Zach at the Islanders game

53 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

My point is Geno sucked, was an @$$hhole, and was the complete opposite of anything resembling a team leader. Zach is shooting to be everything Geno was never.

Agreed there.

Appreciated him wanting to earn his role as a player, starter & teammate as soon as the draft ended. Working out with his fellow rookies, sticking around NY & getting accommodated to the lifestyle and fully embracing his new home. That’s a thoughtful employee who really puts premium value on making things work from a communication standpoint.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Lith said:

Speaking for myself, I grew up in the late 60s/70s on Long Island.  My parents were not big sports fans -- they took me to see the Mets and Jets becasue it was more convenient than a trip to the Bronx. Mets/Jets became my teams.  And until 72, the Rangers were the only team in town. Rooted for both teams for the first couple of seasons after the Isles were formed.  But as I went to more and more Isles games in an arena that was 20 minutes from home.  And for $3 a ticket.  (Nets were the cheap ticket at $2.75).  The isles became my team.

Or they just won four cups in a row. You can admit it, it’s ok, you’re an 80s bandwagoner. Most islanders fan are. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Dont think I'm the misguided one here. Even a simple cursory search on the interwebs can back that statement up, but here you go...

https://medium.com/basketball-university/the-nba-is-in-trouble-can-adam-silver-revive-the-league-4414403fc1e0

You got it, man. I didn’t click the link, but I’ll settle on taking your word for it, gotta be honest, right or wrong, I don’t really care enough to challenge you on whether other people enjoy the NBA or not, & certainly not enough to continue with a counter point. I enjoy the hell of out it, as well as many people I know. 

it’s well understood that you don’t like it. You quote me every time I bring the NBA up. Hard to forget.

10 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Or they just won four cups in a row. You can admit it, it’s ok, you’re an 80s bandwagoner. Most islanders fan are. 

Nope.  I was there in the mid-70s.  Going to games when Billy Harris was the leading scorer and Gerry Desjardins split time in net with Billy Smith.  Remember the game in 75 or 76, when JP Parise scored in OT to beat the Rangers in the playoffs.  I was all in on the Islanders then.  Suffered throughthe playoff loss to Mike Palmateer and the Maple Leafs, and then losing to the Rangers in 79 before we went on the Cup run.  I am not and never have been a bandwagon fan.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Whee do you get your stats from?

You really think I didnt just make that number up? It's not about the number being exact, you're missing the point. 

People just dont give a sh*t about the NBA anymore and the viewership backs that statement up. It has been in decline for about a decade+. Its not going to go under, but the popularity certainly isnt there/where it should be.

Political opinions aside, they would be in very big trouble if China stopped watching. 

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

You really think I didnt just make that number up? It's not about the number being exact, you're missing the point. 

People just dont give a sh*t about the NBA anymore and the viewership backs that statement up. It has been in decline for about a decade+. Its not going to go under, but the popularity certainly isnt there/where it should be.

Political opinions aside, they would be in very big trouble if China stopped watching. 

I thought China banned it, or was that just the rockets. 

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Nope.  I was there in the mid-70s.  Going to games when Billy Harris was the leading scorer and Gerry Desjardins split time in net with Billy Smith.  Remember the game in 75 or 76, when JP Parise scored in OT to beat the Rangers in the playoffs.  I was all in on hte Islanders then.  Suffered throughthe playoff loss to Mike Palmateer and the Maple Leafs, and then losing to the Rangers in 79 before we went on the Cup run.  I am not and never have been a bandwagon fan.

Likely story. I’ve heard this one many times. 

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You got it, man. I didn’t click the link, but I’ll settle on taking your word for it, gotta be honest, right or wrong, I don’t really care enough to challenge you on whether other people enjoy the NBA or not, & certainly not enough to continue with a counter point. I enjoy the hell of out it, as well as many people I know. 

it’s well understood that you don’t like it. You quote me every time I bring the NBA up. Hard to forget.

Do I? Hell I don't remember talking about the NBA on here but maybe a couple times in 3 years or so? 

I dont doubt that you and millions enjoy it, and I'm certainly not attempting to disrespect you for it, so I apologize. But it's not a huge secret that it's in massive decline in regards to viewership. 

8 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Do I? Hell I don't remember talking about the NBA on here but maybe a couple times in 3 years or so? 

I dont doubt that you and millions enjoy it, and I'm certainly not attempting to disrespect you for it, so I apologize. But it's not a huge secret that it's in massive decline in regards to viewership. 

