Rank-a-Bust (Sanchez v. Geno v. Darnold)

jgb

Rank-a-Bust  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you rank #1 (best) of the 3?

2. 2. Who do you rank #2 of the 3?

3. 3. Who do you rank #3 (worst) of the 3?

Sanchez clear #1 for me. Darnold v. Geno was a tough call -- but gave edge to Geno because he was just so much cheaper to acquire even though he is one of the most unlikeable Jets of my lifetime.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

The real bust were the Jet GMs for these QBs. 

They didn't surround their QBs with talent and to make it worse they surrounded all 3 with absolute dog crap on offense. 

Sanchez was coming off two back to back AFC Championship games and what did our GM Tanny do? Strips him of his WRs and force feeds him washed up Mason and Plaxico; and that was the END of a young Sanchez. 

Sam Darnold? It was criminal. The RBs WRs TEs and O-Line were drop dead disgusting; it was criminal what our GMs did to Sam (yes, JD included). 

These QBs weren't busts; our Front Office was. 

GMs sure have sucked but why didn't Sanchez and Geno ever do anything of note after leaving the Jets? I suspect the same will be true of Darnold.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

A 2nd round pick requiring no trade up, who despite his failings is the best QB from his draft class, and who’s made a nice career as a backup QB doesn’t belong in the conversation of Jets QB busts, let alone presumptive Top 3.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2

11 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

A 2nd round pick requiring no trade up, who despite his failings is the best QB from his draft class, and who’s made a nice career as a backup QB doesn’t belong in the conversation of Jets QB busts, let alone presumptive Top 3.

Then rank him #1.

This is ridiculous.  Why is Hackenberg not on the list, Browning Nagle is another one. Foley. And why would Sanchez be on a list of busts. Yeah he wasn't  a good QB but when you are the QB of a team that goes to the AFC championship  game in back to back years, you are not a bust. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I’d say...

3. Darnold- Most thought he was going #1 overall. We got “lucky” to get him at 3. He elevated nobody around him. Yes Gase and all but just expectations vs results is the biggest disappointment. 

2. Geno - He just sucked all around. No results. Gets punched. 

1.  Sanchez- Held his own with a veteran team, but bad coaching/GMing ruined any hope there was to supporting him. 

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This is ridiculous.  Why is Hackenberg not on the list, Browning Nagle is another one. Foley. And why would Sanchez be on a list of busts. Yeah he wasn't  a good QB but when you are the QB of a team that goes to the AFC championship  game in back to back years, you are not a bust. 

Because then it makes this argument too easy. We all know Hack was the worst. What’s there to debate??

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

14 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Out of the 3 the only 1 I had any expectation to not bust was Sam.   I nver believed Sanchez and Geno were going to be elite NFL QB's.  

Browns and Giants thoughts Sam would bust. Lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Because then it makes this argument too easy. We all know Hack was the worst. What’s there to debate??

Fine, do you believe Sanchez was a bust?

And between Geno and Darnold, there is no comparison. Geno was far and away the worse QB. I was a game vs the Bills and i think Geno threw 4 passes before he was benched, all of them picks and the last one was a pick 6. I don't  think any QB in the NFL ever had a game that bad. I couldn't  believe he wasn't  given an out right release in the lockerroom. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

The criteria was recency, highly-drafted, and actually appearing in an NFL game

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Out of the 3 the only 1 I had any expectation to not bust was Sam.   I nver believed Sanchez and Geno were going to be elite NFL QB's.  

Do you know how hard it is to become elite?  If the expectation is to become elite then 99% of QBs will be considered buddy's including many SB champion QBs.  That cannot be the standard, elite guys make the HOF.  You don't have to make the Hall to not be a bust.  

Sanchez was a key player on 2 championship game teams, he helped us get closer to a SB than at any point since SB III(he was the QB of the only AFC Championship Game where we had a chance to win in the final minutes if only our D stepped up).  He was not a bust.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

The real bust were the Jet GMs for these QBs. 

They didn't surround their QBs with talent and to make it worse they surrounded all 3 with absolute dog crap on offense. 

Sanchez was coming off two back to back AFC Championship games and what did our GM Tanny do? Strips him of his WRs and force feeds him washed up Mason and Plaxico; and that was the END of a young Sanchez. 

