Zach at the Islanders game

11 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Islanders are a wild card with geography because they’ve only been around since 72.

This is an interesting tidbit.  I had no idea they were that "new".  Lead me down a bit if a rabbit hole about the NHL as I basically only watch casually during the playoffs and no other time.  The Islanders are young in terms of real time, but the NHL as a whole is incredibly young.  Shocked me to see teams like Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg(original version) were only around from the late 70s.  Did not expect that. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, TeddEY said:

I’m not a huge NBA guy, but stories of its demise are overstated and typically from people hoping for it for political reasons.

Now go look at the viewership of a Hornets/Magic game and we'll talk. I'm not an NBA guy either but I certainly used to be. 

I never said it was going to fold or stop operating, or even should, but it SHOULD be more popular than it is and have larger viewership than it currently does, it doesnt. Speculate however you like as to why. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Now go look at the viewership of a Hornets/Magic game and we'll talk. I'm not an NBA guy either but I certainly used to be. 

I never said it was going to fold or stop operating, or even should, but it SHOULD be more popular than it is and have larger viewership than it currently does, it doesnt. Speculate however you like as to why. 

You straight lying that you used to be a true NBA fan lmao. 

Could already tell what type of fan you were so no worries lol. You wish the NBA was hurtin don’t lie we know the truth my guy 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Be_a_Jet said:

You straight lying that you used to be a true NBA fan lmao. 

Could already tell what type of fan you were so no worries lol. You wish the NBA was hurtin don’t lie we know the truth my guy 

Am I straight lyin homie? Dawg? Have anything of substance to add in regards to the ratings? No? Why? 

Oh, it's because theres nothing you can read anywhere that says viewership is up. Even before all 2020 threw in the way. 

What even constitutes a "true" NBA fan? Get outta here with that nonsense. I watched Pacers games up until Miller retired, then completely lost interest. Why? Maybe because small market teams in the NBA struggle immensely and makes it less entertaining. Small markets are just farm teams for the top teams now. It didnt used to be like that. 

33 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I'm talking about total viewership ratings, not tv. They track them all. 

I was confused.  The article you linked to support your point is talking about TV ratings so I just assumed you were too.

All platform viewership and engagements are tracked to a certain extent, that is true.    There is no such thing as "total viewership" however where those cross platform numbers are rolled into 1 neat and tidy package.  The NBA leads all pro sports in digital views.  Maybe the USA has little to no contribution to that, but that seems far fetched.

Believe what you want, it's not important one way or the other, and I have zero skin in the game because I'm far from a huge NBA fan.  That said I don't think you are as educated on the nuances of the subject as you think.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I was confused.  The article you linked to support your point is talking about TV ratings so I just assumed you were too.

All platform viewership and engagements are tracked to a certain extent, that is true.    There is no such thing as "total viewership" however where those cross platform numbers are rolled into 1 neat and tidy package.  The NBA leads all pro sports in digital views.  Maybe the USA has little to no contribution to that, but that seems far fetched.

Believe what you want, it's not important one way or the other, and I have zero skin in the game because I'm far from a huge NBA fan.  That said I don't think you are as educated on the nuances of the subject as you think.

I used it as a reference. Nobody has brought a single verifiable source on the NBAs viewership being up in any capacity, even prior to the excuse of 2020... because you cant find it. It did not happen. Edit: I'm talking overall viewership. 

You can throw a rock into the internet and hit 10,000 articles from any number of sources about their viewership being down every year for a long time. 

11 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Am I straight lyin homie? Dawg? Have anything of substance to add in regards to the ratings? No? Why? 

Oh, it's because theres nothing you can read anywhere that says viewership is up. Even before all 2020 threw in the way. 

What even constitutes a "true" NBA fan? Get outta here with that nonsense. I watched Pacers games up until Miller retired, then completely lost interest. Why? Maybe because small market teams in the NBA struggle immensely and makes it less entertaining. Small markets are just farm teams for the top teams now. It didnt used to be like that. 

Lotta energy, I love it. Coulda guessed you were a Pacers fan tbh. 

