These young Jets have the most to prove at OTAs

La’Mical Perine among Jets with most to prove at OTAs (nypost.com)

May 16, 2021 | 6:39pm | Updated

The Jets begin on-field instruction this week as they enter Phase Two of their offseason program. And with the on-field coaching begins the real evaluation for the new coaching staff, and there are plenty of young players with something to prove to their new coaches.

The coaches can begin drills this week with the team. Organized team activity practices begin next week, when more traditional work begins. Jets general manager Joe Douglas added a lot of new pieces to the roster this offseason, but there are some returning players who have something to prove this spring and then in training camp.

Players such as Mekhi Becton and Denzel Mims are penciled in as starters right now, but these young players will be fighting for playing time:

La’Mical Perine, RB

The 2020 fourth-round pick had a hard time staying on the field last year. Hamstring injuries slowed him down, and then a bout with COVID-19 cost him the final game of the season. He had 64 rushes for 232 yards and two touchdowns in 10 games as a rookie. The Jets drafted Michael Carter in the fourth round this year and signed Tevin Coleman as a free agent. Perine is going to have to fight for a role in the backfield.

Ashtyn Davis, S

Davis made six starts as a rookie, but did not make much of an impact. He had a tough time in coverage and looked slow getting off blocks at times. The Jets signed Lamarcus Joyner in free agency, and the plan is to play Joyner as the deep safety and Marcus Maye in the box. Davis has value as a special teams player, but a third-round pick should have a bigger role on defense in his second season. Davis needs to have a good offseason.

Cameron Clark, OL

The Jets likely will be looking for someone to emerge as the team’s right guard. Clark has a chance there if he can win over his new coaches. Injuries slowed his progress as a rookie, and he did not play in a game last year. The Jets drafted Alijah Vera-Tucker to play left guard, but right guard feels like a competition between Clark, Greg Van Roten, Alex Lewis and Dan Feeney.

Blake Cashman, LB

A fifth-round pick in 2019, Cashman has played just 11 games in two seasons and has been unable to stay on the field. He needs to prove he can stay healthy, which would give him a chance to be the weakside linebacker. As the Jets move to a 4-3 alignment, they have a hole at the position. Cashman will have to fight off rookies Jamien Sherwood and Hamsah Nasirildeen to win the job.

Jabari Zuniga, DE

Zuniga played in eight games as a rookie, but made very little impact. The third-round pick will have a chance, as the Jets search for a someone to play opposite Carl Lawson.

Javelin Guidry, CB

An undrafted free agent, Guidry made two starts and played in 11 games. Guidry made some plays from the slot corner position, forcing four fumbles. The Jets drafted Michael Carter II with the idea he could play slot corner or safety, but Guidry could lock down the nickel corner role with a solid spring and summer.

Bryce Hall, CB

The Jets seem sold on Hall and have not signed any veteran cornerbacks yet. If the roster remains as is, Hall will start along with Bless Austin. Still, Hall played only eight games last year. He had some good moments (a pick against the Rams) and some bad ones in which he looked like a rookie who was still learning. Hall appears to be on his way to being the starter, but if he stumbles in the spring, the Jets may decide to sign a veteran before training camp.

image.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Guidry played way way better than expected and really excelled in zone. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think I might replace Guidry with Bless as he is not really that great a fit for this defensive scheme. Hall is almost a mortal lock. Barring injury he was a 1st round CB. Also would include Lamar Jackson on the list. I could definitely see the core starters being Hall, Guidry and MC2. Davis and Perrine could be surprise cuts.

• Upvote 3

Seems like this is pretty much a filler piece. I certainly don’t disagree with any of the assertions.  I have a hard time thinking Douglas’ last year draft picks aren’t going to be on the team.  They may get pushed but so what. The jets need to field the best players.

46 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Seems like this is pretty much a filler piece. I certainly don’t disagree with any of the assertions.  I have a hard time thinking Douglas’ last year draft picks aren’t going to be on the team.  They may get pushed but so what. The jets need to field the best players.

Perine, Davis, and Zuniga are all probably on something of a hot seat, as all of their positions were addressed in free agency and then RB and S were addressed again in the draft. Davis and Zuniga tested great, and hopefully find themselves in their second years in this defense. Davis would seem like a great fit in the centerfield position where they plan to play Joyner, and Zuniga should definitely benefit by getting his hand back on the ground and focusing simply on getting to the QB. But they have to show that. Perine did not test great, and two RBs were added this offseason that both figure to make the roster. I'd like to see him step up but, if he doesn't, he could find himself as JD's first draft pick to get cut. 

Clark has that versatility that, as long as he's coming along, probably renders him safe. Cashman might already be just about out. 

