Jump to content

Denzel Mims Rookie Season Video


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

I didn't think there was that much tape on him.   Can I buy the Jersey of the person who produced that tape?

Don't bother.  That guy as an a**hole.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kmnj said:

those that mention Mims in the same breath with Julio a proven elite wr are simply out of their minds

 

Who are those people?  The ones who love Julio but dont think we need and aging vet who has a hard time staying on the field for a rebuilding team?

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kmnj said:

man the hype on him you guys are giving is nuts

dude had zero  tds and was outplayed by berrios and had zero hundred yard games all season

notice there were no tds on the tape

there were  other rookie wrs that had huge years and some had bad qbs too

I cant imagine what you guys would be doing if he actually produced like a stud=see  Jefferson ...

 

I hope for the guy to do well but lets wait until he accomplishes something before you crown  him

 

 

 

13 games, 22 receptions, 370 yards, 1 TD

 

That was the rookie season for Laveranues Coles.

Given the offense, the injuries, the QB, and the coach that Mims had (never mind that Gase seemed to despise playing rookies) I think we can read very little into what Mims did production-wise during his first year.  But that tape doesn't lie.  The guy showed his size, speed, route-running and hands.  I think he looks very, very promising.  Probably a high-end WR2.

By the way, that Laveranues guy... two years later - 89 receptions, 1264 yards, 5 TDs.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

 

13 games, 22 receptions, 370 yards, 1 TD

 

That was the rookie season for Laveranues Coles.

Given the offense, the injuries, the QB, and the coach that Mims had (never mind that Gase seemed to despise playing rookies) I think we can read very little into what Mims did production-wise during his first year.  But that tape doesn't lie.  The guy showed his size, speed, route-running and hands.  I think he looks very, very promising.  Probably a high-end WR2.

By the way, that Laveranues guy... two years later - 89 receptions, 1264 yards, 5 TDs.

Some types of fans expect HOF production during year #1. 

Those types of fans are absolutely clueless. 

Denzel Mims is by far the most talented outside Jets WR drafted since Keyshawn Johnson and in years two and three we're going to see why. 

His size, speed, hands and physically don't lie (Gase and Sam however, stunk). 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kmnj said:

anyone with eyeballs could see Mims and his production was terrible for his first year-I dont want to hear every excuse known to man-other  rookies greatly outproduced him and even  berrios  on his own team had a greater contribution and he is a total jaq

a nice rookie season was wayne c an undrafted free agent  who with a washed  boomer and a trash back up in bubby had 60+ catches 700+ yards and 4 tds

Mims was a very good prospect coming out of college-right  now he is what his stats say he is-a wr that went his first year with zero tds and zero 100 yard games

those that mention Mims in the same breath with Julio a proven elite wr are simply out of their minds

 

 

 

 

 

13 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Mims didn't have opportunities to catch and run. Play design was awful under Gase. Rarely did Sam/Joe hit Mims in STRIDE; that's going to change this year. 

However, Mims showed a lot of promise and I'm A+ excited to see this kid as a 2nd year player opposite of Davis (with both Moore and Crowder working the slots). 

2021 is going to be...

FUN!

Sam Darnold was #31 in deep ball accuracy last year. Mims runs a 4.38 (0.04 slower than Tyreek hill who is 5'' shorter). 95th percentile for all receivers. Size-adjusted, Mims is in unicorn territory.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, jgb said:

 

Sam Darnold was #31 in deep ball accuracy last year. Mims runs a 4.38 (0.04 slower than Tyreek hill who is 5'' shorter). 95th percentile for all receivers. Size-adjusted, Mims is in unicorn territory.

Crazy. 

Sam was also ranked like 47th out of all QBs in QB Rating. He was worse than backups. 

The ones who are judging Mims off of STATISTICS as a rookie are just as nuts as Adam Gase was while calling the plays. 

We're about to feature crazy speed on Offense. 

Mims (WR). 

Elijah (WR). 

Carter (RB). 

These young Jets can absolutely fly. 

And heck. Even Zach Wilson has speed and much faster than Sam could ever be. 

(Not sure how accurate but if so, wow)...

