First Jets game in NY recommendations, advice?

8 hours ago, Tezza said:

Hello ye bunch of fine folk! 

The Mrs birthday is in a couple months and we are doing a family trip to NYC, it will be myself, my wife and at the time our youngest will just have turned 1 year old. We were looking at acquiring Jets v Patriots tickets and was wondering if anyone else has been to a game with a little one before and how was it? I believe she does not need a ticket though we are thinking of getting three tickets just to have more room and she can sit if she wants to. 

Is there any specific section that is a bit on the calmer/boring side that may be preferable for when taking a little one?
To be on the sidelines for warmups do you need special tickets or are those only for season ticket holders via a lottery?

Any local recommendations pre-game around the area that we should take in or good eats?

Oh and since Modell's is gone where is the best place in the city to get NY Jets merch or do I need to wait to pay the premium prices at the MetLife team store haha

Cheers! 

Ah!  Turning the wee one into a Jet Fan.  I turned the nephew into a Jet fan.  So I am going to hell.  It would appear you are going as well.  See you there!

image.jpeg.440a6b719f1564e8ca640ce280f9f956.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tezza said:

Thanks for the input everyone a lot of solid points, unfortunately I think we will give it a miss, maybe we may substitute it for a baseball game which will be less loud and a bit more kid friendly that a NFL opener ...still need to get myself to a Jets game! 

I have been to NYC a few times but always look for recommendations on placing to see and things to eat that the local tourist would not be aware of. We are staying in Chelsea for what its worth .....mods if you want to move this thread to the lounge section and rename it that would be awesome I don't want to take up and sway the conversation to non jets in the jets sub. 

Cheers! 

Good call. I’d wait on any sports event. Wait till the little one gets old enough to actually enjoy it as much as you (or at least some what) and it’ll be worth it. You just don’t want it to be a hassle and ruin the day for either of you. 

I’d just google when you’re visiting and see what events might be happening around that time. Could always walk around that new little island at pier55. If it’s a nice day, could be a good spot to walk around.  

• Upvote 1

Best time to take young kids to Jets games is the last home preseason game of the year. I think that trend started, the Jets noticed, and they started branding it as a feature - kids' day, or something similar. You can get tickets for near free, stadium won't be packed, and there will be lots of kids.

One is really young, though. I have to think back when I first started taking my son, but it definitely wasn't one. I used to take my son, get him a hot dog and a water while I had a beer. We'd watch the first half in my seats, then go down for halftime, buy a $20 Jets football and a cookie for him, then watch as much of the second half as possible on that mini football field on the big screen at the MetLife entrance while playing catch. That's a move a lot of parents make. Note that I now have like 10+ $20 Jets footballs. I took him to a lot of games, pre-pandemic.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tezza said:

Thanks for the input everyone a lot of solid points, unfortunately I think we will give it a miss, maybe we may substitute it for a baseball game which will be less loud and a bit more kid friendly that a NFL opener ...still need to get myself to a Jets game! 

I have been to NYC a few times but always look for recommendations on placing to see and things to eat that the local tourist would not be aware of. We are staying in Chelsea for what its worth .....mods if you want to move this thread to the lounge section and rename it that would be awesome I don't want to take up and sway the conversation to non jets in the jets sub. 

Cheers! 

Where are you coming from?

3 hours ago, Tezza said:

Cheers! 

There is a new park in Manhattan  built over one of the rivers. They called it Little Island. I think you will be a lot happier and saner going there than a Jets game. You need to make a reservation  to go so look into that. 

Ah!  Turning the wee one into a Jet Fan.  I turned the nephew into a Jet fan.  So I am going to hell.  It would appear you are going as well.  See you there!
image.jpeg.440a6b719f1564e8ca640ce280f9f956.jpeg
Same here .. w nephews ...my ass feels warmer every year.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Minnesnowta!

Perfect - Next year the Jets play at the Vikings.  Leave the kids at home and go to that instead.

