Jets sign Matt Burke for game-management role

2 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Surprised by the negative takes here - how many times in the past have we seen our HCs make stupid game clock decisions. Even if this is just getting a friend a job this guy is a former D Coordinator who will be responsible for game management decisions. It doesn't impact our payroll or anything - just Woody's pockets - so who gives a sh*t. I love that Saleh is emphasizing the importance of game management decisions and I love having another experienced coach in the locker room. Whats to dislike here?

What do you expect from some of the clowns on here. Par for the course!

2 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Surprised by the negative takes here - how many times in the past have we seen our HCs make stupid game clock decisions. Even if this is just getting a friend a job this guy is a former D Coordinator who will be responsible for game management decisions. It doesn't impact our payroll or anything - just Woody's pockets - so who gives a sh*t. I love that Saleh is emphasizing the importance of game management decisions and I love having another experienced coach in the locker room. Whats to dislike here?

Thank you......

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Gase was pretty good at time management. When you're getting blown out it doesn't matter what you do in the final two minutes of the game.

for the most part yes, but there were a couple games where he had followed even th emost basic clock maagement he might ahve give his team a chance..but yes he was terrible.

• Haha 1

Having seen a guy like Kliff Kingsbury goof up everything from timeout usage to challenges, I have zero problem with hiring a guy like Burke to assist a rookie HC who is already expanding his scope from simply coaching defense to overseeing all three phases of the game as a managerial type head coach.

Credit to JD and Saleh for supplementing the coaching staff like this instead of being stubborn-minded about thinking they couldn't use some help in an area like this for a first-time head coach.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

6 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Usually this is for clock management and replay challenges

Maybe even when to go or not go on 4th down. Just like the areas you mentioned you make a mistake in any one of these cases and you lose the game. Do it in multiple games and you lose them all. I believe we have had our share of bad game manager HCs.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

No, but the Jets signed this act for halftime shows:

cQ_1pJhg9BpVi71Eik-W81RBRG3x_RmfuAL9vsCY

There is something about the person in the middle and the person on the right (who looks like a young "Jaws" from the James Bond movies) that give me the heebie jeebies.

• Haha 3

Isn’t anything new. Belichick has had a booth guy for decades. 

Adams says he works on a number of facets of the game, including coaching, scouting the draft, and managing the salary cap. He’s in the coaches’ booth for every game with a direct line to Belichick’s headset.

Adams thought back to a 1981 game between the Giants and the Rams where Adams, then an assistant, watched then-Giants defensive coordinator Bill Parcells call a goal-line defense out in open field to get a stop. Adams says he called down to the field from the booth and told Belichick to implement a goal-line defense against Oakland, which Belichick did. The Patriots got the stop, and the rest, well, is history.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2020/12/06/the-mysterious-ernie-adams-discusses-role-with-patriots-and-long-friendship-with-bill-belichick

Nice hire assuming he can perform the job well.

Game management is a very overlooked aspect of the game and can have meaningful impacts on wins vs. losses. I see nothing wrong with hiring someone specifically focused on analyzing game situations and making sure nothing gets overlooked or slips through the cracks while there are a hundred different things going on at once. It's an extra voice on the headset that's dedicated to analysis and making sound strategic decisions in real time.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Youre surprised by the negative takes?

LOL

8 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Tough to get too excited about a guy that not a single team in the league thought was worthy of any job at all throughout this offseason.

Because the validity of a hire by the Jets is judged by how many others tried to hire him?  Nobody tried to hire LaFluer, Ulbrich or any of our asst coaches.  

Who cares, its an assistant, another set of eyes and ears for Saleh

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because the validity of a hire by the Jets is judged by how many others tried to hire him?  Nobody tried to hire LaFluer, Ulbrich or any of our asst coaches.  

Who cares, its an assistant, another set of eyes and ears for Saleh

If it is your belief that all of those assistant coaches would be unemployed today if not for their positions with the Jets, then yes that should absolutely be a very serious point of concern.  However, there's no evidence to suggest that would be the case for any of the others you mentioned.  A number of them were actually already employed at the time, and simply allowed to move to the Jets because of receiving promotions.

That's not to say there's no opportunity for success with the move, but this particular hire was coveted by absolutely no one, including the Jets, throughout the first 4 months of the offseason.  I have no problems with the move and am certainly rooting for it to work out, but any claims of the supposed brilliance of this particular hire has no basis in reality whatsoever.

28 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

If it is your belief that all of those assistant coaches would be unemployed today if not for their positions with the Jets, then yes that should absolutely be a very serious point of concern.  However, there's no evidence to suggest that would be the case for any of the others you mentioned.  A number of them were actually already employed at the time, and simply allowed to move to the Jets because of receiving promotions.

That's not to say there's no opportunity for success with the move, but this particular hire was coveted by absolutely no one, including the Jets, throughout the first 4 months of the offseason.  I have no problems with the move and am certainly rooting for it to work out, but any claims of the supposed brilliance of this particular hire has no basis in reality whatsoever.

I just dont judge hires off of other teams.  How many teams needed or wanted the position he was hired for?   Who says the Jaguars are smarter than the Jets/JD or any team.  Im not waiting for validation that hes a good hire or not off of offers from other teams.  Especially in support roles, who even knows who or if anyone was interested in him.  How many teams have a coach to communicate analytics?  Who worries about who "coveted" him, come on

Thats all.

• WTF? 1

From Saleh's description of his role sounds like Burke  will have plenty to do to keep him busy and will be a great resource for Saleh and other coaches. Smart move, good investment. Jets are ticking all the boxes.

On 5/26/2021 at 5:54 PM, thebuzzardman said:

No, but the Jets signed this act for halftime shows:

cQ_1pJhg9BpVi71Eik-W81RBRG3x_RmfuAL9vsCY

I have so many questions about this.  For starters, why are there only 3 people in this photo when they're labeled as a quartet?  Maybe the dude on the far right is considered 2 different people because of the lazy eye?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I have so many questions about this.  For starters, why are there only 3 people in this photo when they're labeled as a quartet?  Maybe the dude on the far right is considered 2 different people because of the lazy eye?

Dick comes with two friends so the better question is why isn't it a Quintet?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1