They say Zach Wilson runs a 4.44. Which would've been the fastest QB 40 yard dash recorded since RG3 ran a 4.41. 

With Zach's ability to run around in the backfield and EXTEND PLAYS omg Denzel Mims is going to have time to absolutely burn opposing CBs. 

Mims has true outside #1 WR talent. The most talent on the outside since #19. 

He's big. 6'3 (Julio Jones is also 6'3). 

Great size. 

He's strong.

Plays physical. 

He's blazing fast. 

Outstanding hands. 

He's tough as nails over the middle (led the Nation NCAA with catches IN TRAFFIC over the middle of the field).

Crazy leaping ability. 

Etc. 

In case some of these guys have already forgotten (because of Sam/Gase)...

We've got ourselves a true #1 WR in the makings in Denzel Mims. He's got future Superstar written all over his game. 

QB: Zach Wilson. 

#1 Mims. 

#2 Davis. 

Slot: Elijah Moore. 

That could be nuts. 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Crazy. 

Sam was also ranked like 47th out of all QBs in QB Rating. He was worse than backups. 

The ones who are judging Mims off of STATISTICS as a rookie are just as nuts as Adam Gase was while calling the plays. 

We're about to feature crazy speed on Offense. 

Mims (WR). 

Elijah (WR). 

Carter (RB). 

These young Jets can absolutely fly. 

And heck. Even Zach Wilson has speed and much faster than Sam could ever be. 

(Not sure how accurate but if so, wow)...

Screenshot_20210527-080105.thumb.png.a49f56951c124767b3ae13dbc65b27b4.png

217.52 kB · 0 downloads

 QB play affects WR production a heckuva lot more than WR play affects QB production. It is obvious using simple common sense alone. A good QB can produce if only one of his WRs gets a step on his guy. A good WR can only produce if the QB can get him the ball reliably those times he gets open.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jgb said:

 QB play affects WR production a heckuva lot more than WR play affects QB production. It is obvious using simple common sense alone. A good QB can produce if only one of his WRs gets a step on his guy. A good WR can only produce if the QB can get him the ball reliably those times he is the one to get open.

And good QB's also have the ability to "throw guys open".  How many times have we seen quality NFL QBs make a beautiful back-shoulder throw for a completion, despite a DB draped over his target?  If a WR has single coverage, a good QB given a bit of time can complete that pass at a high rate.  Darnold rarely, if ever, did that.  

Not to mention, QB's will often "throw it up there" on single coverage, looking for a flag even if a completion is unlikely.  Those plays don't show up in the stat sheet but they help win games.  Yet another thing strong QB's do that Darnold rarely, if ever, did.  

Let's hope Wilson is in that category of QB's who doesn't need a WR open, let alone wide open, to complete passes or draw penalties.  He at least can't be any worse than Darnold at that stuff.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And good QB's also have the ability to "throw guys open".  How many times have we seen quality NFL QBs make a beautiful back-shoulder throw for a completion, despite a DB draped over his target?  If a WR has single coverage, a good QB given a bit of time can complete that pass at a high rate.  Darnold rarely, if ever, did that.  

Not to mention, QB's will often "throw it up there" on single coverage, looking for a flag even if a completion is unlikely.  Those plays don't show up in the stat sheet but they help win games.  Yet another thing strong QB's do that Darnold rarely, if ever, did.  

Let's hope Wilson is in that category of QB's who doesn't need a WR open, let alone wide open, to complete passes or draw penalties.  He at least can't be any worse than Darnold at that stuff.

One of the knocks on Wilson is that he's a "see it, throw it" guy. That could just be because BYU enjoyed such a huge talent gap to most of their opponents in '20. Why throw guys open when they already are open? You're right, he needs to demonstrate that he can do that or learn to if he can't.