• Upvote 2

Don't forget CJ Mosley. He may not be young or a second year player or even involved in OTA's, but he hasn't played a snap in two seasons. We don't know if he can play anymore or if he'll ever mesh with Saleh or if he's capable of playing in a 4-3. IMO, that's far more important than any second year player. With all the players mentioned, it all boils down to nothing ventured nothing gained. In reference to Mosley he's the highest paid player on this team and he's a big question mark....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Perine, Davis, and Zuniga are all probably on something of a hot seat, as all of their positions were addressed in free agency and then RB and S were addressed again in the draft. Davis and Zuniga tested great, and hopefully find themselves in their second years in this defense. Davis would seem like a great fit in the centerfield position where they plan to play Joyner, and Zuniga should definitely benefit by getting his hand back on the ground and focusing simply on getting to the QB. But they have to show that. Perine did not test great, and two RBs were added this offseason that both figure to make the roster. I'd like to see him step up but, if he doesn't, he could find himself as JD's first draft pick to get cut. 

Clark has that versatility that, as long as he's coming along, probably renders him safe. Cashman might already be just about out. 

The word is Competition. This is a good problem to have as we need to light some fire under guys asses.

Simply stated I think JD is doing this the right way. The Jets are actually doing it the right way for a change!? Lol. Normally this time of year I'm psyched but for some reason this year I feel like I'm in a little bit of quicksand. There has been so much change, so much turnover I have no idea what to expect.

I think for the first time in a long time these guys are actually going to get an equal opportunity to prove themselves. I also think Saleh is going to move defensive guys to different positions to acclimate his 4-3 scheme.

Anyway it is very exciting that we have no idea what this team is going to look like. The most important thing is our new QB doesn't sound like a robot when he's answering questions. The kid can actually think on his feet and he's engaging. Dare I say that he gives me hope? Lol!!

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

do we have any OTA coverage this week?

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

When are OTAs?  This article says this week, but I saw another that said Giants start OTAs this week, Jets start OTAs next Monday the 24th.

Found it....per NFL communications, Jets don't hit the field again until next week:

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL-Offseason-Workout-Program-Dates-Announced--------.aspx

NEW YORK JETS        OTA Offseason Workouts:         May 24, May 26-27, June 1, June 3-4, June 7-8, June 10-11
                                    Mandatory Minicamp:                June 15-17
                                    Rookie Minicamp:                      May 7-9

• Upvote 1

Cashman should be cut; he can't stay healthy, and I fear that if he is on the roster, then early on he will get another season-ending injury.  

Zuniga was a huge disappointment last year, and unless he impresses the coaches, he should be cut this year as well.

Perrine to me is a bubble-player.  I feel that if Carter is as good as advertised, and the two young guns we had last year continue to impress, and the new guy we signed in free agency is what we expect then Perrine might be the odd man out.  He will need to prove himself if he is going to get a roster spot.

Hall should be taken off of this list; he is a cinch to make the team.

Cameron Clarke is such a huge question mark to me, I can't even give an opinion on him.  I just hope that the Jets didn't waste a 4th round pick on him last year.  

Ashton Davis will make this team.  I am confident of that.  If he can stay healthy this year, then I feel that he will grow into his role in the safety position.  I believe that he is one of the best athletes on the team.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

Chuma Edoga comes to mind as well!  He may surely get cut if he doesn't blow the staff away tackle depth be damned 

Edoga was a 3rd round pick who had question marks the day we drafted him.  The knock on him was that he had pro-bowl ability, but was lazy at times. 

Well, he has never shown any pro bowl ability, and he hasn't seemed to get better over time.

I won't mind if the Jets cut him.  But the Jets need depth, and I don't know if the Jets can afford to cut him.

3 hours ago, slats said:

yep, those guys need to step it up.  of course last season was such a mess it's hard to blame the player 100% for the lack of production or impact.  It could be that this season will be their actual first season in the nfl.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Alka said:

Cashman should be cut; he can't stay healthy, and I fear that if he is on the roster, then early on he will get another season-ending injury.  

Why would you cut a guy because you think he is going to get injured?  Just wring what you can out of him until he gets hurt.  He will probably cost more to cut than keep, so ride him until he breaks and next man up.  You don't cut these guys, you just don't give them a second contract. 

17 hours ago, jetsons said:

La’Mical Perine among Jets with most to prove at OTAs (nypost.com)

May 16, 2021 | 6:39pm | Updated

The Jets begin on-field instruction this week as they enter Phase Two of their offseason program. And with the on-field coaching begins the real evaluation for the new coaching staff, and there are plenty of young players with something to prove to their new coaches.

