Rank-a-Bust (Sanchez v. Geno v. Darnold)

Rank-a-Bust  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you rank #1 (best) of the 3?

2. 2. Who do you rank #2 of the 3?

3. 3. Who do you rank #3 (worst) of the 3?

4 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I’m not sure how you put a thread called “rank a bust” with Sanchez on it and not Pennington? I still can’t get over the infatuation with Pennington at all, pre or post injuries the guy had a cupcake arm and played like a downright pussy. It’s why everytime he faced a legit D he got completely gutted. I hate to break it to you guys, but maybe other than Favre and Testaverde Sanchez has been our best QB since Namath. No question. That’s not saying much for Sanchez but fact is it’s true.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

@CTM and @Bleedin Green support this message.

NOW this thread is really about to blow up.  

Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The real bust were the Jet GMs for these QBs.  They didn't surround their QBs with talent and to make it worse they surrounded all 3 with absolute dog crap on offense.  Sanchez was coming of

nuking a dead horse from orbit.

Reasons Sam Darnold is a bust: Drafted 3rd overall, including a trade up of 3 2nd round picks. Leagues worst QB over 3 years in DVOA and DYAR Leagues 2nd worst QB over 3 years wh

Posted Images

Sanchez's Achilles heel was ball security along with a special knack for throwing picks to defensive linemen. 

Some QBs may have been mediocre but they did not have the glaring deficiencies that Sanchez had.

Sanchez's shortcomings only got worse with age culminating with three picks and two fumbles in his last regular season game... A game against Buffalo which I was present for.

At this point all three are busts in many minds including my own.

• Upvote 1
On 5/18/2021 at 8:06 PM, jgb said:

Basically there’s no reason not to get another QB lotto ticket every year. Adjust which round you do that in based on team circumstances.

I have to ask: if 40 career games of bad play didn’t convince you that Sam is no good, wouldn’t it be a little disingenuous to victory lap if Darnold has one good game against the Jets? For years Darnold supporters have said we need time to evaluate whether or not is a bust. I think that cuts both ways. That said, I know we live in the era of insta-takes and have already said many times that the told-you-shows will rain down every time Sam has a decent outing for the rest of his career.

Ok lol let me know how many games i should wait before i gloat. Ill do that then.

like the instant hedge btw 

10 hours ago, TeddEY said:

It's not just the time that's disingenuous, it's all the other complaints.

If the Jets are so bad that no QB could possibly be anything but the worst in the league here, then how does it prove anything if you beat the Jets?  All you did was beat a historically bad team as per the evaluation and conclusion you've used to defend the former Jets QB.

Yeah but according to you Darnold is the worst QB in the league....so i dont see how thats relevant genius. 

39 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Ok lol let me know how many games i should wait before i gloat. Ill do that then.

like the instant hedge btw 

It was a question.

You can victory lap whenever you want. In fact I hope you do for the entertainment that will ensue when Darnold inevitably thuds back to his baseline of suck.

Just be careful. Don't want to self-nino.

Suicide GIFs | Tenor

Darnold -- who isn't even a Jet anymore -- isn't worth it.

25 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Yeah but according to you Darnold is the worst QB in the league....so i dont see how thats relevant genius. 

He has been the worst QB in the league over the last three year period. Well only if you believe in silly notions that performance counts.

• Haha 2

There's an objectively correct ordering here. Sanchez had 4 road playoff wins and some exciting come backs. Darnold had a couple good games and that nice run. Geno is third.

• Upvote 1

wow @k-met57 

i thought you were messing with me when you said you were rooting for Sam to beat the Jets,.. to teach us a lesson..lol

apparently your love for Sam is real. 

its ok for you to gloat if Sam has a good game or 2. i think we will have the last laugh when it comes to Sam Darnold.

are you a met fan? or should i say are you still a met fan? maybe they traded away a player you want to " teach then a lesson " lol

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Yucatan Jetfan said:

I think Sanchez was the biggest disappointment but Hackenberg was the biggest bust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you in the Yucatán peninsula???

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Not according to me.  According to the data.  I don't make the rules.

And, even the NFL's worst QB wins football games sometimes, especially against historically bad teams as you claim the Jets to be.  This doesn't make the QB not terrible.  Darnold was statistically a bottom 3 QB two years ago, and finished 6-2 facing 4/5 of the leagues worst defenses as well as a playoff team resting starters.  He was still bottom 3.

