Zach at the Islanders game

26 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don’t think anyone was saying it was full games.  More so that watching full games on tv is no longer the only, or preferred option.

My overall point is that toting video views as a positive metric is puzzling in my mind because it's not really full games (obviously agree with you in regards to tv no longer the only option.) 

Like, how does it benefit the NBA if I, someone who's not an avid viewer, watch some clips on Instagram? 

I'm saying this because the money comes from these huge TV deals the NBA made with ESPN ABC etc. So TV ratings being down drastically is a big deal when it comes time to renegotiate the TV deals and bring in that huge money. 

14 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

My overall point is that toting video views as a positive metric is puzzling in my mind because it's not really full games (obviously agree with you in regards to tv no longer the only option.) 

Like, how does it benefit the NBA if I, someone who's not an avid viewer, watch some clips on Instagram? 

I'm saying this because the money comes from these huge TV deals the NBA made with ESPN ABC etc. So TV ratings being down drastically is a big deal when it comes time to renegotiate the TV deals and bring in that huge money. 

Touting and presenting are different things.  If you're going to say that the NBA is no longer a compelling product and the overwhelming majority of people are no longer interested, then I think large, and increasing digital engagement refutes that.

I don't know exactly how the NBA montetizes their social media engagement.  What I can tell you is that my 2-year-old son is sitting right next to me watching YouTube videos from a guy who calls himself "Blippi."  He's an atrocious performer, is only on YouTube, and basically runs around in different environments kids find interesting (play gyms, aquariums, fire houses, farms) wearing oranges glasses, orange suspenders, an orange bow tie, and a blue and orange hat, dancing and playing with toys or construction equipment or whatever.

He has an estimated net worth of twenty million dollars.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Agreed there.

Appreciated him wanting to earn his role as a player, starter & teammate as soon as the draft ended. Working out with his fellow rookies, sticking around NY & getting accommodated to the lifestyle and fully embracing his new home. That’s a thoughtful employee who really puts premium value on making things work from a communication standpoint.

My point exactly. Geno Smith was a complete sh*thead scumbag. And before someone tries to counter with some dumb argument like he hasn't killed anyone like Aaron Hernandez did, he was a locker room CANCER. There's something about that truly puts you in the lowest of low places.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Touting and presenting are different things.  If you're going to say that the NBA is no longer a compelling product and the overwhelming majority of people are no longer interested, then I think large, and increasing digital engagement refutes that.

I don't know exactly how the NBA montetizes their social media engagement.  What I can tell you is that my 2-year-old son is sitting right next to me watching YouTube videos from a guy who calls himself "Blippi."  He's an atrocious performer, is only on YouTube, and basically runs around in different environments kids find interesting (play gyms, aquariums, fire houses, farms) wearing oranges glasses, orange suspenders, an orange bow tie, and a blue and orange hat, dancing and playing with toys or construction equipment or whatever.

My two year old is obsessed with his videos too. It's awful, but the guy has excellent SEO. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Just because you have digital engagement doesn't mean it translates to interest for the product or more importantly money. Again, think of how many people like me that might watch a couple clips on Insta, youtube, twitter. You're not really getting any ad revenue from me. 

Also I have heard of Blippi they talked about him on Boomer and Gio awhile ago. I could be mistaken but if he has people skipping ads he doesn't make any money off that. But his whole product is on YT whereas what the NBA puts there are just clips. 

What I'm trying to ultimately say is that it all comes down to people who seek out the game and are willing to pay to watch whether thats on cable or via amazon, apple tv etc. For the NBA getting views on highlights/clips across digital platforms is great because that's how you get someone interested in the game/product in the hopes they will pay for one of these services to watch your games. But it is definitely concerning for the NBA if viewership is down because big money comes from companies paying the NBA for the right to broadcast their games. 

40 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Just because you have digital engagement doesn't mean it translates to interest for the product or more importantly money. Again, think of how many people like me that might watch a couple clips on Insta, youtube, twitter. You're not really getting any ad revenue from me. 

Also I have heard of Blippi they talked about him on Boomer and Gio awhile ago. I could be mistaken but if he has people skipping ads he doesn't make any money off that. But his whole product is on YT whereas what the NBA puts there are just clips. 

What I'm trying to ultimately say is that it all comes down to people who seek out the game and are willing to pay to watch whether thats on cable or via amazon, apple tv etc. For the NBA getting views on highlights/clips across digital platforms is great because that's how you get someone interested in the game/product in the hopes they will pay for one of these services to watch your games. But it is definitely concerning for the NBA if viewership is down because big money comes from companies paying the NBA for the right to broadcast their games. 

What I’m saying is that if Blippi can figure out how to make 20M, there are likely very smart people at the NBA who can monetize the digital engagement.

As per Forbes, the Memphis Grizzlies (ranked 30/30) are worth 1.3B.  Hard to maintain that if they’re not making big money, no?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

What I’m saying is that if Blippi can figure out how to make 20M, there are likely very smart people at the NBA who can monetize the digital engagement.

As per Forbes, the Memphis Grizzlies (ranked 30/30) are worth 1.3B.  Hard to maintain that if they’re not making big money, no?