I also feel I need to say this in anticipation of the "criticism" that "JGB believes FQBs are magical ponies that can eat diarrhea and fart out rainbow soft serve." No. Weaponz are important. Just that the guy aiming and pulling the trigger is many times more so.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

People who don’t believe in Mims are going to be shocked this year. The kids the most talented receiver we’ve had in years by far, and the skill is catching up. He improved every year in college and I expect him to do the same this year. There is absolutely zero tape of him being played to his skill set after spending years in Baylor’s rigid system, and a year wasted under Gase. Denzel will flourish in the new system regardless of who’s playing qb, expect this to be the biggest year of his career so far. Oh and come 2022? Forget it.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nickfoshizal said:

People who don’t believe in Mims are going to be shocked this year. The kids the most talented receiver we’ve had in years by far, and the skill is catching up. He improved every year in college and I expect him to do the same this year. There is absolutely zero tape of him being played to his skill set after spending years in Baylor’s rigid system, and a year wasted under Gase. Denzel will flourish in the new system regardless of who’s playing qb, expect this to be the biggest year of his career so far. Oh and come 2022? Forget it.

He has to get on the field first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

The way the NFL operates now, Mims had better figure it out...and fast.  If not, he winds up on the huge NFL scap heap of "almost made it" receivers.

What are you even talking about man.

I like you, I really do.  It might even border on love.  But you're so far off on Mims it's like you're watching a different sport.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


Be careful 80. Sounds like “Munch” is a man-eater and I don’t want to see you on the scrap  heap of “receivers”

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I like you, I really do.  It might even border on love.

 

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

he winds up on the huge scrap heap of "almost made it" receivers.

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What are you even talking about man.

I like you, I really do.  It might even border on love.  But you're so far off on Mims it's like you're watching a different sport.  

I respect (adore possibly) you, as well as anyone else, who has a positive opinion of Mims.  Honestly.   But as with Darnold, I think he will be a major disappointment.   Just my opinion.  But I'm betting it turns out.

And what I was saying is that a guy like Mims, who was hurt and otherwise a disappointment last season, should have made a point of being at voluntary OTAs.   He has a good excuse (kid is ill, death in the family, crabs, etc.)?  Fine.  If not, get you ass on the field and start developing rapport with the new kid at QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I respect (adore possibly) you, as well as anyone else, who has a positive opinion of Mims.  Honestly.   But as with Darnold, I think he will be a major disappointment.   Just my opinion.  But I'm betting it turns out.

And what I was saying is that a guy like Mims, who was hurt and otherwise a disappointment last season, should have made a point of being at voluntary OTAs.   He has a good excuse (kid is ill, death in the family, crabs, etc.)?  Fine.  If not, get you ass on the field and start developing rapport with the new kid at QB.

 

Maybe its because of all the work he's put in that allowed him such a leash?

And he absolutely didn't "disappoint" when on the field last season.  That's the part you're wayyyy off on.  The QB sucked, Mims did not.  And he looked like one of the top rookie WR's in a loaded class when paired with Flacco, who could actually utilize his speed and deep threat abilities (which Darnold could not).

Again, if you think Mims disappointed, you weren't watching.  Plain and simple.  

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2021 at 7:29 AM, jgb said:

 

Sam Darnold was #31 in deep ball accuracy last year. Mims runs a 4.38 (0.04 slower than Tyreek hill who is 5'' shorter). 95th percentile for all receivers. Size-adjusted, Mims is in unicorn territory.

I always like it when people say I’m not listening to excuses. Haha, excuses stop being excuses when they’re  facts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I always like it when people say I’m not listening to excuses. Haha, excuses stop being excuses when they’re  facts. 

I've been consistent in saying a garbage QB can hold back weaepponz but that weaponnz can't make a secret-elite-QB-in-hiding look like the worst QB in the league.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jgb said:

I've been consistent in saying a garbage QB can hold back weaepponz but that weaponnz can't make a secret-elite-QB-in-hiding look like the worst QB in the league.

If anyone still isn't clear on your position on this topic by now, they must be brand new to JN.  lol.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If anyone still isn't clear on your position on this topic by now, they must be brand new to JN.  lol.

Until there is 100% message recall, I shall persist!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, nickfoshizal said:

True, I’d like to hope his career won’t take the devin smith route. Either way the talent is there. 

The "Devin Smith" route? 

The same Devin Smith who was drafted in 2015 but yet only has 5 NFL starts to this day? 

In comparison to Denzel Mims who already had 8 starts as only a rookie? 