No need to apologize, all good on my end and I was pretty sure it was you lol but now maybe not. Idk, someone here always makes it a solid point to cry about how the NBA sucks.(not saying you are) 

I don’t doubt the downward spiral from a statistical standpoint though. The NBA is bold and controversial at times & it can rub people the wrong way. It just doesn’t feel like that when you go online though, because there’s so many places to discuss basketball between a sports forum, Twitter, IG or any other social media outlet. I guess when you look at the big picture every American sport gets the same amount of outside attention and it’s all the same in actuality.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

No need to apologize, all good on my end and I was pretty sure it was you lol but now maybe not. Idk, someone here always makes it a solid point to cry about how the NBA sucks.(not saying you are) 

I don’t doubt the downward spiral from a statistical standpoint though. The NBA is bold and controversial at times & it can rub people the wrong way. It just doesn’t feel like that when you go online though, because there’s so many places to discuss basketball between a sports forum, Twitter, IG or any other social media outlet. I guess when you look at the big picture every American sport gets the same amount of outside attention and it’s all the same in actuality.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it wasnt me, I think the only time I've ever brought it up was talking about jersey sales but I could be wrong, hell idk.

I'm more fascinated with the numbers and data of these things as opposed to the ideology of why there may be a decline. It SHOULD be more popular than it is, especially when you rewind to the 80s and compare to the NFL's growth rate. From a numbers standpoint it doesnt make much sense that the viewership is what it is today. 

That's the point where the conversation goes into why, but theres so many varying factors it's basically a pointless argument. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Speaking for myself, I grew up in the late 60s/70s on Long Island.  My parents were not big sports fans -- they took me to see the Mets and Jets becasue it was more convenient than a trip to the Bronx. Mets/Jets became my teams.  And until 72, the Rangers were the only team in town. Rooted for both teams for the first couple of seasons after the Isles were formed.  But as I went to more and more Isles games in an arena that was 20 minutes from home.  And for $3 a ticket.  (Nets were the cheap ticket at $2.75).  The isles became my team.

I grew up a Jets and Yankees fan (Mostly in South Florida) in a house where my parents both became Dolphins fans when we moved here, my Mom grew up a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, and my Dad was a (baseball) Giants fan. 

I'm so strange. 

44 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I think it's more a case where the popularity of the NFL has grown leaps and bounds while all the other major sports have softened (but baseball and hockey far more than basketball). 

This Gallup poll data is interesting:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/224864/football-americans-favorite-sport-watch.aspx

Viewership across non-football has plummeted though the monoculture in basketball is vibrant these days and i thought their bubble last year did a great job capitalizing on the dearth of live sports. 

Basketball and Baseball both suffer from long seasons that make individual game results feel meaningless a lot of the time. However, after the NFL and CFP, March Madness (where you have a high concentration of meaningful games) is itself one of the biggest media tentpoles of the year and amongst the most expensive media. 

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

TV viewership.  NBA's TV ratings are in decline(like most other sports).  That doesn't mean it's losing popularity.  I'm not an NBA guy by any stretch, but the average NBA fan isn't the 47 year old from Albany who still consumes all of their TV through the traditional measures.  The NBA has a massive social media following.  People consume media in so many ways that TV ratings are just a all slice of the pie.

Yup. 

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm always interested in New York fan geography (honestly).  Is Long Island more a Jets or Giants area?  In my head I picture lots of Jets/Mets/Islanders combos.

Islanders are a wild card with geography because they’ve only been around since 72.

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

TV viewership.  NBA's TV ratings are in decline(like most other sports).  That doesn't mean it's losing popularity.  I'm not an NBA guy by any stretch, but the average NBA fan isn't the 47 year old from Albany who still consumes all of their TV through the traditional measures.  The NBA has a massive social media following.  People consume media in so many ways that TV ratings are just a small slice of the pie.

I'm talking about total viewership ratings, not tv. They track them all. 

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Lakers/Warriors had 6.1M viewers and started at 10:30pm EST.

And? Is that a defense lol?

Say it ain't so, the two most popular NBA teams had 6.1 mil viewers at 7:30pm local time. That's weak. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

And? Is that a defense lol?

Say it ain't so, the two most popular NBA teams had 6.1 mil viewers at 7:30pm local time. That's weak. 

I’m not a huge NBA guy, but stories of its demise are overstated and typically from people hoping for it for political reasons.

• Upvote 2