But that big money is coming off of TV deals not from YT or other digital platforms. The last one they signed was 24 billion for 9 years. I read someplace they're going to be looking for 70-75 billion over 9 years again. Thats in addition to the 1.3 billion with Tencent in China. Those are incredible numbers, right behind the NFL. The problem is if you have declining viewership of the games themselves, which is absolutely happening, it's tougher to negotiate with these companies

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

People make tons of money from YouTube. I just watched highlights from the Nets/Celtics and Blazers/Nuggets this morning and they had ads attached -- there's no question at all the NBA generates revenue from social media engagement.

Did you skip the ads? What if you watched it on Instagram or Twitter, theres no ad revenue there. I'm not saying they don't make some revenue but it's dwarfed by the money they make off of their TV deals. Like I said in another post, they are going to look for 70-75 billion over 9 years from ESPN, ANC Turner to broadcast those games. 

50 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Their worth is tied to the TV contract. Disney prints money and along with China they are propping the league up. As long as the NBA has them as partners, the franchises will be worth a lot of money. I do not think the NBA is overly popular anymore either.

I haven’t watched an entire non-NFL sporting event in about two years. COVID year watered down every result so I couldn’t care less about any particular game—everything felt like a scrimmage. I do find it interesting that MLB is now the sport in the most trouble, though. The NHL isn’t, and has never been, a major sport, so it’s hard to tell if their viewership is fading because nobody talks about the league anyway. 

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm curious how old you guys are who think the NBA is declining in popularity.

NFL is king by a mile but I think the NBA is an easy number two in American pro sports leagues.

MLB feels like it's slowly dying and NHL has never been on the level.

We don’t have to argue about anything.  The indisputable numbers are out there

My point exactly. Geno Smith was a complete sh*thead scumbag. And before someone tries to counter with some dumb argument like he hasn't killed anyone like Aaron Hernandez did, he was a locker room CANCER. There's something about that truly puts you in the lowest of low places.
For me it's all because of his position as QB... that position REQUIRES leadership ... and he failed with high fashion in that regard.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

For me it's all because of his position as QB... that position REQUIRES leadership ... and he failed with high fashion in that regard.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

In this case scenario totally agree with you.

https://sportsshow.net/most-popular-sports-in-america/

Wiki:

Sport Favorite sport Major professional league
American football 37% NFL
Basketball 11% NBA
Baseball 9% MLB
Soccer 7% MLS

Sport Major  league TV viewing record Favourite sport declared (source: Gallup)
American football NFL 111.9m 37%
Baseball/Softball MLB 40.0m 9%
Basketball NBA 24.4m 11%
Ice hockey NHL 27.6m 4%
Soccer MLS 27.3m 7%

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm curious how old you guys are who think the NBA is declining in popularity.

I mean their tv ratings have been bad. Compared to the Jordan era the popularity now isn't even close. The TV contract and ESPN has kept the league relevant, it's just not getting watched.

2 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

But that big money is coming off of TV deals not from YT or other digital platforms. The last one they signed was 24 billion for 9 years. I read someplace they're going to be looking for 70-75 billion over 9 years again. Thats in addition to the 1.3 billion with Tencent in China. Those are incredible numbers, right behind the NFL. The problem is if you have declining viewership of the games themselves, which is absolutely happening, it's tougher to negotiate with these companies

Accurate.  Also, why the NBA cow tows to the protectionism of communist China.  Complete hypocrites!

On 5/22/2021 at 4:47 PM, Beerfish said:

I hope Zach loves feeny and fant as much after 4 or 5 games as he does now.

You have it reversed.  Feeney and Fant are going to love Wilson, because unlike Darnold, he probably has a better ability to make a pre-snap read.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You have it reversed.  Feeney and Fant are going to love Wilson, because unlike Darnold, he probably has a better ability to make a pre-snap read.  

The odds are 90% that Wilson is better than Darnold. Same is true of any first round QB because Sam is an epic bust with basically no redeeming qualities. Well except he’s a good boy.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Completely foreseeable based on his me-first attitude at the draft.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right I forgot, Darnold made the Pro bowl jets oline just look bad.  He also made the Wrs, RBs and Adam Gase look poor as well.

At least we do not have to worry about that anymore.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Right I forgot, Darnold made the Pro bowl jets oline just look bad.  He also made the Wrs, RBs and Adam Gase look poor as well.

At least we do not have to worry about that anymore.

Correct, Sam Darnold made everyone around him look worse than they are, because that's what bad QB's do.  He took a bad team and made it worse. 

Meanwhile, that same offense looked competent with the corpse of Joe Flacco under center.  You know, the one "NO ONE COULDA SUCCEEDED WITH".

I miss when you were a strong poster.

19 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I mean their tv ratings have been bad. Compared to the Jordan era the popularity now isn't even close. The TV contract and ESPN has kept the league relevant, it's just not getting watched.

Compared to the 90s all TV (with the exception of the NFL) is down.

There are just more options.

19 hours ago, JetsRay said:

Accurate.  Also, why the NBA cow tows to the protectionism of communist China.  Complete hypocrites!

Sports make money by selling stuff.   Those middle class Commie bastards buying stuff from US companies create profits that go to US shareholders and pension funds.  I suspect the NBA follows US law and the laws of every country they sell stuff to including broadcast rights that they profit from.  It's called Capitalism.  That's American as apple strudel.