CJ Mosley will he play and where will it be?

New York Jets LB C.J. Mosley says he has 'added chip' after 'two-year hiatus'

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Since signing a record-setting contract with the New York Jets in March 2019, linebacker C.J. Mosley has collected $29 million even though he has yet to play a complete game. He knows there are naysayers out there.

"There's a little added chip [on his shoulder] because you've always got your fans that are going to heckle," Mosley said Thursday in his first interview since opting out in 2020 due to COVID-19 concerns. "When I get back on the field, I definitely want to make sure they respect the name again."

Mosley was a big name after making four Pro Bowls with the Baltimore Ravens, a status he parlayed into the richest free-agent contract ever for an inside linebacker -- five years, $85 million. He suffered a severe groin injury in the 2019 opener, aggravated the injury in his comeback game a few weeks later and that was that. He eventually had surgery.

EDITOR'S PICKS

The injury and the opt-out resulted in "a two-year hiatus," as he called it. Now he's trying to regain his old form under a new coaching staff and with a new defensive scheme. Mosley, who turns 29 on June 19, is confident he can regain his Pro Bowl form.

"Yeah, I don't have any doubts in myself," he said after the team's third OTA practice. "I mean, Gronk took two years off [one, actually] and won a Super Bowl, so it is what it is. I'm here, so we'll let the play do the talking."

Mosley didn't give a specific reason for why he opted out, except to say it was "a tough decision." He consulted with family members and coaches, even the Jets' team psychologist. In the end, he felt it was best for his family that he sit out.

A lot happened while he was gone. The Jets finished 2-14, and coach Adam Gase was fired. The first free-agent signing under new coach Robert Saleh was middle linebacker Jarrad Davis, the 2017 first-round pick of the Detroit Lions. That sparked immediate speculation about Mosley's future. At the time, the Jets were open to trading Mosley, sources said, but his contract is immovable. He's still owed another $14 million in guarantees.

Saleh called Mosley a "very powerful mover. Obviously, we can't tackle, but you can see a lot of power -- his movement, and he eats up a lot of ground."

The plan is to start Mosley and Davis in their 4-3 front, although their exact positions haven't been determined yet. The Jets don't have many impact players on their roster, so they could really use the old Mosley, circa 2018.

"My body feels great," he said. "I'm mentally happy, I'm physically happy, I'm emotionally happy. I'm just happy to be back on the field.

"When you're out for a while, you're always in your head, thinking, 'When I get back, how's it going to feel? Am I going to be able to move like I used to?' After finishing this week, I feel great."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31522558/new-york-jets-lb-cj-mosley-says-added-chip-two-year-hiatus

If he plays, will he make an impact?  That chip on his shoulder is a Dorito.  Do you think he can contribute?  If so let's hear what your prediction is for him in terms of sacks and tackles.

I don't give a sh*t what he does. He played half a game and shut down the Bills run game 2 years ago. He got paid already and didn't want to be here last year. I'd trade him for free after last season. Hopefully Salah can wake him up cause we're stuck with the contract 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

New regime and new system. I hope he can make an impact, because at his best he is a pro bowl talent and great leader on the field. But he is just another body in camp at this point with a lot to prove. JD won't have any problem cutting him if he isn't the same player or doesn't fit their scheme. 

All the positivity surrounding Mosley so far is encouraging, but it could also be Mosley trying to rebuild his rep around the league in case the Jets cut him. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

One of the many wildcards entering this season for us. 

But, if he's healthy and motivated, I expect him to be good on the field, because he's always been good on the field. 

I'll believe it when he's playing in a real game. 

• Upvote 1

i don't see where all the negativity comes from.  mosely is a darn good player.  granted we should all be from missouri and he has to show me but if he's a man of his word then he's going to be good.  and i wouldn't worry too much about how he will fit into saleh's system.  if saleh's the coach we all hope him to be he'll find the right place for mosely to be.

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

You guys are delusional. He's the best player on the team. Who else has 4 pro-bowls? Guarantee he's the most respected player in the Jets locker room.

He's missed 31.5 games in a row.

I think you can hate the signing, respect the player and question how he effective he'll be next season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

He's missed 31.5 games in a row.

I think you can hate the signing, respect the player and question how he effective he'll be next season.

Agree, my beef is with those who dis-respect the player. 

4 hours ago, Jethead said:

You guys are delusional. He's the best player on the team. Who else has 4 pro-bowls? Guarantee he's the most respected player in the Jets locker room.

Seriously. People on here acting like he forgot how to play football. Sure, he'll be rusty and not as fast as he was when he was in Baltimore. But the dude can still ball out. He steps in as the starter. Nobody is taking that job from him. If Davis has difficulty adjuting to OLB (he shouldn't) MAYBE, Saleh considers playing Mosley there out of desperation, but thats not gonna happen. Hes playing Mike and he will be the leader of this defense.

Obviously he has to stay healthy. Every player does. That comes with the territory- you gotta stay on the field. But motivation won't be an issue.