Are we really going to start the season with zero pro experience at the QB spot?

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

JetBlue Airlines, or JBLU on the Nasdaq, has a market cap value of 6.1 Billion. That 57 million from Eddie V's humble seafood business is just alright. And as we all know, "just alright doesn't fly around here."

Have a wonderful day and remember to take flight with JetBlue! 

??✈️

Which has nothing to do with Z Wilson.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Doesn't matter what the question is. The answer is "Gardner Minshew."

Gardner Minshew shares photos of his glorious new look with the mullet -  Article - Bardown

For a guy who thinks FQBs are superheroes who need no support on the field, and who regularly dismisses so-called JAGs and their fans at every opportunity, this is a really odd post. 

I mean, really odd. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Bit would never approve of Foles rich family and all..

Nick Foles has earned an impressive amount of money for someone who is under 30 years old. However in his family he not even close to being the top bread winner. He was born into a very rich family because his father is a multimillionaire from his successes in his restaurant business. He co-founded Eddie V's Prime Seafood and sold it for a whopping $59 million in 2011. Foles has been wealthy his entire life and he might have needed to fall back on some of that dough if he did not get reinserted as the eagles starter this season. Foles fell off of the map after his one amazing season with the Eagles early in his career. He was then traded to the Rams and was a major disappointment there. After Carson Wentz went down many people thought the Eagles were doomed, but he has lead the team to two victories in his absence.

Uh, didn't he also win the Super Bowl by out dueling the "GOAT" Tom Brady in the fourth quarter?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, dbatesman said:

In the larger sense, yes, but what if we start 6-2 and then Wilson sprains his knee and has to miss a month? You comfortable rolling Morgan out there to go 0-4 in that stretch?

Exactly, Time to change gears back to trying to win 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

For a guy who thinks FQBs are superheroes who need no support on the field, and who regularly dismisses so-called JAGs and their fans at every opportunity, this is a really odd post. 

I mean, really odd. 

Thanks for the shout out. We are talking about a QB2 FYI. Trubisky was my first choice—I see Tannehill lite in him (another one I called). Minshew would be one of the better QB2s in the league — he’s even better than some starters (ex. Panthers) — with a modicum of upside. Unlike Flacco’s corpse or the bums you’re advocating for.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I, too, think it’s great that the Jets are going into another season without an NFL caliber QB on the roster

It’s possible but this is what teams without a FQB must do: take a shot and give him a roll. If Wilson hasn’t got it I hope Jets move on faster than 3 seasons. 

The strongest view is that a team needs a back up qb to win some games and stay in the playoff hunt.  The Jets will not be that close.  So they are not spending the money on a back up Qb 

I heard someone say they we needed a good back up an to help evaluate the players if Wilson went down. I buy that. 

Hopefully someone frees up 

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

The strongest view is that a team needs a back up qb to win some games and stay in the playoff hunt.  The Jets will not be that close.  So they are not spending the money on a back up Qb 

I heard someone say they we needed a good back up an to help evaluate the players if Wilson went down. I buy that. 

Hopefully someone frees up 

Agree on evaluation front and have said it. Also agree “steady-JAG” is not what Jets should look for in a QB2 even though they probably will. Give me a guy with some — Hell any — upside.

12 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

The cockiness of JD sneaking up again as one of his weaknesses. We need a veteran. God for bod Zach gets hurt this season will go south quickly with no plan b

Every time you point out one of Douglas' "weaknesses" he does something smart.  Keep doing you, kevin.  You're a good omen.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I hope so. Experience is over rated, why do I need to watch a terrible bum QB who been in the league 10 years and can't complete a pass? Give me one of the young guys and let's see if we can develop them. At least then we can potentially flip them for draft capital. 

This is supposedly the most qb friendly system we're installing. Our staff should have no problem making Morgan look good and turning him into a future 2nd round pick.

Yep.  Give as many available snaps as possible to Wilson, James Morgan, and Mike White.  Why the rush to throw a terrible vet into the mix, whose only contribution will be stealing snaps away from the young QB's who need them?

If we add a veteran QB, might as well do it late in the offseason.  Let the kids get their work in all summer.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And Joe Douglas wisely assessed that Zach Wilson, with 0 pro starts, is already a better QB than Sam Darnold, with 38 starts.  

Even if Wilson pulls a Ryan Leaf he's already better than Darnold because he only took 1 draft pick to acquire. Interesting that some of the fans who are loathe to part with, hypothetically, a measly 4th rounder for an experienced veteran to back up Wilson because "draft capital," remain Darnold's most ardent believers despite the insane draft capital squandered on acquiring him.

Anyone who preaches draft capital and building through the draft should have a dart board with Darnold's face on it hanging in their garage.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Actually point out where I have been wrong?

There's no way to prove this until the results start showing up on the field, but every time you whine about Douglas not addressing a position of need, he does so, and it looks like a savvy move.  

