Rank-a-Bust (Sanchez v. Geno v. Darnold)

jgb

Rank-a-Bust  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you rank #1 (best) of the 3?

2. 2. Who do you rank #2 of the 3?

3. 3. Who do you rank #3 (worst) of the 3?

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sanchez had a pretty bad game against Buffalo in 2009.  30 attempts for 120 with 5 picks and no TDs.   I guess two were in OT, but the real killer was giving it back on the next play after Lowery picked off Fitzpatrick at midfield.  Weatherford adding a pick didn't help.  I think he had even less yards in the game in Buffalo.

Geno had 0 yards and 4 picks in 4 attempts. It doesn't  get worse.

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Geno had 0 yards and 4 picks in 4 attempts. It doesn't  get worse.

I'm not sure I can answer the original question.  Geno was the worst QB, but for bust?  If there was a draft, I probably still take Darnold first then Sanchez, then Geno, but I am crazy like that.  Bust-wise I go Darnold, Smith then Sanchez.  Sanchez sucked, but he had some success.  I don't really consider him a bust at all.  Just not a very good QB. 

Geno was a 2nd rounder he probably surpassed my expectations.  I mean Kellen Clemens was probably a bigger bust and he might still be in the league.  Imagine not being able to take a job from Pennington and Patrick Ramsey?  Still light years better than Hackenberg

• Upvote 1

Sanchez was by the far the best of the three and actually showed a ton to be excited about in 2010. I really felt he was our guy after that Pats game. 

He needed to sit for a while or stay in college. I actually think some of his best traits were coached out of him as they desperately tried to get him to limit mistakes. He wasn’t ready for the NFL, certainly not for a team looking to win.

Darnold and Geno are pretty much neck and neck. I think the exta excitement for Darnold probably came purely because of his draft position, Geno definitely had his moments too but both were just obviously awful.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not sure I can answer the original question.  Geno was the worst QB, but for bust?  If there was a draft, I probably still take Darnold first the Sanchez, then Geno.  Bust-wise I go Darnold, Smith then Sanchez.  Sanchez sucked, but he had some success.  I don't really consider him a bust at all.  Just not a very good QB. 

Geno was a 2nd rounder he probably surpassed my expectations.  I mean Kellen Clemens was probably a bigger bust and he might still be in the league.  Imagine not being able to take a job from Pennington and Patrick Ramsey?  Still light years better than Hackenberg

With Darnold, i always had hope until some point last season where i knew it was over, with Geno, I saw the writing on the wall in his second season. Not sure when it happened but i knew  this guy was never going to take us to a SB and he had damn good players around him as well as a 3rd ranked D

I think you need to realistically need to see what Darnold does going forward. We've seen it with Sanchez (had a few decent years as backup with the Eagles, then washed out of the league) and Geno (turned into a long term backup.)

Even then it's kind of all about the criteria you apply -- especially given that Sanchez was handed the keys to a Rolls Royce and Geno and Darnold were fighting for their lives.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

With Darnold, i always had hope until some point last season where i knew it was over, with Geno, I saw the writing on the wall in his second season. Not sure when it happened but i knew  this guy was never going to take us to a SB and he had damn good players around him as well as a 3rd ranked D

His number one receiver was Clyde Gates.

Geno was a 2nd round pick who was rated highly before the draft, he is sill in the league.  He would be a disappointment not a bust.

Darnold and Sanchez are not comparable at all.

One entered the league on a pre built team with a top 5 oline and running game, a top 5 defense and a gm that went and got weapons as time went on.  And he had some success

One entered the league with the worst oline terrible defense, no offense weapons at all and the worst offensive coach  this league has seen in years and by far the worst GM in the league.  And he had no success.

Like the guys above Zac Wilson will be a bust or no bust depending on how good of a job joe Douglas does.

I know we like to live in a revisionist history world but Sanchez made some great throws and had some great games and moments as a Jet. In the opening game against BAL when he had an undrafted undersized Center he took an absolute beating including one hit where it looked like his soul left his body. That was the end of him in my opinion. I think that game cost him his will to compete. He signed a backup role with PHI before the market even opened up when there were teams in dire need of a starter where he could at least have competed for the spot. I just don’t think he wanted it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

Geno was the worst QB, but I voted Darnold for biggest bust based on draft position and what he cost us. We spent a top 3 pick and 3 2nd rounders on him, and Geno was a freebie 2nd round pick and the difference in production between the two isnt drastic. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Where is Christian Hackenberg on this list? 

He's not on the list, I suppose, because he was far and away the worst bust. At least the other three have played complete games. Hack didn't even earn a snap - not for the Jets, and tellingly, not from any other team, either.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

But Hackenberg has never thrown an incompletion in the NFL.  HOW CAN YOU KNOW? Nobody will give the kid a chance.

Jets had to cut him. The bill to repair broken windows at the practice facility was adding up.