There is a big difference when comparing a catastrophic ACL injury (Smith) to a rookie hamstring injury during training camp (Mims). 

Mims missed mostly all of the off-season and didn't make his debut until week 7; he then went onto play 9 of our next 10 games (100% and fully recovered). 

It's stupid to even MENTION the name of "Devin Smith" when regarding Denzel Mims. 

JET fans who label the likes of Becton/Mims as "injury prone" due to rookie dingers (during a pandemic off-season) are absolutely clueless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, munchmemory said:

And what I was saying is that a guy like Mims, who was hurt and otherwise a disappointment last season, should have made a point of being at voluntary OTAs.   He has a good excuse (kid is ill, death in the family, crabs, etc.)?  Fine.  If not, get you ass on the field and start developing rapport with the new kid at QB.

You were saying...? 

PS: throughout weeks 7-17 once Mims made his debut his average receptions per game and average receiving yards per game ranked top 5 amongst all Rookie WR's last year...

Fyi. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You were saying...? 

PS: throughout weeks 7-17 once Mims made his debut his average receptions per game and average receiving yards per game ranked top 5 amongst all Rookie WR's last year...

Fyi. 

 

He scare anybody?  Nope.  The problem is that as a team we have been conditioned to believe #2, #3 or #4 receives are #1s.   Right now, after last season, anyone sentient fan really believing Mims is a #1?  Not a chance in hell.

I'll stand with my opinion of Mims and his potential.   Ready for this?  I don't think he's on the team after next year.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

He scare anybody?  Nope.  The problem is that as a team we have been conditioned to believe #2, #3 or #4 receives are #1s.   Right now, after last season, anyone sentient fan really believing Mims is a #1?  Not a chance in hell.

I'll stand with my opinion of Mims and his potential.   Ready for this?  I don't think he's on the team after next year.  

From weeks 7-17 Mims ranked top 5 amongst all Rookie WRs in production in terms of receptions per game and receiving yards per game. 

Denzel Mims will absolutely be a Jet after next season. 

But you know who's no longer Jets?

A.) His awful head coach in Gase who was calling his plays. 

B.) His dreadful OC in Logains who's been fired alongside Gase. 

C.) His starting QB in Sam Darnold who was rated as the 47th QB in QB Rating (much worse than even BACKUPS).

D.) His backup QB in Joe who blows chunks. 

Etc. Etc. 

Any Jets fans who judge Mims talent and potential due to his rookie season? Are just as stupid as the Adam Gase who was FIRED!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta be honest guys.

To me, he played slow and looked stiff.  That may very well be because he wasn't comfortable in the offense and was thinking too much - but it was definitely concerning to me.

Now, his catch radius is amazing and he seemed to catch everything around him.

From what I've seen of Zach's film he has no problem throwing to covered guys and does a great job of putting the ball where only his receiver can catch it.  Mims can dominate with QB play like that.

If Mims can speed up his game we might have a special combo of Wilson to Mims...

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

From weeks 7-17 Mims ranked top 5 amongst all Rookie WRs in production in terms of receptions per game and receiving yards per game. 

Denzel Mims will absolutely be a Jet after next season. 

But you know who's no longer Jets?

A.) His awful head coach in Gase who was calling his plays. 

B.) His dreadful OC in Logains who's been fired alongside Gase. 

C.) His starting QB in Sam Darnold who was rated as the 47th QB in QB Rating (much worse than even BACKUPS).

D.) His backup QB in Joe who blows chunks. 

Etc. Etc. 

Any Jets fans who judge Mims talent and potential due to his rookie season? Are just as stupid as the Adam Gase who was FIRED!

As I tried to say earlier, the NFL is run differently today.  Gone are the days when a player was allowed to develop over many years.    Today, it's a right now league.  So what I'm saying is that Mims had better get it in gear and fast.  At least from what i saw last season (when he was actually on the field) he was okay, not anything to write home about.

I was one of the more vocal Darnold haters.  You want to blame Darnold and Gase for Mims average play?   I don't agree, but fine.  Will be fun to see if Mims makes the cut (oops did I say that?) or winds up with the other slag we have drafted for millennia.  I hope you're correct, but don'r believe you are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

The "Devin Smith" route? 

