interesting Hoge tidbits

1229500087-2.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
May 16, 2021 8:00 am

Zach Wilson wasn’t the only BYU product the Jets picked up during draft weekend.

The team also signed one of Wilson’s offensive lineman, Tristen Hoge, as an undrafted free agent. Hoge started his college career at Notre Dame (2015-2016). He then sat out in 2017 and transferred to BYU, where he finished his career from 2018-2020. Hoge played six career games at Notre Dame and 25 at BYU.

Wilson would probably like it if his college teammate made the Jets’ 53-man roster, but Hoge is not guaranteed a spot. He’ll need to have a strong showing in training camp to make the team.

With that said, let’s take a look at four things to know about the offensive lineman.

COVID-19

1229500043.jpg

(Photo by Loren Orr/Getty Images)

Hoge tested positive for COVID-19 in September. He had flu-like symptoms and lost his sense of taste and smell. In an interview with The Salt Lake Tribune’s Norma Gonzalez, Hoge said he tried multiple things to see if he could taste or smell anything. He had no luck.

“I tried straight lemon juice — I couldn’t get a taste,” Hoge said. “I knew it was sour, but I wasn’t tasting it. I tried straight Tabasco, and that did nothing to me. It wasn’t even that spicy to me. I tried smelling garlic, all the strongest smells — even horseradish — nothing. It wasn’t registering. I knew how it should smell, but it wasn’t coming through.”

Pneumonia

1292662523.jpg

(Photo by Mark Brown/Getty Images)

Hoge contracted pneumonia after he got over COVID-19.

He returned for his first practice after getting through COVID-19, but he still didn’t feel right. Hoge had difficulty breathing throughout the practice and decided to get checked out.

“They took me to the doctor right after practice, got me an X-ray, and it looked like a spider had weaved a home in my lungs with all the pneumonic fluid that was all over my lungs,” Hoge told The Salt Lake Tribune. “That sent me into another thing of now having to fight pneumonia right after [contracting COVID-19]. I was like, ‘man, will it ever end?'”

Hoge missed four games in 2020 as a result of both illnesses.

Football family

80f2f6a08cd9411b95184de659bc61f1.jpg

(AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)

Hoge isn’t the only person in his family to play football.

Hoge’s uncle is former Steelers running back Merrill Hoge, who played seven years in Pittsburgh and one year in Chicago. Merril had 3,139 career rushing yards and 21 rushing touchdowns. He also had 2,133 receiving yards and 13 receiving touchdowns.

Hoge’s cousin is former BYU quarterback Beau Hoge, who was at the school from 2015-2018.

Scholarship offers

f83acedf8b3c437b9cb493c468a4aa68.jpg

(AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)

Hoge garnered a lot of interest coming out of Highland High School.

He was rated as the No. 1 center in the country and received offers from some of the best college football schools in the country. Hoge was recruited by Penn State, UCLA, Florida, USC, Stanford, North Carolina, Michigan State, Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Florida State and Utah.

He ultimately chose to play at Notre Dame before making his way to BYU.

0c6c38f92cef48d2b91ce11a3b6c670f-e162111

I like the crop if UDFA OL the Jets added. I there's a real chance one of them can surprise and develop into a starting-caliber player at RG. 

The guy who intrigues me most is Teton Saltes. He didn't start playing football until his junior year of high school, and was a defensive lineman until he got to college. Switched to OL his RS-freshman season. The difference between he and the rest is the athletic potential... Saltes is freaky athletic. He was a tackle in college but this scheme values guys who can reach block laterally at the RG spot, so I can easily see him sliding into that role. Might take a year of development but would not shock me if he were a future starter. 

Hoge is more limited, but he is a good enough athlete to be an NFL player and has the right mentality to stick around. I wouldn't be surprised if he made the shift to center. 

• Upvote 3

"Hoge garnered a lot of interest coming out of Highland High School.

He was rated as the No. 1 center in the country and received offers from some of the best college football schools in the country. Hoge was recruited by Penn State, UCLA, Florida, USC, Stanford, North Carolina, Michigan State, Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Florida State and Utah."

This... maybe Hoge lives up that & the Jets have their All Pro Center for the next decade+... That would be a heck of an OL.