Are we really going to start the season with zero pro experience at the QB spot?

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No they need 100% commitment and support from the entire organization

Actually, you're both right.

The two are NOT mutually exclusive.

And nothing brings the best out of people more than competition.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No they need 100% commitment and support from the entire organization

As warfish said, there is validity in both points. Challenging someone to be their best isn’t a lack of commitment, it’s indicative of it.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

So you made many strong arguments for positions you weren't really making for nitpicky technical reasons that let you weasel out of the arguments you made? 

Got it.  Let me guess, Lawyer?

I like to argue with people who like to argue for the sake of arguing, and I did a mighty fine job against you. I defeated all of your faulty logic. Thank you for the fun.

No. Not a lawyer. Anything else you want to be wrong about?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not veteran QB's you'd want mentoring a young QB, which is what this whole stupid argument is all about in the first place.  Mitchell Trubisky isn't doing sh*t for Josh Allen.  Nor is RGIII doing anything for Lamar Jackson.

The last time Mike Glennon was signed by a team and then they drafted a QB, he pitched a hissy fit.  That's not a veteran mentor.  That's just a veteran who you hope can win a game or 2 if the young starter gets hurt.  Very different from what you're talking about regarding a veteran mentor, on the level of Josh McCown. 

Chase Daniel is a vet mentor.  Alex Smith is a vet mentor.  Vet mentors are guys who know their role.  They know they're a QB2 there to help a young QB along, not to try to steal his job.  

Moving the goal post again? 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And meanwhile, @TheNuuFaaolaExperience, you didn't explain why a guy like Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield still need a veteran mentor, or even did in 2020.

We're talking about a rookie QB here and you're throwing in established veterans, one of which is already potentially on a GOAT path.  Come on now.    

I NEVER SAID THAT A ROOKIE QB NEEDS A MENTOR. 

How many more times do I have to say that a QB doesn't need a mentor to be successful and not having one doesn't mean that they won't? 

7 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Moving the goal post again? 

You set the original goalposts then complained  and moved them when people called out the fallacy of the argument, my man.  Your argument is silly and it’s only getting worse as you dig a deeper hole. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You set the original goalposts then complained  and moved them when people called out the fallacy of the argument, my man.  Your argument is silly and it’s only getting worse as you dig a deeper hole. 

I didn't capitulate to your cries to be correct means that I dug myself into a hole? HAHAHAHAHAHA!

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I didn't capitulate to your cries to be correct means that I dug myself into a hole? HAHAHAHAHAHA!

You actually think that Matt Barkley can help a rookie QB, dude.

The goalposts haven’t just been moved they’ve been toppled.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

You actually think that Matt Barkley can help a rookie QB, dude.

The goalposts haven’t just been moved they’ve been toppled.

This is PRECISELY why you got handily defeated in a "debate" where I have been put in a position to defend a point I was NEVER making. In what world do I think that Matt Barkley can help a rookie? Learn how to argue. It saves you from embarrassment. Holy S! Did you just embarrass yourself. 

15 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This is PRECISELY why you got handily defeated in a "debate" where I have been put in a position to defend a point I was NEVER making. In what world do I think that Matt Barkley can help a rookie? Learn how to argue. It saves you from embarrassment. Holy S! Did you just embarrass yourself. 

You still don't know the point you were making then, lol.  Because you said precisely that because "an overwhelming number of coaches" pair a rookie with a veteran QB, you would do it too.  

This isn't a Harvard debate, it is a football message board.  Holy hell do you have a grand opinion of yourself.  You seem fun!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You still don't know the point you were making then, lol.  Because you said precisely that because "an overwhelming number of coaches" pair a rookie with a veteran QB, you would do it too.  

This isn't a Harvard debate, it is a football message board.  Holy hell do you have a grand opinion of yourself.  You seem fun!

lol. I do know the point I was arguing, lol. You don't, but that's ok. I don't win any awards for beating you in a debate. lol

lol

lol

lol

On 5/23/2021 at 8:10 AM, C Mart said:

JD is waiting for Foles to become available at his price.  

