Zach Wilson Ranked Among Worst NFL Starting Quarterbacks For 2021 Season

9 hours ago, Bronx said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-zach-wilson-ranked-among-worst-quarterbacks-2021-nfl-season

Zach Wilson Ranked Among Worst NFL Starting Quarterbacks For 2021 Season

He may be the No. 2 overall pick, but Zach Wilson still has a lot to prove at the next level.

PFF recently ranked all 32 starting quarterbacks and Wilson, set to embark on his first NFL season, was ranked 30th. The only other signal-callers listed below him were Jalen Hurts of the Philadelphia Eagles and Drew Lock of the Denver Broncos. 

Here's PFF's Bruce Gradkowski with more on Wilson's ranking among the worst quarterbacks in the league.

Wilson is as natural as it comes at throwing the football. He also brings the type of athleticism and off-platform throws we see from the best quarterbacks in the NFL. He had the highest single-season passing grade of the PFF College era (95.5). Only 13.6% of Wilson’s throws beyond the line of scrimmage were deemed uncatchable this past season, the lowest rate in the FBS. The big question will be how fast he can learn the playbook and adapt to the speed of the game. The biggest adjustment for young quarterbacks is how fast the pocket collapses — and making good decisions while it happens.

ADVERTISING

Wilson showcased his eagerness and commitment to get acclimated to Robert Saleh and Mike LaFleur's system in his first few press conferences with the media since getting drafted. That doesn't mean the adjustment to the next level will come easily, though.

At the very least, the Jets are striving to avoid the same narrative that held Sam Darnold back during his tenure in green and white. New York added a few targets at wide receiver in free agency (namely top target Corey Davis) before bolstering the offense even further with the additions of Alijah Vera-Tucker, Elijah Moore and Michael Carter in the draft.

PFF is supposed to be all about analytics yet they continuously run click bait articles with opinions that ignore their own ratings,

20 hours ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

Fair enough.

PFF's QB rankings have never been worth a damn, frankly. Ahead of the 2018 draft, they had the QB class ranked in this order:

Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Rosen
Lamar Jackson
Mason Rudolph 
Josh Allen

So....yeah. Not sure where their "advanced analytics" failed them on that one. You'd think such an elite brain trust of stats nerds could've seen Lamar Jackson coming, or could've projected Josh Allen higher than Mason freaking Rudolph.

Well they're numbers/analytics based and Josh Allen is a huge outlier there so it's not shocking they didn't love him. The fact that Allen has developed into a very good QB is really a statistical anomaly.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

Except that's not what they did.

What they did was rank all starting QB's.  Which may also be a silly exercise, but it's one done all the time, every year.

What would you prefer, they just leave the Jets and Jags off the list then?  Because no one here would be offended by THAT either, amirite?  LOL.

I mean, that would make more sense, really -- either excluding teams with presumed rookie starters or assuming the most experienced QB on the roster is the starter. (Granted the Jets literally do not have any QB experience at all on the roster, so uh, tough one there.)

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

So where would you rank Wilson then?  Specifically?  What is the "not biased" ranking for Wilson?

I probably wouldn't, because doing so is stupid. I have no clue how good Zach Wilson will be as an NFL QB and neither does anyone, including the list makers. It's 100% speculation and such a ranking is without any merit or value. Granted, they have clicks to make so I don't care much about this stuff, but I have zero doubt that if Wilson were drafted by a different team he'd have a different ranking.

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well they're numbers/analytics based and Josh Allen is a huge outlier there so it's not shocking they didn't love him. The fact that Allen has developed into a very good QB is really a statistical anomaly.

Exactly.  Allen mostly sucked his first 2 seasons in the pros, after sucking a lot in his 4 years in college, and yet we're all supposed to feel terribly about being wrong, with him finally succeeding at being a competent QB (and not just a runner) in year 3 as a pro?  His tenacious desire to get better at playing the position isn't exactly something measurable.

There's no real lesson to be learned, other than to suggest that maybe putting athleticism first isn't the worst way to go at QB (hence Trey Lance going so high this year), with work ethic a close 2nd.  It's hard to tell how a guy will make decisions at the pro level or process the game, but if he's athletically gifted he can make up for a lot of his deficiencies, and if he has a maniacal desire to get better, he just might. 

But we already kind of new about athleticism being important due to Cam Newton.  The maniacal work ethic part was what most of us did NOT pay much attention to or know about when it came to Allen.

Otherwise, I don't think we'll ever see another guy quite like Josh Allen, or if we do, it will be very rare.  His career turnaround was historically unprecedented, and you can't bank on that out of a QB.  

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, that would make more sense, really -- either excluding teams with presumed rookie starters or assuming the most experienced QB on the roster is the starter. (Granted the Jets literally do not have any QB experience at all on the roster, so uh, tough one there.)

Maybe, but I've never ever seen that.  Every ranking of X ranks all of the X they're ranking.  

57 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I probably wouldn't, because doing so is stupid. I have no clue how good Zach Wilson will be as an NFL QB and neither does anyone, including the list makers. It's 100% speculation and such a ranking is without any merit or value. Granted, they have clicks to make so I don't care much about this stuff, but I have zero doubt that if Wilson were drafted by a different team he'd have a different ranking.

Which is why a N/A is almost always below an actual known entity's Ranking.  

This may be one of the sillier things to even discuss, much less get unhappy over tbqh.