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, jgb said:

He has been the worst QB in the league over the last three year period. Well only if you believe in silly notions that performance counts.

IF HE WAS ACKTULY DA WURZT, HOW COME HES ONE GAYMEZ?

-k-met, apparently.

• Haha 2
51 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

IF HE WAS ACKTULY DA WURZT, HOW COME HES ONE GAYMEZ?

-k-met, apparently.

What the proponents of the "Jets put Darnold in a situation no QB could succeed" hypothesis fail to explain is how they are able to evaluate that Darnold -- given his objectively poor performance -- is actually a good QB in such a situation. At best, this argument can only support an "incomplete" grade for Darnold. Basically, it's an admission that the range of potential outcomes is still so large that he could be anything. But they never acknowledge the downside inherent in the parameters of their own argument. They argue that Darnold is still a lottery ticket without considering that it may not hold the winning numbers.

I do not agree with this (we have plenty of data IMHO) just assuming for argument's sake that they have a point and drawing that point to its logical conclusion.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, jgb said:

What the proponents of the "Jets put Darnold in a situation no QB could succeed" hypothesis fail to explain is how they are able to evaluate that Darnold -- given his objectively poor performance -- is actually a good QB in such a situation. At best, this argument can only support an "incomplete" grade for Darnold. Basically, it's an admission that the range of potential outcomes is still so large that he could be anything. But they never acknowledge the downside inherent in the parameters of their own argument. They argue that Darnold is still a lottery ticket without considering that it may not hold the winning numbers.

I do not agree with this (we have plenty of data IMHO) just assuming for argument's sake that they have a point and drawing that point to its logical conclusion.

If I told you I had unearthed a refridgerator sized diamond in my backyard, you'd probably want to see some evidence beyond, "well, you can't prove I didn't" before you believed me.  Yet, this is exactly what some fans are willing to do with Darnold. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, jgb said:

Everyone agreed that Darnold was good enough to be drafted in the first round. The league seems to still be high on him. 

Taking that into account, there is at least a case to be made when it comes to Darnold. 

It's pretty consensual that Darnold's evolution as a football player was stunted by pretty adverse circumstances.

Like, Darnold was miles ahead of Mark Sanchez in his first and second years, with clearly inferior roster. There is definitely potential for him to play at a competent level, it will depend on him now. 

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, Cornfed said:

There's an objectively correct ordering here. Sanchez had 4 road playoff wins and some exciting come backs. Darnold had a couple good games and that nice run. Geno is third.

Sanchez was carried in 3 out of his 4 playoff wins.

With a competent QB the Jets would have at least one superbowl appearance in that span. 

• Upvote 4
9 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

Everyone agreed that Darnold was good enough to be drafted in the first round. The league seems to still be high on him. 

Taking that into account, there is at least a case to be made when it comes to Darnold. 

It's pretty consensual that Darnold's evolution as a football player was stunted by pretty adverse circumstances.

Like, Darnold was miles ahead of Mark Sanchez in his first and second years, with clearly inferior roster. There is definitely potential for him to play at a competent level, it will depend on him now. 

This, I think, is a sensible and balanced take. What I disagree with is the "analysis" of "situation bad therefore QB secretly-good."

I agree that we may not have seen the best version of Sam. I just happen to believe that any improvement (if there is one) will not be enough to move Sam from being one of many, many first-round QB busts to the exclusive club of QB turnaround stories. There is just too much evidence of the former, for me.

21 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

If I told you I had unearthed a refridgerator sized diamond in my backyard, you'd probably want to see some evidence beyond, "well, you can't prove I didn't" before you believed me.  Yet, this is exactly what some fans are willing to do with Darnold. 

"Yeah but some other yard in some other city 20 years ago had such a diamond in it, therefore it's a diamond, too."

Sanchez benefited from a stacked team. and he will always have those playoff wins no matter what. Sam will never have them, at least not as a jet. and he was suppose to be better so hes the worst bust in this poll.

the whole thing about Sam not having a good team is BS. a good QB would have made Crowder, Mims and Perriman look like all pros.

well maybe not all pros but you get the picture.

do you think if we traded our WRs with Houston that Watson wouldnt still pass for those crazy numbers? would the Houston WRs make Sam put up Watson like numbers? same with Herbert and the Chargers. and they had the worst OL in the NFL according to PFF.

