A Look at Jets Draft Pick Alijah Vera-Tucker

28 minutes ago, jetsons said:

EXACTLY... What JD was Most Likely envisioning at the thought of drafting Vera-Tucker & partnering him with Mechi.

5 Best Oakland Raiders of All Time

And apparently they both like to play with a nasty mean streak. A match made in heaven (or hell if you as the opposing D). Hopefully in a couple of years Becton and Vera-Tucker will sound as natural as Shell and Upshaw.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OCCH23 said:

A fastball hitter would rather have one shot at a fastball than three shots at a curveball.  Sure he's gonna miss the fastball at times, but he's still giving himself the best shot at success.

If JD was "that sure" about AVT, then he HAS to do it, regardless of how things ultimately pan out . . .

Love the analogy.  Good fit.  

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Keep in mind that it's likely they took Moore with 23 and Carter with 3A.  So they got the players they would've taken anyway.

They lost nothing and added the premium player they lusted after.   

I’m with you on Moore. I’m skeptical on Carter. I’m sure he’s a good pick. But those 2 round 3 picks would have been nice. 

I listen to Sirius NFL radio. They drag in all the GMs to discuss they’re picks. And golly gee, every one of them found picks that were graded above their draft slot.

You gotta take the hype with a grain of salt 

Just now, Dcat said:

Well Joe Douglas apparently had AVT ranked way higher than any of us here as far as Olinemen.  JD sees value for the Jets in that trade while we messageboard fans see loss of value.   If Joe Douglas sees a mountain of difference between the value of AVT and other Guards or RTs. i.e. Jenkins...  then I'll respect that over draft chart value fanatics such as myself at times.

I'm not pretending to know better, just really wanting to point out that, "we traded a third and swapped a third for a fourth," is an extremely disingenuous way to characterize the trade. He gave up a lot, and missed more than two full rounds in the meat of the draft as a result. 

• WTF? 1

On 5/17/2021 at 10:35 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

People keep forgetting that part of AVT's value is the fact that we were taking the best G in the draft and putting him shoulder to shoulder with Becton. Those two guys next to each other are worth more than each on their own. The tandem amounts to a force multiplier. Not only will they wreak havoc on the left side, but even when you run right, I guarantee they clean up the back side so dominantly that the Jets RBs start looking for the cut back lane just as often as they run to the designated hole. 

Alone they are difficult for a D to deal with. Together, they are impossible to stop. The opportunity to create such a dominant T G combination does not often present itself. So, when it does, a smart GM pounces on it. 

excellent point.  it's still a team game and the oline needs to mesh together to be effective.

On 5/17/2021 at 8:09 PM, slats said:

I'm not pretending to know better, just really wanting to point out that, "we traded a third and swapped a third for a fourth," is an extremely disingenuous way to characterize the trade. He gave up a lot, and missed more than two full rounds in the meat of the draft as a result. 

I disagree slats.

In the end, we gave up a high 3rd (yes, a valuable pick) and moved back from the mid 3rd round to the late 4th round (which we later traded back from) with the other pick. Yes, we had to sit and wait from pick 34 to 107 (torture for fans), but JD had the opportunity to trade down from 34 to recoup one of those picks but felt Moore was too good of a value to pass there vs another 3rd round pick. And if you believe JD when he says they were targeting Carter at pick 86, I'd say it worked out.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I disagree slats.

In the end, we gave up a high 3rd (yes, a valuable pick) and moved back from the mid 3rd round to the late 4th round (which we later traded back from) with the other pick. Yes, we had to sit and wait from pick 34 to 107 (torture for fans), but JD had the opportunity to trade down from 34 to recoup one of those picks but felt Moore was too good of a value to pass there vs another 3rd round pick. And if you believe JD when he says they were targeting Carter at pick 86, I'd say it worked out.

JD said they were targeting Moore at #23 as well.  Targeting Carter at #86.

While I believe that JD was very interested in both players, I have to believe that there were other players the Jets were also interested in as well at #23, #34 and #86.  I do think that the Jets got lucky with both players where we got them, since Moore should have been gone by 34 and Carter should have been gone by 107.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Alka said:

JD said they were targeting Moore at #23 as well.  Targeting Carter at #86.

While I believe that JD was very interested in both players, I have to believe that there were other players the Jets were also interested in as well at #23, #34 and #86.  I do think that the Jets got lucky with both players where we got them, since Moore should have been gone by 34 and Carter should have been gone by 107.

There were rumors he was trying to trade up for Moore at bottom of the first so I think Moore at 23 might be true. They say they had Carter as the #2 RB so that could have been true as well. Regardless the first 4 picks seem to be as good as anyone could hope for.

• Upvote 1