s charismatic.  And more.  But virtually all of the QB’s drafted in the early rounds over the last few years also had outstanding attributes—and still failed/disappointed.

Can Zach avoid injury—don’t know.  Can Zach read defenses at an NFL level—don’t know.  Can Zach work through the progression of WR options at a pro level—don’t know.  Will Zach be a top tier NFL QB—don’t know but I sure hope so.

Las Vegas has us at 6 wins and that seems about right.  My guess is we lose 5 of 6 in the division.  Maybe we get a split with NE.  Then, we play Denver, Tennessee, Indianapolis, New Orleans and Tampa Bay.  Maybe we win 1 of those.  That leaves Carolina, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Houston, Philadelphia and Jacksonville.  If we split those, that gives a 5 win season.

None of this is to throw dirt on the Wilson, Douglas or the Jets.  But it does suggest that we should be looking to 2022 for the first real sense that we are emerging as a force in the NFL.  If we have a 5-6 win season, the value of our draft capital increases in one of the more talent laden years.  All that is good.

Shrinks always link mania with depression and they are right.  Skip the euphoria, avoid the depression.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 5

1 hour ago, addage said:

The Board is filled with topics and comments that are euphoric about the drafting of Zach Wilson and the Jets recent draft.  Trust me.  No one wants Wilson to succeed more than I do.  I watched Titans games in high school.  I always tell people that I was raised a Catholic.  Thus, we were put on this earth to suffer—and that’s why I am a Jets fan.

I am a huge fan of JD and think he has been brilliant in his handling the Jets since his ascension to the “CEO” of football operations.

BUT—We have a rookie HC, a rookie OC, a rookie DC and a rookie QB.  The OLine is a work in progress.  JD has added talent, but you can’t buy or draft cohesion.  It’s going to take time.  A lot of talent has been added to the skill positions.  But we are a year or more from having an established star in any of these slots.

Our D has some very fine players.  But we have a lot of holes/unknowns at LB and DB.  Is Mosley a real player or not?  Who knows?

And then there’s Zach.  He has a bunch of outstanding attributes.  He moves well, has a quick release, he’s charismatic.  And more.  But virtually all of the QB’s drafted in the early rounds over the last few years also had outstanding attributes—and still failed/disappointed.

Can Zach avoid injury—don’t know.  Can Zach read defenses at an NFL level—don’t know.  Can Zach work through the progression of WR options at a pro level—don’t know.  Will Zach be a top tier NFL QB—don’t know but I sure hope so.

Las Vegas has us at 6 wins and that seems about right.  My guess is we lose 5 of 6 in the division.  Maybe we get a split with NE.  Then, we play Denver, Tennessee, Indianapolis, New Orleans and Tampa Bay.  Maybe we win 1 of those.  That leaves Carolina, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Houston, Philadelphia and Jacksonville.  If we split those, that gives a 5 win season.

None of this is to throw dirt on the Wilson, Douglas or the Jets.  But it does suggest that we should be looking to 2022 for the first real sense that we are emerging as a force in the NFL.  If we have a 5-6 win season, the value of our draft capital increases in one of the more talent laden years.  All that is good.

Shrinks always link mania with depression and they are right.  Skip the euphoria, avoid the depression.

Cue the tribe of Zach Wilson . . . .      

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

You're not the boss of me.  How about I be as optimistic as I want to be and you be as miserable and pessimistic as you choose?
Kinda like ... dont tell me 2 + 2 = 4 or the the earth is round ....

Flat earthers unite.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, addage said:

I always tell people that I was raised a Catholic.  Thus, we were put on this earth to suffer—and that’s why I am a Jets fan

LOL!

That’s the reason I stopped following the teachings of the Catholic “religion” and began following the teachings of Jesus Christ as found in the Bible. It’s all pretty simple..... love God with your whole heart and love your fellow man as you would yourself. The gift of salvation & Eternal life comes only through the faith that Jesus is the Son of God who willingly took the punishment for our sins upon himself that we may not face the  judgement of God and defeated death by HIS resurrection that HE may offer those who believe eternal life.

Couldn’t let this opportunity pass! Considering the state of the world and the direction we are heading in, an opportunity to offer truth, hope and salvation to anyone searching for those things seemed like a natural fit when discussing “Common Sense”

Have a great weekend folks

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 3

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Why even follow any of this offseason sh*t if you can’t get excited about any of it?

You might as well just completely turn away from football between February and September.

I don’t see anyone seriously proclaiming that the Jets are going to be a Super Bowl contender this year. I think most of us fully expect a season ending with 5-8 wins.

But that doesn’t mean that you can’t feel excited about this season and beyond.

There are legitimately people here that expect the Jets to be world beaters right out of the gate. Oh, we have Moore, he is going to get other guys open just by stepping on the field. 

Really, someone wrote that after he was drafted. 

• Upvote 2

There are legitimately people here that expect the Jets to be world beaters right out of the gate. Oh, we have Moore, he is going to get other guys open just by stepping on the field. 
Really, someone wrote that after he was drafted. 
These lead up months to September are unbearable

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Of all the times a little overzealous fan hype/hope was appropriate, maybe even needed, now might be it.

Relax, enjoy yourselves, and dump the loser mentality.  There is no reason whatsoever the 2021 Jets can't be competitive. 

Making excuses in advance doesn't actually excuse them if they suck.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Cue the tribe of Zach Wilson . . . .      

Hi, ambassador of the Zach Wilson tribe here!

Would just like to confirm we found nothing wrong with this, as we are not triggered cry baby asshats around here and understand Wilson isn’t a sure thing months before he takes his first snap. We’re reasonable folk aside from our tribal habits.

• Haha 4