Rank-a-Bust (Sanchez v. Geno v. Darnold)

jgb

Rank-a-Bust  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you rank #1 (best) of the 3?

2. 2. Who do you rank #2 of the 3?

3. 3. Who do you rank #3 (worst) of the 3?

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Not sure why tagging me..  the return was much closer to what predicted than the ridiculousness most said.

In fact the 2nd, 4th, 6th is equal to a late 1st.

You knuckle draggers were the ones carrying on about a lone 4th. 

2022 2nd & 4th is the equivalent of a 2021 3rd & 5th.  Meaning we essentially got back Leonard Williams prices for Sam Darnold.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I kind of think the "raw talent" is a bit overstated.  Darnold doesn't have a great arm and he certainly doesn't have great accuracy.  He's strong and he's somewhat evasive, but he's not going to hurt people with his feet either.

Darnold is a QB that ultimately needed to have it between the ears.  And there, he's severely lacking.

As we see time and again, the NFL is simply too late to learn to play QB.  Even more so when you don't have elite physical tools to cover up your shortcomings.

There are three broad categories of QB. 

1. Those that do not have the baseline level of physical talent necessary to succeed in the NFL. (Luke Falk, Curtis Painter)

2. QBs above the baseline. For this category, what's upstairs defines success or failure. ~90% of QBs that make a final roster fit into this category. For them, greater physical talent has diminishing returns -- the mental game grows proportionately more correlated to success -- until you hit the next category. 

3. Absolute physical freaks. Their physical talent is so unique that they can rely on it to be productive. These types of players are able to cover up other gaps in their game because their ability is so rare. The type to "burn out rather than fade away" as their physical prowess degrades. (Michael Vick, Lamar Jackson).

• Upvote 1

I was always kind of disappointed with Darnold's arm strength.  He could throw, but that wasn't the cannon I want at 3 overall.  His accuracy was bewildering.  At times he seemed all over the map, but there were times that he would look like he was throwing balls away only to have the drop into receiver's hands.  I don't know if I love Wilson's arm strength, but his release seems pretty nice.  We'll see how this works out.

I don't understand why they didn't use Darnold's legs.  I don't think he can run like Jackson, but a few RPP plays would put pressure on the D.  I get when they were saving him, but a few games into 2020 it was obvious he wasn't going to be Peyton Manning.  Why the **** would Gase leave bullets in the chamber?  Did any coach survive tanking?  Poor Jim Caldwell got booted in Indy.     

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I was always kind of disappointed with Darnold's arm strength.  He could throw, but that wasn't the cannon I want at 3 overall.  His accuracy was bewildering.  At times he seemed all over the map, but there were times that he would look like he was throwing balls away only to have the drop into receiver's hands.  I don't know if I love Wilson's arm strength, but his release seems pretty nice.  We'll see how this works out.

Something I noticed on his long ball, he seems to consistently overthrow his guy by a few steps. Not sure if this is a lack of confidence or risk averseness but as I said (I think it was last off season) his long ball would be the easiest thing to fix since he throws it consistently (precision v. accuracy). Didn't happen, obviously.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't understand why they didn't use Darnold's legs.  I don't think he can run like Jackson, but a few RPP plays would put pressure on the D.  I get when they were saving him, but a few games into 2020 it was obvious he wasn't going to be Peyton Manning.  Why the **** would Gase leave bullets in the chamber?  Did any coach survive tanking?  Poor Jim Caldwell got booted in Indy.     

Because Gase would rather lose his way than win someone else's way? I think Gase was just an absolute hard-headed stubborn mule who cannot and will not accept criticism or change.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

There are three broad categories of QB. 

1. Those that do not have the baseline level of physical talent necessary to succeed in the NFL. (Luke Falk, Curtis Painter)

2. QBs above the baseline. For this category, what's upstairs defines success or failure. ~90% of QBs that make a final roster fit into this category. For them, greater physical talent has diminishing returns -- the mental game grows proportionately more correlated to success -- until you hit the next category. 

3. Absolute physical freaks. Their physical talent is so unique that they can rely on it to be productive. These types of players are able to cover up other gaps in their game because their ability is so rare. The type to "burn out rather than fade away" as their physical prowess degrades. (Michael Vick, Lamar Jackson).

You could probably add Favre and Allen types to category 3.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Gramsci said:

Sanchez had one of the best, if not the best roster in the league. Darnold had one of the worst, if not the worst roster in the league. 

Is that not relevant? 

Even the receivers had better seasons under Darnold then under Sanchez, even taking into account how much worse the group is, the lack of an elite running game and one of the best OL units in the league. 

i dont believe they are relevant. yes in winning games, but the QB should still be able to produce.