QBs make there WRs look good. not the other way around. 

if Sam needs a stacked team to succeed then he sucks. he will be Mark Sanchez. doing just enough but never taking the team on his back to win a big game. and without it he will be butt fumble Sanchez.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
4 hours ago, jgb said:

the only logical conclusion is that you and the dolphin dope only hear what you want to hear and refuse to accept anyone not agreeing with your straw man argument of what you think are facts. this is football, even the facts are iffy at best most of the time depending on what they are and where you get them. ill say it again...i dont judge football on players on pff grades, i judge them on watching the games and watching the teams, and how the players play around them, and how they play.

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

the only logical conclusion is that you and the dolphin dope only hear what you want to hear and refuse to accept anyone not agreeing with your straw man argument of what you think are facts. this is football, even the facts are iffy at best most of the time depending on what they are and where you get them. ill say it again...i dont judge football on players on pff grades, i judge them on watching the games and watching the teams, and how the players play around them, and how they play.

It's as likely that I'm a secret-Dolphins-fan-in-disguise than that Darnold is a secret-Franchise-QB-in-disguise. At least you are consistent.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, doitny said:

Sanchez benefited from a stacked team. and he will always have those playoff wins no matter what. Sam will never have them, at least not as a jet. and he was suppose to be better so hes the worst bust in this poll.

the whole thing about Sam not having a good team is BS. a good QB would have made Crowder, Mims and Perriman look like all pros.

well maybe not all pros but you get the picture.

do you think if we traded our WRs with Houston that Watson wouldnt still pass for those crazy numbers? would the Houston WRs make Sam put up Watson like numbers? same with Herbert and the Chargers. and they had the worst OL in the NFL according to PFF.

QBs make there WRs look good. not the other way around. 

if Sam needs a stacked team to succeed then he sucks. he will be Mark Sanchez. doing just enough but never taking the team on his back to win a big game. and without it he will be butt fumble Sanchez.

My New Best Friend (English Edition) eBook: Marlowe, Sara, Salom, Ivette:  Amazon.de: Kindle-Shop

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
16 hours ago, Cornfed said:

A second round pic can not be as bad a bust as the #3 overall who the team gave up 3 extra second rounders for.

Just the trade up value was the Geno pick, three times!   Plus the #3 overall.   Do you know what kind of run stopping defensive tackle you can get with the #3 overall?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

look in the mirror dumb ass.

When all you've got left is name calling, you've already lost.

• Post of the Week 1
1 hour ago, jgb said:

It's as likely that I'm a secret-Dolphins-fan-in-disguse than Darnold is a secret-Franchise-QB-in-disguise. At least you are consistent.

IF UR NOT A SECRET BULLZ FAN Y U GOT MITCH TUBISINSKI IN UR SIG?  CARE TO ESPLANE THAT MUCHACHO?

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

Not trying to do either....please go away.

If anyone should go away from JetNation dot com, ought it not be the guy actively rooting against the Jets?

Carolina Huddle dot com is a pretty solid message board.  I think they may be a bit too bearish on Darnold for your taste, but I'm sure you can find friends.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

If anyone should go away from JetNation dot com, ought it not be the guy actively rooting against the Jets?

Carolina Huddle dot com is a pretty solid message board.  I think they may be a bit too bullish on Darnold for your taste, but I'm sure you can find friends.

Write a note and leave it in the suggestion box on the way out bubba.

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Write a note and leave it in the suggestion box on the way out bubba.

Unlike your league worst ginger heartthrob...

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2
18 hours ago, Cornfed said:

lol.  And Geno Smith didn't?  He won an AFC player of the Month, my man.  He also had an 8-8 season. 

Darnold and Geno Smith are not that far off.  The problem is Geno Smith's attitude sucked.  Sammy is a nice boy so far too many people think he's better than he is.

• Upvote 1

The obsession with supporting Sweet, Sweet Sammy through thick and thin is puzzling.  He sucked at football and is no longer a Jet.  Why waste any tears?  I mean, how many terrible Jets QB's do you have to watch here to recognize that some guys just don't have it?  We're all experts on bad QB play at this point, or should be.  

Just accept that he sucked, was a bust, and that your man-love is unnecessary now that he's wearing Carolina blue.  Or go become a Panthers fan.  Whatever works best.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

When all you've got left is name calling, you've already lost.

Well this meltdown was fun ha ha

• Haha 1