Poll: Jets "Skill Position" players on 2021 Opening Day Roster?

Skill Position Players  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which Running Backs will be on the Opening Day Roster? - Please Select 4 players from the List Below

• 23 - Tevin Coleman 6'1" 210 Indiana
    • x - Michael Carter 5'8" 201 North Carolina
    • 22 - La'Michael Perine 5'11" 216 Florida
    • 25 - Ty Johnson 5'10" 210 Maryland
    • 36 - Josh Adams 6'2" 213 Notre Dame
    • x - Austin Walter 5'8" 203 Rice
    • Someone not currently on the roster
  2. 2. Which Wide Receivers will be on the Opening Day Roster? - Please Select 6 players from the List Below

• 84 - Corey Davis 6'3" 209 Western Michigan
    • 88 - Keelan Cole 6'1" 194 Kentucky Wesleyan
    • 82 - Jamison Crowder 5'9" 177 Duke
    • 11 - Denzel Mims 6'3" 207 Baylor
    • 8 - Elijah Moore 5'10" 178 Mississippi
    • 10 - Braxton Berrios 5'9" 190 Miami (FL)
    • 17 - Vyncint Smith 6'3" 202 Limestone
    • 16 - Jeff Smith 6'0" 195 Boston College
    • 15 - Lawrence Cager 6'5" 215 UGA
    • 83 - Josh Malone 6'3" 208 Tennessee
    • 14 - DJ Montgomery 6'1" 201 Austin Peay
    • xx - Manasseh Bailey 6'1" 195 Morgan State
    • 19 - Matt Cole 5'10" 197 McKendree
  3. 3. Which Tight Ends / H Backs will be on the Opening Day Roster? - Please Select 4 players from the List Below

• 89 - Chris Herndon 6'4" 253 Miami
    • 86 - Ryan Griffin 6'6" 255 UCONN
    • 87 - Daniel Brown 6'5" 243 James Madison
    • 85 - Trevon Wesco 6'3" 267 West Virginia
    • 81 - Tyler Kroft 6'6" 252 Rutgers
    • x - Kenny Yeboah 6'4" 250 Mississippi

Love the quotes around “skill” lol.

However I believe the lack of perceived skill on the 2020 squad was due to the worst QB/HC combo in modern NFL history. This offense will surprise people if Wilson is at or above the Dalton-line.

Our defense though... scary (to Jets fans, not opponents).

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Love the quotes around “skill” lol.

However I believe the lack of perceived skill on the 2020 squad was due to the worst QB/HC combo in modern NFL history. This offense will surprise people if Wilson is at or above the Dalton-line.

Our defense though... scary (to Jets fans, not opponents).

Ehh, I dunno. Perhaps we can have okay WRs, but I would've liked to have pursued another in FA or in a trade. We don't truly have a #1 WR, and our #2 is kinda lackluster, regardless of who it ends up being. 

• Thumb Down 1

Think most folks are generally in agreement.

The outliers could be Perine (albeit doubtful he's cut, most GM's don't cut bait at this point), and which bad WR gets to be the #6, Berrios or Smith (or lolCager, the UDFA love runs deep in this fanbase).  Herndon, Griffin and Wesco are pretty sure things for opening day, sans any injuries.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Ehh, I dunno. Perhaps we can have okay WRs, but I would've liked to have pursued another in FA or in a trade. We don't truly have a #1 WR, and our #2 is kinda lackluster, regardless of who it ends up being. 

It's the most talented WR group with the highest potential we've had in literally a decade+.

You're right, we don't today have a clear-cut game-changer #1 WR.  Said that myself.

But we have depth and alot of legit #2-level talent, a couple of whom have #1 potential.

Supporting Wilson at WR is a non-issue going to 2021.    This is a good group who should be good on the field.

• Upvote 2

This is a really good poll which helps us focus on the issues with the Roster:

• RB:
    • I picked: Coleman (experienced, big), Carter, Perine (young, draft pick), Ty Johnson.
    • If Josh Adams could beat out an aging Coleman (guarantee $300K), that would be good.
  • WR:
    • I picked (obvious ones)-Davis, Cole, Mims, More, (less obvious) Crowder (he is much, much better than the other options and V. Smith (could also be Cager or another one.
    • I don't see how you keep Berrios for Crowder.  
  • TE
    • I picked Herndon, Griffin, Wesco (if he could block), Yeboah (hope).
    • Could see Brown over Griffin or Kroft over Wesco.