Watson went 4-12 and was on top of almost all QB categories. and his line wasnt much better than ours. and im not convinced the WRs make that big a difference, it helps but they dont make the QB an all pro. its the other way around.

oh and Houston had the 2nd worst rushing yards in the NFL. we were 23

Edelman was a 7th rd pick who sat on the bench for 3-4 years. then TB12 makes him look like an all pro. Tyreek Hill was a 5th rd pick. Smith and Mahomes make him look great.

remember Anderson had a much better year in 2017 with McCowen then in 2018, 2019 with Sam. then lights it up with Teddy. if Andersons numbers drop this year thats on Sam. 

if Sanchez was worst than Sam despite the better team his numbers would have been really bad.  2010-2011 Sanchez put up numbers that Sam never has. they were pretty decent. looked like he was turning the corner until he took a step back in 2012.

Sam took that step back last year. 

does being injury prone count? Sanchez missed 2 games in 4 years. Sam has missed 10 in 3 years. 

7 hours ago, TeddEY said:

You could probably add Favre and Allen types to category 3.

Definitely, rare arm talent also falls into that category, not just being able to run fast and be elusive. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Decent ? There is still a 60 percent chance that Darnold turns into a stud behind a real OL.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I'll take those odds. Name the stakes!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Decent ? There is still a 60 percent chance that Darnold turns into a stud behind a real OL.

You mean an OL like the one that looked fine with Joe Flacco under center?  That OL?  

60 %.  That's a fun dream world to live in, I suppose.  

You know who was a stud behind the # 32 OL in the NFL last season?  Justin Herbert.  

• Sympathy 1

You mean an OL like the one that looked fine with Joe Flacco under center?  That OL?  
60 %.  That's a fun dream world to live in, I suppose.  
You know who was a stud behind the # 32 OL in the NFL last season?  Justin Herbert.  
Justin Hebert minus Adam Gase

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

So hilarious. 38 games of sucking and a million excuses. But you've already said if he performs well Week 1, that'll prove all the haters wrong.

You and @nico002 must have gotten your PhD's in statistics from the same venerated institution.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

lmao.  You still haven't learned your lesson despite being so wrong about Jamal Adams, have you.  And Jamal was actually pretty good at at least one thing on the football field, unlike poor Sweet Sammy, who is good at absolutely nothing.

I'm right far more often than you, so you should probably just stop right here and move on.  The best way to get out of a hole is to stop digging.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lmao.  You still haven't learned your lesson despite being so wrong about Jamal Adams, have you.  And Jamal was actually pretty good at at least one thing on the football field, unlike poor Sweet Sammy, who is good at absolutely nothing.

I'm right far more often than you, so you should probably just stop right here and move on.  The best way to get out of a hole is to stop digging.

Unfortunately for him, Panthers can't face the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Unfortunately for him, Panthers can't face the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

He's at least rooting for them to meet in the NFC title game, with one winning the Super Bowl and thus give us something like picks 32, 62 and 126 in the draft.  Because that's what REAL FANS do:  Root hard for former players to prove the HATERS wrong.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, undertow said:

Same tools calling everyone busts have a closet full of these guys jerseys.....so much feminine energy.

Wondering what's wrong with feminine energy. Then realizing the source and moving on. ;) 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's at least rooting for them to meet in the NFC title game, with one winning the Super Bowl and thus give us something like picks 32, 62 and 126 in the draft.  Because that's what REAL FANS do:  Root hard for former players to prove the HATERS wrong.

Those got durn haterz ruining good boys like Sammy who shouldb'e beene a successfsfs hereere bbbuttt thosse hatterxzzz GGFHGHAHAHAHHH!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Those got durn haterz ruining good boys like Sammy who shouldb'e beene a successfsfs hereere bbbuttt thosse hatterxzzz GGFHGHAHAHAHHH!!!

Oh jeez, now you're going full Bills fan with your posts.  Never go full Bills fan.  Jumping through on fire tables while posting on JN is ill-advised.  

• Haha 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh jeez, now you're going full Bills fan with your posts.  Never go full Bills fan.  Jumping through on fire tables while posting on JN is ill-advised.  

He is right though. I am a hater. I hate terrible football players especially ones who took 4 premium draft picks to acquire.

• Post of the Week 1

On 5/20/2021 at 3:18 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  And Geno Smith didn't?  He won an AFC player of the Month, my man.  He also had an 8-8 season. 

Darnold and Geno Smith are not that far off.  The problem is Geno Smith's attitude sucked.  Sammy is a nice boy so far too many people think he's better than he is.

When you compare smith to Darnold, you have to look at the draft capital used to acquire them. Smith was a second round pick. Darnold was the third pick in the draft and the Jets gave up 3 second round picks as well. That’s 3 Geno Smiths plus the3rd pick. Darnold should have been much much better than Smith and he was arguably worse.

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2021 at 7:28 AM, Dunnie said:

Show your work!

FO outsiders gave him a 50% chance of busting, and now he’s done that for 3 years.  Get me to 60% chance of elite.

• Upvote 2