WR questions

Who will have the better season?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who will have the better season?

• Denzel Mims
    • Elijah Moore
  2. 2. Which WR does NOT make the final roster?

• Crowder
    • V. Smith
    • Berrios
    • J. Smith
    • Cager

I said Mims because a) he's in his 2nd year and b) Wilson threw a lot of 50/50 balls @ BYU and that should be a strength for Mims.

Cager will probably get another year on the PS. Can be another big possession WR like Mims and Davis. I think the Smith boys & Berrios are most at risk for not making it. Would be shocked if they got rid of Crowder

• Upvote 4

i really liked what i saw from mims last year - yes hurt but no rookie training camp limited practice reps and playing for all time worst head coach/offensive coordinator- he’s got size/speed/hands and runs at least decent routes - laflours offense doesn’t require full route trees and with davis and moore on field with him - it will be pick your poison - i hope moore has a great rookie campaign and i hope davis shows continued improvement but right now i think mims can be the number 1 we’ve been waiting for

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

i really liked what i saw from mims last year - yes hurt but no rookie training camp limited practice reps and playing for all time worst head coach/offensive coordinator- he’s got size/speed/hands and runs at least decent routes - laflours offense doesn’t require full route trees and with davis and moore on field with him - it will be pick your poison - i hope moore has a great rookie campaign and i hope davis shows continued improvement but right now i think mims can be the number 1 we’ve been waiting for

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Agreed. 

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are going to have Elijah Moore going against other teams 4th corner.

This offense is going to be electric and light up the scoreboard this year.

if our protection is better than in previous years, how can you possibly cover our wideouts on multiple wr sets? 

16 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

if our protection is better than in previous years, how can you possibly cover our wideouts on multiple wr sets? 

U cant.  And the line will be tremendously better w/ Becton in year 2, AVT and George Fant playing in a system tailor made for him.

Zach Wilson will win rookie of the year and it wont be close.  Hes got weapons galore.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, docdhc said:

You sure you don’t work in the Jets PR department?  What’s your prediction on their record this year?

I think they can get 9 wins and finish 2nd in the division.

We have the 2nd best qb in the division.  We should be better the pats and fins based on that.

• Upvote 1

I think Mims will put up better numbers than Moore.  Year 2 vs rookie.  Obviously he has to stay healthy, which he couldn't do last season, but I think he will be fine.  He was open a lot when he played, but not targeted.  I like Moore, but as a rookie with Crowder, Davis, Cole & Mims, I think his targets will be limited early.

The two Smiths and Cager, imo, are practices squad candidates.  I am assumign Crowder will not be moved before start of the season.  Depth is something we have not had for years.  Keep Crowder, let him play out his contract.  At some point we need to play the comp pick game.  I gave Berrios the nod over the other guys based on Special teams.  He is the only one of the 3 with experience returning punts.

• Upvote 1

I think Mims will have the better season but I don’t feel strongly about that statement. I envision both being pretty productive. And I think both are at the same place developmentally even though Elijah Moore is a rookie.

I feel pretty strongly that Cager does not make the final roster. Davis, Mims, Crowder, Moore and Cole are locks to make the roster barring a trade.

That leaves one spot for J Smith, V Smith and Berrios. V Smith and Berrios offer special teams support. But I think Berrios gets the nod because of his PR abilities. I don’t see a better option on the team and V Smith is more of a KR which is not as important with the new rules.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think they can get 9 wins and finish 2nd in the division.

We have the 2nd best qb in the division.  We should be better the pats and fins based on that.

Nice crystal ball dude.  Is it green colored?

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I think Mims will have the better season but I don’t feel strongly about that statement. I envision both being pretty productive. And I think both are at the same place developmentally even though Elijah Moore is a rookie.

I feel pretty strongly that Cager does not make the final roster. Davis, Mims, Crowder, Moore and Cole are locks to make the roster barring a trade.

That leaves one spot for J Smith, V Smith and Berrios. V Smith and Berrios offer special teams support. But I think Berrios gets the nod because of his PR abilities. I don’t see a better option on the team and V Smith is more of a KR which is not as important with the new rules.

Hard to say. Mims wasn't as highly regarded iirc. He was a legit 2nd rounder but it would have surprised no one if Moore went in round 1 (and barely lasted in round 2). Hard to say in that, if he is the real deal as a unique talent who never should've slipped that far, then he could be great as a rookie. 

I didn't think the Jets were looking at the position that early, figuring they were already content with the Davis-Mims-Crowder trio and would have just taken a round 3 if not a day 3 slot receiver to eventually take over for Crowder (whose contract is up after this year anyway). Then again, despite talent nobody denied, it looked like a head scratcher when Minnesota - a contender, already with two probowl WR starters - took Randy Moss in round 1 over someone who'd be a more obvious full-time, hole-filling starter immediately. Then the guy goes on to be as great a WR as there's ever been including a 17-TD rookie season. Go figure. 

