Tim Tebow signs 1 year deal with Jaguars

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Being one of the greatest college players in college football history was probably a claim to fame too.

And are you so thin-skinned and hyper-sensitive that a few click-whoring media talking head "blaming the Jets for ruining his career" really bothers you?  Especially when we (and most people) all know it's not remotely true.

There are literal wife-punching, sexual-assaulting, drunk-driving players in this leagues history that don't get the same degree of ire some aim at Tebow.

Where did I ever say that he's a bad guy? Thin skinned, OK.

He has a beyond weird cult following. The only difference between him and Charles Manson is that Tim Tebow never killed anyone.

OK, I can't wait for the hailstorm from the Tebots that I actually had the nerve to compare Charles Manson to Tim Tebow, haha. Maybe you missed it, but the Jets got completely vilified for wrecking him. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Where did I ever say that he's a bad guy?

2 minutes ago, jetophile said:

The only difference between him and Charles Manson is that Tim Tebow never killed anyone. 

This seems like a normal reaction, sure. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Only in the broken world we live in does that make sense.  Love existed first.  Hate was a corruption of things that love produced.  Love is harder to do than hate but it accomplishes many great things whereas hate doesn't accomplish anything but destruction. 

Why hate anyone?  Compassion is better.  Hitler was beaten constantly as a child and it helped created the monster he became.  Maybe he was a monster at birth (after all, not every child who is abused ends up a monster in adulthood), but being beaten as a child certainly couldn't have helped matters.  Some compassion and love to meet that hatred he faced could have prevented the holocaust.  

The entire living world is a food chain.  We are a primitive tribal animal that operates best when we remove emotion and think.  Love and hate are simply natural instincts that cloud our ability to think rationally. 

Buying a Tim Tebow jersey isn't based on love it's based on tribalism.  No different than buying a Sam Darnold Jersey.  

On 5/21/2021 at 2:13 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Nobody forgets, and certainly no one forgets that play/clip. It was also his first time trying it. By now he's had 8 more years to practice lol.

He's a big name down there and is still a draw, nothing more. We're not signing him (again) so it makes no difference to me, other than I hope he doesn't do something like score his only TD of the year against the Jets. 

It still remains to be seen that he's even going to make the final roster, or if they just cut him and then re-sign him a week later when his whole season won't be guaranteed.

The POS stuff seems a bit strong, though. What'd he do to you that brings up such venom on a personal level? He sucked. BFD we've had hundreds of guys who've sucked other than him. Each isn't a POS because of it. 

I find him creepy, insincere, outrageously arrogant and entitled and yet he has a cult following. It is not even cult like, it is this weirdly obsessive  worship of him that I find unsettling. Has nothing to do with his play. If my stance on him offends someone I am ok with it. He makes my skin crawl and if something really bad about the guy comes out about him I won't be the least bit surprised. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

37 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I find him creepy, insincere, outrageously arrogant and entitled and yet he has a cult following. It is not even cult like, it is this weirdly obsessive  worship of him that I find unsettling. Has nothing to do with his play. If my stance on him offends someone I am ok with it. He makes my skin crawl and if something really bad about the guy comes out about him I won't be the least bit surprised. 

Lighten up Lucifer. Lol

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 4

I find him inauthentic and as annoying as his cultish fanbase. It was annoying to have his Florida fanbase pretend to be Jets fans as much as it was having people who have barely ever watched football proclaim the only reason you could think Tebow was lousy in the NFL was because you hate Christians. Oh boy. 

He was lousy in the NFL but he was a great college QB. 

He's taken his public image and college success and run with them. He's been given an enormous amount of opportunity because the NFL (and to a much lesser extent the MLB) wanted to cash in on his image and make the sport(s) seem more wholesome than it really is. I understand the business aspect of that but it's just another inauthentic aspect to his persona. 

He reminds me of televangelists who are also not among my favorite people. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetophile said:

He has a beyond weird cult following. The only difference between him and Charles Manson is that Tim Tebow never killed anyone.

OK, I can't wait for the hailstorm from the Tebots that I actually had the nerve to compare Charles Manson to Tim Tebow, haha. Maybe you missed it, but the Jets got completely vilified for wrecking him. 

That we know of...

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I find him inauthentic and as annoying as his cultish fanbase. It was annoying to have his Florida fanbase pretend to be Jets fans as much as it was having people who have barely ever watched football proclaim the only reason you could think Tebow was lousy in the NFL was because you hate Christians. Oh boy. 

He was lousy in the NFL but he was a great college QB. 

He's taken his public image and college success and run with them. He's been given an enormous amount of opportunity because the NFL (and to a much lesser extent the MLB) wanted to cash in on his image and make the sport(s) seem more wholesome than it really is. I understand the business aspect of that but it's just another inauthentic aspect to his persona. 

He reminds me of televangelists who are also not among my favorite people. 

The televangelist  comparison is on the nose and I also feel the same way about them that I do towards Tebow. There is a special place in hell for them

53 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I find him inauthentic and as annoying as his cultish fanbase. It was annoying to have his Florida fanbase pretend to be Jets fans......

Like the Marshall Fans and Chad?

And the USC Fans and Sanchez?

And then more USC Fans and Sam?

And now our wonderful resident BYU Fans and Zack?

He's taken his public image and college success and run with them.

Who wouldn't?

He's been given an enormous amount of opportunity because the NFL (and to a much lesser extent the MLB) wanted to cash in on his image and make the sport(s) seem more wholesome than it really is. I understand the business aspect of that but it's just another inauthentic aspect to his persona.

