Cameron Clark is one of the most important Jets of 2021 (Film)

7 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Nobody outside of 1 Jets Drive knows for sure why Clark did not see the field in 2020

Would love to hear JD's take on Cameron.

• Upvote 4

getting clark on the field would be a huge plus.  as i recall he was a little injured last season and it could be they were switching him from left to right tackle.

• Upvote 1

There is another theme, worthy of its own thread, as to whether it is worth the Jets to "go for it" in 2021, building a roster that could compete for the playoffs, or stick with and develop what they have and spend the money next year.

If they wanted to go for it this year, the Jets would keep Crowder and sign a CB and backup QB.  The would also keep Lewis unless they needed the cap room.  This would result in a Jets team that, like most playoff contending teams, would be spending close to if not at the cap, carrying little or nothing to next year, 

To me, the key driver of that decision is whether Clark, or maybe Lewis, can step in and play RG.  Feeney or GVR are not stepping in that role in a way that will not result in a "weak link" that, to me, would throw the Jets out of playoff contention in the best circumstances.  Smart teams will put their best pass rusher over RG and have at it.  

My inclination would be to NOT write any big contracts, cut Crowder and let him play for a contender while trying to develop another WR, and keep Lewis to prevent ZW from getting killed.  

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Seriously, not getting a 4th round rookie even one snap in a game after he returned to practice at the end of October at a position that was a nightmare for the team during a season that was a complete cluster**** is totally inexcusable. 

I would be curious as to a comparison between Gase and other coaches as to number of rookie snaps for players not selected in the first 2 rounds. 

He was stuck in Gase's purgatory.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Bronx said:

He was stuck in Gase's purgatory.

Well we know Gase played favorites, so I'm sure the opposite was true.

After reading how Gase orchestrated Mac's firing following the 2019 draft precisely because of how Mac executed (or failed to execute) the draft, I've wondered if Gase is one of those coaches who tries to show up a GM if the GM goes against his desires when selecting a player. Was Gase petty enough not to play Clark simply because Gase strongly preferred another player at that draft spot? .... To answer my own question, Yeah, I'm pretty sure Gase is that petty.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

After reading how Gase orchestrated Mac's firing following the 2019 draft precisely because of how Mac executed (or failed to execute) the draft, I've wondered if Gase is one of those coaches who tries to show up a GM if the GM goes against his desires when selecting a player. Was Gase petty enough not to play Clark simply because Gase strongly preferred another player at that draft spot? .... To answer my own question, Yeah, I'm pretty sure Gase is that petty.

There is really no logical explanation for the Jets last off season than to believe that JD thinks Clark can be a contributor in 2021.  

Otherwise JD should have been looking for more Gs in the draft-trading up into rd 3, or not drafting slow safeties.  

• Upvote 3
25 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Seriously, not getting a 4th round rookie even one snap in a game after he returned to practice at the end of October at a position that was a nightmare for the team during a season that was a complete cluster**** is totally inexcusable. 

I would be curious as to a comparison between Gase and other coaches as to number of rookie snaps for players not selected in the first 2 rounds. 

Gase should've been canned mid-season -- understandably he had no interest in doing any evaluation work for a 2021 team that he knew he wouldn't be a part of. Problem is, he did what Bowles did and surrounded himself with a sandbag wall of morons and flunkies so that there was no one competent on staff to even be an interim. That won't happen now that the HC reports to the GM.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I have high expections for Clark this season.  Someone had posted an interview with  Duke Manyweather      Becton, and Clark's trainer.  It was mostly about Becton, but at the end of it Manyweather got very excited talking about Clark.  He mentioned how bad the Corvid, and injuries had affected Clark last season,  basacily had no coaching,  and that he is a different guy this year.

Yeah I know, what else is he going to say.  Thing is Clark has some excellent college film.  Can't wait to see him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

I like that in most of the clips in the article, the kid show a bit of a nasty streak in him.

Jets really need that attitude on the team.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Jd drafted Clark last year. Gase  had a strong finish to the season even though it was a weak schedule. So I’m pretty sure gase was in on drafting. Clark. So I doubt he didn’t start Clark because he was not a favorite. Especially since Darnold was getting killed out there. I just think gase is not good at Evaluating talent.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I have no way of knowing how Gase felt about Clark, but he played plenty of rookies last year. In addition to Becton, Mims and Davis, 5th rounder Bryce Hall played a lot once healthy and started the last 7 games of the season.  UDFAs like Bryce Huff, Lamar Jackson and Javelin Guidry all got a lot of PT. 

Maybe Gase was more hesitant to play rookies on offense, or as other have pointed out, he was hurt during TC and the first half of the season.  Small school rookie, changing positions, getting injured during an abbreviated pre-season.  Maybe a redshirt season became part of the plan.