The coaches can begin drills this week with the team. Organized team activity practices begin next week, when more traditional work begins. Jets general manager Joe Douglas added a lot of new pieces to the roster this offseason, but there are some returning players who have something to prove this spring and then in training camp.

Players such as Mekhi Becton and Denzel Mims are penciled in as starters right now, but these young players will be fighting for playing time:

La’Mical Perine, RB

The 2020 fourth-round pick had a hard time staying on the field last year. Hamstring injuries slowed him down, and then a bout with COVID-19 cost him the final game of the season. He had 64 rushes for 232 yards and two touchdowns in 10 games as a rookie. The Jets drafted Michael Carter in the fourth round this year and signed Tevin Coleman as a free agent. Perine is going to have to fight for a role in the backfield.

Ashtyn Davis, S

Davis made six starts as a rookie, but did not make much of an impact. He had a tough time in coverage and looked slow getting off blocks at times. The Jets signed Lamarcus Joyner in free agency, and the plan is to play Joyner as the deep safety and Marcus Maye in the box. Davis has value as a special teams player, but a third-round pick should have a bigger role on defense in his second season. Davis needs to have a good offseason.

Cameron Clark, OL

The Jets likely will be looking for someone to emerge as the team’s right guard. Clark has a chance there if he can win over his new coaches. Injuries slowed his progress as a rookie, and he did not play in a game last year. The Jets drafted Alijah Vera-Tucker to play left guard, but right guard feels like a competition between Clark, Greg Van Roten, Alex Lewis and Dan Feeney.

Blake Cashman, LB

A fifth-round pick in 2019, Cashman has played just 11 games in two seasons and has been unable to stay on the field. He needs to prove he can stay healthy, which would give him a chance to be the weakside linebacker. As the Jets move to a 4-3 alignment, they have a hole at the position. Cashman will have to fight off rookies Jamien Sherwood and Hamsah Nasirildeen to win the job.

Jabari Zuniga, DE

Zuniga played in eight games as a rookie, but made very little impact. The third-round pick will have a chance, as the Jets search for a someone to play opposite Carl Lawson.

Javelin Guidry, CB

An undrafted free agent, Guidry made two starts and played in 11 games. Guidry made some plays from the slot corner position, forcing four fumbles. The Jets drafted Michael Carter II with the idea he could play slot corner or safety, but Guidry could lock down the nickel corner role with a solid spring and summer.

Bryce Hall, CB

The Jets seem sold on Hall and have not signed any veteran cornerbacks yet. If the roster remains as is, Hall will start along with Bless Austin. Still, Hall played only eight games last year. He had some good moments (a pick against the Rams) and some bad ones in which he looked like a rookie who was still learning. Hall appears to be on his way to being the starter, but if he stumbles in the spring, the Jets may decide to sign a veteran before training camp.

image.gif

i think the gyes have to show out as speachley the new QB G  

18 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Guidry played way way better than expected and really excelled in zone. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think I might replace Guidry with Bless as he is not really that great a fit for this defensive scheme. Hall is almost a mortal lock. Barring injury he was a 1st round CB. Also would include Lamar Jackson on the list. I could definitely see the core starters being Hall, Guidry and MC2. Davis and Perrine could be surprise cuts.

That's not Ashtyn Davis you're referring to? He was a 3rd round draft choice. There's NO way he gets cut after training camp. No way....

Sure those guys are on the hot but they aren’t alone. Unlike last year, the Jets will have to cut some NFL capable players.

It is too soon to be pessimistic about last year’s picks. They got no real training camp last year. And it’s generally agreed that players take the biggest jump between years 1 and 2.  We need to see how they do in camp.

I think the Jets issues this year will not be about lack of talent so much as lack of experience and cohesion. Lots of new coaches and players. It just takes time. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 5/17/2021 at 11:54 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Why would you cut a guy because you think he is going to get injured?  Just wring what you can out of him until he gets hurt.  He will probably cost more to cut than keep, so ride him until he breaks and next man up.  You don't cut these guys, you just don't give them a second contract. 

I said in a post before last season that I felt that Cashman should have been cut last year.  Unfortunately, I was right, and he got hurt.  I think he is fragile, and linebacker is not a good spot for a fragile player.

Roster spots are valuable, and I would prefer the Jets to give a roster spot to a guy who can stay on the field and help out the team.  

12 hours ago, Alka said:

I said in a post before last season that I felt that Cashman should have been cut last year.  Unfortunately, I was right, and he got hurt.  I think he is fragile, and linebacker is not a good spot for a fragile player.

Roster spots are valuable, and I would prefer the Jets to give a roster spot to a guy who can stay on the field and help out the team.  

