Rotator Cuff Surgery

On 6/8/2021 at 6:13 AM, Dunnie said:

Yup .. nerve block .. lasted about 1.5 -2 days

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

On 6/8/2021 at 10:31 PM, Bugg said:

About 48/72 hours. When it comes off, not good. 

On 6/9/2021 at 12:18 PM, Jets0712 said:

Yes. Definitely get the nerve block. Mine lasted 48 hours after surgery. Get the ice machine as well. Good luck to you. 5 months in. I feel great. It does get better. Rehab is Key

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The pain is now only when I sleep lol. I started stretching and strength exercise this week. I don’t think the pain can be much worse than when I first hurt it. It felt like my arm was ripped out of its socket and was dangling. Now I have a lot more range of motion and strength in it.

im not over doing it though. My friend did that before surgery and neither he or his doctor knew that he had bone Spurs that were acting like a serrated saw slicing everything every time he moved his arm. And it was a lot worse than they thought.

• 1 month later...
[mention=28731]Dunnie[/mention] how are you doing? How’s rehab?

I get surgery august 30th. Been doing pt for 6 weeks now. Feeling better
Surgery alleviated a lot of pain... I had a lot of pain due to the fact that my tear came as a result of calcium deposits ripping it over time. I also had a bone spur that needed to be shaved down. My biggest issue right now is lack of strength in the shoulder .. very hard to lift my arm straight up.

But PT is helping and I get to start using weights in a couple weeks.

The pain reduction has been awesome.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

• 3 weeks later...
[mention=28731]Dunnie[/mention]

questions:

how are you doing kid?

when did you start driving again?

did you invest in a bidet? Lol 

pain is gone, going to see doc Tuesday. My stress ball fell off my sling and rolled under the couch lol
I was doing awesome .. 80% back ... until i pushed it too hard two days ago and now i am back to not being able to lift my arm and going back to the dr in a week praying i dont need more surgery.

Be smart ... dont be idle ... but dont be a stupid soldier.

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I was doing awesome .. 80% back ... until i pushed it too hard two days ago and now i am back to not being able to lift my arm and going back to the dr in a week praying i dont need more surgery.

Be smart ... dont be idle ... but dont be a stupid soldier.

Omg dude, sorry to hear that! Jesus after 4 months, hope everything is ok. I don’t ever want to go through this again. The problem is habitual. As it feels better you start using it out of habit without thinking. I am catching myself at times.

• Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 6:34 AM, Dunnie said:

Just got out of rotator cuff surgery at HSS ... I have a new appreciation for enduring this process.

On 5/29/2021 at 5:03 PM, BP said:

I had to change my MRI apt. No way I can ly on my back for 30 minutes in that cigar tube. The only time it hurts is when I ly on my back. Stand up MRI Tuesday night.

range of motion is getting a lot better. But lots of crackling and popping sometimes (feels good, like cracking knuckles)

So my right shoulder , last 10 years , has been in and out of major pain. Now, the pain won’t go away.   It cracks ALL the time, hard to sleep, difficult to put a belt on as I can’t reach around my back.

Did you guys experience cracking of the shoulder like it was a knuckle??.

Im 59.  

So my right shoulder , last 10 years , has been in and out of major pain. Now, the pain won’t go away.   It cracks ALL the time, hard to sleep, difficult to put a belt on as I can’t reach around my back.
Im 59.  
Oh yeah ... exactly ...

I am no doctor ... but i think that cracking my friend may be associated with age and arthritis ... get it checked out ...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Im 59.  

Yes, the cracking like a knuckle and not being able to sleep on your back are tell tale signs. My surgeon told me (I’m 56) that you’re starting to get arthritis in there and that I’m too young for that. It has to be repaired and cleaned out.

the cracking is the tear and bone Spurs. He basically used anchors and screws to reattach my arm.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Last day in this ******* sling. Haven’t driven in a month. Have not had an alcoholic beverage in almost 5 weeks (that’s coming to an end soon lol) 

looking forward to tomorrow morning. My surgeon told me not to lift anything other than a few pounds. But try and move my arm  as much as possible. It feels good, no pain.

About 2 years out. My shoulder is almost what it was. Still kinda careful about doing flys and heavy weights. Was made clear by the orthopedica surgeon and PT guys you have to take it easy and be careful. There is no point to overdoing it becuse the risk is always there. And I don't anticipate entering Mr. Universe nor going to the combine so....

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

• 2 weeks later...

6 weeks and 1 day. Last Monday I was at 130 degrees with extending my right arm. This week 150 degrees. Can now sleep in bed on my back without hugging a pillow. God I’d pay any amount of money to be able to do that again.

Just started phase II of rehab last week. Feels good.