Foles' list of "students";

Wentz.  Minshew.  Trubisky.

None of those guys improved.  He must teach about as well as Freddy Shoop... before the field trips.

images(2).jpg.cd51e5aa0a324437d75bd78257acd36c.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Jesus, I thought you went away after this draft.  Apparently you were just hiding in the shadows waiting for an opportunity.

No one is ever wrong on the Internet. They just go into hibernation until conditions improve.

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. Regardless, I am sure the Jets will bring in a vet at some point to compete. But ideally Morgan proves himself competent enough to be a backup. 

Guys like Geno Smith, Trace Mcscorely and Mason Rudolph are backups on Super Bowl contending teams. Why would a team like the Jets need a better QB than those scrubs? 

They don’t. Teams like Jets should have different goals in QB2: upside over steady hand.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eh, I wouldn't say that.  Dude was making a few decent points when he knew what he was actually trying to argue. 

In that case, you may be guilty of a disproportionate response.

indiana jones gun GIF

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Foles' list of "students";

Wentz.  Minshew.  Trubisky.

None of those guys improved.  He must teach about as well as Freddy Shoop... before the field trips.

images(2).jpg.cd51e5aa0a324437d75bd78257acd36c.jpg

Careful.  After this post you'll be accused of cherry picking!

• Haha 1

As @jgb pointed out, you don't sign a guy like Foles to teach Zachkapono how to play QB.  You sign Foles to:  1) Provide legitimate summer competition for Wilson, and/or 2) to win you some games if Wilson gets hurt.  

But prior to doing something like that, can we wait and see what we have in James Morgan first, please?  Morgan is going to need every available snap this summer that does not go to Wilson.

• Upvote 1

Josh Mccown was a great backup and great mentor and Sam Darnold still ended up sucking. Conclusion: the backup QB to a young Franchise QB is irrelevant. 

And thats totally Illogical.

• Upvote 1

You have yet to show any evidence for your conclusion that a good veteran backup QB has an impact on a young QBs success.  

Other than the long list of established QBs who credit their veteran backups and the simple fact that teams continue to backup their young QBs with vets

That Darnold didnt develop with McCown as his backup indicates nothing about McCown other than he backed up a QB who couldnt develop

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2021 at 2:03 PM, kevinc855 said:

go ahead

Seriously....All you have to do is look at the 400 things you have criticized, and then chill.  JD is setting the groundwork.  Will it work?  WE DON'T KNOW!  It will take about three years to get the results.  That is the reality.  But what he has done blows away what has been done the past 12 years.  

If you can't see that, then no amounts of time wasted will help.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Seriously....All you have to do is look at the 400 things you have criticized, and then chill.  JD is setting the groundwork.  Will it work?  WE DON'T KNOW!  It will take about three years to get the results.  That is the reality.  But what he has done blows away what has been done the past 12 years.  

If you can't see that, then no amounts of time wasted will help.

All kevin wants to see is "2-14", ignoring that:  1) Mike Maccagnan caused that to happen, and 2) Our 2-14 season last year gave us high picks, meaning the 6-10 season we're about to have in 2021 will be followed swiftly by playoff-caliber season in 2022 and beyond, especially if Zach Wilson is turns out to be a top 12 or 15-ish kind of QB in this league.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/23/2021 at 7:12 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

And Joe Douglas wisely assessed that Zach Wilson, with 0 pro starts, is already a better QB than Sam Darnold, with 38 starts.  

We certainly will see how good or how poor Douglas' assessment skills are in week one when Wilson and Darnold go head-to-head. There won't be any speculations afterwards...just facts. Hopefully Wilson and the Jets come out on top, but it's possible Darnold can be the QB we all hoped he could've been while he was here.

• Haha 1

Just now, STLuLu said:

We certainly will see how good or how poor Douglas' assessment skills are in week one when Wilson and Darnold go head-to-head. There won't be any speculations afterwards...just facts. Hopefully Wilson and the Jets come out on top, but it's possible Darnold can be the QB we all hoped he could've been while he was here.

Sam Darnold sucks. 

• Upvote 2