That's fine.  I strongly disagree.  Especially last year with the rosters expanded and more slots available.  I get that the Jets did not get many snaps out of Cashman last year, but I bet there are at least 3 LBs they carried at points last year you can't name.  Did Noah Dawkins, Brady Shelton, Bryce Hagar and Sharif FInch add so much that the idea of carrying a guy that started 25% of the games in 2019 was a mistake?  When Cashman is hurt he probably isn't even taking a roster spot.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

That's fine.  I strongly disagree.  Especially last year with the rosters expanded and more slots available.  I get that the Jets did not get many snaps out of Cashman last year, but I bet there are at least 3 LBs they carried at points last year you can't name.  Did Noah Dawkins, Brady Shelton, Bryce Hagar and Sharif FInch add so much that the idea of carrying a guy that started 25% of the games in 2019 was a mistake?  When Cashman is hurt he probably isn't even taking a roster spot.

We will find out this year who is right or wrong. If Cashman makes the team, we will see how many games he plays.  If he gets cut, then the Jets see what I see.  

Let's make a gentleman's bet on Cashman.  Assuming he makes the team, I say that he is out of the lineup due to injury at least 9 games this year. That would mean that he only plays in 8 games.  

I hope that he is healthy enough to at least last 8 games. lol

8 minutes ago, Alka said:

We will find out this year who is right or wrong. If Cashman makes the team, we will see how many games he plays.  If he gets cut, then the Jets see what I see.  

Let's make a gentleman's bet on Cashman.  Assuming he makes the team, I say that he is out of the lineup due to injury at least 9 games this year. That would mean that he only plays in 8 games.  

I hope that he is healthy enough to at least last 8 games. lol

What kind of bet is that?  Did I ever say he wasn't an injury prone dude?  What I said was that they shouldn't cut him just cause he is injury prone.  He gets hurt.  I don't care.  He is a bottom of the roster guy competing with guys like Milo Eifert.  If those guys outplay him, fine, cut him.  If not play him until he gets hurt or there is someone better on the roster.  I certainly hope there are better options, but Onwuasor got hurt first if you'll remember.  Mosley got hurt first in 2019 and opted out in 2020.  Until you know there is a better option, you don't cut cheap guys for being injury prone.  It is often how you find gems.  Would you have been in favor of cutting Bob Sanders? 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

What kind of bet is that?  Did I ever say he wasn't an injury prone dude?  What I said was that they shouldn't cut him just cause he is injury prone.  He gets hurt.  I don't care.  He is a bottom of the roster guy competing with guys like Milo Eifert.  If those guys outplay him, fine, cut him.  If not play him until he gets hurt or there is someone better on the roster.  I certainly hope there are better options, but Onwuasor got hurt first if you'll remember.  Mosley got hurt first in 2019 and opted out in 2020.  Until you know there is a better option, you don't cut cheap guys for being injury prone.  It is often how you find gems.  Would you have been in favor of cutting Bob Sanders? 

I suppose it comes down to how often and how long a player is injured.  How long did the Jets keep Milliner?  I don't believe he played out his rookie contract, and where is he now? Milliner was exceptionally talented, but couldn't stay on the field.

I get that he is cheap, and keeping cheap players makes sense when they are healthy enough to play, assuming they are good enough to start, but I think we will just agree to disagree.

Remember, CJ Mosley was a stud in not missing any games until his major injury 2 years ago.  

Why do quality players drop in the draft?  Of course, they drop for a variety of reasons, but injuries are one huge reason why a player will drop.

And why are those players drafted still in the later rounds?  Because the team that drafts them is hopeful that these injury prone players will somehow not get injured, and that their prior injuries are behind them.  Cashman is a player that I feel will continue to get injured, and miss significant time.

Players like Cashman deserve to get cut.  Maybe Cashman's injuries are behind him, and he will end up having a solid career with the Jets.

My money says he will get injured, miss significant time, and sooner or later will cut from the roster for that simple reason.

So.....pretty much the entire 2020 Draft Class then?

Surprised Mims isn't on the list. We like to hype him here, but he has proven absolutely nothing as yet. 

He has ALOT to prove in 2021, like 70+ catches, 1,000+ Yards, 8+ TD's type prove.

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So.....pretty much the entire 2020 Draft Class then?

Surprised Mims isn't on the list. We like to hype him here, but he has proven absolutely nothing as yet. 

He has ALOT to prove in 2021, like 70+ catches, 1,000+ Yards, 8+ TD's type prove.

Agree on Mims. Lot to prove. Athletically, he is there. A taller Chris Godwin.

Can he translate that onto the field? Going out on a limb and saying I believe he will with competent-or-better QB play. A ding on Mims coming out of school was his 11% drop rate in college. He only dropped 1 ball in 2020 (granted small sample size) and Sam isn't exactly known for his ball placement.