Jets sign Matt Burke for game-management role

1 minute ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Surprised by the negative takes here - how many times in the past have we seen our HCs make stupid game clock decisions. Even if this is just getting a friend a job this guy is a former D Coordinator who will be responsible for game management decisions. It doesn't impact our payroll or anything - just Woody's pockets - so who gives a sh*t. I love that Saleh is emphasizing the importance of game management decisions and I love having another experienced coach in the locker room. Whats to dislike here?

Don't disagree but it does always make me chuckle to think how many NFL coaches seem to make poor game/time management decisions. They are at the height of their profession. It would be like a professional gambler not knowing Basic Blackjack Strategy. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

There is no salary cap for Coaches.

So please, hire as many as we need to do the job.

If Saleh wants a hand with clock and replay support, great!  I don't want our Coach thinking he has to do it himself.

If this helps Saleh, it helps the Jets, and that's good enough for me.

This 100%. Get the most robust, useful staff you can. There isn't really a downside.

Seems like this guy will help out with clock management, replays, and maybe situational stuff (when to go for it vs. not) to ease the burden on Saleh.

I like the fact that they're thinking about this stuff now rather than waiting until Saleh makes a mistake to address it, frankly.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Don't disagree but it does always make me chuckle to think how many NFL coaches seem to make poor game/time management decisions. They are at the height of their profession. It would be like a professional gambler not knowing Basic Blackjack Strategy. 

Heck I cos h grade school girls basketball and there sometimes too many things going on to accurately make all the right decisions and calls.  I think this a great idea to have so that it’s a couple of less things the HC has to be paying attention to.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Morrissey said:

It's important to note the Jets have a rookie head coach, a rookie OC and  DC with 1 year experience.

Not even a full year, right? Wasn't he elevated to fill-in after a firing at some point in-season? I remember this because I was skeptical  of the hiring because he wasn't retained by the Falcons after his audition at the position 

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Surprised by the negative takes here - how many times in the past have we seen our HCs make stupid game clock decisions. Even if this is just getting a friend a job this guy is a former D Coordinator who will be responsible for game management decisions. It doesn't impact our payroll or anything - just Woody's pockets - so who gives a sh*t. I love that Saleh is emphasizing the importance of game management decisions and I love having another experienced coach in the locker room. Whats to dislike here?

I have very little doubt the reaction would've been substantially different if this hire would have been made 3 or 4 months ago.  Tough to get too excited about a guy that not a single team in the league thought was worthy of any job at all throughout this offseason.  I'm not going to hate on it, because the more money/effort the team is willing to put in to improve, the better, but there's nothing to suggest there's some amazing get for the guy who the highlight of his career is as the DC of a terrible Dolphins teams under the immortal Jets fan-favorite, Adam Gase.

Clock management mistakes can cost you games.  And replay challenges can be crucial too.

Matt Burk is an experienced coach.  Should be able to be helpful in not only taking pressure off a rookie HC.  But also a rookie QB in being more efficient in the 2 minute warning situations. 

I can easily imagine heads here exploding...if there's a f***up on clock or challenge issues...and it factors into Jets ending up losing a close and winnable game. 

Good to see FO-HC looking to be as prepared as possible...to quickly handle various game situations as they may arise.  

It's all about being thorough and prepared.  For maximizing the Win total.  It's part of the NYJ culture change that's taking place here.  

I luv it.

• Upvote 1