The same Devin Smith who was drafted in 2015 but yet only has 5 NFL starts to this day? 

In comparison to Denzel Mims who already had 8 starts as only a rookie? 

There is a big difference when comparing a catastrophic ACL injury (Smith) to a rookie hamstring injury during training camp (Mims). 

Mims missed mostly all of the off-season and didn't make his debut until week 7; he then went onto play 9 of our next 10 games (100% and fully recovered). 

It's stupid to even MENTION the name of "Devin Smith" when regarding Denzel Mims. 

JET fans who label the likes of Becton/Mims as "injury prone" due to rookie dingers (during a pandemic off-season) are absolutely clueless. 

Lmfao I said hes the most talented receiver we had in decades. I just threw a name out at the position that couldn’t get on the field, in response to someone saying denzel had to get on the field. Devin smith was trash if he never missed a  game imo, completely different players. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2021 at 8:04 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Crazy. 

Sam was also ranked like 47th out of all QBs in QB Rating. He was worse than backups. 

The ones who are judging Mims off of STATISTICS as a rookie are just as nuts as Adam Gase was while calling the plays. 

We're about to feature crazy speed on Offense. 

Mims (WR). 

Elijah (WR). 

Carter (RB). 

These young Jets can absolutely fly. 

And heck. Even Zach Wilson has speed and much faster than Sam could ever be. 

(Not sure how accurate but if so, wow)...

They say Zach Wilson runs a 4.44. Which would've been the fastest QB 40 yard dash recorded since RG3 ran a 4.41. 

With Zach's ability to run around in the backfield and EXTEND PLAYS omg Denzel Mims is going to have time to absolutely burn opposing CBs. 

Mims has true outside #1 WR talent. The most talent on the outside since #19. 

He's big. 6'3 (Julio Jones is also 6'3). 

Great size. 

He's strong.

Plays physical. 

He's blazing fast. 

Outstanding hands. 

He's tough as nails over the middle (led the Nation NCAA with catches IN TRAFFIC over the middle of the field).

Crazy leaping ability. 

Etc. 

In case some of these guys have already forgotten (because of Sam/Gase)...

We've got ourselves a true #1 WR in the makings in Denzel Mims. He's got future Superstar written all over his game. 

QB: Zach Wilson. 

#1 Mims. 

#2 Davis. 

Slot: Elijah Moore. 

That could be nuts. 

 

Crowder as your 4th WR and Michael Carter in the backfield...

I just wish we had a right G/T....Can't fix it all...

But yes, what an F-ing turn around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2021 at 8:04 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Crazy. 

Sam was also ranked like 47th out of all QBs in QB Rating. He was worse than backups. 

The ones who are judging Mims off of STATISTICS as a rookie are just as nuts as Adam Gase was while calling the plays. 

We're about to feature crazy speed on Offense. 

Mims (WR). 

Elijah (WR). 

Carter (RB). 

These young Jets can absolutely fly. 

And heck. Even Zach Wilson has speed and much faster than Sam could ever be. 

(Not sure how accurate but if so, wow)...

They say Zach Wilson runs a 4.44. Which would've been the fastest QB 40 yard dash recorded since RG3 ran a 4.41. 

With Zach's ability to run around in the backfield and EXTEND PLAYS omg Denzel Mims is going to have time to absolutely burn opposing CBs. 

Mims has true outside #1 WR talent. The most talent on the outside since #19. 

He's big. 6'3 (Julio Jones is also 6'3). 

Great size. 

He's strong.

Plays physical. 

He's blazing fast. 

Outstanding hands. 

He's tough as nails over the middle (led the Nation NCAA with catches IN TRAFFIC over the middle of the field).

Crazy leaping ability. 

Etc. 

In case some of these guys have already forgotten (because of Sam/Gase)...

We've got ourselves a true #1 WR in the makings in Denzel Mims. He's got future Superstar written all over his game. 

QB: Zach Wilson. 

#1 Mims. 

#2 Davis. 

Slot: Elijah Moore. 

That could be nuts. 

 

Mims needs to be on the field week in and week out for a complete season  first. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...