Overall a big improvement from last year but still weak units.   i really don't see how you can get rid of guys like Perine, Crowder or Herndon this year.  

• Upvote 1

i can't see them keeping berrios if they keep crowder.  that's too many sub 6' receivers.  i think griffen and brown will be out at te.  they're both a bit old and griffen didn't come back very well from his injury.  as for running back, i can see adams being the odd man out.

• Upvote 1

You guys are all sleeping on Matt Cole, who should have a legit chance to stick as the #6 WR.

Impressive athlete, great kick and punt returner in college, excellent cover guy on specials.

Jets are serious about improving on STs this year, the coaches know him and the Jets claimed him from waivers for a reason.

Sleeper to stick, I think.

• Upvote 2

While I voted as per the instructions.  It is not how I envision final cuts.  If you try this exercise against the entire roster, you find that final cuts are going to be a monster.  We have more than 52 players and there is no way we can sort the defense in a single training camp.  As things stand, just to keep all the defensive draft picks we would have to cut all the free agents and I do not think that is going to happen.  Guys like Isaiah Dunn and Hamelcar Rashid are unlikely cuts.  Truly. 

I suspect that the Jets will keep three running backs and stash a waiver survivor on the practice squad. 

I think those backs will be Carter, Coleman and Perine.  We will cut Johnson and Adams and stash the survivor.  Probably Adams.  I like Johnson, but think he will get claimed.

I suspect we will cut Crowder and keep five wide receivers with waiver survivors on the practice squad. 

I think those WRs will be Davis, Mims, Moore, Cole and one of the Smiths.  It could be either Smith imo.  There will be survivors on the practice squad including Cager.  We will keep Cager if he shows he can block effectively.  That way he is a viable backup for Davis and Mims on the outside for certain plays and in some formations.

I suspect we will keep four tight ends both because they are a staple of the LaFleur offense and because I believe Yeboah will force our hand. 

I think those TEs will be Herndon, Kroft, Brown and Yeboah. 

PS - I noted that many of us cut Brown.  I sincerely doubt that will happen.  He is a core special teams player and is good at it.  Moreover, when injuries opened up an opportunity last season, it was Brown in the two-tight end sets.  Like with McDermott on the offensive line, who got regular season snaps is actually important as it reveals team thinking.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Trevon Wesco will only make it if he proves he can effectively play FB in the new O system.

That's my thought as well but he can increase his chances even more if he can play ST as well.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, PCP63 said:

If Mims and Chris Godwin switched teams it would be like Freaky Friday up in here

Crowder gets cut.

Cole and Davis didn't sign here to be the 3 or 4 WR. and you don't want to keep Mims as your 4. he will never get to play if there are no injuries. and we need to see what he is.

sorry this isn't Madden. you don't keep 4 top WRs. JD will do right by Crowder and cut him so he can play somewhere else.... and save 10 mil.

RB.... we signed Coleman and drafted Carter. so they stay. then its Johnson and Adams over Perrine. they all got limited time but Johnson and Adams played much better. if that continues in camp i cant see them keeping Perrine just because he was a draft pick last year. he was a #4 not a 1 or a 2. he could very easily get cut. 

i hope JD isn't the guy who holds on to draft picks because he drafted them. if there not cutting it then identify it early and get rid of them.

Fortune favors the bold

3 hours ago, doitny said:

Crowder gets cut.

Cole and Davis didn't sign here to be the 3 or 4 WR. and you don't want to keep Mims as your 4. he will never get to play if there are no injuries. and we need to see what he is.

sorry this isn't Madden. you don't keep 4 top WRs. JD will do right by Crowder and cut him so he can play somewhere else.... and save 10 mil.

RB.... we signed Coleman and drafted Carter. so they stay. then its Johnson and Adams over Perrine. they all got limited time but Johnson and Adams played much better. if that continues in camp i cant see them keeping Perrine just because he was a draft pick last year. he was a #4 not a 1 or a 2. he could very easily get cut. 

i hope JD isn't the guy who holds on to draft picks because he drafted them. if there not cutting it then identify it early and get rid of them.

