Jump to content

Zac Wilson Vs. Trevor Lawrence


Recommended Posts

I'm still livid that the Jets blew their shot at Trevor Lawrence, but I must admit, Zac Wilson's abilities are intriguing.  I especially like his very quick delivery as compared to the slower, longer throwing motion that Lawrence has.

Anyone care to predict which QB will have the better rookie season ???

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All this negated by their OC being Brian Schottenheimer

Well, whenever I see Lawrence, my body is ready.  Does that clear things up?

It's also worth adding what a luxury to be worried about our QB being as good as the guy that's been touted as the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck. I think based on our history, we should be w

Posted Images

Jets will have a better record, but Lawrence will have a better season. He’s more polished and his body is more nfl ready at this point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kdels62 said:

Wilson will be better than Lawrence at all times. This is gonna come down to Wilson vs Fields.

Interesting take.  Do you see a flaw with Lawrence or do you expect his coaching staff wont put him in a good position to succeed ???

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, THE BARON said:

Interesting take.  Do you see a flaw with Lawrence or do you expect his coaching staff wont put him in a good position to succeed ???

Yes. Elongated throwing motion that requires space in order to create torque for accurate throws. When that space compresses he skies balls and loses accuracy. He faced little pressure over 3 years and unlike Wilson or Fields his performance under pressure is drastically different than his performance in clean pockets.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I'm still livid that the Jets blew their shot at Trevor Lawrence, but I must admit, Zac Wilson's abilities are intriguing.  I especially like his very quick delivery as compared to the slower, longer throwing motion that Lawrence has.

Anyone care to predict which QB will have the better rookie season ???

Tell me more 

B0804074-E509-4031-A1A7-7E70C3F09AD6.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Not trying to be argumentative, but what about Lawrence's body screams NFL ready?  Is is incredibly thin and lanky, recent shoulder surgery etc.

This was one thing in tbe draft buildup that I scratched my head about with Lawrence.  He does not have the build to stand up to NFL beatings any more than Wilson does, but part of his prestige is his ability to run.  Just doesn't add up to me.

I don't think it is his "body" that the pundits say is more NFL ready.   More like his overall game.  For that matter, Mac Jones was said to be even more NFL ready than Lawrence.   Obviously, Mac Joes does not appear to have amazing physical abilities, but he played under center in a pro-set most of the time.  

I think watching Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Jones and Lance progress is going to be the best part of the coming season.  Though, Lance may not see the field until 2022.   

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If they were the Payton brothers Zach would be Payton.  A total football junkie who will know everything and be able to run a very complex O.  Lawrence has that dumb don't give a crap face and attitude that spells performance under pressure and mediocre in most regular season games.  He really reminds me of Eli.  

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Yes. Elongated throwing motion that requires space in order to create torque for accurate throws. When that space compresses he skies balls and loses accuracy. He faced little pressure over 3 years and unlike Wilson or Fields his performance under pressure is drastically different than his performance in clean pockets.

Could very well be.  Not like Lawrence has a wind-up like Tim Tebow, but he does have a longer throwing motion than you would like to see.   Wilson has a super compact, super quick delivery.  He also seems to be able to throw the ball accurately from just about any position or any condition.  There is also a lot more examples on tape of Wilson hitting covered receives vs. what the tape there is on Lawrence.

If Wilson can do in the NFL what he did in college, he will be a very exciting player. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Wit said:

Jets will have a better record, but Lawrence will have a better season. He’s more polished and his body is more nfl ready at this point. 

So Trevor

Born: October 6, 1999 (age 21)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Height: 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)
Weight: 213 lb (97 kg)

  

is more ready then Wilson

Born: August 3, 1999 (age 21)
Draper, Utah
Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Weight: 214 lb (97 kg)

Based on what he's taller??

 

 

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I don't think it is his "body" that the pundits say is more NFL ready.   More like his overall game.  For that matter, Mac Jones was said to be even more NFL ready than Lawrence.   Obviously, Mac Joes does not appear to have amazing physical abilities, but he played under center in a pro-set most of the time.  

I think watching Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Jones and Lance progress is going to be the best part of the coming season.  Though, Lance may not see the field until 2022.   

The post I was quoting stated "body is more NFl ready". That's why I asked. I don't know if any pundits talked about Lawrence physique at all, but I didn't hear it.  Wilson, at least around here, definitely had "durability concerns", comments about his size, frame etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The post I was quoting stated "body is more NFl ready". That's why I asked. I don't know if any pundits talked about Lawrence physique at all, but I didn't hear it.  Wilson, at least around here, definitely had "durability concerns", comments about his size, frame etc.

I think the talk of durability issues with Wilson stems from the shoulder injury he had.  The labrum on his trowing shoulder required surgery.  The word is he had that injury since high school and he finally decided to get surgery on it in 2019.  Seems to be just fine now. He did his best work at BYU after the surgery.  Wilson is also built like a tank from the waist down.  

The Jets brass also seem to be taking his protection seriously as they added a prime piece to the offensive line with their second overall pick in this past draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

QB -- JAX. Lawrence is a superior prospect, has experience (and success) in big stage games.

WEAPONZ -- JAX. Jacksonville's weaponinz have more experience and by every metric are better than the Jets weaponz, which are largely untested and unknown. Jax also has an established running game, nice security blanket for rookie QBs.