We should learn a lot more about him by the time training camp rolls around.  Would be huge if he can prove he is a starting caliber NFL guard.

• Upvote 2
59 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Based on what? We've seen Edoga play. We haven't seen Clark play. It's silly to make assumptions about a guy who didn't practice in the 2020 offseason and didn't take a single snap of NFL football. 

You answered your own question, a 4th round pick that we did not see play because he could not beat out our utterly awful oline incumbents.

We also do not know if Christian Hackenburg is a good Qb because we have not seen him play.

• Thumb Down 3
9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You answered your own question, a 4th round pick that we did not see play because he could not beat out our utterly awful oline incumbents.

We also do not know if Christian Hackenburg is a good Qb because we have not seen him play.

He was hurt last year, it slowed down his progress. Give the guy a break and have beer, beer.

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Nailed it. I lay this right at the feet of Gase. There was no reason especially once the team was mathematically eliminated not to start him if he was healthy.  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Lith said:

I have no way of knowing how Gase felt about Clark, but he played plenty of rookies last year. In addition to Becton, Mims and Davis, 5th rounder Bryce Hall played a lot once healthy and started the last 7 games of the season.  UDFAs like Bryce Huff, Lamar Jackson and Javelin Guidry all got a lot of PT. 

Maybe Gase was more hesitant to play rookies on offense, or as other have pointed out, he was hurt during TC and the first half of the season.  Small school rookie, changing positions, getting injured during an abbreviated pre-season.  Maybe a redshirt season became part of the plan.

We should learn a lot more about him by the time training camp rolls around.  Would be huge if he can prove he is a starting caliber NFL guard.

Becton was a first rounder so he was going to start no matter who the coach was and if Mims didn't start once healthy, we would have been looking for someone in the field maintenance dept to play flanker. As far as the others, I think it was probably Williams who decided to play them.   

Is it at all possible that the Jets expect Feeney to compete at RG, and could he possibly be an upgrade over GVR?

I like Clark and this is a good thread, but until word leaks out of training camp this Summer that, "Cam Clarke is rotating between the 1's and 2's at RG," I simply can't give his chances at starting anything more than a 10% chance.  The guy hasn't played one single NFL snap and, as stated in the article, he was healthy the second half of the season and the Jets were desperate for a RG.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Is it at all possible that the Jets expect Feeney to compete at RG, and could he possibly be an upgrade over GVR?

Agreed.

The Jets didn't give Feeney $3.5M ($3.0M guaranteed) this year to sit behind GVR.  The hope is that Clark wins the job, but Feeney is the likely fallback plan at this point.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Agreed.

The Jets didn't give Feeney $3.5M ($3.0 guaranteed) this year to sit behind GVR.  The hope is that Clark wins the job, but Feeney is the likely backup plan at this point.

That's kinda how I see it too.  JD doesn't seem like a guy to pay $3.5M for someone to sit on the bench unless it's for a good reason and the guy can backup multiple spots (which Feeney can).  Feeney has backup C ability and we know how much JD likes positional flexibility.... in fact, I think it's a key reason he was willing to go the extra mile and trade up for AVT.  Vera-Tucker isn't only expected to be an elite LG, he will be a high-quality backup LT to Becton which is a critical thing to have.

The question for me is about Alex Lewis.  Does he backup at LG?  Does he compete and win the RG job (despite rarely playing on the right side as far as I know)?  Or, does he get cut (saving the Jets something like $6.8M)?  Now, if he gets hurt or needs to slide over to LT temporarily is Feeney the backup LG who jumps in there?

One thing I'll say about the article and this thread - Calling Cam Clark one of the most important Jets of 2021 is spot on!  He's an X-factor who, if he somehow wins the RG starting spot, probably gets Alex Lewis cut because GVR would then backup both LG and RG.

The interior guys right now seem to be AVT, McGovern, GVR, Lewis, Clark, Feeney, and McDermott right now.  Edoga is listed as the backup for both Becton and Fant at the OT spots (although I think AVT backs up at LT).  No way all of those 7 inside guys above stick.

• Upvote 3
46 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I like Clark and this is a good thread, but until word leaks out of training camp this Summer that, "Cam Clarke is rotating between the 1's and 2's at RG," I simply can't give his chances at starting anything more than a 10% chance.  The guy hasn't played one single NFL snap and, as stated in the article, he was healthy the second half of the season and the Jets were desperate for a RG.

Feeney’s my personal favorite to win the RG job, especially if there was input from the new coaching staff that led to him being brought aboard in the first place. Cam Clark beating him out, I think, would be huge. Definitely want to see last year’s third and fourth rounders in expanded roles this season. 

• Upvote 2