Fortune favors the bold

Cut the most reliable pass catcher on the team when breaking in a new QB. Brilliant!

The first square of the Wilson Excuse Twister Mat — filled!

• Haha 1

Practice squad expansion is going to help the Jets a lot, as they can stash some of these guys there instead of losing them outright. Here are my expectations (no particular order) 

RBs: 

1. Tevin Coleman
  2. Ty Johnson
  3. La'Mical Perine 
  4. Michael Carter 

WRs: 

1. Corey Davis 
  2. Jamison Crowder 
  3. Denzel Mims 
  4. Elijah Moore 
  5. Keelan Cole 
  6. Braxton Berrios 

TEs: 

1. Chris Herndon 
  2. Tyler Kroft 
  3. Kenny Yeboah 
  4. FREE AGENT/TRADE ACQUISITION

Practice Squad:

• Josh Adams (RB) 
  • Austin Walter (RB) 
  • Vyncint Smith (WR) 
  • Jeff Smith (WR) 
  • Matt Cole (WR) 
  • Daniel Brown (TE) 
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, football guy said:

Practice Squad:

• Josh Adams (RB) 
  • Austin Walter (RB) 
  • Vyncint Smith (WR) 
  • Jeff Smith (WR) 
  • Matt Cole (WR) 
  • Daniel Brown (TE) 

To add to this, I expect the PS to be heavy on offensive guys. Of the 12 players, wouldn't surprise me if 7-8 are on the offensive side of the ball. I'd expect they'll have at least 1 QB, 1 OL, 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 CB, but the rest could very well be skill-players. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

To add to this, I expect the PS to be heavy on offensive guys. Of the 12 players, wouldn't surprise me if 7-8 are on the offensive side of the ball. I'd expect they'll have at least 1 QB, 1 OL, 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 CB, but the rest could very well be skill-players. 

Really? So you expect most of the six defensive players they drafted to make the roster? Or is that your 1 CB, 1 LB? 

Just seems to me that they’d want some developmental guys for that sketchy back seven. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, slats said:

Really? So you expect most of the six defensive players they drafted to make the roster? Or is that your 1 CB, 1 LB? 

Just seems to me that they’d want some developmental guys for that sketchy back seven. 

I expect most if not all of the 6 defensive players they drafted to make the roster. If one doesn't, they'll be on the practice squad

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Practice squad expansion is going to help the Jets a lot, as they can stash some of these guys there instead of losing them outright. Here are my expectations (no particular order) 

RBs: 

1. Tevin Coleman
  2. Ty Johnson
  3. La'Mical Perine 
  4. Michael Carter 

WRs: 

1. Corey Davis 
  2. Jamison Crowder 
  3. Denzel Mims 
  4. Elijah Moore 
  5. Keelan Cole 
  6. Braxton Berrios 

TEs: 

1. Chris Herndon 
  2. Tyler Kroft 
  3. Kenny Yeboah 
  4. FREE AGENT/TRADE ACQUISITION

Practice Squad:

• Josh Adams (RB) 
  • Austin Walter (RB) 
  • Vyncint Smith (WR) 
  • Jeff Smith (WR) 
  • Matt Cole (WR) 
  • Daniel Brown (TE) 

You expect Crowder stay and Wesco to get cut?

12 hours ago, Icer said:

It makes no sense to cut Crowder to save pennies on the dollar when you know the WR group is traditionally as fragile as Blake Cashman

its not about money. there no room for 4 top guys. its someone is hurt then yes he stays, but if all are healthy leaving Preseason then he goes. of course saving a few bucks doesn't hurt when you consider that after the final cuts there might be some good guys out there at some defensive positions we didn't fill in the draft that might cost some money

17 hours ago, jgb said:

Cut the most reliable pass catcher on the team when breaking in a new QB. Brilliant!

The first square of the Wilson Excuse Twister Mat — filled!

so whos gets to be #4? Mims? the 4th WR gets little to no playing time. i guess Mims could be 4 but that would stunt his development. 

Cole and Davis are pretty reliable pass catchers.