SITUATION -- JAX. Jacksonville plays in what appears to be an easier division at this point for 2021.

DEFENSE -- PUSH. Both teams' defenses are likely to suck.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd give almost anything to see the top five QBs selected all bust out.    Just to watch the saps in the media (not here, of course) squirm and spout myriad excuses.  Would be better than watching Sopranos/Mad Men at their peaks.

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'd give almost anything to see the top five QBs selected all bust out.    Just to watch the saps in the media (not here, of course) squirm and spout myriad excuses.  Would be better than watching Sopranos/Mad Men at their peaks.

If Lawrence busts he will probably be considered the biggest bust of all time. He is one of the most pumped up QB prospects ever.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jgb said:

If Lawrence busts he will probably be considered the biggest bust of all time. He is one of the most pumped up QB prospects ever.

I'd buy a new TV just to watch the sweat on "analysts", scouts, HCs and the rest.  Would be unbelievably entertaining.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'd buy a new TV just to watch the sweat on "analysts", scouts, HCs and the rest.  Would be unbelievably entertaining.

It is fun to point out the big whiffs from the experts but I don't think the Mel Kipers of the world are concerned about their misses. We keep watching. They're laughing all the way to the bank win, lose or draw.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yea. That would be great considering one of the five is the Jets QB.  Where do some Jets fans come up with this stuff?  Enjoyment from watching your own team fail?  I want to watch football and I want the Jets to start winning. Seriously, I can't understand trading off 50-60 hours (17 games x 3+ hours) of excitement and football enjoyment for 10 minutes of warped enjoyment  watching Mel Kiper (?) explain why this QB class failed.  I can watch shows like the Sopranos and Mad Men for entertainment any other time than Sundays in the Fall.  

Why take this so seriously?  Do you really think I want it to happen?  That it will happen?  It's just an exercise as to what might be hilarious to watch.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing as the Jets supposedly had Wilson as their #1 guy if we had the #1 pick in this draft this forum would be a blaze if we passed on Lawrence.

Lawrence is the #1 prospect ahead of anyone else but some of us on here stated a LONG time ago that A) Lawrence was not some generational guy and that b) The gap between Lawrence and the other top QBs was not large.

I hope all ya hosers that were cheering for the Pats to beat the Jets are red faced with shame.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Lawrence is too talented to "fail" but I wouldn't be shocked by a slow start. The offense Clemson runs is further from an NFL offense than what Wilson or Fields are used to and I think that coaching staff is a mess. I'm extremely bearish on Urban and Schotty and Darrell Bevell are not the guys I'd call to devleop a young QB.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Seeing as the Jets supposedly had Wilson as their #1 guy if we had the #1 pick in this draft this forum would be a blaze if we passed on Lawrence.

Lawrence is the #1 prospect ahead of anyone else but some of us on here stated a LONG time ago that A) Lawrence was not some generational guy and that b) The gap between Lawrence and the other top QBs was not large.

I hope all ya hosers that were cheering for the Pats to beat the Jets are red faced with shame.

 

Victory lap false start

False Start GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Wilson will be better than Lawrence at all times. This is gonna come down to Wilson vs Fields.

 

So it's...

1A Wilson vs. 1B Fields.... and Lawrence is the 3rd best QB?

 

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

 

So it's...

1A Wilson vs. 1B Fields.... and Lawrence is the 3rd best QB?

 

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Absurd takes get a laugh and are forgotten. But the bump value if they turn out true is forever.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's funny to compare my excitement over learning more about Wilson to my excitement about Darnold in the months after the Jets drafted each of them ..... 

Wilson --- he's a football junkie who loves to watch film and calls his coaches in the wee hours of the morning with play ideas;  he's bigger and more solid then we thought; and relishes taking on a leadership role

Darnold -- his grandfather's name was Dick Hammer and was the Marlboro man; he likes to surf and hang out with his friends;  and Mac liked that his teammates at USC were fond of him 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Savage69 said:

So Trevor

Born: October 6, 1999 (age 21)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Height: 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)
Weight: 213 lb (97 kg)

  

is more ready then Wilson

Born: August 3, 1999 (age 21)
Draper, Utah
Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Weight: 214 lb (97 kg)

Based on what he's taller??

 

 

 

Its ridiculous at this point.  Throw in history and I would love to know where these comments come from.  Is K Murray thick?  L Jackson, a running QB, how thick is he?  How tall is Baker?  How about Brees?  Go back to Tarkington.  Yet Darnold at the so called prototypical size has yet to play a injury free season.  Burrow went down.  

It seems to be the luck of the draw, who gets hit and how that determines who comes through a season injury free.  

Bit crying that R Anderson shouldnt be counted on because his body type predetermined that he would be an injury risk comes to mind 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I'm still livid that the Jets blew their shot at Trevor Lawrence, but I must admit, Zac Wilson's abilities are intriguing.  I especially like his very quick delivery as compared to the slower, longer throwing motion that Lawrence has.

Anyone care to predict which QB will have the better rookie season ???

I dont know why but Lawrence laid back , my sh*t dont stink attitude bugs me. I am deathly afraid that we missed on the next Tom Brady....but i just dont like his disposition.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...