On 9/29/2021 at 7:19 PM, Bugg said:

About 2 years out. My shoulder is almost what it was. Still kinda careful about doing flys and heavy weights. Was made clear by the orthopedica surgeon and PT guys you have to take it easy and be careful. There is no point to overdoing it becuse the risk is always there. And I don't anticipate entering Mr. Universe nor going to the combine so....

My shoulder already has more range of motion after surgery that before.

what about push-ups? No no?

• 5 weeks later...

Saw my doctor yesterday and he was pleasantly surprised by the range of motion and strength in the shoulder. He lifted restrictions lol but I’m not taking any chances. I start strengthening next week and I’m gonna wait until the next time I see him (January) before I feel comfortable lifting anything without damaging it.

I can finally sleep on my back pain free. So I am catching up on 6 months of not being able to sleep :)  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 2:50 PM, Dunnie said:

Oh yeah ... exactly ...

I am no doctor ... but i think that cracking my friend may be associated with age and arthritis ... get it checked out ...

2 years out of surgery, talk to the orthopedist from time to time. Basic idea is even with surgery, PT and exercise,  the injury hastens joint and muscular deterioration. Never going back to 100%, and there is gonna be pain.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Bugg said:

2 years out of surgery, talk to the orthopedist from time to time. Basic idea is even with surgery, PT and exercise,  the injury hastens joint and muscular deterioration. Never going back to 100%, and there is gonna be pain.

I’m 56 and I think I’m just lucky. I still have soreness at night in the back of my shoulder but the doc said pain is normal for at least 4 months.

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Im.at 170 degrees.might be my limit ... beyond and my shoulder pops ... will excersizing snd hopemfor the best.

When I was at PT in October right after I got the sling off my physical therapist started moving my arm back and not only did it pop but I felt the tendons and muscles moving laterally in my shoulder. I was like “wtf was that” she was like “I don’t know” lol that wasn’t comforting.

170 degrees is close enough. Im at 180 right now and she wants me to keep pushing it more with my other hand. Also I’m doing phase 3 exercises now which add to the soreness.

when I talked to the doc he said he had to scrape off old carcass off the bone and reattach basically all 4 things connecting my arm with anchors and screws. I have 7 little incisions around my shoulder and the physical therapist was surprised, she usually only sees three.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:17 AM, BP said:

I’m 56 and I think I’m just lucky. I still have soreness at night in the back of my shoulder but the doc said pain is normal for at least 4 months.

When I was at PT in October right after I got the sling off my physical therapist started moving my arm back and not only did it pop but I felt the tendons and muscles moving laterally in my shoulder. I was like “wtf was that” she was like “I don’t know” lol that wasn’t comforting.

170 degrees is close enough. Im at 180 right now and she wants me to keep pushing it more with my other hand. Also I’m doing phase 3 exercises now which add to the soreness.

when I talked to the doc he said he had to scrape off old carcass off the bone and reattach basically all 4 things connecting my arm with anchors and screws. I have 7 little incisions around my shoulder and the physical therapist was surprised, she usually only sees three.

The x-rays with the anchors and  screws were a bit of a surprise. I knew it was part of the surgery, still didn't register.  Appears between me and my 2 sons, EVERY shoulder surgery involves scraping and scooping out various smashed up shoulder detrius. If you over 20 American man who has ever thrown a baseball, football, basketball, or swung a tennis racket, golf club or lax or hockey stick, you have some damage. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The x-rays with the anchors and  screws were a bit of a surprise. I knew it was part of the surgery, still didn't register.  Appears between me and my 2 sons, EVERY shoulder surgery involves scraping and scooping out various smashed up shoulder detrius. If you over 20 American man who has ever thrown a baseball, football, basketball, or swung a tennis racket, golf club or lax or hockey stick, you have some damage. 

Lol they charged my insurance $7,000.00 for the anchors and screw, just the materials.

throwing a baseball is not a natural motion and will definitely damage it. But when you throw a football you short arm it so it doesn’t put as much torque as throwing a baseball. Most nfl qbs that had rotator cuff surgery was from contact, not from throwing.

my shoulder has been sore as **** since I started strengthening exercises last week. So I am back to my old friend old buddy, my ice pack lol. My doc said it’s gonna hurt for four months, so I should only have a month to go.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah i have 4 ..i had a debarkement done and need to shave parts of my humourous.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got released from my doctor yesterday and no more going to PT. Just at home strengthening with weights. Full range of motion in all directions.

I bumped up to 30lb dumbbells for bent over rows. Still doing wall pushups and just went from 10lb dumbbells to 16lb dumbbells for the bench press. Still curling with 10lb dumbbells and tricep kickbacks with 10lb dumbbells. I just bumped up to the black therabands for the 3 hardest exercises (the elevated 90 degree rotation in both directions and the shoulder raises. I am taking it easy for at least another two months (no fly’s lol) but it feels great now and I only do the stretching 3 times a week with the lifting, before and after. Never want to go through this sh*t again.

• Upvote 2