What sort of things do you want to do in NY?  I seriously cannot recommend Bronx Zoo + Arthur Ave dinner enough.  If you’re staying in Chelsea, you can walk across the West side highway to a beautiful walking path and head in either direction.  You could even walk around the Southern tip of the city and over the Brooklyn Bridge.  Great family photo opportunities along the way, and end up at Grimaldi’s Pizza.  If you don’t want to cross the bridge, tons of Ferry’s you could hop on and see the city by water in that area.  Another good day is the Natural History Museum, Central Park, and even some 5th Ave shopping.  All walking distance to each other.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

22 hours ago, Tezza said:

our youngest will just have turned 1 year old. We were looking at acquiring Jets v Patriots tickets and was wondering if anyone else has been to a game with a little one before and how was it? I believe she does not need a ticket though we are thinking of getting three tickets just to have more room and she can sit if she wants to. 

Not a good idea.  I've watched people bring infants, babies and it is not fun for them (except for outside tailgating in the lots).  In fact, it's awful to have an infant or younger in the stadium.  It's too loud, crowded and uncomfortanle for them.  You'll be parenting 95% of the time and enjoying the game the rest.    I started bringing my son regularly at the age of 8.  Occasionally at 6 or 7.  But 8 was the sweet spot.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Perfect - Next year the Jets play at the Vikings.  Leave the kids at home and go to that instead.

What sort of things do you want to do in NY?  I seriously cannot recommend Bronx Zoo + Arthur Ave dinner enough.  If you’re staying in Chelsea, you can walk across the West side highway to a beautiful walking path and head in either direction.  You could even walk around the Southern tip of the city and over the Brooklyn Bridge.  Great family photo opportunities along the way, and end up at Grimaldi’s Pizza.  If you don’t want to cross the bridge, tons of Ferry’s you could hop on and see the city by water in that area.  Another good day is the Natural History Museum, Central Park, and even some 5th Ave shopping.  All walking distance to each other.

Freedom Tower is really nice too.  I've always loved the beauty of Central Park too.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Jets0712 said:

Inmo bringing a 1 year old to the Jet game is crazy. Just my opinion when my little ones got older I would take them to a preseason game. Less rowdy. More relaxed atmosphere when they were 9&6 game on!!!! They love going to the games

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Sit with @SAR I and only danger to the little one is boredom

Garden Party Ideas - Victorian Garden Party (PHOTOS)

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

This could be considered child abuse. Someone may report you.......

not because your taking a 1 year old to an nfl game but indoctrination as a jets fan!

My wife and I have been giving our son the out for years now.  Like us, the dope is a lifer.   Poor kid.  lol

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I seriously cannot recommend Bronx Zoo + Arthur Ave dinner enough.  

Honest question, and I'm not trying to be some PETA type lunatic:  But does the Bronx Zoo do a good job taking care of their animals up to regulations?  I ask simply because there's a zoo in my city (Wilmington, NC) that doesn't.  I only went once and never again because of how poorly they operated it (it had been grandfathered in so they somehow avoided modern regulations).  But I love zoos that do it right.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Honest question, and I'm not trying to be some PETA type lunatic:  But does the Bronx Zoo do a good job taking care of their animals up to regulations?  I ask simply because there's a zoo in my city (Wilmington, NC) that doesn't.  I only went once and never again because of how poorly they operated it (it had been grandfathered in so they somehow avoided modern regulations).  But I love zoos that do it right.

The governing body of all the NYC zoos is Wildlife Conservation Society.  It's worth doing some research on them: https://www.wcs.org/ if you're interested.

If a person's position is that all zoo's are inherently problematic, which isn't necessarily an unfair position, then I'm sure they'll find issues.

All I can tell you is that the Bronx Zoo is not some depressing place where the animals look unhappy, cooped up, or maltreated.  The zoo is 265 acres (you can't see it all in one visit), and I think is the largest, or 2nd largest to San Diego in the country.  This isn't some local zoo, and they make a big show of their conservation interests and efforts.  I'm sure it's far from perfect, but I always feel good going there.  My family has a yearly pass, if it tells you anything - but that's also mostly because it's cheaper to do that then it is to go 2x, but, we always enjoy it - and certainly wouldn't if the animals looked like they weren't in good shape.

