the worst 2002 NYJ first day pick? not Bryan Thomas

bitonti

Bit, I know you like Bryan Thomas, and I can understand why Terry took him. I also agree with you on Terry screwing up and not drafting the secondary help we needed and had available in round 2.

I do disagree on Thomas, though. After two seasons, the man is still a run stopper. He doesn't, can't get to the qb. I know he's raw, and I know he's a great athlete. It just doesn't translate on the field. And I'll tell you that you're wrong on Alex Brown. He has been a MUCH better DE than Thomas, despite Thomas having played with Ellis, Robertson and Ferguson. Hell, Thomas blew so much, Herm took his ass out against Pittsburgh and used Trevor Johnson.

My issue is that Thomas, because he was so raw, was the wrong pick at the time. We had Abe and Ellis. We also, unfortunately had Damien Robinson, and an upgrade was in serious need. The problem was Herm and Co. trying to change Ellis into a DT after Fergie went down. Yes, you are correct, the sting would be much slighter, had Terry made the proper picks and drafted Lewis, Sheppard, or Reed.

You know your stuff, and I aprreciate and respect your thoughts and posts. One thing I've learned from you is value. The other thing about the Thomas pick was that Terry reached for him. Was his value that high, to warrant us taking him in round one? Again, what makes the Brown pick for Chicago so good, was that he was selected in the 4th round.

Who's Ed Reed?

Oh, him.

TB: Ed Reed is such a boring name. Not enough syllables. Let's take someone who at least sounds like a football player.

HEd: TB, the time is running out. We have to make a pick.

TB: What do you know about time.

HEd.: TB, this team has a history of Blair Thomas, Browning Nagle, we need to reverse the trend.

TB: Yeah, Browning Nagle. Now THAT guy sounds like a football player. Okay, we're taking BT.

I do disagree on Thomas, though. After two seasons, the man is still a run stopper. He doesn't, can't get to the qb.

he gets great push and many hurries - sacks are not the only stat -

just off the top of my head there have been times i have seen with my own eyes BT force the QB (p manning) into key 3rd down incompletion in the red zone due to hurry - that doesn't go down in the boxscore but it's a big play -

i've also seen BT have a sack removed from his stat line due to the QB intentionally grounding the ball - "loss of down - 4th down"

in 2002 everyone said Ellis was a bust because he wasn't getting any sacks - led the team in QB hurries but no sacks -

im not going to say those are equivalent situations - because granted Thomas might never get to the pro bowl for sacks - but he's still a valuable player and it wouldnt surprise me if he was with the NYJ longer than Johnny Abe

this is both of their contract year - Abe is threatening to hold out and Thomas is planning on OTA on April 3rd

yeah ok Thomas will never be Abes he will probably not make multiple pro bowls and be special - but he's at least a "good starter" that has toughness & heart - and in crunch time (playoffs) that's worth more than yourself and most other jets fans are giving him credit for.

ill take the guy that will show up with his hardhat and lunch pail over the guy that has 1 strike left on the substance abuse program and only plays in meaningless games

consistantly good is better than inconsistantly great JMO

ps- thanks for the kind words =D>

Quote: ust off the top of my head there have been times i have seen with my own eyes BT force the QB (p manning) into key 3rd down incompletion in the red zone due to hurry - that doesn't go down in the boxscore but it's a big play -

i've also seen BT have a sack removed from his stat line due to the QB intentionally grounding the ball - "loss of down - 4th down"

Good stuff, bit. Really good :)

he gets great push and many hurries - sacks are not the only stat -

just off the top of my head there have been times i have seen with my own eyes BT force the QB (p manning) into key 3rd down incompletion in the red zone due to hurry - that doesn't go down in the boxscore but it's a big play -

in 2002 everyone said Ellis was a bust because he wasn't getting any sacks - led the team in QB hurries but no sacks -

im not going to say those are equivalent situations - because granted Thomas might never get to the pro bowl for sacks - but he's still a valuable player and it wouldnt surprise me if he was with the NYJ longer than Johnny Abe

this is both of their contract year - Abe is threatening to hold out and Thomas is planning on OTA on April 3rd

yeah ok Thomas will never be Abes he will probably not make multiple pro bowls and be special - but he's got heart and in crunch time (playoffs) that's worth more than yourself and most other jets fans are giving him credit for.

I was waiting for you to respond :D

No, I realize that there is more to the game than simple sacks, in fact I was going to include that in my post, but it was long enough :D .

Yes, hurries/pressures are very important, and often go unnoticed, unless you're actually watching the game. Thomas does pressure the QB, but even so, I want more. I need more. From our #1 draft pick, I expect more. Yes, DE's have a difficult job, and I know he's raw, but, so was Carlos Hall, who was picked in the 7th round that year. Has Thomas improved? Yes, but how much? DE's do not have the learning curve that WR and QBS have. Like RB's, they either have it or they don't.

What really disappointed me, was 2003, when Abe was out and Thomas started 10 games. It was his time to shine, and I waited for something, anything, and here I am, another year removed, and still little.

He has the tools, but I'm still hoping and waiting for him to finally reach.

Archived