I have a feeling you'll be eating an awful lot of crow about Joe Douglas beginning in 2021.

• Upvote 4

On 5/23/2021 at 9:40 AM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Being a mentor and a coach has little to do with how good you are as a player. I'd rather have Josh McCown mentoring Zach Wilson than Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. A mentor QB teaches the younger QB about work ethic and preparation. He has seen many plays from the sideline and can help with in game adjustments. There is a reason why you see guys like Chase Daniel stick around for so long. 

Josh McCown was so important, that’s why Darnold developed into a pro bowler... Oh wait. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Show me where I said "Josh McCown was so important." Show me where I said that good mentors turn bad players into pro bowlers. Oh wait, I didn't. 

I thought you were implying that it’s important to have a mentor type even if he’s not much of a player himself. I don’t think it matters that much and I d rather have a younger backup who might develop or have a better chance to win a few games. 

I would really like to know why some people view this as so important? Barring injury, Wilson will take close to every snap at QB this year. He has a bunch of terrific coaches to help develop him, as well as Beck (who has done a fantastic job and is likely the #1 QB coach over Palmer) and Steve Young for additional support. 

Plus if Zach were to get injured I would rather give reps to Morgan than some veteran that won't even be here next year.

The whole "veteran QB" thing really holds a lot of teams back in my opinion. 

Just think if the Rams insisted on a veteran backup for Green, or NE with Bledsoe. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's no way to prove this until the results start showing up on the field, but every time you whine about Douglas not addressing a position of need, he does so, and it looks like a savvy move.  

I have a feeling you'll be eating an awful lot of crow about Joe Douglas beginning in 2021.

He'll be slamming JD for neglecting the defense if Wilson blasts onto the scene.

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2021 at 8:06 AM, kevinc855 said:

The cockiness of JD sneaking up again as one of his weaknesses. We need a veteran. God for bod Zach gets hurt this season will go south quickly with no plan b

Jesus, I thought you went away after this draft.  Apparently you were just hiding in the shadows waiting for an opportunity.

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I thought you were implying that it’s important to have a mentor type even if he’s not much of a player himself. I don’t think it matters that much and I d rather have a younger backup who might develop or have a better chance to win a few games. 

Amen. The only way to win the QB lottery is to buy tickets. More the better. Don't want some JAG-o like CJ Brethard (whatever his name is) or Matt Moore.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Show me where I said "Josh McCown was so important." Show me where I said that good mentors turn bad players into pro bowlers. Oh wait, I didn't. 

His point stands.  McCown was loudly applauded here for being a great mentor, and his mentee is a bust (so far).

It somewhat diminishes the perceived value of the "keep a crappy QB on your roster to mentee the kid" if it doesn;t actually work or do anything worthwhile.

I'll repeat myself, if Wilson needs a Mentor, hire him a Coach to mentor him.  Backup QB needs to win games if called on, and have potential in a possible long-injury-to-#1 situation.  Mentoring is not a need.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, docdhc said:

A quarterback is either going to be good or not. Zach Wilson's success, or lack thereof is not going to be because of his back up QB. I do think that having a mentor type back up can expedite the process a bit. I use Josh McCown as an example of an awful QB who is a good mentor because seems to be on track to become a coach. The best coaches are often bad to average players. 

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

His point stands.  McCown was loudly applauded here for being a great mentor, and his mentee is a bust (so far).

It somewhat diminishes the perceived value of the "keep a crappy QB on your roster to mentee the kid" if it doesn;t actually work or do anything worthwhile.

I'll repeat myself, if Wilson needs a Mentor, hire him a Coach to mentor him.  Backup QB needs to win games if called on, and have potential in a possible long-injury-to-#1 situation.  Mentoring is not a need.

Logical fallacy. It didn't work with Sam Darnold, therefor it hasn't worked before or will work ever again. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2021 at 9:57 AM, Rhg1084 said:

Exactly, the keys to this franchise are now solely in the hand of Zach Wilson. What does it matter if his backup is Nick Foles, Brian Hoyer, James Morgan or whoever. If Wilson fails/gets injured or doesn’t work out for whatever reason then we’ll be back at square one looking for a new franchise QB

Exactly. Regardless, I am sure the Jets will bring in a vet at some point to compete. But ideally Morgan proves himself competent enough to be a backup. 

Guys like Geno Smith, Trace Mcscorely and Mason Rudolph are backups on Super Bowl contending teams. Why would a team like the Jets need a better QB than those scrubs? 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

A quarterback is either going to be good or not. Zach Wilson's success, or lack thereof is not going to be because of his back up QB. I do think that having a mentor type back up can expedite the process a bit. I use Josh McCown as an example of an awful QB who is a good mentor because seems to be on track to become a coach. The best coaches are often bad to average players. 

Josh Mccown was a great backup and great mentor and Sam Darnold still ended up sucking. Conclusion: the backup QB to a young Franchise QB is irrelevant. 

• Upvote 1