• Upvote 3

Just now, TeddEY said:

The governing body of all the NYC zoos is Wildlife Conservation Society.  It's worth doing some research on them: https://www.wcs.org/ if you're interested.

If a person's position is that all zoo's are inherently problematic, which isn't necessarily an unfair position, then I'm sure they'll find issues.

All I can tell you is that the Bronx Zoo is not some depressing place where the animals look unhappy, cooped up, or maltreated.  The zoo is 265 acres (you can't see it all in one visit), and I think is the largest, or 2nd largest to San Diego in the country.  This isn't some local zoo, and they make a big show of their conservation interests and efforts.  I'm sure it's far from perfect, but I always feel good going there.  My family has a yearly pass, if it tells you anything - but that's also mostly because it's cheaper to do that then it is to go 2x, but, we always enjoy it - and certainly wouldn't if the animals looked like they weren't in good shape.

Awesome.  Yeah, I'm definitely not anti-zoo at all.  As long as a zoo is earnestly trying to do right by the animals I'm good with supporting it.  I might just need to take a trip to the Bronx Zoo next time I'm in NYC.  

Thanks!

Bronx Zoo is almost unrivaled in this regard ... in a good way

NC state zoo is massive... which I think is better overall ... Bronx Zoo is incredible ... but a little tight in comparison.

... this coming from an avid supporter of animal care/rights.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Awesome.  Yeah, I'm definitely not anti-zoo at all.  As long as a zoo is earnestly trying to do right by the animals I'm good with supporting it.  I might just need to take a trip to the Bronx Zoo next time I'm in NYC.  

Thanks!

Do It GIF

• Upvote 1

Sorry you backed out. Back in 55 me and my toddler friends went to Giant games at Yankee stadium without our parents.  We sat in the visitors section and spit up formula and breast milk on the opposing fans shirts.  

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

I know a lot about the Zoo.  My dad built the cogeneration power facility there.  It made it financially possible to build Jungle World and many other of the energy intensive exhibits which must be heated and/or cooled.  The construction was made possible by the old PURPA program which promoted energy efficient plants like the one at the zoo.  

The people who run the zoo do not see it as a zoo.  They see it as a conservation society which saves rare animals from extinction due to habitat destruction by creating a breeding population with enough genetic diversity to endure. 

You can go there with pride. 

Fantastic!  Love to hear that.  

• Upvote 2

On 5/26/2021 at 7:20 AM, TeddEY said:

Very true I can go with a few friends to that game. 

We have both been to NY a few times previously so some things we have checked off so some of this is doing what we enjoy the things we are definitely going to do as this is more of my wife's birthday trip and my daughters first time are: 

• Coney Island/ Shopping at Primark in Brooklyn, NY
  • Times Square - I believe the store is called Grand Slam NY, I enjoy their sports merchandise and getting some souvenirs for family.
  • Yankees game in lieu of missing out on NYJ opener?
  • 5th Avenue shopping ..aka my wife wants to go to Tiffany's and I am sure there is a Disney for the little one (Is the NBA Store the only sports league store)
  •  53rd/6th Ave for that amazing gyro cart
  • Central Park 

Questions: 

• Since Modell's is closed is there any specific chain now that carries a lot of sports equipment and merchandise like Modell's in the city, I enjoyed buying NY Sports team stuff from there as it was always current. I also enjoyed owning a Jets, Yankees or other NY team jersey knowing when I brought it home it is from NY! 
  • How far is the Bronx Zoo from Chelsea and is this 
  • Coney Island - We both have not been before is there anything specific along Brighton Beach we should view, and generally is this area free to enter and you pay per ride etc. 
  • Central Park - Any specific area we should go to ....is it beside the John Lennon Imagine that there is the small river with little archway bridge? I recall that area being nice with some nice seating ..potential picnic!.
  • My wife used to love going to the Century 21 store in the financial district - is this open again as I heard they briefly closed during the pandemic

On 5/26/2021 at 8:03 AM, Dcat said:

Not a good idea.  I've watched people bring infants, babies and it is not fun for them (except for outside tailgating in the lots).  In fact, it's awful to have an infant or younger in the stadium.  It's too loud, crowded and uncomfortanle for them.  You'll be parenting 95% of the time and enjoying the game the rest.    I started bringing my son regularly at the age of 8.  Occasionally at 6 or 7.  But 8 was the sweet spot.