What part is it that you think is "inauthentic"?  Do you think he's really, in secret, screwing hookers and snorting blow off their nipples and driving cars 120 mph and crashing them like normal NFL players do?  

To be clear, I'm not a person of faith, on the contrary I have a deep cynicism and dislike for organized religion, but I'm just hard pressed to see the devious evil Tebow some of you seem to see.  He mostly seems like one of the few legit decent guys in sports, just he's not very good at those sports at the Pro level. 

Hard to fault him for taking the opportunities he is given, even if for the teams it's a pure business decision.  Hate to break it to you, but most decisions teams make are in fact business decisions too.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Who wouldn't?

What part is it that you think is "inauthentic"?  Do you think he's really, in secret, screwing hookers and snorting blow off their nipples and driving cars 120 mph and crashing them like normal NFL players do?  

To be clear, I'm not a person of faith, on the contrary I have a deep cynicism and dislike for organized religion, but I'm just hard pressed to see the devious evil Tebow some of you seem to see.  He mostly seems like one of the few legit decent guys in sports, just he's not very good at those sports at the Pro level. 

Hard to fault him for taking the opportunities he is given, even if for the teams it's a pure business decision.  Hate to break it to you, but most decisions teams make are in fact business decisions too.

It's not some sort of Schaudenfraude if he gets busted in a hooker hotel/gay bar. Are you his Mom who didn't abort him or something.

34 minutes ago, jetophile said:

It's not some sort of Schaudenfraude if he gets busted in a hooker hotel/gay bar. Are you his Mom who didn't abort him or something.

Nope, not even a fan of his tbqh.

I just think some folks are being a bit psychotic about the guy.  Trying to figure out why the overly-vocal few have so much excessive vitriol, as it seems entirely misguided, unwarranted and hyperbolic to me.  Especially now, with him in Jacksonville.

For example, you seem to be almost desperate for him to be exposed, to "get busted in a gay bar", which maybe says more about you than it does Tebow.  /shrug.

No worries mate, you do you, abortion jokes and all.  No skin off my back.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Nope, not even a fan of his tbqh.

I just think some folks are being a bit psychotic about the guy.  Trying to figure out why the overly-vocal few have so much excessive vitriol, as it seems entirely misguided, unwarranted and hyperbolic to me.  Especially now, with him in Jacksonville.

For example, you seem to be almost desperate for him to be exposed, to "get busted in a gay bar", which maybe says more about you than it does Tebow.  /shrug.

No worries mate, you do you, abortion jokes and all.  No skin off my back.

I don't have any "excessive vitriol". What I do have is appropriate derision over Tim Tebow's time here, which was mostly a horrendous marketing decision.

I will always do me. No worries.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It’s not even remotely close, and you know it. This is a so-called professional athlete who’s had zero success as a pro, and yet has the best selling NFL shops jersey at 33 years old while trying out a new position. His cult following is legitimately frightening. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Do you think he's really, in secret, screwing hookers and snorting blow off their nipples and driving cars 120 mph and crashing them like normal NFL players do?  

I want that guys Jersey.  He knows how to have a good time. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, jetophile said:

Right but disliking his following and disliking the guy himself are two different things, no?  Is it all his fault lots of people follow him, many of which to a creepy level?

I love Jesus but there are a lot of Christians I don't like.  Granted, I don't love Tebow, I'm merely OK with him.  But still, my point stands.

Now, if Tebow DOES turn out to be a phony/corrupt televangelist like a lot of people here are proposing, I will no longer like him.  But I'm not going to ASSUME that is the case with Tebow until something comes out about it. 

Everything I've read is he seems like a genuinely nice, caring guy, and those who have talked to him in person say he actually listens to you like you're the only person in the room he came to talk to.  If there are reports contrary to this, I would gladly read them and re-assess my opinion of the guy accordingly.

1 hour ago, slats said:

It’s not even remotely close, and you know it. This is a so-called professional athlete who’s had zero success as a pro, and yet has the best selling NFL shops jersey at 33 years old while trying out a new position. His cult following is legitimately frightening. 

As opposed to illegitimately frightening? 

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right but disliking his following and disliking the guy himself are two different things, no?  Is it all his fault lots of people follow him, many of which to a creepy level?

I love Jesus but there are a lot of Christians I don't like.  Granted, I don't love Tebow, I'm merely OK with him.  But still, my point stands.

Now, if Tebow DOES turn out to be a phony/corrupt televangelist like a lot of people here are proposing, I will no longer like him.  But I'm not going to ASSUME that is the case with Tebow until something comes out about it. 

Everything I've read is he seems like a genuinely nice, caring guy, and those who have talked to him in person say he actually listens to you like you're the only person in the room he came to talk to.  If there are reports contrary to this, I would gladly read them and re-assess my opinion of the guy accordingly.

Belief in virgin births and zombies should never be an automatic measuring stick and a free pass as to the content of someone's character. 

17 hours ago, jetophile said:

Belief in virgin births and zombies should never be an automatic measuring stick and a free pass as to the content of someone's character. 

I just said in my post that all reports I've read say he's genuinely a nice, kind, and good guy.  Thought I made that clear.  I am not suggesting that his decision to become a Christian made him a good person automatically, nor does it do that for anyone.  I just am going on what I've read about him; people saying he really is a good person. 

There are tons of nice atheists and jerk Christians.  I never will argue otherwise, and I'm a Christian.  I chose to follow Jesus in part because I was a sh*tty, broken person and wanted to be better.  Lot's of atheists and agnostics were better people than me at the time and many/most still are.  But I'm trying to do better each day.