24 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

He's not on the list, I suppose, because he was far and away the worst bust. At least the other three have played complete games. Hack didn't even earn a snap - not for the Jets, and tellingly, not from any other team, either.

A second round pick selected at #51, no matter how horrible, can never compare to a top-5 1st round pick bust, especially one we had to trade multiple high round picks to acquire.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Geno entered the league with Edwards and Holmes as his WR's. He also had Decker and Harvin. They put talent around him. 

No he didn't.

Edwards was off the team by 2011. Holmes was pretty washed in his final year.

He had Decker in his second year. The washed up ghost of Percy Harvin was nothing to write home about.

His rookie year Clyde Gates and Jeremy Kerley were his top two guys.

EDIT: Completley forgot Holmes was still here in 2013 after that foot injury. He was totally washed.

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

No he didn't.

Edwards was off the team by 2011. Holmes was gone by 2013, when Geno was drafted.

He had Decker in his second year. The washed up ghost of Percy Harvin was nothing to write home about.

His rookie year Clyde Gates and Jeremy Kerley were his top two guys.

Not a murders row of weaponz but if Jeremy Kerley had been a good person in his previous life he would've been re-incarnated as a Patriot. He would've pushed for 100 catches/yr in the Wes Welker/Julian Edelman role.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Not a murders row of weaponz but if Jeremy Kerley had been a good person in his previous life he would've been re-incarnated as a Patriot. He would've pushed for 100 catches/yr in the Wes Welker/Julian Edelman role.

I agree, Kerley was an above average slot receiver. On a good team he could have been productive. But when he's your number one... Not great.

I also forgot Holmes was still on the team in 2013, although he was clearly a shell of himself after that foot injury.

David Nelson was third in receiving yards, I think. 

I'd argue that crew is on par with what Darnold has had, at least when healthy. Robby Anderson his first two years was better than anyone Geno ever worked with.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Fair.

Sanchez > Darnold > Geno

Here's a question for the group -- if Sam Darnold was drafted 5th overall by the 2009 Jets do those teams have the same level of success as they had with Sanchez? Better? Worse?

I ask because particularly in hindsight they've got pretty similar profiles, one was just extremely well supported and one wasn't at all... And even though Darnold seems to be clearly a bigger "bust" I can't shake the feeling that he's also the better player.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Here's a question for the group -- if Sam Darnold was drafted 5th overall by the 2009 Jets do those teams have the same level of success as they had with Sanchez? Better? Worse?

I ask because particularly in hindsight they've got pretty similar profiles, one was just extremely well supported and one wasn't at all... And even though Darnold seems to be clearly a bigger "bust" I can't shake the feeling that he's also the better player.

Great question. I had Sanchez as my Darnold comp when Darnold was coming out. I think Sanchez was better. Darnold never played in big games but Sanchez did and played well enough to win. Did it > maybe could do it, for me.

I’m gonna go with what if’s.... if Rex didn’t keep sanchez in in the snoopy bowl. If Geno didn’t get himself punched in the jaw... and if Darnold had better coaching. We MAY have had something with all 3. But we’ll never know. Bust wise with the Jets. I’ll give it to Sam but realistically the jury’s still out in on him

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

26 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'd argue that crew is on par with what Darnold has had, at least when healthy. Robby Anderson his first two years was better than anyone Geno ever worked with.

Shhh, don't say this too loudly. 

It hurts the popular fIrE gAsE/Sam is secretly good narrative. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'd like to say that the team would have been better with Sam because I always thought he had more talent than Sanchez, but I honestly have no idea.

Sanchez played very well in several big games for us and Sam never got that opportunity, so it's really hard to say how he would have handled that pressure. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That's a good question, honestly I dont think much of Sweet Sammys prospects in the NFL but I think the 2009/2010 Jets would have been the same, maybe better. Sanchez was garbage propped up by his teammates, but he did come up with a few big plays in clutch moments which Darnold has never done. 

Even though Darnold was maybe a slightly better QB than Geno, he was easily the worst bust of the group because he was the highest pick, had the best physical tools of the 3, and had the highest expectations (he was largely considered the # 1 or 2 QB from a strong class), and still failed miserably and worse than all 3 failed.  Miss me with the "Jets failed him!" arguments, because if you are going to say that, you'll have to argue that for all 3.  The Jets have sucked for a decade, across all 3 QB's.

Geno was the # 1 QB from a weak class who we got in the 2nd round, and thus had lower expectations.  So even though he was a worse QB than Darnold, he goes ahead of Darnold for me.

Sanchez was the most frustrating, because our teams were loaded and he was still an embarrassment at every turn, but he at least played with some balls in a couple big moments and made a couple downfield throws late in big games/playoff games that connected, here and there.  I can't say that about the other QB's (though of course they never really got the chance to play in big moments).  So of the 3, he is the QB I reluctantly rank # 1, even though he was the biggest reason neither the 2009 or 2010 teams won a Super Bowl.  

However, all 3 can be loaded in the rocket with Mike Maccagnan and be fired into the sun, for all I care.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1