Yeah, we are going to skip the Jets game for sure and go to a Yankees game instead, a bit less intense and we can walk around and go into the indoor sections ...I recall there were tickets you could get which granted you access to the Audi Mohegan Sun Club?

Mods if you would like to move this topic to the Lounge section feel free to do so as I know it has drifted away from discussing Jets. ?

On 5/25/2021 at 11:42 AM, More Cowbell said:

Hey, great time to start the kid off as a Jets fan. 

Going to a game with a little one can be a hassle. I mean you are there for about 3 hours and that is just the game. I would spring for the extra cash to get a parking pass close to the stadium. I'm not sure which side of the stadium is sunny and not but i would look to sit on the shady side, it can get pretty hot out in the sun especially  early in the season and that might be uncomfortable  for the little one. 

If you sit in the club section, it will be easy to run in and change the kid as opposed to the upper sections. 

As for Jets gear, buy it on-line. You basically pay the same price for the official stuff no matter where you go. 

You probably should find a babysitter for the game. You’ll have a better time knowing your child is safe.

@T0mShane offers a variety of child care services.

1 hour ago, Tezza said:

Very true I can go with a few friends to that game. 

We have both been to NY a few times previously so some things we have checked off so some of this is doing what we enjoy the things we are definitely going to do as this is more of my wife's birthday trip and my daughters first time are: 

• Coney Island/ Shopping at Primark in Brooklyn, NY
  • Times Square - I believe the store is called Grand Slam NY, I enjoy their sports merchandise and getting some souvenirs for family.
  • Yankees game in lieu of missing out on NYJ opener?
  • 5th Avenue shopping ..aka my wife wants to go to Tiffany's and I am sure there is a Disney for the little one (Is the NBA Store the only sports league store)
  •  53rd/6th Ave for that amazing gyro cart
  • Central Park 

Questions: 

• Since Modell's is closed is there any specific chain now that carries a lot of sports equipment and merchandise like Modell's in the city, I enjoyed buying NY Sports team stuff from there as it was always current. I also enjoyed owning a Jets, Yankees or other NY team jersey knowing when I brought it home it is from NY! 
  • Coney Island - We both have not been before is there anything specific along Brighton Beach we should view, and generally is this area free to enter and you pay per ride etc. 
  • Central Park - Any specific area we should go to ....is it beside the John Lennon Imagine that there is the small river with little archway bridge? I recall that area being nice with some nice seating ..potential picnic!.
  • My wife used to love going to the Century 21 store in the financial district - is this open again as I heard they briefly closed during the pandemic

Yeah, we are going to skip the Jets game for sure and go to a Yankees game instead, a bit less intense and we can walk around and go into the indoor sections ...I recall there were tickets you could get which granted you access to the Audi Mohegan Sun Club?

Mods if you would like to move this topic to the Lounge section feel free to do so as I know it has drifted away from discussing Jets. ?

• There's a store called Yankees Clubhouse as well as, I believe, a Champs Sports in Times Square area.  Champs Sports will be closest thing to Modells.  I usually just buy this stuff online, when I do, so I can't say much more.  You mentioned midtown and the Disney Store.  I don't know what it will be like Post-Covid, but M&M World is a good option too.
    • You didn't finish whatever you were writing here.  But, It's about 30min by car and an hour by train.  Worth the trip.
    • My opinion is that Coney Island is overrated.  You could check out Coney Island Brewery, but otherwise, I'd stop a the Nathans, and walk the boardwalk.  In the different amusement areas, it's all just pay as you go.
    • The Literary Walk/Mall, Bethesda Fountain, Belvedere Castle, Conservatory Pond, Boathouse, there's a couple playgrounds on the east side between 70th and 90th as well.  Honestly though, there's no right way to go to central park.  It's all very nice, and you can just wander.
    • No idea.