No, Moore isn't a Randy Moss clone, but I don't think Mims has accomplished enough to have a stranglehold on a starting position just yet. Ideally that turns around, with a full + healthy camp and other upgrades the team's made, but it's too early to make that call.

It's easy to pick the 4 that are sticking. Of the rest, yeah I think Cole makes it. Berrios on special teams is a big advantage for him, since the team already has its steady lower-ceiling guys and its untapped potential high-ceiling ones among those top 4, so what should separate the last 1 or 2 may be versatility more than potential upside. 

• Upvote 2

In my mind, Elijah Moore is easier to project because he's more of a complete WR at this point. He doesn't have the body Denzel Mims has, nor does he have the contested catch ability or blocking chops, but he has superior foot quickness/change of direction and game speed which allows him to excel as a route runner and with the ball in his hands after the catch. His football IQ and instincts appear to be more natural as well. They both play tough and have really good hands, but I think I'd give Elijah Moore the edge in both categories. I think his pathway to production will be more limited than Mims' in year 1 simply because he'll be competing for snaps with more players (Jamison Crowder, Keelan Cole, Braxton Berrios); he won't exclusively line up in the slot, but should expect him to line up there the most. Still, I expect the Jets to find ways to get him involved and should still be in for 500-700 yards in year one despite the competition (think Marquise Brown rookie year). 

Denzel Mims is much more of a wildcard to me. I can see him being your typical WR3-4 along the lines of year 2 DeVante Parker or I can see him taking an Allen Robinson-like year 2 jump and developing into an upper echelon receiver. Unless something goes terribly wrong, I think Mims has shown that he has the caliber talent to be a starting perimeter receiver in the NFL, it's just a matter of how good. Being said, there's always the possibility he doesn't quite fit what the Jets are trying to do offensively and gets stuck in neutral (think Devin Funchess, Anthony Miller). I hope and pray that's not the case, but I do feel there's more volatility as it pertains to projecting Denzel Mims's career compared with Elijah Moore's. 

As far as who doesn't make the final roster, I think it will be both Smith's and Cager. I do see at least 2 of them being stashed on the practice squad, and if someone gets hurt one of them will make the team, but I just think they value Berrios as a punt returner and I expect LaFleur to get creative with him. People forget he has 4.4 wheels and is more refined as a receiver than the other 3, despite his size/role limitations. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, football guy said:

In my mind, Elijah Moore is easier to project because he's more of a complete WR at this point. He doesn't have the body Denzel Mims has, nor does he have the contested catch ability or blocking chops, but he has superior foot quickness/change of direction and game speed which allows him to excel as a route runner and with the ball in his hands after the catch. His football IQ and instincts appear to be more natural as well. They both play tough and have really good hands, but I think I'd give Elijah Moore the edge in both categories. I think his pathway to production will be more limited than Mims' in year 1 simply because he'll be competing for snaps with more players (Jamison Crowder, Keelan Cole, Braxton Berrios); he won't exclusively line up in the slot, but should expect him to line up there the most. Still, I expect the Jets to find ways to get him involved and should still be in for 500-700 yards in year one despite the competition (think Marquise Brown rookie year). 

Denzel Mims is much more of a wildcard to me. I can see him being your typical WR3-4 along the lines of year 2 DeVante Parker or I can see him taking an Allen Robinson-like year 2 jump and developing into an upper echelon receiver. Unless something goes terribly wrong, I think Mims has shown that he has the caliber talent to be a starting perimeter receiver in the NFL, it's just a matter of how good. Being said, there's always the possibility he doesn't quite fit what the Jets are trying to do offensively and gets stuck in neutral (think Devin Funchess, Anthony Miller). I hope and pray that's not the case, but I do feel there's more volatility as it pertains to projecting Denzel Mims's career compared with Elijah Moore's. 

As far as who doesn't make the final roster, I think it will be both Smith's and Cager. I do see at least 2 of them being stashed on the practice squad, and if someone gets hurt one of them will make the team, but I just think they value Berrios as a punt returner and I expect LaFleur to get creative with him. People forget he has 4.4 wheels and is more refined as a receiver than the other 3, despite his size/role limitations. 

I agree with all your points. 

People also forget that Berrios made the most of his opportunities even though he was misused last season.

On 5/21/2021 at 1:35 PM, bealeb319 said:

Some of you have really high hopes. I have not seen enough from mims to pretend he can be any kind of difference maker my money would be on crowder being the most productive wr on the roster hopefully I will be wrong and Moore will step up and get tons of yards after reception this year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

pluse i think we dont have tthe right wepons for zach wilson or a next QB thats right 

• Thumb Down 1