Jump to content

Zach Wilson Ranked Among Worst NFL Starting Quarterbacks For 2021 Season


Recommended Posts

 

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-zach-wilson-ranked-among-worst-quarterbacks-2021-nfl-season

Zach Wilson Ranked Among Worst NFL Starting Quarterbacks For 2021 Season

He may be the No. 2 overall pick, but Zach Wilson still has a lot to prove at the next level.


PFF recently ranked all 32 starting quarterbacks and Wilson, set to embark on his first NFL season, was ranked 30th. The only other signal-callers listed below him were Jalen Hurts of the Philadelphia Eagles and Drew Lock of the Denver Broncos. 

Here's PFF's Bruce Gradkowski with more on Wilson's ranking among the worst quarterbacks in the league.

Wilson is as natural as it comes at throwing the football. He also brings the type of athleticism and off-platform throws we see from the best quarterbacks in the NFL. He had the highest single-season passing grade of the PFF College era (95.5). Only 13.6% of Wilson’s throws beyond the line of scrimmage were deemed uncatchable this past season, the lowest rate in the FBS. The big question will be how fast he can learn the playbook and adapt to the speed of the game. The biggest adjustment for young quarterbacks is how fast the pocket collapses — and making good decisions while it happens.


ADVERTISING


Wilson showcased his eagerness and commitment to get acclimated to Robert Saleh and Mike LaFleur's system in his first few press conferences with the media since getting drafted. That doesn't mean the adjustment to the next level will come easily, though.

At the very least, the Jets are striving to avoid the same narrative that held Sam Darnold back during his tenure in green and white. New York added a few targets at wide receiver in free agency (namely top target Corey Davis) before bolstering the offense even further with the additions of Alijah Vera-Tucker, Elijah Moore and Michael Carter in the draft.


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats a step up for a Jets QB - Darnold was ranked what 32nd right? Wilson is already better than Drew Lock and Jalen Hurts without taking a snap. Things are looking up!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t understand how he can be ranked without taking a snap. Don’t get me wrong, still not a fan. Thought Justin fields should of been the pick. But 30 out of 32? How about we at least she him play 1st

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ranking 32 starting QBs when several of them have never played a down in the NFL is definitely a silly exercise.

That said, if they're going to do it, it seems only reasonable to rank the rookies toward the bottom of the list. What ranking do people feel that Wilson should have gotten instead?


 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

Ranking 32 starting QBs when several of them have never played a down in the NFL is definitely a silly exercise.

That said, if they're going to do it, it seems only reasonable to rank the rookies toward the bottom of the list. What ranking do people feel that Wilson should have gotten instead?


 

Agree ranking rookie QBs who have never taken a snap against guys who have played many games is inherently a silly and frankly worthless exercise.

I just think this sort of ranking reeks of bias -- something tells me that if the Jets drafted Fields and the 9ers took Wilson (who they loved) these aren't the rankings.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Agree ranking rookie QBs who have never taken a snap against guys who have played many games is inherently a silly and frankly worthless exercise.

I just think this sort of ranking reeks of bias -- something tells me that if the Jets drafted Fields and the 9ers took Wilson (who they loved) these aren't the rankings.


Fair enough.

PFF's QB rankings have never been worth a damn, frankly. Ahead of the 2018 draft, they had the QB class ranked in this order:

Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Rosen
Lamar Jackson
Mason Rudolph 
Josh Allen

So....yeah. Not sure where their "advanced analytics" failed them on that one. You'd think such an elite brain trust of stats nerds could've seen Lamar Jackson coming, or could've projected Josh Allen higher than Mason freaking Rudolph.


 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

and even funnier...the verbiage explaining the ranking actually sounds like he should have been higher. 

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

Here's PFF's Bruce Gradkowski with more on Wilson's ranking among the worst quarterbacks in the league.

Wilson is as natural as it comes at throwing the football. He also brings the type of athleticism and off-platform throws we see from the best quarterbacks in the NFL. He had the highest single-season passing grade of the PFF College era (95.5). Only 13.6% of Wilson’s throws beyond the line of scrimmage were deemed uncatchable this past season, the lowest rate in the FBS

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

and even funnier...the verbiage explaining the ranking actually sounds like he should have been higher. 

 

She sounds like another Cheatriot jerker.

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ridiculous.  No one knows for certain whether this kid can perform.  No one.  But JD and Robert Saleh know a lot more about football than I do and I would bet they know a lot more about football than the person(s) who wrote that article.  They made the decision that they have a better shot with Wilson than Sam Darnold.  I watched the Jets draft a young, exciting QB 56 years ago and enjoyed watching his development which culminated in a Super Bowl,  Hoping that history will repeat itself.  Remember, until they start playing real games, its all BS

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So lets recap their logic.

Wilson was the best in college.

It has to determined how quickly he will absorb the playbook of a NFL team.

As is the case for every college QB.

Yet hes somehow behind Lawrence for what reason, theyre guessing Lawrence will and Wilson wont.  I get they're the only 2 college QBs we know will be starting so no Fields, Lance or Jones 

Stupid offseason nonsense to get clicks

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So lets recap their logic.

Wilson was the best in college.

It has to determined how quickly he will absorb the playbook of a NFL team.

As is the case for every college QB.

Yet hes somehow behind Lawrence for what reason, theyre guessing Lawrence will and Wilson wont.  I get they're the only 2 college QBs we know will be starting so no Fields, Lance or Jones 

Stupid offseason nonsense to get clicks

Yet, still higher than Sam last year. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Pay less attention to the dickbeaters. 

@Bronx

Another dickbeater: Zach Wilson Ranked Among Worst NFL Starting Quarterbacks For 2021 Season

 

Please refer to the section, Masturbation after 50, from the living healthier and stronger lounge topic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who cares? He hasn’t played a snap yet, so it doesn’t matter where he’s ranked.

getting upset about it is stupid. He could very well be the 30th best QB in the league. Or he might end up being top 10. Either way no one has a clue 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

He could very well be the 30th best QB in the league. Or he might end up being top 10. Either way no one has a clue 

Kind of everyones point

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Agree ranking rookie QBs who have never taken a snap against guys who have played many games is inherently a silly and frankly worthless exercise.

Except that's not what they did.

What they did was rank all starting QB's.  Which may also be a silly exercise, but it's one done all the time, every year.

What would you prefer, they just leave the Jets and Jags off the list then?  Because no one here would be offended by THAT either, amirite?  LOL.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I just think this sort of ranking reeks of bias -- something tells me that if the Jets drafted Fields and the 9ers took Wilson (who they loved) these aren't the rankings.

So where would you rank Wilson then?  Specifically?  What is the "not biased" ranking for Wilson?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...