If you stayed a Jets fan through their garbage in a big market ,  The Pacers have been way more entertaining so I don’t see your point. Pacers have had really great players and comparatively been way more competitive than the Jets.  

You got Utah, Phoenix and Denver leading the West. You see what you want to see homie! It’s okay, don’t worry!! 

22 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Lotta energy, I love it. Coulda guessed you were a Pacers fan tbh. 

If you stayed a Jets fan through their garbage in a big market ,  The Pacers have been way more entertaining so I don’t see your point. Pacers have had really great players and comparatively been way more competitive than the Jets.  

You got Utah, Phoenix and Denver leading the West. You see what you want to see homie! It’s okay, don’t worry!! 

I love how you left out my boys

44E8C874-98B6-4723-BAB0-69244EA72B67.jpeg

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

You'll never get through to him bc there is an obvious agenda. The biggest issues for the NBA ratings is that it's on TNT.

11 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Islanders are a wild card with geography because they’ve only been around since 72.

Exactly.  I was a hockey fan because of my father, a Ranger fan before the islanders were founded.  I have cousins in the same boat but they lived in LI while I was in Brooklyn.  I remained a Ranger fan they adopted the Islanders.  A Mets fan because my father was a huge Dodger fan who hated the Yankees.  So I was Jets, Mets, Rangers, Knicks.  

10 hours ago, TeddEY said:

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nba-social-media-video-views-tv-ratings

Report: NBA season sets digital media records amid TV slump

Basketball league sees total video views for 2019/20 climb 17% to 20bn.

Thats "video views". So that's mostly people watching clips on Twitter, Instagram, Youtube etc. It's not people watching full games though so it's a little misleading. I'm no NBA fan but I have found myself watching a bunch of clips on Instagram.

What does this mean for the NBA? Who knows but there are most certainly less people investing time to watch the game as a whole. 

Basketball is healthy because the demographics are what you want in a sport, young men who will spend and stay with the NBA.  This younger fanbase will access the games beyond the normal TV viewership, I'd bet digital media viewership is much higher than with the other major sports.  So the reliance on TV numbers to prove or disprove of the leagues popularity is wrong.  

The NBA isnt the NFL and never will be but its not losing popularity, its gaining it

• Upvote 1

So my takeaway is that if Zach attends a hockey game in May, the NBA will disavow any knowledge of China taking part in covert basketball games thus creating an insurgency that will overthrow the current chief of state allowing for the NBA to broadcast its propaganda to the ignorant misguided masses of Rangers fans seeking Zach's autograph ???

Am I caught up on this thread now ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Lith said:

Speaking for myself, I grew up in the late 60s/70s on Long Island.  My parents were not big sports fans -- they took me to see the Mets and Jets becasue it was more convenient than a trip to the Bronx. Mets/Jets became my teams.  And until 72, the Rangers were the only team in town. Rooted for both teams for the first couple of seasons after the Isles were formed.  But as I went to more and more Isles games in an arena that was 20 minutes from home.  And for $3 a ticket.  (Nets were the cheap ticket at $2.75).  The isles became my team.

Grew up in Smithtown. Graduated HS in 85. Friends dad knew Bobby nystrom.    Really felt like our guys 

13 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

TV viewership.  NBA's TV ratings are in decline(like most other sports).  That doesn't mean it's losing popularity.  I'm not an NBA guy by any stretch, but the average NBA fan isn't the 47 year old from Albany who still consumes all of their TV through the traditional measures.  The NBA has a massive social media following.  People consume media in so many ways that TV ratings are just a small slice of the pie.

The NBA's popularity has decreased pretty dramatically from the peak Jordan era. Granted they have a massie TV contract propping them up and will probably get another- but the actual eyeballs are down a lot.

1 hour ago, bgivs21 said:

Thats "video views". So that's mostly people watching clips on Twitter, Instagram, Youtube etc. It's not people watching full games though so it's a little misleading. I'm no NBA fan but I have found myself watching a bunch of clips on Instagram.

What does this mean for the NBA? Who knows but there are most certainly less people investing time to watch the game as a whole. 

I don’t think anyone was saying it was full games.  More so that watching full games on tv is no longer the only, or preferred option.

• Upvote 1