Sam Darnold? It was criminal. The RBs WRs TEs and O-Line were drop dead disgusting; it was criminal what our GMs did to Sam (yes, JD included). 

These QBs weren't busts; our Front Office was. 

You're pushing that narrative a little hard.  It wasn't the lack of talent on offense.  It was the fact that those guys were dicks.  That is why Cotchery asked out    Edwards left to be overpaid elsewhere.  Braylon Edwards wanted real money and had less than 400 yards and 1 TD after 2010, but DOWNFIELD BLOCKING!  Letting him walk was one of Tannenbaum's best moves.  In the meantime, Burress bailed Sanchez out catching 8 TDs.

They still had Holmes, Keller and Tomlinson.  Shonn Greene went over 1000 yards at over 4 ypc.   In 2011, Sanchez should have taken a step forward, but he couldn't lead all the toxic personalities and then as the years went on the line fell off.  They were sitting at 8-5 and ready to make a run and Sanchez put up 615 with 7 INTs over the last 3 games. The Jets didn't break 20 in any of them.  **** that stiff.

Seems like a strange premise for a guy with that username.

Sanchez is the worst by a mile. The Jets had the #1 defense, #1 running game and #1 offensive line in the NFL with great weapons to boot. If the Jets still have Pennington in those early Rex years we have another Superbowl trophy. You can't say any of those other QB's cost us a Superbowl.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Sanchez is the worst by a mile. The Jets had the #1 defense, #1 running game and #1 offensive line in the NFL with great weapons to boot. If the Jets still have Pennington in those early Rex years we have another Superbowl trophy. You can't say any of those other QB's cost us a Superbowl.

There are plenty of good and great QB's that never won or even went to a SB. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

What if Sam was drafted to that team? I would think we’d reach the Super Bowl but I also can’t imagine Sam making some of the throws Sanchez. Which is kinda weird to say. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

If you can include 2nd round Geno, then yes... Havk has to be there... and #1.

100%.  Geno is in the league, started during an 8-8 season.  Hack picked in the same round, never even dressed.  lmfao

It's arguably the worst pick in franchise history.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Do you know how hard it is to become elite?  If the expectation is to become elite then 99% of QBs will be considered buddy's including many SB champion QBs.  That cannot be the standard, elite guys make the HOF.  You don't have to make the Hall to not be a bust.  

Sanchez was a key player on 2 championship game teams, he helped us get closer to a SB than at any point since SB III(he was the QB of the only AFC Championship Game where we had a chance to win in the final minutes if only our D stepped up).  He was not a bust.

I do which is why even though most QB's aren't elite you don't trade up and draft a QB top 5 who can't be elite.  My expectation was we moved up to reach for a QB who didn't have the mental or physical traits to be an elite QB.   I don't blame Sanchez for not being an elite QB.  I never thought he had the tools to be elite and the Jets drafted him as if he had those traits.  I don't consider him a bust either.  He did what his talent and the team around him allowed him to do.  He was a nice game manager who had a few clutch spots in big games.  I had low expectations for him.  He ultimately washed out and gave us some nice moments.

My expectations is when you move up and give up draft capital to get inside the top 5 you better be drafting elite potential.  I don't believe Sanchez had elite potential.  I thought Sam did.  

20 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Fine, do you believe Sanchez was a bust?

And between Geno and Darnold, there is no comparison. Geno was far and away the worse QB. I was a game vs the Bills and i think Geno threw 4 passes before he was benched, all of them picks and the last one was a pick 6. I don't  think any QB in the NFL ever had a game that bad. I couldn't  believe he wasn't  given an out right release in the lockerroom. 

Sanchez had a pretty bad game against Buffalo in 2009.  30 attempts for 120 with 5 picks and no TDs.   I guess two were in OT, but the real killer was giving it back on the next play after Lowery picked off Fitzpatrick at midfield.  Weatherford adding a pick didn't help.  I think he had even less yards in the game in Buffalo.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

100%.  Geno is in the league, started during an 8-8 season.  Hack picked in the same round, never even dressed.  lmfao

It's arguably the worst pick in franchise history.

But Hackenberg has never thrown an incompletion in the NFL.  HOW CAN YOU KNOW? Nobody will give the kid a chance.

• Haha 3